Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where were you when this happened (UA Basketball History)

Started by mikeirwin, April 02, 2007, 10:17:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HoopS

If you don't like fundamentally sound ball, maximum effort, and a disciplined team, then you are SOL.

little pigee

Quote from: mikeirwin on April 02, 2007, 10:26:08 am
Sounds like Frank wanted to make sure he didn't miss any of The Masters.
Glowing support! 
It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

little pigee

Quote from: Mystery Legs™ on April 02, 2007, 11:57:51 am
I just wonder if he will know how to call the hogs.  Stan had this look like we were nuts.  I bet they learn from that mistake.
Bet you are right there!

revolution

There aren't many coaches out there who could make the fans less excited.

Name one . . .

*crickets*

HoopS

Sir Hog Alot

I have read enough.  I sure hope that this state will get get behind the new coach.  From the posts that I have read, it would be a stretch to get any support from many of the people posting on this site.  If Altman is hired, then we should support him and the team.  

Scott E.

"If they're gonna push me into retirement, I'll show them!  I'll destroy both football AND basketball!  Now watch me hit this drive!"  -  JFB

jhogfan554

I think we have what we have. We are not going to bring Stan back and we are not going to get the "big name" coach we hoped for. That said, we can only hope that the new coach can keep a couple of our key young players and hits the recruiting road hard because the kids he recruits are our future for the next 3-4 years. As for his motivation/bench coaching skills, time will tell. He starts with a pretty good cupboard, which Stan did not have, so I suspect that he will have to win early and often to keep the job. If he does, all is well.

PrescottHog

what the f@#% are yall serious this is the best we can do this is a down grade from Heath

Rodhawg

Anyone know who this Bruce R. that their talking about on th C.U. board is? And is he coming too?

ICEman

One mid-major for another... my STs are officially relinquished.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

yoyoma12

is the press conference a public event?

Lokirain

hereigo

12yrs at Creighton he won only 65% of his games, and was 2-7 in the NCAA TOURNY!!!!  What hire a dumb@$$ Frank Broyles!

jhawg

Quote from: mikeirwin on April 02, 2007, 10:31:08 am
Quote from: ballhog24 on April 02, 2007, 10:22:34 am
It's still just a rumor?

KARK listed it as confirmed.
Creightons website has a story that Altman is leaving for Arkansas.
Fox Sports confirms it as well.

So, question is, with all the spewing going on here...will anyone in the NWA area who doesn't like this take the time to go to the presser and make their disdain known?

Or will it be a room of clapping and hog calls?
You know what they'll do.
It will be wall to wall "Altman was our guy all along" stuff.
I have nothing against the man. I  don't know much about him. If he is 2-7 in the NCAA tournament is it reasonable to assume that had Heath been given 9 years he might have won a couple of NCAA games ?
But as a reporter I will judge him on what he does from today on. As such it will be a while before it's clear if Frank got lucky or blew it big time.

being 2-7 at Creighton would not be the same as being 2-7 at Arkansas.
"They are not worried about selling tickets. They are not worried about selling offenses and gimmicks and things of that nature. They are worried about winning and having a winning tradition."- Reggie Herring

nanna hog

Quote from: mikeirwin on April 02, 2007, 10:31:08 am
Quote from: ballhog24 on April 02, 2007, 10:22:34 am
It's still just a rumor?

KARK listed it as confirmed.
Creightons website has a story that Altman is leaving for Arkansas.
Fox Sports confirms it as well.

So, question is, with all the spewing going on here...will anyone in the NWA area who doesn't like this take the time to go to the presser and make their disdain known?

Or will it be a room of clapping and hog calls?
You know what they'll do.
It will be wall to wall "Altman was our guy all along" stuff.
I have nothing against the man. I  don't know much about him. If he is 2-7 in the NCAA tournament is it reasonable to assume that had Heath been given 9 years he might have won a couple of NCAA games ?
But as a reporter I will judge him on what he does from today on. As such it will be a while before it's clear if Frank got lucky or blew it big time.
I am sure that Frank's talk of "opening the purse strings" to hire a top level coach was just that talk. Who is this guy and is he so much better than Heath. At least with Heath we knew we had a classy guy. I am just sick of the crap coaches we seem to get in football and basketball. The win/loss record of both Nutt and Altman are not that impressive if you ask me.
Big let down once again....this time basketball
THE DAY'S OF MEDIOCRITY ARE OVER

zebra

[/quote]

being 2-7 at Creighton would not be the same as being 2-7 at Arkansas.
[/quote]

