Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

River Flooding

Started by claytoris, December 30, 2015, 09:06:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

claytoris

I'm not real familiar with Memphis.  The river is supposed to exceed flood stage Saturday.  Any concerns with travel to and around Memphis?

BorderPatrol

That name, though....good job!

bp

Jackrabbit Hog

No.  Anywhere you'd need to go you'll be fine.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

NashvilleHog

Quote from: claytoris on December 30, 2015, 09:06:31 am
I'm not real familiar with Memphis.  The river is supposed to exceed flood stage Saturday.  Any concerns with travel to and around Memphis?

None whatsoever.  Memphis is up on a bluff.  There may be some backwater flooding into Nonconnah Creek or the Wolf River, but those are not in areas where you would be going. 

You'll see water on the Arkansas side from Mound City Rd all of the way to the bridge. 
On gameday at Neyland Stadium you can count the number of people with full sets of teeth on one hand.

claytoris

Quote from: NashvilleHog on December 30, 2015, 09:18:00 am
None whatsoever.  Memphis is up on a bluff.  There may be some backwater flooding into Nonconnah Creek or the Wolf River, but those are not in areas where you would be going. 

You'll see water on the Arkansas side from Mound City Rd all of the way to the bridge.

Right on.  Thanks a lot.

HogimusMaximus

you will be good to go eastbound and down, just keep on truckin.

longpig

I read that it's expected to get into some parts of Mud Island.
Don't be scared, be smart.

PonderinHog

Everything's better when wet.  You, of all people, should know this.   ::)

Hog N Bama

If the Mississippi River bridge in Memphis is covered in water, we are ALL in trouble!

hawgwash

Tequilin' Time

Quote from: PonderinHog on December 30, 2015, 12:29:16 pm
Everything's better when wet.  You, of all people, should know this.   ::)

well played.

dhornjr1

Quote from: BorderPatrol on December 30, 2015, 09:15:05 am
That name, though....good job!

bp

I literally laughed out loud when I saw his name.

Pigsknuckles

December 30, 2015, 07:44:35 pm #12 Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 07:58:25 pm by Pigsknuckles
Keep waiting for the Old River Structure to disintegrate and the Atchafalaya capture the Mississippi. Nobody talks much about the economic impact of that event.

It's a long read, but if you can, peruse this article from The New Yorker. If you are like me (poor soul) you will end up googling up similar related publications. The implications of this, almost certain event, are huge.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1987/02/23/atchafalaya
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Inhogswetrust

December 30, 2015, 10:20:16 pm #13 Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 10:36:34 pm by Inhogswetrust

99% of Memphis does not flood. There are a few low lying areas that do. Only once have I seen it onto Riverside Drive next to the river and only at one short area. Nobody should have any problem unless they are planning to go "mudding" on the Wolf River bottoms.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: longpig on December 30, 2015, 11:46:21 am
I read that it's expected to get into some parts of Mud Island.

It has periodically done that but rarely and not covering the whole peninsula. That's right it is a peninsula not an island. The northern most part of it where it is a housing development and neighborhood connects by land to the rest of Memphis.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hog N Bama on December 30, 2015, 12:32:25 pm
If the Mississippi River bridge in Memphis is covered in water, we are ALL in trouble!

It would look like the gulf coast all the way to Crowley's Ridge!

Boardon Hamsay

Your name is too distracting to answer this. Just give it a moisture check on the way in and go from there.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Scarlett Johansson's Liberally and Amply Slathered Frito Pie on December 30, 2015, 10:25:39 pm
Your name is too distracting to answer this. Just give it a moisture check on the way in and go from there.
If you see a man in a boat when you cross the river, it's probably the ghost of Old Tom Lee, a legendary Memphis hero.