Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Assistant Coach Search

Started by Tomhog™, April 26, 2007, 10:00:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomhog™

I guess since he's not hired someone by now, he'll be spending all his time on the recruiting trail, since recruiting has to stop by next Monday.  I figure he will be back to the coaching search at that time.  I'm not sure about the Todd Day/Tony Delk hire.  I would think he'd get another established recruiter since that is the life-blood of a program.  He's made some outstanding hires so far.  I'm sure his last will be equally stellar...

mountainhog

how many more coaches does he have left to hire?    just one?

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: mountainhog on April 26, 2007, 10:07:45 pm
how many more coaches does he have left to hire?    just one?

One more ...he is still trying to complete the 07' Class which I am assuming takes priority.   Once that is done he can concentrate on hiring/annoucing the next asst. coach and get back to hitting the AAU event trail.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

mountainhog

Thanks ,  does Todd Day have a realistic shot at getting that?  He wouldnt be my first choice.

bd93

Quote from: mountainhog on April 26, 2007, 10:12:31 pm
Thanks ,  does Todd Day have a realistic shot at getting that?  He wouldnt be my first choice.

Yeah, I would pass on Delk and Day.

Hogtropolis™

So who all do we have so far?

John Pelphrey - HC
Tom Ostrom - Asst.
Rob Evans -Asst.
Matt Figger - Director of basketball operations

Am I missing anyone?  I have seen quite a bit on Ostrom and Evans, but I haven't seen much on Figger, does anyone have any background info on him.  I was just wondering where he came from and what his credentials were/are.

cardinalhawg

There would be other guys with Razorback and Arkansas connections, who I would rather see as an assistant over Day.   I am wondering if the guy he had in mind has fell through, because we haven't heard anything for a few days.

pignatious

Quote from: cardinalhawg on April 26, 2007, 10:48:31 pm
There would be other guys with Razorback and Arkansas connections, who I would rather see as an assistant over Day.   I am wondering if the guy he had in mind has fell through, because we haven't heard anything for a few days.

I would love it if we could get an assistant with some Texas and Oklahoma connections. We need to recruit Texas consistently, particularly Dallas. Heath had no success there. We also need to be able to get players out of the Tulsa metro and OKC area occasionally. I think we need a young coach now who can relate to today's players.
Freedom is never free.

cardinalhawg

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on April 26, 2007, 10:30:21 pm
So who all do we have so far?

John Pelphrey - HC
Tom Ostrom - Asst.
Rob Evans -Asst.
Matt Figger - Director of basketball operations

Am I missing anyone?  I have seen quite a bit on Ostrom and Evans, but I haven't seen much on Figger, does anyone have any background info on him.  I was just wondering where he came from and what his credentials were/are.

On a google search, you can bring up his South Alabama biography.  Most of his experience is as an assistant coach at junior colleges.

moses_007

Quote from: pignatious on April 26, 2007, 10:52:33 pm
There would be other guys with Razorback and Arkansas connections, who I would rather see as an assistant over Day.   I am wondering if the guy he had in mind has fell through, because we haven't heard anything for a few days.

I would love it if we could get an assistant with some Texas and Oklahoma connections. We need to recruit Texas consistently, particularly Dallas. Heath had no success there. We also need to be able to get players out of the Tulsa metro and OKC area occasionally. I think we need a young coach now who can relate to today's players.

Good take.

ConwayHog

Quote from: pignatious on April 26, 2007, 10:52:33 pm

Not only Dallas but Houston.  It's a hotbed right now but we have to get in there.  Heath relied too much on his northern connections.  It worked for Famutimi and Beverley but unfortunately one of those was a bust. 

hawgsav1

We need to get Memphis back.  Calipari's cutting off the series against us was a brilliant recruiting ploy on his part.  He made it sound as if Arkansas basketball was on the way down while Memphis was on the way up.  On top of that, by cutting off the series he was able to prevent the Hogs from playing in Memphis so recruits wouldn't be able to see the Hogs play firsthand unless they traveled ALL the way over to F-town.  This way Calipari could hog (no pun intended) Memphis to himself.  I did like the way Heath recruited northern areas well (e.g. Chicago Michigan etc.).  However, recruiting starts close to home.  By the way, we need a point guard.  Can we clone Kareem Reid?
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

zebra

I am suprised the last coach hasn't been announced yet!

