Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Friday Morning Practice Report

Started by Ross U (HDHF), August 11, 2006, 12:15:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross U (HDHF)

August 11, 2006, 12:15:58 pm Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 12:20:47 pm by HopelesslyDevotedHogFan
Practice was held in the Walker Pavilion this morning due to rain. 
Practice ran a bit differently today, with Special Teams getting a lot of work in the first half.  They worked a lot on punt coverage, blocking, returning, and the same for kickoffs.  One thing I noticed was that Crawford, along with DWill, got reps at kick returning (but not punting as far as I saw).  The offense worked more on the no huddle today, and looked better.  Again, this group seems to keep improving. 

11-on-11:  Man the defense is ready to hit some people.  The pads were popping today (although being indoors made it seem louder).  Offense looked good and I think overall RoJo and Mitch both looked pretty good.  There were 2 times that I remember Mitch getting backside pressure, and calmly stepping up in the pocket.  He looked more comfortable with his throws and really seems to be settling in.  RoJo was solid and I don't remember any glaring mistakes.  TE's looked better at catching today and Ben's blocking is improving.  Wideouts were getting some good separation and had a lot less drops than last night.  Nothing spectacular that I remember off the top of my head.  Solid practice and the offense made strides and the defense is showing a lot of speed and aggressiveness.  I can't think of much else, but if you have any questions, I'll be more than happy to try to answer them.

It was nice to see Razorwire, Karma, 98Hog, and TenneesseeRaz at practice as well.

HogInaStrangeLand

Thanks for posting.

Glad you could be there and willing to give an update.

Hollywood_HOGan

thanks for the report.

Keep on posting good reports like these no matter what nervous nelly says.

When does the next practice start?

Ross U (HDHF)

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on August 11, 2006, 12:21:56 pm
thanks for the report.

6:50 tonight in full pads.  Oh I forgot to mention this morning was shoulder pads and shorts.  The week wraps up with a 6:40 scrimmage on Saturday in RRS.

hog_fan

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: HopelesslyDevotedHogFan on August 11, 2006, 12:23:49 pm
Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on August 11, 2006, 12:21:56 pm
thanks for the report.

6:50 tonight in full pads.  Oh I forgot to mention this morning was shoulder pads and shorts.  The week wraps up with a 6:40 scrimmage on Saturday in RRS.

Cant wait to see reports on the scrimmage. Wish i could go but Im going to that fall game on the 19th.

Will be one of the most attended preseason scrimmages in our history.

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: hog_fan on August 11, 2006, 12:24:20 pm
Did Casey get any snaps?

Casey told me last night, he will be participating in the scrimmage.  But not participating until then.

3kgthog

I hope you know that Nailbitin' Nutt hates you now. Stop giving away the strategery!

RazorHawg16

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on August 11, 2006, 12:29:22 pm
Quote from: hog_fan on August 11, 2006, 12:24:20 pm
Did Casey get any snaps?

Casey told me last night, he will be participating in the scrimmage.  But not participating until then.
I assume we will know then if he is going to be the starter or not.

Ross U (HDHF)

Quote from: 3kgthog on August 11, 2006, 12:37:56 pm
I hope you know that Nailbitin' Nutt hates you now. Stop giving away the strategery!
Quote from: 3kgthog on August 11, 2006, 12:37:56 pm
You know Pete is eatin this stuff up.  :P
What does Nutt think we're writing that's hurting anything?

UnionChristian#3

if you had to pick one, who was better today....Johnson or Mustain?
"It's not who I am on the inside, but it's what I do, that defines who I am."

DOGALUM

Quote from: UnionChristian#3 on August 11, 2006, 12:52:07 pm
I know you weren't asking me.....but I'd pick Mustain in a heartbeat.  (and I think the coaches would too.)
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

HoopS

Strategery almost always will get a +1 from me.

TennesseeRaz

Addtional info:
DNP:  Michael Smith, Chip Gregory, CD, and Kevin Woods (father was in a car wreck)

I don't often get to observe practice as I don't live in the area.  What most impressed me this morning:
1.  "energy" in the building.  There was a sense of urgency and little wasted time (once they finally got started anyway.
2.  WR -- I only saw one pass dropped -- R. Fish  For some reason, C. Washington was the last receiver on the field.  He also fumbled a reception and missed a wide-open Hillis for what would have been a TD.  Williams looks the part.  Crawford and Murphy both had nice catches.
3.  QB -- Clark got a few snaps at the end.  The rest of practice snaps were split between JOhnson and Mustain.  Both played pretty well.  IMO, Mustain is just a natural.  More often than not (and certainly more often than Johnson), Mustain's passes are on a rope, and they hit the receivers where they're supposed to -- in the hands, in stride.  More than that, though, is Mustain's pocket presence.  To just be in shoulder pads and helmets, there was some significant rush.  A couple of times, Mustain just threw it away.  A couple of other times, he just moved around in the pocket and eluded it WHILE MAINTAINING his focus downfield.
4.  RB -- Hillis is coming to play.  Wilkins got a lot of action today as well.  He looked pretty good, but certainly does not have the burst that Jones does.
5.  Varva -- was putting the ball deep in the Endzone on kickoffs.
6.  Best his of the Day:  A. Robinson met Jones or Wilkins in the hole for no gain.

