Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SI lists top ten freshmen

Started by Swynler Durden, August 10, 2006, 04:09:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WILL CLINTON

The reason there was no mention of MM, was because the title was "10 freshmen ready to take college football by storm".  As anyone from the Tavern knows, MM is ready to take the NFL by storm.  These were just the 10 closest to Mitch in college football. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

mikeirwin

hogrocker

Remember what happened with SI hyped Cobbs after his freshman year?  I say we want to avoid the SI jinx all we can.

Swynler Durden

Anyone else remember when they annointed Ron Powlus as the next savior of ND football?

doo-ran

I
Quote from: hogrocker on August 10, 2006, 04:20:09 pm
Remember what happened with SI hyped Cobbs after his freshman year?  I say we want to avoid the SI jinx all we can.
I'm not superstitious, it's bad luck.

dman

Quote from: dooran on August 10, 2006, 04:21:48 pm
I
Quote from: hogrocker on August 10, 2006, 04:20:09 pm
I'm not superstitious, it's bad luck.
Ask Darren about too much hype.

Tomhog™

Was surprised to see Stafford, Sneed, and Tebow on there w/o Mustain.  Mustain was the highest decorated HS football player in the nation.  I'm sure SI is just so confident that Casey Dick will be outstanding this year that MM just wasn't going to get to show his stuff...  :-\

hogrocker

Kerry Wood got the cover of SI's baseball edition after his rookie year, then blew out his elbow.  He's never pitched a full season since.  If I were an athlete, I would stay away from SI.

Torqued pork

Didn't SI ignore our track program on its list of sports dynasties as well? >:(

Ross U (HDHF)

Quote from: Bubbaswinestein on August 10, 2006, 04:31:48 pm

And also ignored our Indoor NC on their list of spring sports champions.

judgeroyswine

the thing that makes me mad although i understand not wanting attention from SI is that they mention "But can they follow in the footsteps of other frosh phenoms such as Steve Slaton, Adrian Peterson or Brady Quinn"

Steve Slaton was more of a phenom than D-Mac???
He ran against big east teams c'mon.
Overcoming the gloom, despair, and agony of Hog fandom since 1961.

Ross U (HDHF)

Quote from: judgeroyswine on August 10, 2006, 04:45:07 pm
the thing that makes me mad although i understand not wanting attention from SI is that they mention "But can they follow in the footsteps of other frosh phenoms such as Steve Slaton, Adrian Peterson or Brady Quinn"

Brady Quinn? I'm sorry the kid wasn't anything special at ND until Weiss got there.  He was good, don't get me wrong, but phenom? Psh!

RazorbackRed73

We will never get attention from SI. We would go undefeated for 10 straight years and win 10 national championships outscoring our opponents 10000000000 to 3 and it would all be a fluke. SI is a bunch of yankee HOG HATERS, without a doubt.

Broken Trigger

August 10, 2006, 06:47:28 pm #14 Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 06:49:21 pm by RazorbackRick
Rest assured that Mitch would have made that list if he would have went to ND, USC, or a Florida team.  Arkansas and it's players always seem to be a notch below in the getting love department with the national media.   >:(  The funny thing is that Arkansas got more production from it's freshman class last year than possibly any team in the nation. 

CoachJ

He ran them to a win in the Sugar Bowl and DMac didn't play in a bowl game.  That may have something to do with it. 

SbrokeskiAg

Wow...a little biased towards the big programs are we Mr. McCartney!  Snead-no way; Tebow-is Leak really that bad?;
Rolle-maybe, Kindle-maybe
Stafford, Spiller, Smith, Johnson, Harvin, Wells...okay
Funny not to see Mitch getting hype just like all these guys but, I guess that could be a good thing.
As far as the SI jinx...there are plenty of discretion's there and this is a webpage, not the cover.

hogsmaster

Whether MM should be included or not in that article is irrelevant.  Either way, he will still need to prove it on the field.  He already has enough pressure.

dmhog v2.0

Quote from: hogrocker on August 10, 2006, 04:31:37 pm
If I were an athlete, I would stay away from SI.

And Madden covers as a Pro Athlete. At least until a few more years go by without injured coverboys.

JOESC

OK...my $.02...

They got it correct with Stafon Johnson, RB USC in the top ten...

Were is Vidal Hazelton, WR USC?

What about Taylor Mays, S USC? (Oh that's right Taylor Mays plays defense)
The only players that makes SI top ten frosh glitz team are offensive players...

Hey SI...those O speciality guys sell tickets...
Great DEFENSIVE players wins Championships...

Put Taylor Mays in there.
-Respect The Opponent-

hogsmaster

Quote from: JOESC on August 10, 2006, 08:57:41 pm
OK...my $.02...

They got it correct with Stafon Johnson, RB USC in the top ten...

Were is Vidal Hazelton, WR USC?

What about Taylor Mays, S USC? (Oh that's right Taylor Mays plays defense)
The only players that makes SI top ten frosh glitz team are offensive players...

Hey SI...those O speciality guys sell tickets...
Great DEFENSIVE players wins Championships...

Put Taylor Mays in there.

They did included one defensive guy with Rolle from FSU.

ste4236

Timmy Tebow: A name I am more than tired of hearing
Jevan Snead: Wow, do you have too much to live up to

"Cajun King"

Student at Colorado State University

hogfan064

Tim Tebow will barely even play this year.  I live in SC and while Tiger fans are really excited about Spiller most of the attention is on James Davis who had a very good freshman year last year.

Atreyu

Tim Tebow won't play as long as Chris Leak can.
1 by 1, we loaded our guns
up on the mountain all day
and all through the night
HEYHEYHEY

pfrg999

You expect Sports Illustrated to give the Hogs any Love...... They have hated us for years
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

HogInaStrangeLand

Umm...yeah...the SI hog love (lack there of.) goes back many years...

Do you not remember the BS coming from SI when we left the SWC for the SEC??

I mean, come on.

BTW, i used to enjoy SI when I was a kid, now I see it as a joke and will never spend a dime on it until they get their heads surgically removed from certain crevices of their bodies

wincrimson

chillinhoggie

Quote from: Bubbaswinestein on August 10, 2006, 04:31:48 pm
And we keep winning them    coincidence????? I think not.....Hopefully they'll ignore us all the way to a championship in football too....

Hogstocking

August 11, 2006, 12:14:39 pm #28 Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 12:22:07 pm by Piggy Hogstocking

I would normally agree with you about Slaton playing in the Big East.  But he was very impressive in the Sugar Bowl.  He ran all over Georgia.  204 yards and 3 TDs.

I'd take Dmac over Slaton every day of the week, but hes the real deal.  He's fast as hell like Dmac too.