Thank you!

slopinhogs

Dana a good hire ,Anthony Grant would have been a better one. trash can me if you like on this one.
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: ICEman on April 02, 2007, 12:49:54 pm
One mid-major for another... my STs are officially relinquished.
I'm surprised anyone still buys season tickets to Razorback bball games. They'll be playing in Barnhill again before they sell out BWA.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HoopS

Give the guy a chance.  He is loved at Creighton.  The have 12,000 season ticket holders and average over 15,000 fans per game.   He adapts to his players and will force his opposition to adapt to him.  I just hope the opposition will be wearing a different uniform and not come from within.   Especially if you don't know anything about the guy.   If you have witnessed his teams and still think he is horrible, then fine.   But do a little research.  More than just records.   He's got a following up there because he's pretty darn good.   Fancy?   Maybe not. 

Maybe you don't have to go to games.   Just sit back and atleast watch him first.   Again, we will be disciplined.   We will play hard.  And we will be fundamentally sound.   Maybe I'm just a bit old fashioned, but those are important qualities that quite frankly, I haven't seen lately. 

bsee1991

Hoop slap..are you an idiot or what??  How bout his big following at KState

This is the most idiotic hire available.  My K state friends are lughing at me..."glad to see you got mr mid major".  (you know K state ran this guy off)  13 years at CREIGHTON!!  Who the hell stays 13 years at CREIGHTON??This is a total and complete unmitigated joke!  Fire a mid major guy with 21 wins and all 5 starters returning for this guy.  I dont think Stan heath is a great coach, and I dont think he ever will be.  But, I would take this team next year WITH beverly and ME coaching, and play against it without Beverly and ANYONE else coaching....I WIN  At least with Stan staying you knew Beverly was going to stay....the only player on the team that played with heart EVERY SINGLE GAME

The point is,  knuckle head Broyles should have had ink on a contract before firing heath...But instead we get another mid major coach....2 NCAA tournament wins?  Boy im excited!

Broyles has completley lost his mind.  Only eight teams have  more sweet sixteen apperances  than us, only eight more NCAA tourney wins..10th winningest team in the 90s (we were first for the first eight years).and we get a retread from Creighton (that we paid a lot more money than the last guy we had). 

The good dnews for me today is that I saved a whole bunch of money...because as of today my chekbook is closed...the donations are cutoff!  After the fiasco at the end of the football season and then now this..Sorry folks...but you gotta earn me back...im sick of following on blind faith

Ridgerunnerpiggie

Quote from: leroyjenkins on April 02, 2007, 10:44:32 am
maybe altman being from a religious school, he was on the same page with arkansas..... just praying for victories..... looks like that is how it is going to stay also.
Funny!  :)
Go Hogs!

docmic

Quote from: HoopSlap on April 02, 2007, 01:59:07 pm
Give the guy a chance.  He is loved at Creighton.  The have 12,000 season ticket holders and average over 15,000 fans per game.   He adapts to his players and will force his opposition to adapt to him.  I just hope the opposition will be wearing a different uniform and not come from within.   Especially if you don't know anything about the guy.   If you have witnessed his teams and still think he is horrible, then fine.   But do a little research.  More than just records.   He's got a following up there because he's pretty darn good.   Fancy?   Maybe not. 

Maybe you don't have to go to games.   Just sit back and atleast watch him first.   Again, we will be disciplined.   We will play hard.  And we will be fundamentally sound.   Maybe I'm just a bit old fashioned, but those are important qualities that quite frankly, I haven't seen lately. 

Remember, he comes from a private, Catholic school. Think DePaul, Loyola, Marquette. Those schools recruit kids that can live in that environment and are accustomed to discipline. We may not come roaring out of the chutes next year, simply because Beverly, Ervin, Hunter, etc. play "their own" games. None of our present players have experienced the kind of disciplined team attitude that Marquette or Loyola, or Creighton players have known since they came out of high school. I almost feel sorry for Coach Altman for the first year.

hawaiianhogster

Quote from: U.P.  HOGG on April 02, 2007, 11:50:54 am
This guy is 2-7 in the tourney, and he lost in the first round of the tourney this year to Nevada!!  This is our big name coach???????????????????