Hope this helps.

TN Raz

Ross U (HDHF)

Quote from: UnionChristian#3 on August 11, 2006, 12:52:07 pm
That's a tough choice.  I'd say Mitch b/c he looked so much more comfortable in the pocket and avoiding the rush.  Robert had a great practice too though and if either was better than the other, it was only by a small margin. Again I choose Mitch based on his composure in the pocket during 11-on-11.

HawgWild

Freakin' OUTSTANDING! Thanks for the reports! +1 Karma for everyone....HA!

Ugly Uncle

Wish I could have made it out today.  I will do my best to be there tonight.

Good job Hopeless. 
Retired Radio Host

maniax22bolts20

karma26

I would say Mitch as well. He just looked so composed and comfortable out there. However, I found myself pleasantly surprised by Johnson. I think though that he prolly looked fairly good in practice last year too and then come game time he basically was his own worst enemy. The guys definitely weren't afraid to hit today. That was refreshing. Everyone looked ready. Hillis is ready to go. I love watching him play. It was a good practice. I love being so close to them that I can hear what they are saying and hear the pads hit. I wish I could see them in full pads. But either way I'm glad I got to go. Got to chat with London Crawford. He seemed like a very nice kid. Cocky on the field is a good thing IMO, I hope he can back it up but up close he was very nice. Good to Bruce as well. Nice to meet all that came out. Hope to see you again at the Tailgate.

DOGALUM

Quote from: karma27 on August 11, 2006, 01:09:31 pm
I would say Mitch as well. He just looked so composed and comfortable out there. However, I found myself pleasantly surprised by Johnson. I think though that he prolly looked fairly good in practice last year too and then come game time he basically was his own worst enemy. The guys definitely weren’t afraid to hit today. That was refreshing. Everyone looked ready. Hillis is ready to go. I love watching him play. It was a good practice. I love being so close to them that I can hear what they are saying and hear the pads hit. I wish I could see them in full pads. But either way I’m glad I got to go. Got to chat with London Crawford. He seemed like a very nice kid. Cocky on the field is a good thing IMO, I hope he can back it up but up close he was very nice. Good to Bruce as well. Nice to meet all that came out. Hope to see you again at the Tailgate.
lol....just like my wife........"pleasantly surprised by Johnson".....
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Ross U (HDHF)

Quote from: DOGALUM on August 11, 2006, 01:16:13 pm
Quote from: karma27 on August 11, 2006, 01:09:31 pm
I would say Mitch as well. He just looked so composed and comfortable out there. However, I found myself pleasantly surprised by Johnson. I think though that he prolly looked fairly good in practice last year too and then come game time he basically was his own worst enemy. The guys definitely weren’t afraid to hit today. That was refreshing. Everyone looked ready. Hillis is ready to go. I love watching him play. It was a good practice. I love being so close to them that I can hear what they are saying and hear the pads hit. I wish I could see them in full pads. But either way I’m glad I got to go. Got to chat with London Crawford. He seemed like a very nice kid. Cocky on the field is a good thing IMO, I hope he can back it up but up close he was very nice. Good to Bruce as well. Nice to meet all that came out. Hope to see you again at the Tailgate.
lol....just like my wife........"pleasantly surprised by Johnson".....
That was wrong....

but funny.... :)

aspivey

Good gosh!! We all know what kind of SHATE RJ throws in games. He is a great practice player, but when it is nut cuttin time he can't do it. I would rather gamble on a true freshman and a wounded Dick than someone who can't handle the pressure.
The Great Dale Divider

JIHawg

Good job.  It's cool how different guys are rotating in each practice and filing reports.

whitemeat

No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.

SultanofSwine

And you have seen him take how many game snaps this season since he got TWO new coaches that know what they are doing?? Oh, that's right the season hasn't started yet.

I'll be the first to admit that I expected RJ to move to the 3 hole in the rotation but there is no way to tell how positive coaching is going to impact these guys until they get in a game.

press ham

jabohog

Great reports. The different reports are getting more synoptic and it really fires you up for football. Thanks.

RazorWire

August 11, 2006, 01:49:57 pm #27 Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 02:00:14 pm by RazorWire
RW's view ...

Practise in my opinion today seemed slower , but in all reality I think it was because things are coming together and don't look so chaotic. I must say that this team has reported in the best condition I have ever seen a squad report. Particularly the WR's. This group and this offense is not stop. The pace is simply frenetic.

