Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tennessee meeting this afternoon on Butch...

Started by BR, October 29, 2017, 03:01:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on October 30, 2017, 10:16:46 am
Pay them I guess.  That is what it will take to make some happy but do give them a percentage of jersey sales or percentage of the gate or just give them all about the same like what I hear they are doing now.

They are getting paid now.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

The Hogfather

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 30, 2017, 09:18:00 am
Then why announce early that BB will not be retained. IF all the other hypotheticals happen, and IF Norvell has "accepted" or said he will accept when offered, just do it like it is usually done. Everyone plays their last game of the regular season, BB gets let go, Norvell gets offered and accepts.

Times are changing and schools want to get new head coaches in place ASAP because of the new December early signing period. Also if Long makes the announcement that CBB will not be retained at the end of the season, it shows Norvell that the U of A means business and they really want him so they are taking him at his word that he has unofficially accepted the job.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogsanity

Quote from: The Hogfather on October 30, 2017, 10:20:01 am
Good.

I am with you on that. He just reminds me of Kingsbury, in the way his team plays, that it scares me.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hawgon

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 30, 2017, 10:18:25 am
They also have plans for a new football facility like we and others have built with new locker, meeting, training rooms and offices. Estimates between $60 to $100 million.

But that was part of the deal as to why McElwain was unhappy.  They've had these plans for a long time and he felt as though he had been lead down the primrose path in them.

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on October 30, 2017, 10:21:22 am
Times are changing and schools want to get new head coaches in place ASAP because of the new December early signing period. Also if Long makes the announcement that CBB will not be retained at the end of the season, it shows Norvell that the U of A means business and they really want him so they are taking him at his word that he has unofficially accepted the job.

This is one of thise things someone says and people run with

Most likely, if a kid is smart, he isn't going to sign with a school in December of they just hired a new coach. Unless said kid just absolutely loved the school. They will just wait until February.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

hogsanity

Quote from: rhames on October 30, 2017, 10:27:27 am

Most likely, if a kid is smart, he isn't going to sign with a school in December of they just hired a new coach. Unless said kid just absolutely loved the school. They will just wait until February.

I have thought one reason coaches wanted this new early period was for cover for themselves. They can use the fear of losing recruits to try to leverage schools to keep them. Coaches knew that firing time was usually around Dec 1, but with a early signing period it makes it tougher to pull the trigger  to fire them that close to that period, and they also know schools are loathe to fire coaches mid season.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Been10Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 30, 2017, 09:26:46 am
Which is one reason to have an agent.

With as many schools that it looks like will be looking for a new coach, I doubt anyone jumps on any job very early. Just in the SEC alone it could be as many as 6 schools.
And if we fire BB we will get the 6th choice of coaches, not counting other jobs across the country.

rhames

Quote from: hogsanity on October 30, 2017, 10:30:17 am
I have thought one reason coaches wanted this new early period was for cover for themselves. They can use the fear of losing recruits to try to leverage schools to keep them. Coaches knew that firing time was usually around Dec 1, but with a early signing period it makes it tougher to pull the trigger  to fire them that close to that period, and they also know schools are loathe to fire coaches mid season.

I just don't think it will be a deal breaker. Most of these schools won't fill their position until the first or second week in December. If they fired their coach yesterday or if they fire them on November 27th.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

GuvHog

Quote from: rhames on October 30, 2017, 10:27:27 am

Arkansas has recruits that are committed to signing during the early signing period in December so if they are going to part ways with Bret (which I believe they will do), they'll want to get the new coach in here ASAP to meet with those recruits and make sure they sign as planned. What I stated is correct. To wait till after the early signing period is over to fire the head coach is a dirty dishonest thing to do to those recruits who sign during the early period.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hawgon on October 30, 2017, 10:26:33 am
But that was part of the deal as to why McElwain was unhappy.  They've had these plans for a long time and he felt as though he had been lead down the primrose path in them.

Plans do take time. If he couldn't wait then he shouldn't have taken the job. I'm thinking other things are why he's gone.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

GuvHog

Quote from: rhames on October 30, 2017, 10:34:47 am

I just don't think it will be a deal breaker. Most of these schools won't fill their position until the first or second week in December. If they fired their coach yesterday or if they fire them on November 27th.

I disagree. If they fire their HC, they'll want to get the new HC on campus as soon as possible to meet with recruits that are planning to sign early.

