Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DMac? Comment on DTS

Started by casken, August 10, 2006, 05:18:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

casken

Listening to DTS a few minutes ago.  Had a phone call so I was divided in attention but thought RR said DMac might be out all year.   It was in the context of talking about how bad the injury actually was. Somebody tell me I heard it wrong.  Please.
"The human capacity to know the good and the right is distorted by the human will to fulfill desire."-Dallas Willard

pioneerbasketball

Its DTS, they spin anything.

brodie_hawg

you heard it wrong.   they said there was a very slim chance he could make it back by usc and that everyone  expects him back during the month of sept and that no one thought it was a season or career ending injury.

hogfancb

Well, my heart just started beating again.  Thanks!

DevilHog

There are people on this board who have very good memories. So, I'll say this as I have said it before. I have not talked to anyone that says, with any certainty, that he will return this year. Time will tell the tale, but the injury is what it is. Big toe is a bad thing to hurt.

LZH

DTS has an unlimited supply of 'happy gas'.  Rainwater is an old aquaintence of mine (I don't blame him for not admitting it).

hogwild32

A caller stated " I heard that DMAC's toe was almost severed off and that he could be out for the season" (rough quote).  RR stated that it was a complex injury that need complex surgery, but it's not the bone that needs time to heal.  Just like when you get stitches.  It's the stitches that need time to heal.  So the skin doesnt split back open.  The caller stated that DMAC and coaches should make sure he can walk fine, before stepping on the field.  He went on to mention that maybe DMAC should be redshirted.  RR agree and stated that, that will happen if both DMAC and the trainers feel that it's the best thing

Boarcephus

Quote from: hogwild32 on August 10, 2006, 08:47:50 pm
RR stated that it was a complex injury that need complex surgery, but it's not the bone that needs time to heal.  Just like when you get stitches.  It's the stitches that need time to heal.  So the skin doesnt split back open.  The caller stated that DMAC and coaches should make sure he can walk fine, before stepping on the field.  He went on to mention that maybe DMAC should be redshirted. 

Soft tissue healing time is 3 weeks so we'll see.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

HoopS

I would absolutely be shocked if he redshirts.  I know a surgeon who has performed this exact same kind of surgery on NFL players and he said it takes a month to heal and that he should be able to play soon after.  He also said there is an insert that he can use that will insure not damaging it while running.  He did say that because of the high profile of DMc and the fact he is a running back, they may go a tad slower than some others.  Unless something strange happens, and based off of Docs experience, I think the SC game will be possible.  I rarely have inside info and this hardly qualifies, but I trust my friend's estimation.

casken

Quote from: brodie_hawg on August 10, 2006, 07:48:17 pm
you heard it wrong.   they said there was a very slim chance he could make it back by usc and that everyone  expects him back during the month of sept and that no one thought it was a season or career ending injury.

Suites me fine...I was hoping I heard it wrong.
"The human capacity to know the good and the right is distorted by the human will to fulfill desire."-Dallas Willard

e_dub

I worked for UPS while I was in college about 4 years ago.  I dropped a 50 box that was about an inch thick on my big toe and had pretty much the same injury he had. It wasn't broken, just really butchered.  It swole, turned purple for about 3 weeks and I limped around on it for about a month and a half before the nail finally fell off in a most grotesque site of carnage.  Don't expect him back for the USC game.  He might make it back for conference play, based on my own recovery time.  Not trying to bring anybody down, but just stating my own experience on the subject of jacked up big toes.

VoR

Quote from: e_dub on August 10, 2006, 09:21:52 pm
I worked for UPS while I was in college about 4 years ago.  I dropped a 50 box that was about an inch thick on my big toe and had pretty much the same injury he had. It wasn't broken, just really butchered.  It swole, turned purple for about 3 weeks and I limped around on it for about a month and a half before the nail finally fell off in a most grotesque site of carnage.  Don't expect him back for the USC game.  He might make it back for conference play, based on my own recovery time.  Not trying to bring anybody down, but just stating my own experience on the subject of jacked up big toes.

Not saying it won't take time, but question, did you go to UAMS and have surgery almost immediately? Did you walk on crutches afterwards vs. hobbleling around? DMac has a few advantages neither you nor I would have at our disposal, meanwhile I lean more towards what I have read from medical professionals, while crossing my fingers, and sacrificing chickens to my Joe Budda doll (or whatever it was named from Major League).
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

hogsmaster

Quote from: DevilHog on August 10, 2006, 08:31:21 pm
There are people on this board who have very good memories. So, I'll say this as I have said it before. I have not talked to anyone that says, with any certainty, that he will return this year. Time will tell the tale, but the injury is what it is. Big toe is a bad thing to hurt.

While no one has guaranteed that Dmac will play this year, I see no reason why he wouldn't.  He dislocated his toe, which is complicated by the open wound and surgery, but if the wound heal without complications, his toe will be fine.  Really there is no rehab needed for this injury because of where it is (distal interphalangeal joint).  It is not an ankle or knee injury where you need to strengthen a specific muscle or group of muscles.  You just let the wound heal hopefully without any infection and at the same time wait the 4-6 weeks period for this dislocation to heal. Now that walking boot will limit his lower extremity movement and keep him from working out to keep in shape.  Once he is able to take off the walking boot, he will need to stretch and strengthen those muscles (mainly the ankle muscles including the soleus, gastrocnemius, and tibialis anterior) but that shouldn't be a problem if his doc doesn't have him wear the boot too long.

I think he may even play some in the USC game.  Athletes heal faster than the average people and those healing time are based on research studies that were done on your average people.

e_dub

Quote from: the_birdman on August 10, 2006, 11:05:29 pm
Quote from: e_dub on August 10, 2006, 09:21:52 pm

Not saying it won't take time, but question, did you go to UAMS and have surgery almost immediately? Did you walk on crutches afterwards vs. hobbleling around? DMac has a few advantages neither you nor I would have at our disposal, meanwhile I lean more towards what I have read from medical professionals, while crossing my fingers, and sacrificing chickens to my Joe Budda doll (or whatever it was named from Major League).

No mine wasn't bad enough for crutches and I didn't need surgery, so his injury was probably even worse than mine.  It was more of a limp than a hobble, but I also wasn't trying to play college football either.  My point was not that he's screwed and we're all going to be disappointed.  My point was that we should be cautiously optimistic about his return and if he doesn't come back for the first game, people shouldn't be crying about it.  This kind of thing happens and it does take considerable time to heal, especially for a high level athlete competing in high level competition.  I'd hate for him to get put out there prematurely and end up getting hurt worse because he was concentrating on not hurting his toe.

Hawg_Heaven

He may not play, but I bet he still dresses out for the USC game.