Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coaching Openings

Started by WilsonHog, November 26, 2014, 10:47:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy "theused4wheelerdealer" Watkins from Conway

2-2.  Called UF coach, even though at this time it's not set.  Foley's still waiting to see if he called 2 agents bluffs.  Still possible that a late push by some bull gators forces foley to hire Mullen.

Pork Twain

I find it interesting to watch who other universities go after and how they conduct their searches.  Especially after watching several of these unfold at Arkansas.  This year we have Nebraska, Michigan and Florida and I bet none of them will hire a HC that would have satisfied what many on Hogville were looking for in our last hire.

This guy would have bombed on MMQB.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11972234/florida-gators-continue-meet-colorado-state-rams-coach-jim-mcelwain-coaching-vacancy

Florida
Nebraska
Michigan
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Wildhog

I really like McElwain.  What he's done at CSU is remarkable.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

hogman99

Quote from: Wildhog on December 03, 2014, 11:38:36 am

He seems like a very good coach. 

wildturkey8

McElwain would win big at Florida.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Wildhog on December 03, 2014, 11:38:36 am

Yeah, but can you imagine the average fan's reaction on Hogville and Sports Talk shows?

Heck, a coach with 3 Big 10 Championships didn't please some.

kp72204

I'd be lying if i said i thought he would be a good fit, but i was holding out for Chris Peterson.

bao187

is it finally Kirby Smarts time for a head coaching spot?
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

woopigsooie1222

I would love Dan Mullen to leave the SECw. He's a great coach IMO. I was hoping Freeze would leave but that dream died yesterday
The South Will Rise Again!

The Boar War

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 03, 2014, 11:41:50 am
Yeah, but can you imagine the average fan's reaction on Hogville and Sports Talk shows?

Heck, a coach with 3 Big 10 Championships didn't please some.

Razorback fans are passionate but their knowledge of the college football scene is limited. I'm convinced most fans had never even heard of Coach Bielema.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 03, 2014, 11:36:45 am
I find it interesting to watch who other universities go after and how they conduct their searches.  Especially after watching several of these unfold at Arkansas.  This year we have Nebraska, Michigan and Florida and I bet none of them will hire a HC that would have satisfied what many on Hogville were looking for in our last hire.

This guy would have bombed on MMQB.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11972234/florida-gators-continue-meet-colorado-state-rams-coach-jim-mcelwain-coaching-vacancy

Florida
Nebraska
Michigan
All of them will likely hire a coordinator or a HC from a small school.  Michigan is the only one with more than an outside shot at a big name, and that only because Harbaugh is going to be fired and is a Michigan guy.
All Gas, No Brakes!

The_Iceman

Pork Twain

Good Lord!  Please delete this thread.  How did I miss the one stickied at the top of the page?  I don't know.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

hogsanity

Quote from: kp72204 on December 03, 2014, 11:43:09 am
I'd be lying if i said i thought he would be a good fit, but i was holding out for Chris Peterson.

Chris " yes we could kneel on it 3 times and beat Arizona, but lets hand off and risk a fumble instead--- oh crap we did fumble and now we lost on a last second field goal " Peterson.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Tim Harris

I love watching coaching searches and following them regardless of the program involved.  Most every fan base has unrealistic expectations as to what coach they can get.  Money is similar in all the big conferences so you either have to find someone who is looking for a change like Bielema was, someone with ties to your area/university, or you go hire someone at a smaller school.

Also one of my favorite parts is that message boards are very good at spending someone elses money.  You see it with HC searches as well as with assistants.  Go pay this guy whatever it takes we have to have them.

Grag T

Quote from: woopigsooie1222 on December 03, 2014, 11:44:37 am
I would love Dan Mullen to leave the SECw. He's a great coach IMO. I was hoping Freeze would leave but that dream died yesterday

no comment, just staring at your avatar... hubba hubba hubba hubba hubba hubba hubba
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live;  it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.  Unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them.  Selfishness always aims at creating around it an absolute uniformity of type."  - Oscar Wilde

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 03, 2014, 12:34:31 pm
Finalizing the Deal:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2270453-florida-head-coach-search-latest-news-and-rumors-on-position
If I were the CSU AD I wouldn't budge and inch (or $) from the $7.5 million buyout. Sorry but if someone like UF wants my HC then they can darn well pay up for the privilege of signing him. CSU holds all the cards and shouldn't let the gators off the hook. Besides, it's not as if UF can't afford to pay the bucks.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: Deep Shoat on December 03, 2014, 11:53:39 am
All of them will likely hire a coordinator or a HC from a small school.  Michigan is the only one with more than an outside shot at a big name, and that only because Harbaugh is going to be fired and is a Michigan guy.

i'd be surprised if florida hires a coordinator more than any of the others.
The rest of the frog.

cj_sez

Seems folks here in Ft. Collins/Larimer County, CO are a bit puzzled that UF would consider McElwain.