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on October 30, 2017, 10:36:21 am
Arkansas has recruits that are committed to signing during the early signing period in December so if they are going to part ways with Bret (which I believe they will do), they'll want to get the new coach in here ASAP to meet with those recruits and make sure they sign as planned. What I stated is correct. To wait till after the early signing period is over to fire the head coach is a dirty dishonest thing to do to those recruits who sign during the early period.

No what you stated is an opinion

Most likely those kids would just choose to wait until February to sign. Why would they sign with only knowing a coach,  for say 2 weeks, when they can just wait 8 weeks to get a better feel.

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on October 30, 2017, 10:42:40 am
I disagree. If they fire their HC, they'll want to get the new HC on campus as soon as possible to meet with recruits that are planning to sign early.

Will literally be the last thing they are worried about.

Who is to say the new coach would even want said recruits?

Inhogswetrust

October 30, 2017, 10:46:05 am #65 Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 08:54:30 pm by Inhogswetrust

Do you honestly think a current coach is going to go to another campus while his team still has games left unless the original school finds out and lets him leave? Maybe one, your beloved BP. Heck I remember when a coach got fired at BC I believe it was for even saying he was going to go interview for another job.

GuvHog

Quote from: rhames on October 30, 2017, 10:44:57 am

Will literally be the last thing they are worried about.

Who is to say the new coach would even want said recruits?

Be serious. That close to the early signing period there is no way in Hades the new coach would start pulling scholarship offers. That would be a stupid move of EPIC proportions.

ipigsooie

The good news is that Norvell is currently following and recruiting some of our early signees so it woukd seem to make for an easy transition if he were the coach we were able to hire.

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on October 30, 2017, 10:48:51 am
Be serious. That close to the early signing period there is no way in Hades the new coach would start pulling scholarship offers. That would be a stupid move of EPIC proportions.

Like a kid singing with someone who has only recruited him for 2 weeks?

Most kids will wait to sign in February if they sign with a school who has a new coach.

Common sense Guv.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Been10Hog on October 30, 2017, 10:34:10 am
And if we fire BB we will get the 6th choice of coaches, not counting other jobs across the country.

One more year, one more year....................

GuvHog

Quote from: rhames on October 30, 2017, 10:51:05 am

Most kids will wait to sign in February if they sign with a school who has a new coach.

Common sense Guv.

No, it isn't common sense. There are some players who will want to sign early and get it over with.

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on October 30, 2017, 10:57:31 am
No, it isn't common sense. There are some players who will want to sign early and get it over with.

Sure Guv. Sure.

hogsanity

Quote from: rhames on October 30, 2017, 11:01:38 am

Sure Guv. Sure.

Oh there will be kids that sign early for a variety of reasons, not just at Ar but many places.

If I am a in state kid and I want to play at my state school and they have offered, i will sign in Dec if that is where I want to play regardless of coach.

IF I am not getting any other fbs offers, I am going to sign early to make sure I do not lose my spot.

IF I am not getting many offers, I might sign early at the best available option so as not to lose my spot.

East Clintwood

Quote from: hogsanity on October 30, 2017, 09:18:00 am
Then why announce early that BB will not be retained. IF all the other hypotheticals happen, and IF Norvell has "accepted" or said he will accept when offered, just do it like it is usually done. Everyone plays their last game of the regular season, BB gets let go, Norvell gets offered and accepts.

The reason Les was fired so early in the season is that they had intended to fire him the previous season but he went on a win streak and the AD didn't think he could fire him at that point.  So last year they fired him early to avoid having a repeat of the year before.

That's the primary reason for firing a coach before the end of the season.  To remove all doubt.

Since we know Jeff doesn't want to fire Bert at all, he's holding out to the very end and I think fully intends to just let this fester into next season, hoping that Bert will come back strong with 7-6 record in 2018.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

BR

Quote from: rhames on October 30, 2017, 10:51:05 am

Common sense Guv.
I hate to disagree, but Coaches will want that first crack at a player...  On ESPN Radio certain Coaches have said if a player passes on Dec signing, they will look at replacements that will sign right now to lock up the class.... They want that letter signed ASAP
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

rhames

Quote from: hogsanity on October 30, 2017, 11:11:07 am
Oh there will be kids that sign early for a variety of reasons, not just at Ar but many places.

If I am a in state kid and I want to play at my state school and they have offered, i will sign in Dec if that is where I want to play regardless of coach.

