Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dusty Baker Fired

Started by cubsfan5150, October 04, 2013, 08:48:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cubsfan5150

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9767640/dusty-baker-cincinnati-reds-manager-sources-say

I'm not so sure that this is the right move for Cincinnati... no clue who'd they'd go after, but I'm assuming it'll be someone that buys into sabermetrics more.
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

johnny cash

McKdaddy

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on October 04, 2013, 08:48:40 am
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9767640/dusty-baker-cincinnati-reds-manager-sources-say

I'm not so sure that this is the right move for Cincinnati... no clue who'd they'd go after, but I'm assuming it'll be someone that buys into sabermetrics more.

What was your opinion of Dusty during his time in CHI?  The guy has been a winner everywhere he's been.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

jbcarol

Could be a promote-from-within.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jrulz83

I've always thought he was way overrated, he's an average manager.

What has Baker ever done in the postseason but choke?

Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

jbcarol

Weatherman tried to save face after the embarrassing finishing stretch.

Some claim he may have lost it during the Pirate series.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

cubsfan5150

Quote from: McKdaddy on October 04, 2013, 10:12:20 am
What was your opinion of Dusty during his time in CHI?  The guy has been a winner everywhere he's been.

He's proven himself to be a very good manager, at least during the regular season.  Did he help ruin Wood and Prior's careers?  That's debatable, but what's not debatable is that he wins everywhere he goes. 

He took the Cubs farther than they'd been in at least 20 years, and you could debate that he took them farther than they'd been since 1945.

If the Reds can replace Baker on the level that SF replaced him (Alou) then it could be a positive for the organization, but unless they go pluck Girardi or someone on that level, that organization could see a steep fall in the coming seasons. 

Pittsburgh is poised to be on top of the division for several seasons if St. Louis has any type of veteran decline from their aging stars... It's going to be tough for the Reds to keep up.

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

cubsfan5150

Quote from: jrulz83 on October 04, 2013, 01:31:43 pm
I've always thought he was way overrated, he's an average manager.

What has Baker ever done in the postseason but choke?

In my opinion, managers help you make it to the post season, but players make or break the post season.

Is Ron Washington considered a choke because he players couldn't get one freakin out?

jbcarol

pigture perfect

I for one am glad he's out of the NL Central, oops. He may return to the Cubs. I think he is a very dangerous manager.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jrulz83

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on October 04, 2013, 08:20:26 pm
In my opinion, managers help you make it to the post season, but players make or break the post season.

Is Ron Washington considered a choke because he players couldn't get one freakin out?

Yes, because there was a Game 7 that they didn't recover for. You have heard the pregame speech by Washington before Game 7 right?

Obscenity Warning!!!

Meanwhile, TLR went individually to every player and told them that if they don't put Game 6 in a box and celebrate it after they win Game 7, the amazing game that was Game 6 counted for nothing.

Baker choked during the Bartman Ball game for the same reason. His team couldn't recover from a freak thing that happened. Look, I think Baker is a fair to slightly above average manager, but is he great? Not in my mind.

Dr. Starcs

That logic is somewhat flawed.

'11 ws had more to do with getting one game rained out and giving carpenter an extra day of rest.

That and homefield advantage.

Managers are given too much credit/blame for success/failure of a team.

jrulz83

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on October 05, 2013, 04:30:15 pm
That logic is somewhat flawed.

'11 ws had more to do with getting one game rained out and giving carpenter an extra day of rest.

That and homefield advantage.

Managers are given too much credit/blame for success/failure of a team.

Okay, if the manager doesn't have much to do with wins and losses, is Joe McCarthy managing your team or Roy Hartsfield?

Dr. Starcs

If you wanna believe its more about managers than players, it would be futile for me to debate you.

jrulz83

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on October 05, 2013, 07:10:52 pm
If you wanna believe its more about managers than players, it would be futile for me to debate you.

Did I type that it was more about managers? Ummm....no. Of course players have to perform well and do their jobs. That's not debatable, only a complete moron thinks player success or failure does not have greater influence on team success than a manager making moves. I completely agree with you on that point.

All I'm saying is that a manager can make a team 5 to 15 percent better or worse in regard to wins, losses, and postseason success.

I stand by my statement that Baker is just an above average manager. That said, do I think I could have his success... Definitely not; however if managers don't have something to do with wins and losses maybe I could.    ;D

Dr. Starcs

Rather than just making a blanket statement that Baker is overrated, why don't you give specific examples of how he is and how he's choked in the playoffs.

I would agree with you that a manager can be worth maybe 10% of a teams success.

jrulz83

Okay, how about in 1993; San Francisco had a 9.5 game lead in the NL west on August 7, lost the lead to the Braves and missed the playoffs.

2002 World Series San Francisco led 3 games to 2, led game six 5-0 in the seventh inning, and the Angels scored 6 runs in the last three innings to win game six and won game seven.

2012 Reds, led San Francisco 2-0 in the NLDS and couldn't win one game at home.

2013 Reds, lost their final six games and were listless in the Wildcard game

Never won a World Series.

Dr. Starcs

And what exactly did he do to lose those games

jrulz83

cubsfan5150

Quote from: jrulz83 on October 06, 2013, 03:39:21 pm
Okay, how about in 1993; San Francisco had a 9.5 game lead in the NL west on August 7, lost the lead to the Braves and missed the playoffs.

2002 World Series San Francisco led 3 games to 2, led game six 5-0 in the seventh inning, and the Angels scored 6 runs in the last three innings to win game six and won game seven.

2012 Reds, led San Francisco 2-0 in the NLDS and couldn't win one game at home.

2013 Reds, lost their final six games and were listless in the Wildcard game

Never won a World Series.