Tim Harris

Quote from: cj_sez on December 03, 2014, 02:43:46 pm
Seems folks here in Ft. Collins/Larimer County, CO are a bit puzzled that UF would consider McElwain.

I think everyone is.  The AD of another team generally doesn't fly in for a visit, stay the night, and then leave without the coach.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Tim Harris on December 03, 2014, 02:46:18 pm
I think everyone is.  The AD of another team generally doesn't fly in for a visit, stay the night, and then leave without the coach.

Unusual they would post this:

GatorZone Football @GatorZoneFB
We've had very productive conversations with Coach McElwain and his wife Karen and those continue.

Hawg n GA

Anyone believe what Saturday Down South is saying Nebraska is pursuing Bielema ?

Porked Tongue

Quote from: Hawg n GA on December 03, 2014, 05:14:06 pm
Anyone believe what Saturday Down South is saying Nebraska is pursuing Bielema ?
I believe that some want him.

reddogjcss

reddogjcss

PETRINO to Nebraska Chizik DC

Quickdraw

Ole Florida gonna have to pay the 7.5 mill to get McElwain on the plane. Hold to your guns Colorado State!

shotgun7

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on December 03, 2014, 01:56:07 pm
If I were the CSU AD I wouldn't budge and inch (or $) from the $7.5 million buyout. Sorry but if someone like UF wants my HC then they can darn well pay up for the privilege of signing him. CSU holds all the cards and shouldn't let the gators off the hook. Besides, it's not as if UF can't afford to pay the bucks.

Reports I have seen are the plane came back empty... UF refuses to pay all of the buyout and CSU wont budge on it. Will be interesting to see if UF ponies up or goes another direction. I am surprised they (UF) has been as public about it as they have with the twitter release and all.

The_Iceman

Deal Done!

Brett McMurphy  @McMurphyESPN

Jim McElwain/CSU cleared up buyout issues, McElwain agrees to be UF's coach sources told @ClowESPN

longpig

Quote from: Quickdraw on December 03, 2014, 11:13:47 pm
Ole Florida gonna have to pay the 7.5 mill to get McElwain on the plane. Hold to your guns Colorado State!

Indeed.  CSU knows if Florida won't pay it, someone else will.  They know Florida knows it too.  It's a perfect scenario for them, having the only outstanding HC outside the power 5 and a huge buyout in his contract.   Well played Colorado State.
Don't be scared, be smart.

woopigsooie1222

Quote from: Grag T on December 03, 2014, 12:58:45 pm
no comment, just staring at your avatar... hubba hubba hubba hubba hubba hubba hubba

I'm doing the same for yours ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
The South Will Rise Again!

Keyser Sooieze

Dayum!  Not sure if the "clearing up buyout issues" thing meant they ended up paying, or what, but got me thinking, is that a common fund-raising strategy at smaller schools? Stick a huge buyout clause into the contract  in case the guy shows he's an up-and-comer who'll be interesting to the powerful schools--7.5 mil sounds unusual after 3 years. 
http://blogs.denverpost.com/colleges/2014/11/30/memo-dart-throwers-heres-jim-mcelwains-initial-7-5-million-buyout/32688/
"I'm not going to go through everything again here. Except I'm going to emphasize this one point: If Florida (i.e., Florida boosters) pays Will Muschamp $6.3 million to go away and then the minimal $7.5 million buyout to get McElwain out of his CSU deal, even my University of Colorado math can figure out that that's $13.8 million ... before McElwain coaches a game.

Right. That's no pressure on you or your family. And the boosters own you. Period."

