Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why This Man is Not On the Cardinal Wall with His Jersey Number Retired is Beyond Me

Started by Root66, May 23, 2013, 12:04:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Root66

Last man in the National League to win the triple crown. His #7 should be proudly displayed along with every other retired Cardinal jersey...

http://baseballhall.org/hof/medwick-joe

cubsfan5150

Quote from: Root66 on May 23, 2013, 12:04:26 am
Last man in the National League to win the triple crown. His #7 should be proudly displayed along with every other retired Cardinal jersey...

http://baseballhall.org/hof/medwick-joe

I'm guessing it's the fact that he only spent a little over 50% of his career with STL.  Not that it makes it right or wrong, just my guess.
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

Root66

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on May 26, 2013, 06:06:04 am
I'm guessing it's the fact that he only spent a little over 50% of his career with STL.  Not that it makes it right or wrong, just my guess.

I would agree EXCEPT Schoendienst played 11 of 18 years with the Cardinals, Slaughter 13 of 21, Dean 6 of 10, Sutter 4 of 12 and Rogers Hornsby played 13 of 23. All had their most productive years as a Cardinal as did Ducky Joe Medwick.

So that was a good guess but Joe Medwick's jersey number 7 needs to be in the stadium display of #s and his photo needs to go on the wall...even if it does cut down on advertising space.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Root66 on May 26, 2013, 12:58:02 pm
I would agree EXCEPT Schoendienst played 11 of 18 years with the Cardinals, Slaughter 13 of 21, Dean 6 of 10, Sutter 4 of 12 and Rogers Hornsby played 13 of 23. All had their most productive years as a Cardinal as did Ducky Joe Medwick.

So that was a good guess but Joe Medwick's jersey number 7 needs to be in the stadium display of #s and his photo needs to go on the wall...even if it does cut down on advertising space.

Maybe Harry Caray wasn't the only one to have an affair with Gussie Busch's wife...?
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Root66

Quote from: Oklahawg on May 26, 2013, 09:18:14 pm
Maybe Harry Caray wasn't the only one to have an affair with Gussie Busch's wife...?

Would have had to be Sam Breadon's wife. I think Medwick would have been way too old for August Busch's III wife.

Root66

http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/8fed3607

Ten times he was named to the National League All-Star team; he won the circuit's Most Valuable Player Award in 1937; and in that same year he became the league's last batter to win the Triple Crown by leading the loop in batting average, home runs, and runs batted in during the same season. Yet perhaps Joe Medwick is better remembered for being banished from a World Series game by Commissioner Kenesaw Mountain Landis than for his exploits on the field....more

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

It's certainly interesting. I would understand if his numbers away from the Cardinals were better or even the same as with them, but looking at his numbers, it's clear his best years came with STL. Compare his numbers to Red Schoendienst (and his retired number), and it's very similar even with him playing 4 less years with the Cardinals. Joe's OPS is actually MUCH higher with the Cards than Red. And this isn't a knock on Red, he's one of the best Cardinals ever. It's truly a mystery.
ched come back pls