Hey, Jack McKeon is a better manager than Dusty Baker then huh?

I'm assuming you determine who the best QB is based on SB wins?

jrulz83

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on October 06, 2013, 06:41:30 pm
Hey, Jack McKeon is a better manager than Dusty Baker then huh?

I'm assuming you determine who the best QB is based on SB wins?

I do not, but is Tony Romo a great quarterback?

I just think Baker is not as great as everybody thinks, to me he's above average and that's it. If you think he's the Muhammad Ali of baseball managers that's fine, I just can't see it.

cubsfan5150

Quote from: jrulz83 on October 07, 2013, 04:28:28 pm
I do not, but is Tony Romo a great quarterback?

I just think Baker is not as great as everybody thinks, to me he's above average and that's it. If you think he's the Muhammad Ali of baseball managers that's fine, I just can't see it.

Far from it... I think he's a proven winner that a team could do much worse than.

As far as Romo... top 5 all-time in QB rating, but I'm sure he's far from that in ESPN QBR, he's a choke artist like I've never seen.

jrulz83

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on October 08, 2013, 12:00:45 am
Far from it... I think he's a proven winner that a team could do much worse than.

As far as Romo... top 5 all-time in QB rating, but I'm sure he's far from that in ESPN QBR, he's a choke artist like I've never seen.

Sorry for going Romo there. He has to be the worst fumbler ever, always at the most inopportune time. Surprisingly he's #7 in the NFL this season in Total QBR.

I completely agree that they could do way worse, especially if they promote from within ie: Riggleman. He's supposedly a good baseball guy and all that, but I'd want Baker way  way before him.

I think they'll make a play for Girardi if he's available, but I don't see that happening.

cubsfan5150

Quote from: jrulz83 on October 08, 2013, 02:35:54 am
Sorry for going Romo there. He has to be the worst fumbler ever, always at the most inopportune time. Surprisingly he's #7 in the NFL this season in Total QBR.

I completely agree that they could do way worse, especially if they promote from within ie: Riggleman. He's supposedly a good baseball guy and all that, but I'd want Baker way  way before him.

I think they'll make a play for Girardi if he's available, but I don't see that happening.

They'd have to come at Girardi with at least $7M IMO... Girardi is going to the Cubs or staying with the Yanks.  Book it.

jbcarol

JoePos: DUSTY BAKER'S GREAT SIN WAS NEVER WINNING THE BIG ONE
Deposed Reds manager has won 90 games nine times, but never the World Series

QuoteDusty's a good guy, he commands respect, and, as if to amplify that point, Jon Heyman writes that in his last days with Cincinnati he was trying to protect his hitting coach, Brook Jacoby.

No, from my viewpoint, sabermetrics did not doom Dusty, at least not directly. It was something else, something more basic. Dusty Baker -- like Marty Schottenheimer, like George Karl, like Eddie Sutton -- had the exasperating knack of building terrific teams that did not win championships. And sooner or later -- usually sooner -- time just runs out on those kinds of coaches and manager.

Look at Baker's career. Twenty years. Eight 90-win seasons. Three Manager of the Year awards. The year before he came to San Francisco, the Giants lost 90 games. His first year, they won 103. The year before he came to Chicago, the Cubs lost 95 games. His first year, they won 88, and were a clean inning away from the World Series. The seven years before he came to Cincinnati, the Reds had losing records. In his third season, the Reds won 90 and topped the National League Central.

A one-game playoff is a dreadful way to determine which team is better. Heck, a three-out-of-five series isn't a great way either. But Bud Selig and the baseball owners determined -- rightly, I suspect -- that most baseball fans like these short and dramatic and erratic showdowns, one game for all the marbles, three wins for the right to advance, win or lose, stand or fall, do or die. And so this is the way the game is played, and the Reds lost to the Pirates, and Dusty Baker was shown the door. Here's your hat, what's your hurry?

It's not exactly fair. But it is the way of the world. Dusty Baker says he wants to manage again, and I'm guessing that will happen. See, there's a clear baseball pattern. A terrible team wants to become respectable. When you are under a rock, the biggest thing you can dream of is seeing the sun...

jrulz83

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on October 08, 2013, 03:59:29 am
They'd have to come at Girardi with at least $7M IMO... Girardi is going to the Cubs or staying with the Yanks.  Book it.

I predict Yankees, the Reds can't afford him, but the NL Central could get really interesting if the Cubbies landed that fish.

clutch

Quote from: jrulz83 on October 08, 2013, 09:59:12 pm
I predict Yankees, the Reds can't afford him, but the NL Central could get really interesting if the Cubbies landed that fish.

The Cubs are the only other team that has a chance I think since he's a Chicago guy. Still figure he stays in NYC though. He's got kids in school there so his family is pretty settled in. He played there too. Plus, you don't just leave the Yankees.

jrulz83

Quote from: clutch on October 08, 2013, 10:26:18 pm
The Cubs are the only other team that has a chance I think since he's a Chicago guy. Still figure he stays in NYC though. He's got kids in school there so his family is pretty settled in. He played there too. Plus, you don't just leave the Yankees.

You never know what will happen, I'm shooting in the dark, with my eyes closed, while running on a treadmill during an earthquake, but I don't see him leaving NYC. Maybe Washington as a dark horse, but highly unlikely.

jbcarol

October 22, 2013, 06:31:54 am #29 Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 06:42:35 am by jbcarol
Quote from: jbcarol on October 04, 2013, 11:23:52 am
Could be a promote-from-within.

Reds are expected to name Bryan Price their manager today.