Pork Twain

Pork Twain

Boardon Hamsay

I hear Nebraska may be snagging Mike Riley from Oregon State.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

MrKnowItAll

https://twitter.com/Huskers/status/540558986706034688

Coach Riley comes to the #Huskers after 14 seasons as the HC at Oregon State, leading OSU to 93 wins and a 6-2 record in postseason.

The_Iceman

Pork Twain

The_Iceman

Not a bad hire for Nebraska. Given the situation Mike Riley is in at Oregon State, he has done a very good job there. His small program has to go against Oregon in state, then Washington, USC, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona State, etc.

Dropkick

Riley will do well there IMHO

A.Ziffle

Quote from: Nathan "Rumplepigskin" Mattox on December 04, 2014, 10:10:28 am
Dayum!  Not sure if the "clearing up buyout issues" thing meant they ended up paying, or what, but got me thinking, is that a common fund-raising strategy at smaller schools? Stick a huge buyout clause into the contract  in case the guy shows he's an up-and-comer who'll be interesting to the powerful schools--7.5 mil sounds unusual after 3 years. 
http://blogs.denverpost.com/colleges/2014/11/30/memo-dart-throwers-heres-jim-mcelwains-initial-7-5-million-buyout/32688/
"I'm not going to go through everything again here. Except I'm going to emphasize this one point: If Florida (i.e., Florida boosters) pays Will Muschamp $6.3 million to go away and then the minimal $7.5 million buyout to get McElwain out of his CSU deal, even my University of Colorado math can figure out that that's $13.8 million ... before McElwain coaches a game.

Right. That's no pressure on you or your family. And the boosters own you. Period."

The deal agreed on by CSU and Florida is that UF will pay $3 Million to CSU over 6 years and then host CSU in Gainsville somewhere down the road with a guaranteed $2 Million payout.

McElwain will also pay $2 Million to CSU over time.

Florida gave McElwain a 6 year deal worth $3.5 Million a year.

Doug

Damn, both the SEC and B1G just got stronger.

McElwain's a *very* good coach.

Nebraska snagging Riley blows me away. As others have noted... it's tough to be in the Pac-12. Next to the SEC, the Pac 12 is the strongest conference. Any team can beat another on any day of the week... and there's a TON of historic rivalries in both the North and South divisions. The Civil War and Apple cup are ALWAYS epic battles... the competition amongst southern california teams is brutal. Not to mention the Arizona teams.

Once Riley gets his pieces into place with Nebraska, the B1G West is gonna be brutal between the Huskers and the Badgers. More often than not, the winner of the Huskers/Badgers game will generally go to the B1G CG.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

HF#1

Riley was an awful hire. Just awful. He sucked in the PAC12 and will suck at Nebraska.

I'm glad we have Jeff Long and not Nebraska's AD.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

The_Iceman

Quote from: HF#1 on December 04, 2014, 02:58:43 pm
Riley was an awful hire. Just awful. He sucked in the PAC12 and will suck at Nebraska.

I'm glad we have Jeff Long and not Nebraska's AD.

You've got to have a pretty narrow minded view of college football to say Riley "sucked". Consider the program he was at, the resources he has, the conference and competition, and the recruiting base.

Between 2006 and 2014, Riley averaged 7.2 wins a season at Oregon State. That included a 10 win season and three 9 win seasons. This is having to go up against a powerhouse Top 10 team within his own state, as well as UCLA, USC, Stanford, Washington, and the recently successful Arizona and Arizona State, and now Utah.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: woopigsooie1222 on December 04, 2014, 10:09:35 am
I'm doing the same for yours ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Ya'll should totally make out...
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

redneckfriend

Maybe it has been mentioned but SI says the Nebraska job was offered to Bielema.

A.Ziffle

Quote from: redneckfriend on December 04, 2014, 06:20:04 pm
Maybe it has been mentioned but SI says the Nebraska job was offered to Bielema.

Wow...

ChicoHog

Quote from: kp72204 on December 03, 2014, 11:43:09 am
I'm glad we did not get him.  I bet UW will be at best of the middle of the road Pac 12 team over the next few years. 

Pork Twain

I think Nebraska screwed the pooch two hires in a row

hog.goblin

If two, then definitely 3 in a row for Nebraska

opineonswine

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 05, 2014, 08:09:56 am
I think Nebraska screwed the pooch two hires in a row

I hear Oregon State fans are happy campers...so there's that.