Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TE AJ Williams Commits to Michigan - FYI

Started by ChildPlease..., April 22, 2011, 12:28:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ChildPlease...

He was among the top TE prospects we had an offer out to and a seemingly good chance with. Luckily TE won't be a huge priority for us though after last year's class.

The Hogfather

April 22, 2011, 12:38:58 pm #1 Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 12:41:01 pm by The Hogfather
There will be a prime spot open in a less than a year, when Barnett decides he's going to bounce.

And I know I've already said this more than once, but I just don't get these skill position guys heading elsewhere if they actually do have commitable offers from Arkansas.  It just doesn't make sense, unless we're talking a different kind of cents.

ChildPlease...

Haha...could be. They also picked up a 2nd tight end today. A 4* out of Michigan named Devin Funchess.

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 22, 2011, 12:38:58 pm
There will be a prime spot open in a less than a year, when Barnett decides he's going to bounce.

The Hogfather

AJ Williams looks sort of like a prime candidate for OT to me.

Oh well, on to the next candidate.

These kids will EVENTUALLY start to realize they can come blow up in our offense.

The Hogfather

Quote from: ChildPlease... on April 22, 2011, 12:41:06 pm
Haha...could be. They also picked up a 2nd tight end today. A 4* out of Michigan named Devin Funchess.

Seriously, though, if Barnett doesn't start and/or play a whole bunch, I guarantee you he'll be leaving Michigan.

ChildPlease...

I agree. Probably ideal for a tough blocking TE that can surprise someone up the middle every so often, or as a project-type OT. I think the guys we got in the last class were closer to this kind of TE anyway, so I'd prefer to snag more of a DJ type in this class. Someone who will stretch the field!

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 22, 2011, 12:59:34 pm
AJ Williams looks sort of like a prime candidate for OT to me.

Oh well, on to the next candidate.

These kids will EVENTUALLY start to realize they can come blow up in our offense.

pigzwillrise

way to go Barnett... smart kid... he was like the 3rd TE in list year's class and then they've already got 2 top TE's committed for the next class... that's more than just competition... that's basically the coach saying the don't trust you and are going to over recruit your position.

Oklahawg

Quote from: pigzwillrise on April 22, 2011, 01:55:21 pm
way to go Barnett... smart kid... he was like the 3rd TE in list year's class and then they've already got 2 top TE's committed for the next class... that's more than just competition... that's basically the coach saying the don't trust you and are going to over recruit your position.

And was worried about competition at UA? Sigh.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

RAF

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 22, 2011, 12:38:58 pm

And I know I've already said this more than once, but I just don't get these skill position guys heading elsewhere if they actually do have commitable offers from Arkansas.  It just doesn't make sense, unless we're talking a different kind of cents.
You have to remember, our coaching staff is not known for blowing smoke at recruits.  Whereas, other coaching staff, especially those that have an obligation to win "now" (like Michigan) or are just generally bush league (like Auburn) will treat recruits like the divas they can be.  We saw that with Barnett last year, and I won't go into 'Barn's "it'$ a God Thang" schtick.  Maybe that's an excuse, but it's really how I feel.

jackflash

Plenty of time left for this staff to find a TE they want. Maybe he from Arizona junior college?

ChildPlease...

Or it is the coach saying that he only has 2 "real" tight ends on the team right now (both of whom are seniors) along with a converted WR and DE, and since he is planning on running a smash-mouth, pro-style offense with a lot of 2-TE sets, he probably needs to get him some more.

But, I mean, whichever is more convenient for your agenda...

Quote from: pigzwillrise on April 22, 2011, 01:55:21 pm