IF I am not getting any other fbs offers, I am going to sign early to make sure I do not lose my spot.

IF I am not getting many offers, I might sign early at the best available option so as not to lose my spot.

Obviously it will depend on every single situation.

The whole argument is we have to have a coach so we don't lose recruits in the early signing period.

Most likely the recruits who would have options would just wait to sign in February

Everything you just laid out actually proves my point

Jim Harris

Quote from: GuvHog on October 30, 2017, 10:21:22 am

I don't think Long has to make a public announcement to let Norvell know the UA means business.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

rhames

Quote from: BR on October 30, 2017, 11:19:30 am
I hate to disagree, but Coaches will want that first crack at a player...  On ESPN Radio certain Coaches have said if a player passes on Dec signing, they will look at replacements that will sign right now to lock up the class.... They want that letter signed ASAP

That's just silly and a coach blowing smoke.

Also doesn't really apply here. That would be for a coach that has been at a school for at least a season and recruiting said kid for more than 2 weeks.

Also don't ever hate to disagree. We all have our own takes and opinions. That's what makes for good discussion.

rhames

Quote from: Jim Harris on October 30, 2017, 11:23:20 am
I don't think Long has to make a public announcement to let Norvell know the UA means business.

This.

hogsanity

Quote from: rhames on October 30, 2017, 11:22:23 am

Obviously it will depend on every single situation.

The whole argument is we have to have a coach so we don't lose recruits in the early signing period.

Most likely the recruits who would have options would just wait to sign in February

Everything you just laid out actually proves my point

agreed.

Jim Harris

Quote from: East Clintwood on October 30, 2017, 11:15:14 am
The reason Les was fired so early in the season is that they had intended to fire him the previous season but he went on a win streak and the AD didn't think he could fire him at that point.  So last year they fired him early to avoid having a repeat of the year before.

That's the primary reason for firing a coach before the end of the season.  To remove all doubt.

Since we know Jeff doesn't want to fire Bert at all, he's holding out to the very end and I think fully intends to just let this fester into next season, hoping that Bert will come back strong with 7-6 record in 2018.

With all due respect, no, what happened was while Les was winning one game in a row, the A&M game, after three straight losses, AD Joe Alleva and his booster bosses were trying to get Jimbo Fisher and Jimbo was hinting he'd come. Jimbo had been embarrassed in Tallahassee over details of his divorce, he'd won a NC, he was thinking it might be a good time to move out of there. But then he decided against leaving FSU and when Alleva had no other candidate it was decided in the third quarter of that A&M game that Les was staying, with promises Les had told the boosters earlier that he would change (the offense). Well, he didn't change in the season opener at Wisconsin, and they lost 16-14 and then blew the game at Auburn in Week 4 and they'd had enough and fired him. It had nothing to do with getting ahead of everybody else, it was that he had lied to them and they were done. Orgeron became the interim coach. They made yet another run at Jimbo (who should have taken it this time) and he said no, and Herman chose to go to Texas (which moved with lightning speed), there were no other big-name candidates left that they were truly interested in, and there was enough favorable fan response to native son Orgeron that they (the big boosters via Alleva) chose to give him the full-time job because he would hire a big-time OC who would open up the offense and Dave Arranda would return as DC.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

hogsanity

Quote from: Jim Harris on October 30, 2017, 11:28:53 am
. It had nothing to do with getting ahead of everybody else, it was that he had lied to them and they were done.

Another coach fired for lying to his boss, hmmm.

jethro

NCAA could fix that problem.  Just say if you sign with a school on the early signing date and then your coach is fired or leaves then you can be released until the spring signing date.  Maybe only if the school fires the coach.  If a coach leaves by his choice after the signing period, he was not being very honest with a recruit and you don't want to follow him anyway.

After evaluating the new coach you would still be bound to the school you sign with in the spring.
Registered in 2003.

Least post per day average on this board.

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 30, 2017, 11:40:14 am
Another coach fired for lying to his boss, hmmm.

Yet they are paying his buyout. Obviously they didn't have the evidence to prove the allegations.

sickboy

jethro

Quote from: GuvHog on October 30, 2017, 12:06:30 pm
Yet they are paying his buyout. Obviously they didn't have the evidence to prove the allegations.

Not quite the same as some others tho. 

Lying about whether or not you will open up an offense is not the same as lying about a hire or lying that students received death threats.  Those issues put the school in a position of liability and protecting students or being sued for unfair hiring process.