Tomhog™

I'd want an assistant that has in-roads into either Texas or Memphis area.  Both places have a ton of talent that Arkansas has enough clout to snag a few over the years.  Pel seems to be very sharp and I expect nothing less than another good (and smart) hire...

Proud Hog

Me too.But I think coach is really concentrating on recruiting since he got such a late start.

jhudson84

Evans has alot of contacts in MS, TX, NM, and even AZ.  JP and TO will be able to handle GA, AL, and FL very well.  We are going to need an assist. with the ability to get into TN, MO, and IL.

stronguard

April 27, 2007, 09:52:44 pm #16 Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 09:04:22 am by stronguard
I think we were all I was hoping for James Dickey, but now it seems like a pipe dream.

If we limit the discussion to former players then I would include; Pat Bradley, Corey Beck, or Lee Mayberry.

Hope that makes it better.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

hogsmaster

absolutely agree with you.  don't know if he is qualified or interested, but think Corey Beck would have the smart, hunger, and passion to be a good assistant coach who should be able to recruit.

bd93

I would like someone with a little experience. Not a lot, just some.  Also he better be a good recruiter.

Stan Heath would be a great Assistant. 8) :P ;)

charleyhog

Wasn't Hood into coaching for awhile? or am i mistaken

The_Bionic_Pig

Honestly I would love to get John Lucus (not because of Jai Lucus) but because of his recruiting/Ties to the Houston area.   If not him a former Arkansas alum with major ties to Memphis because they are freaking loaded with major 09' prospects. 
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

dotnet

Quote from: stronguard on April 27, 2007, 09:52:44 pm
I think we were all hoping for James Dickey, but now it seems like a pipe dream.

Speak for yourself...

mbgrulz

Quote from: stronguard on April 27, 2007, 09:52:44 pm
I think we were all hoping for James Dickey, but now it seems like a pipe dream.

If we limit the discussion to former players then I would include; Pat Bradley, Corey Beck, or Lee Mayberry.
JD is a tool.

justonefan

I wouldn't want Dickey either. Who's "we all"? ???

stronguard

I fixed it for you guys.....

But I really don't understand all the hate for JD.  What did he do, defend Nutty Buddy or something?
He knows how to recruit, especially the Arkansas/Texas/Oklahoma area, and he is a career assistant.
I still think he would've been a nice fit.  But obviously, EVERYONE, doesn't.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

homerjsimpson

Quote from: hawgsav1 on April 27, 2007, 06:35:26 am
We need to get Memphis back.  Calipari's cutting off the series against us was a brilliant recruiting ploy on his part.  He made it sound as if Arkansas basketball was on the way down while Memphis was on the way up.  On top of that, by cutting off the series he was able to prevent the Hogs from playing in Memphis so recruits wouldn't be able to see the Hogs play firsthand unless they traveled ALL the way over to F-town.  This way Calipari could hog (no pun intended) Memphis to himself.  I did like the way Heath recruited northern areas well (e.g. Chicago Michigan etc.).  However, recruiting starts close to home.  By the way, we need a point guard.  Can we clone Kareem Reid?

Evidently Calipari was correct! Arkansas bball was on the way down and Memphis was on the way up. Thanks to Nolan!