Pads were popping today. The O-line was blocking very well in pass situations , but did give up 2 sacks to our very quick De's. For the most part they clogged up the run up the middle ( Keith Jackson is a force ) but did give up the corners somewhat. One play KJ smacked Peyton pretty good.

Speaking of Peyton. Has anyone ever seen Duplicity with Michael Keaton ? Peyton seems to have cloned hisself , the man is everywhere. TE , slot , FB , RB

Felix had a great day. Nice cuts nice work without the ball running routes. I asked him after practise if he would have a 1000 yard season. Wonderful smile " Most definately ".

Torian Wilkins RB Katy , Texas remember that name ...

QB's looked very well today. Thats right even Rojo. Lots of deep balls thrown today. as a matter of fact I think everybody got to throw one or 2 today. From receivers to backs.  Irwin Clark QB out of central got work today as well.

Carlton Salters is a blur ...

Monk is our rock ...

London Crawford. This young man is " all that ". And let me tell you , was a very nice person in real life. That facebook thing is not this young man at all. Was very pleasant. Going to be one of my favorites of all time I can tell .

If you have any question about this guys size I'm 6'2 , and look at diamond cut body.

RazorWire

August 11, 2006, 01:51:48 pm #28 Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 02:04:45 pm by RazorWire
 :)

aspivey

Great picture!! Be careful, Dale is watching you. (London's right shoulder)
The Great Dale Divider

RazorWire

August 11, 2006, 01:57:38 pm #30 Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 02:08:17 pm by RazorWire
Felix ...

Ross U (HDHF)

hogsmaster

Surprised you didn't asked Nutt to move out of the pic, Razor.  Just kidding.  Great stuff everybody.

RazorWire

As always was very good to meet other Hogvillians. I liked the lady in the picture below the most ...

I talked to Dudley dawson after practise and he told me how much he wanted to be a Hogvillian but said the goons over at HI would work him over if they caught him talking to us ...

RazorWire

Quote from: aspivey on August 11, 2006, 01:54:05 pm
Great picture!! Be careful, Dale is watching you. (London's right shoulder)

HDN seems to be losing a little weight. It also appears that his fingernails are growing back. He was really bouncing around out there , he even jogged over at one point to tell my son to get out of the sand ( running lanes ).

OK Houston J/K , we all think your taking this internet thing a little too seriously. Don't beat me down if you see me at the neighborhood market ...

BTW if your reading , what happened to the camera Nazi today , Is he sick ? We didn't see him ...

fusbal11

great stuff guys, thanks for all the info +1's all around
Wooo Pig

Ross U (HDHF)

Quote from: 98Hog on August 11, 2006, 02:19:38 pm
Don't ask about my source but I just heard that CD had an MRI today.
Irwin is reporting this as well.  Sticky at the top of the board.  Hopefully we'll find something out tonight.

Oh and nice meeting you today.

JIHawg

Five bucks to the first guy that gets a full frontal picture of the camera nazi.

Ross U (HDHF)

Quote from: JIHawg on August 11, 2006, 02:30:34 pm
Five bucks to the first guy that gets a full frontal picture of the camera nazi.
CiriusPorker has been trying for 2 days now.

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: JIHawg on August 11, 2006, 02:30:34 pm

Check my pictures.  I got him.

TulsaHogFan

August 11, 2006, 02:37:07 pm #41 Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 02:38:39 pm by TulsaHogFan

Camera Nazi in Middle

karma26

Well done my friend.... well done.

TulsaHogFan

Jim Harris

"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Ross U (HDHF)

Quote from: drakehog on August 11, 2006, 02:49:16 pm
Quote from: TulsaHogFan on August 11, 2006, 02:37:07 pm

Camera Nazi in Middle

They have Ealy working as the camera nazi now?

Yep that's him.  If you're nice, he'll even give you a roster :D

bigred7987

Lol please tell me thats not really ealy as the camera nazi,

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: bigred7987 on August 11, 2006, 05:42:25 pm
Lol please tell me thats not really ealy as the camera nazi,

Yep.  But he is really nice about it.
Retired Radio Host

bigred7987

Wat is his official duty now?  Almost feel sorry for the guy now

silvertip

Quote from: aspivey on August 11, 2006, 01:25:31 pm
... I would rather gamble on a... wounded Dick...

Be careful what you ask for man.

Isn't it great to have a Dick & a Johnson to keep us talking?

OK...a lot of you youngins may not have heard this one...about former President Richard Nixon when he was in big trouble. Here 'tis:

Bob, "Hey Joe, did you hear Nixon's wife filed for divorce?"
Joe, " Oh really? What was their problem?"
Bob, " Well, she just got tired of the same old crooked Dick!"

Thank you. I'll be here all week. (unless I'm banned)