Legal issues are usually much more cut and dried than what plays you will run or what players you say you will use.
Registered in 2003.

Least post per day average on this board.

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

GuvHog

Quote from: jethro on October 30, 2017, 12:15:51 pm
Not quite the same as some others tho. 

Lying about whether or not you will open up an offense is not the same as lying about a hire or lying that students received death threats.  Those issues put the school in a position of liability and protecting students or being sued for unfair hiring process.

Legal issues are usually much more cut and dried than what plays you will run or what players you say you will use.

Like I said, the fact that they couldn't fire him for cause and are having to pay the buyout means the evidence wasn't there to back up the allegations. They tried to find a reason to fire him for cause and avoid paying the buyout but couldn't find one.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: sickboy on October 30, 2017, 12:09:45 pm
Wait... now they're keeping Butch? You can't let stuff like this leak and then go back. Talk about a mess.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2017/oct/30/butch-jones-its-back-work-another-week/455812/

I'm not sure they've made a decision yet.  Tennessee has their annual "finish with the dregs" back end of their schedule, that includes Missouri and Vanderbilt (and Southern Miss this week for homecoming).  They will make a bowl in all likelihood, and if they can somehow win that, it wouldn't surprise me if they keep ol' Butch around for another year.

Or at least we can all hope...
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on October 30, 2017, 12:06:30 pm

Lying about changing the offense is a lot different than lying about a wreck or lying about death threats. Plus, he could have changed the offense, and he just changed to to something as bad as what he had, so it looked like he lied when really he should just stay away from the offensive side of his team.

Hog Red

October 30, 2017, 12:55:57 pm #90 Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 01:36:06 pm by Hog Red
Quote from: jgphillips3 on October 30, 2017, 08:39:50 am
If we "offer" Norvell comparable money, I would be willing to bet he chooses us over Florida or Tennessee.  For all those who say our expectations are out of whack, look at those fan bases and tell me what you see?  For Christ sake, who wants a job where your expectations are so high you are fired halfway into your third year when you can make the same money at a program where, even though the coach is a failure, some idiots want to give him a sixth year?  Norvell is from Texas, has Arkansas ties and knows we'll build a statue to him for what Florida would fire him over.  Now, I know once upon a time it was different.  However, when was the last time Florida, LSU or Tennessee managed to hire a BIG name and why do you think that is?  Coaches aren't stupid.  They do factor expectations, stability and longevity into their decisions.

Don't agree that he would choose Ark over Tenn or Florida. Coaches are like race car drivers. All race car drivers think they're the best at what they do. Would a race driver rather go to the team with the slower car that will heap praises on them if they are able to get a top 10 finish, Or would they rather go to the top 3 team that routinely finish on the podium and expects a podium finish. The exception is the coach that wants to coach in his home state or school he graduated at.

USChog

The Hawg Marshal

UT is in the same situation as us. They won't make a move until the regular season is over, unless Butch does something stupid.

ThisTeetsTaken

***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

bob slydell

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on October 29, 2017, 03:12:11 pm
Somebody is going to beat us to norvell.

One of the biggest criticisms of Bielema when he first came was that he had never built a program only maintained what someone else built.  Doesn't it give anyone pause that Norvell would basically fall into the same category?
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

hogsanity

Quote from: Bob Slydell on October 30, 2017, 01:13:21 pm
One of the biggest criticisms of Bielema when he first came was that he had never built a program only maintained what someone else built.  Doesn't it give anyone pause that Norvell would basically fall into the same category?

No, because they throw alot and score alot, that is all many here see. They scan the scoreboard each week, and whatever team scores the most or pulls the biggest upset, that is they guy for the job.

Notice how all the Leach talked died down as soon as they got smoked twice?

Dropkick

Quote from: Been10Hog on October 30, 2017, 10:34:10 am
Missouri, Ole Miss and Miss State (if Mullen leaves) are not gonna be ahead of us in the pecking order. Auburn, Florida, A&M would and Tennessee might.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 29, 2017, 09:30:19 pm
I want Shannon back on our Staff!
Of course you do because you have no clue on why he was let go. Then again, you still believe in "the south."

NotSoFastMyFriend

Hog N Bama

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on October 29, 2017, 03:03:41 pm
I despise Tennessee, but I was rooting for them to beat Kentucky last night so they might reconsider and keep Jones.  Doesn't look like there's even a possibility of that now.
Coach carousel there for sure