What's Scott Edgar up to now? Seems like he was the recruiter on NR's staff that really was able to get the players from the Memphis area.

slopinhogs

April 30, 2007, 05:57:10 pm #26 Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 10:00:36 pm by slopinhogs
hey folks caoch Evans knows how to recruit Memphis. :razorback:

glad Coach Pel isn't rushing into a new hiring.
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

hawgsav1

Quote from: BleedBlueUK on April 30, 2007, 03:18:28 pm
Guys, UK and CBG have not named their last assistant coach either.  There is one speculation why and that is an unhired AC does not fall under the same NCAA rules and guidelines as coaches on a hired staff.  That means possibly more recruiting edges.  If Pelphrey has someone in mind he may be delaying the hire for that very reason.  I think Billy Clyde is taking advantage of that issue at UK.

what loophole is that?

hawgsav1

Also, I don't think either Beck or Todd Day have the qualifications to be assistants.  I don't think either of them finished their degrees (Day might have but I'm not sure).  Maybe if they finish up their degrees and enroll in graduate school they would make fabulous graduate assistants.  What about T.J. Cleveland?  I remember he always demonstrated a desire to go into coaching.  I heard a rumor that he was a graduate student on Mike Anderson's staff at UAB but I dunno where he is now.

justonefan

What's Scott Edgar up to now? Seems like he was the recruiter on NR's staff that really was able to get the players from the Memphis area.

Now that would be great.  By many estimations he was the best recruiter we ever had.

Conway Cool Daddy

Quote from: hawgsav1 on May 01, 2007, 04:46:19 am
Also, I don't think either Beck or Todd Day have the qualifications to be assistants.  I don't think either of them finished their degrees (Day might have but I'm not sure).  Maybe if they finish up their degrees and enroll in graduate school they would make fabulous graduate assistants.  What about T.J. Cleveland?  I remember he always demonstrated a desire to go into coaching.  I heard a rumor that he was a graduate student on Mike Anderson's staff at UAB but I dunno where he is now.
I believe TJ is on Mike's staff at Missouri.
I think he would be an interesting pick as well.

HawgG

May 01, 2007, 10:45:06 am #31 Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 12:49:56 am by HawgG
Quote from: slopinhogs on April 30, 2007, 05:57:10 pm
hey folks caoch Evans knows how to recruit Memphis. :razorback:

glad Coach Pel isn't rushing into a new hiring.

If Coach Pelphrey is relying on Evans to recruit Memphis then they won't be getting much out of the area.

Evans is here for his coaching knowledge, not his recruiting ability.

donkey

Evans recruited the Arkansas/Memphis area well enough to steal instate kids out from under our program and beat the UA's a$$ with them.  He won big at Ole Miss, you don't do that unless you can recruit.  Who would want to go to Oxford, Miss?

cardinalhawg

Quote from: justonefan on May 01, 2007, 05:14:25 am

Now that would be great.  By many estimations he was the best recruiter we ever had.

Edgar is the head basketball coach at Southeast Missouri State.

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: justonefan on May 01, 2007, 05:14:25 am

scott edgar is at southeast missouri state in cape girardeau, mo.
link:

http://gosoutheast.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/edgar_scott00.html
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Held Hawgstage

If this is the criteria for being the Head Hog, shouldn't the search for an assistant be simple?

"I want to repeat some of the other things that make him the one that fits this job. When you think about it, he coached in this arena. He coached with Billy Donovan in this arena against the Razorbacks, so he has been there. That is the one question I would ask when I hired an assistant or a head coach, 'Has he been there before?' Yes, this coach has been there before. Let me go back, as a player in the state of Kentucky his senior year, he was voted the outstanding player in the state, so he has been there as a player. Then he was recruited by Eddie Sutton, who is going to be a Hall of Fame coach, at Kentucky. He played one year for Coach Sutton and then Rick Pitino took over and he played three years for Rick Pitino. If you look at the press guide his senior year, a quote from Rick Pitino says 'I wouldn't trade John Pelphrey for any basketball player in America.' He has been there as a player under two great coaches.