Nevada had a good team this year.

HoopS

April 02, 2007, 03:06:40 pm #74 Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 03:08:53 pm by HoopSlap
bsee1991.... I'm going to ignore your opening line to me.... but I will compliment you on your 3 4 posts and the fact that you have said the exact same thing 3 times, just with a different lead-in paragraph each time.   

I would take the time to answer why it is reported that he stayed at CREIGHTON for 13 years, but I don't think you would be interested and even if you were, I'm not interested in wasting any more of my time on you.

Tell your K-State buddies hi for me :-*

little pigee

Quote from: bsee1991 on April 02, 2007, 02:05:28 pm

This is the most idiotic hire available.  My K state friends are lughing at me..."glad to see you got mr mid major".  (you know K state ran this guy off)  13 years at CREIGHTON!!  Who the hell stays 13 years at CREIGHTON??This is a total and complete unmitigated joke!  Fire a mid major guy with 21 wins and all 5 starters returning for this guy.  I dont think Stan heath is a great coach, and I dont think he ever will be.  But, I would take this team next year WITH beverly and ME coaching, and play against it without Beverly and ANYONE else coaching....I WIN  At least with Stan staying you knew Beverly was going to stay....the only player on the team that played with heart EVERY SINGLE GAME

The point is,  knuckle head Broyles should have had ink on a contract before firing heath...But instead we get another mid major coach....2 NCAA tournament wins?  Boy im excited!

Broyles has completley lost his mind.  Only eight teams have  more sweet sixteen apperances  than us, only eight more NCAA tourney wins..10th winningest team in the 90s (we were first for the first eight years).and we get a retread from Creighton (that we paid a lot more money than the last guy we had). 

The good dnews for me today is that I saved a whole bunch of money...because as of today my chekbook is closed...the donations are cutoff!  After the fiasco at the end of the football season and then now this..Sorry folks...but you gotta earn me back...im sick of following on blind faith
Let's see...you've closed your checkbook, your mind is obviously closed...next you should close the lid on your laptop.  Get with the new program or get out of the way.

Merle Hawggard

Quote from: mikeirwin on April 02, 2007, 10:17:57 am
To name new basketball coach.
Dana Altman the rumored choice.
what channels will it be on..i hope they teach him how to do the hog call.. heath took his hat off and looked totally confused!
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"If I tell you a rooster can pull a freight train....hook his a$$ up!!\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" Terry Whitlock

arkansaspanic

It could be a good hire.  Creighton has been to the postseason 10 years in a row.  Thats better than what we've done recently.  Hope everyone stays that was still planning on it and we have lots of success.

hawaiianhogster

Will somebody please copy and paste a link to this? I'll be at work during this thing and have no speakers to listen to it with. I would like to watch it when I go home.

peakhog

I think I'll watch an old John Wayne movie instead!

charliediver

Remember Eddie Sutton came from the same school

pigsooiec5

Can fans attend this presser?  I was just wondering since it is being held at Bud Walton.  I'd be interested in going just to see what the general "vibe" of the place was during the conference.

chiefsfan

If you would like to learn about the game of basketball, there are a few books I can reccomend in the Library.   The fans did this to themselves.  All you wanted for weeks is a different coach.   Well you got your wish.   Its just the problem is that you didnt want that coach

Sadly fellas, Coach K wasnt interested in the job.   What we have here is a guy who has 9 consecutive 20 win seasons, and has made 6 consecutive NCAA tournaments with a freaking mid major.   The two knocks on him is that he hasnt won at a major program, and he doesnt play exciting basketball.   

As a fan base I think we were more worried about hiring a guy that plays exciting basketball, then hiring a guy who can win games

Good hire.  He's no  Bill Self.   but who is
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

ttrk05

Havent read much on this- Does anyone think Beverly, Weems will stay?

bsee1991

I said it three times under three different topics because its all correct and needs to be said...we once again are prepared to accept mediocrity...if you keep on doing what you been doing, you will keep getting what youve been getting. 

You tell me we should have fired stan heath for THIS guy (and risk losing the only guy that played HARD all season...you did say you were old fashion and enjoyed hard play)?  Beverly played with more heart than anyone on that team...and to risk losing him to get THIS guy....bad, bad ,bad trade.

