Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How long has it been since we had a QB battle between to very good QB's

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, August 10, 2006, 08:04:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Bionic_Pig

and not the best available.....  ;)  I am convinced whomever starts is going to set a few passing records in the spread offense behind Coach Malzahn guidence...and Coach Woods encouragment and tips - that I am certain of.

and Oh!!! Let us not forget this amazing character - Coach Herring below
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

silvertip

Well, assuming you mean a battle between "two" good QBs---I don't know. But our resident expert HDN seems to think it's been every year since 2000. :-[ 

Hawgz4Life

Stoerner and Cherr....uhhh....Jones and Jackso....hmmmm.....Well, you got me. I can't remember...

nwarazfan

nwarazfan

RAZ FAN

We have had some in the last several years, only because of the coaches not being able to access the talent and play the best one. Now I thinks we have 2 coaches (Mal/Woods) that can find the best QB and play him.

hogsmaster

There were uncertainies who would start heading into Jones' sophmore season before they decided that MJ was their best chance to win.  I say there was a significant fraction of fans wanting TJack to start and play Matt at WR cause that would be his NFL position.

hoginator

Hands down, this is it...

1976-1977 -- In 1976, as a backup to Ron Calcagni, Nutt starts three games and leads Arkansas to a 46-14 victory over TCU. In 1977, as Calcagni's backup, Nutt completes 25 of 53 passes for 384 yards and 3 touchdowns.

Any questions?
8)
Someone who doesn't stand for something will fall for anything...

PigPusher

One of the classics was Joe Ferguson and Bill Montgomery I believe.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

TNhogfan

Scott Bull, Mike Kirkland and Mark Miller in the '74 season, before Bull emerged as the starter in '75 and took the Hogs to the Cotton Bowl.

Bacons Rebellion

To include your constraint "and not the best available", I think 1967 with Ronnie South (good passer) and John Eichler (good option guy) fighting it out, but with Bill Montgomery watching as a freshman (and not available).

hogsanity

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

MF

"Public sentiment is everything. With public sentiment, nothing can fail; without it nothing can succeed." ~ Abraham Lincoln

hogpowr

Never, and maybe not now.......if Casey Dick redshirts he might be an excellent backup to Mustain and then to Burns........
Welcome Coach Bielema!

Hoghead

Quote from: PigPusher on August 10, 2006, 11:36:11 pm

Never happened! Bill Montgomery was locked in at QB his Jr. & Sr. Seasons. Fergueson started after Montgomery left.

hogsNbeer

Quote from: Hoghead on August 11, 2006, 02:04:33 pm
Quote from: PigPusher on August 10, 2006, 11:36:11 pm

Never happened! Bill Montgomery was locked in at QB his Jr. & Sr. Seasons. Fergueson started after Montgomery left.

I remember there was a QB battle in 77-78, and some player whom will go un-named Houston put his tail between his legs a ranoff to Okie State...

hawgstuff

Quote from: TNhogfan on August 11, 2006, 05:45:01 am
Scott Bull, Mike Kirkland and Mark Miller in the '74 season, before Bull emerged as the starter in '75 and took the Hogs to the Cotton Bowl.

Kirkland was actually the start of the 1975 season and led the hogs to a 4-1 start, but injured his knee in the 5th game and was lost for the year.  Bull then became the starter and led the Hogs the rest of the way to a 6-1 finish and the Cotton Bowl victory.