"Eddie Sutton thought enough of him to hire him as a coach when he came back from Europe playing professional basketball. So he coached with Eddie Sutton. Then he went with Billy Donovan to Marshall for two years and then down to Florida for six years. He has been there recruiting against other SEC teams. When Billy Donovan called me and Jeremy Foley called me, they made it clear that they thought he would be one of the star coaches anywhere in the Southeastern Conference. They all talked about how he has been there. He has been there with good teams. You can't always hire guys that have been there, but if you can, hire a coach that has been there. He has been there in this arena and been there recruiting against everybody in this conference. He has worked for three great coaches and played for two great coaches, and he has been there for what you think will be a fit for the University of Arkansas. I want to introduce John Pelphrey as our new men's basketball coach."  Frank Broyles

HawgG

Quote from: donkey on May 01, 2007, 04:02:55 pm
Evans recruited the Arkansas/Memphis area well enough to steal instate kids out from under our program and beat the UA's a$$ with them.  He won big at Ole Miss, you don't do that unless you can recruit.  Who would want to go to Oxford, Miss?

The kids that Evans got out of the state of Arkansas where kids that Nolan believed couldn't cut it as a Razorback and didn't recruit them.

"Who would want to go to Oxford, Miss?"

Apparently some darn good players.You should check out what Coach Kennedy is doing.

That guy is the best head coach in the SECW and since he is able to recruit to Oxford he will take Ole Miss to higher heights then it's previous coaches and that is no knock on them.

Andy Kennedy is the TRUTH!

BigDave70

I heard he's good buddies with and talking to Karl Malone
"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know that counts."  Paul "Bear" Bryant

Conway Cool Daddy

Quote from: HawgG on May 02, 2007, 01:00:03 am

The kids that Evans got out of the state of Arkansas where kids that Nolan believed couldn't cut it as a Razorback and didn't recruit them.

Apparently some darn good players.You should check out what Coach Kennedy is doing.

That guy is the best head coach in the SECW and since he is able to recruit to Oxford he will take Ole Miss to higher heights then it's previous coaches and that is no knock on them.

I agree AK is darn good.
I don't know what kind of recruiter the guy is though. He's never been anywhere long enough to establish a track record.
I doubt he will be at Ole Miss long.

HawgG

Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on May 02, 2007, 07:25:26 am

I agree AK is darn good.
I don't know what kind of recruiter the guy is though. He's never been anywhere long enough to establish a track record.

Conway Cool Daddy you better read this entire article about Andy Kennedy and you won't have any doubts that AK is the best in the SECW.

You want to know about his recruiting and whether or not he was born to coach at OLE MISS, then click the link below.

CLICK ME TO GET TO KNOW ME

oldfart

Im pretty sure TJ followed his uncle to Missouri and is an assistant coach there. would love to have TJ as an assistant, he was a really hard worker as a player and a quality individual

Quote from: hawgsav1 on May 01, 2007, 04:46:19 am

Conway Cool Daddy

Quote from: HawgG on May 02, 2007, 12:15:09 pm
Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on May 02, 2007, 07:25:26 am

I agree AK is darn good.

Conway Cool Daddy you better read this entire article about Andy Kennedy and you won't have any doubts that AK is the best in the SECW.

You want to know about his recruiting and whether or not he was born to coach at OLE MISS, then click the link below.

CLICK ME TO GET TO KNOW ME
When I say he won't be there long, I mean some team in the Big East will come snatch him up.
If I remember correctly he was highly thought of at Cincy, there was a big push to make him the full time coach.
Unfortunately he was in the same situation as Mike Anderson was at the UA.

deshahawg

If he got Karl Malone (probably a rumor) that would definately help on the recruiting area. Could you imagine having him go to kids houses asking them to come to Arkansas.

bd93

Quote from: deshahawg on May 02, 2007, 03:22:13 pm
If he got Karl Malone (probably a rumor) that would definately help on the recruiting area. Could you imagine having him go to kids houses asking them to come to Arkansas.

Where did you hear the Karl Malone rumor?

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: oldfart on May 02, 2007, 02:46:19 pm
Im pretty sure TJ followed his uncle to Missouri and is an assistant coach there. would love to have TJ as an assistant, he was a really hard worker as a player and a quality individual

A few weeks ago it was brought up and checked into and TJ is not in consideration. 
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*