I am mostly dissapointed in the complete inability for the administaion to manage situations such as this (and at the end of the football season)...i do multimillion deals on a regular basis, and I know the deal aient done till its done!  Frank should have had the guy he wanted with a signed contract before he hired Heath

You tell me he would have fired Heath if he knew what he knew now?

bigiron

Quote from: pigsooiec5 on April 02, 2007, 03:42:29 pm
Can fans attend this presser?  I was just wondering since it is being held at Bud Walton.  I'd be interested in going just to see what the general "vibe" of the place was during the conference.

Yes.  (From the sports information office.)

HoopS

Quote from: bsee1991 on April 02, 2007, 04:01:07 pm
I said it three times under three different topics because its all correct and needs to be said...we once again are prepared to accept mediocrity...if you keep on doing what you been doing, you will keep getting what youve been getting. 

You tell me we should have fired stan heath for THIS guy (and risk losing the only guy that played HARD all season...you did say you were old fashion and enjoyed hard play)?  Beverly played with more heart than anyone on that team...and to risk losing him to get THIS guy....bad, bad ,bad trade.

I am mostly dissapointed in the complete inability for the administaion to manage situations such as this (and at the end of the football season)...i do multimillion deals on a regular basis, and I know the deal aient done till its done!  Frank should have had the guy he wanted with a signed contract before he hired Heath

You tell me he would have fired Heath if he knew what he knew now?

I'm not here to defend Frank... believe me.   I want him gone 15 years ago.  All I am saying is.. it is what it is.   We've apparently hired this guy and I have a choice to make... support him or not.    You've made your choice and I've made mine.   That doesn't make me an idiot.  I wasn't calling for Stan's head.    I liked the guy.  But I believe moving on was probably the correct call.   I would have hired a number of people before Altman, but since we have hired him, I decided to do a little research and educate myself on who we had hired... instead of just depending on some loud mouths who never liked him anyway. 

My choice is to support him and to wish him the best of luck.   If he can't cut it, he should be fired.   I'm atleast going to see how he handles it before I decide he can't.

bsee1991

Quote from: chiefsfan on April 02, 2007, 03:58:30 pm

If you would like to learn about the game of basketball, there are a few books I can reccomend in the Library.   The fans did this to themselves.  All you wanted for weeks is a different coach.   Well you got your wish.   Its just the problem is that you didnt want that coach

Sadly fellas, Coach K wasnt interested in the job.   What we have here is a guy who has 9 consecutive 20 win seasons, and has made 6 consecutive NCAA tournaments with a freaking mid major.   The two knocks on him is that he hasnt won at a major program, and he doesnt play exciting basketball.   

As a fan base I think we were more worried about hiring a guy that plays exciting basketball, then hiring a guy who can win games

Good hire.  He's no  Bill Self.   but who is

Lets see...I was an all state basketball player...outstanding defensive player in the state tournament..played for Doc Saddler..basketball is something I know something about

20 wins at Creighton dont = 20 wins in the SEC..2-7 in the ncaa tournament...great record there...you tell me we get rid of Heath after 21 wins for that?  Great coaches dont stay at Creighton for 13 years..im sorry..i hope he turns out great....I am just once again at settling for mediocrity BECAUSE Broyles screwed up in the process AGAIN!!

hogfan47

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on April 02, 2007, 10:28:56 am
WHY?????????????????  WHY DOES THIS HAVE TO HAPPEN TO US??????????

just maybe it happened because all the fire them all .
posters on this board went and flooded the bot with worthless emails.
now all who did need to shutup and reap the seeds they sowed
C L martin

Fort Smith Ark    

start the healing process now

Cartoon Man

Well boys. I can't believe I was once again sucked into the drama of razorback sports.  I sold and gave everything away that was razorbacks, including championship stuff from 94.  With this hire. I am done being a fan of both sports.  I have never seen such incompetent people, such as Nutt and Broyles.  They have singlehandly ruined the two sports. Thank God for track and baseball.

CBowman73

This is pathetic...ask anyone who knows college basketball, and they think the world of Coach Altman and believe he can win here...everyone except the idiots who sounds off here...who I am sure are the REAL experts on basketball...people who can't even keep all their teeth!!

Furthermore...the people screaming that Coach Nutt is the worst in the history of college football.....coming off a 10-win season with promise of another.....make us sound like we don't have any sense....much less teeth!!

We complain that people look down on us! We act like this...and no wonder!!

dewayne

i see nothing about this big announcement..what happened/was said?