Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Little Rock Sports TV news

Started by hogsmaster, August 09, 2006, 11:31:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsmaster

Did anyone watch KTHV sports show tonight at 10?

Tuning into the different tv sportscasts tonight, I was really disappointed with KTHV.  I knew that the Hogs were in shoulder pads today, but they had a video clip of a previous practice with the players in shorts and helments only. 

While I know that Little Rock is 2-3 hours away from Fayetteville, but that is where the flagship university is and there're tens of thousands Razorbacks fans here in central Arkansas.  Can't believe they didn't fly a helicopter there or pay for a contractor to provide them with a video feed.  Both KARK and KATV had today's practice video.  While Craig is a funny and nice guy, not sure if he is a good tv sports director.

chiefsfan

Quote from: hogsmaster on August 09, 2006, 11:31:01 pm

Tuning into the different tv sportscasts tonight, I was really disappointed with KTHV.  I knew that the Hogs were in shoulder pads today, but they had a video clip of a previous practice with the players in shorts and helments only. 

While I know that Little Rock is 2-3 hours away from Fayetteville, but that is where the flagship university is and there're tens of thousands Razorbacks fans here in central Arkansas.  Can't believe they didn't fly a helicopter there or pay for a contractor to provide them with a video feed.  Both KARK and KATV had today's practice video.  While Craig is a funny and nice guy, not sure if he is a good tv sports director.

KTHV doesnt own a helicopter...  at least thats what KATV claims.   Now as for getting footage.   Most stations dont have the budget to drive 3 hours to film a football practice then drive 3 hours back and then edit it together for an hour.   Sure you can ask for footage from other stations...but they dont have to give it to you...

Plus, the station does not soley exist to cover razorback athletics...
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Hugehogsfan

That is horrible.  11 has gone down,  I would rank it 7, 4, 11, then 16.  7 is head and shoulders above though.  4 is catching up with the Razorback Nation but they are still having problems like the apparent dislike between Bo and the 4 anchors. 

Hugehogsfan

In this state you budget for that issue specifically.  Hogs rule in this state. 

hogsmaster

Quote from: chiefsfan on August 09, 2006, 11:38:05 pm

KTHV doesnt own a helicopter...  at least thats what KATV claims.   Now as for getting footage.   Most stations dont have the budget to drive 3 hours to film a football practice then drive 3 hours back and then edit it together for an hour.   Sure you can ask for footage from other stations...but they dont have to give it to you...

Plus, the station does not soley exist to cover razorback athletics...

How come both the other stations could do it then?

Hugehogsfan

Well in 11's defense, 7 has the in with ARSN, and 4 does the RN thing with the NW stations.  They are on their own there. 

Hugehogsfan

True that Fresh, I mean if you don't cover the Hogs well you are no where in this market. 

chiefsfan

7 and 4 do have a huge advantage because of their close ties to the program.   But budgeting to drive 6 hours every day to fayetville just to film a 30 second piece ever single solitary day is just ridiculous.   That would be like commuting from Fayetville to little rock for work.

Most viewers probably arent going to notice that they are using yesterday's practice footage either...     

On a side note, razorback fans may love 4 because of their all razorback sports coverage...but I do believe they actually lost ground in the latest sweeps ratings.     Suprisingly, razorback fans dont make up every single news watching person in the state.  I actually refuse to watch channel 4 because of the Razorback nation stuff...

Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

mikeirwin

The people on this board are not typical TV viewers. You guys sometimes scrutinize things the average Razorback fan couldn't care less about.
There are 10,000 members here. Maybe 500 are active posters. Perhaps twice that many read here every day. How does that compare with a central Arkansas TV audience ? It doesn't.
The average person who watches local TV in LR would not notice the difference between shorts and tee shirts and shorts, tee shirts and shoulder pads.
I'll tell you something else. We are only allowed to shoot for 20 minutes. They run the same drills for the same 20 minutes every day. After two or three days your video all starts to look the same.
Plus anything interesting almost always happens after the 20 minute shooting period is over.
Sending a helicopter to Fayetteville to get fresh video that shows the difference between the same ole drills in shorts and tee shirts and shorts, tee shirts and shoulder pads would be idiotic.

Jim Harris

here's the deal. KTHV is going to be left behind by KARK and KATV unless they buckle down and get an agreement with a Fayetteville outlet to provide them the same thing that KARK is getting with Bo and KATV is going to get with Clay Henry when that deal starts. Craig O'Neill, god love him, is not going to be able to adequately cover the hogs from Little Rock. Nobody can stuck in Little Rock.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Hoggy Potter

Channel 7 was a day behind on their footage as well.  4 was the only one with anything new.  I'm still very loyal to 7 but 4 has better in-depth coverage of the Hogs if that is what you want.  I simply TIVO both and get the best of both worlds.
Just Play to Win Baby!!!

hogsanity

WOnder why 11 does not just have 5 in FT Smith send them video? 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Porkerpower

The first thing ch.11 needs to understand is what their market wants in sports coverage.  And this time of year it's a no brainer.
Ch 4 is in the same situation as ch. 11 in that they are not affiliated with the university.  So ch 4 made a deal with the nwark guys, or whoever pay Bo Matt Turner, ect..., and provide their coverage that way.
Ch. 11 had better camp somebody out with a sat. dish or something really quick.

doo-ran

Quote from: Fresh Legs on August 09, 2006, 11:55:47 pm
Quote from: Hugehogsfan on August 09, 2006, 11:44:45 pm
Well in 11's defense, 7 has the in with ARSN, and 4 does the RN thing with the NW stations.  They are on their own there. 

Viewers don't care about excuses.  I would guess they consistently rank 3rd in Sports down here.  I only flip it on to KATV and KARK when I do watch the news, which is rare.
I quit watching channel 11 many years ago. When Sully was on 4 doing his high school football, and Ned on 7 flying around the state eating KFC chicken legs and beating a drum at the pregame tailgates; channel 11 would be showing barrel racing, tennis, or the water-skiing squirrel. I simply lost confidence in their ability to put together a decent sports segment long ago.

rzrbaxfan

QuoteI quit watching channel 11 many years ago. When Sully was on 4 doing his high school football, and Ned on 7 flying around the state eating KFC chicken legs and beating a drum at the pregame tailgates; channel 11 would be showing barrel racing, tennis, or the water-skiing squirrel. I simply lost confidence in their ability to put together a decent sports segment long ago.

I quit watching channel 7 years ago for similar reasons.  I wanted to find out about local sports and all I got was how KATV employees were losing weight.  They show by far way more commercials than the other 2, plus it seems like the sports segment is rushed and usually get one or two good stories in and thats about it.  They do a great job of covering HS football on Friday nights, but we are usually at a game or in the car comnig home while its on (usually listening to the Buzz with the HS coaches calling in...thats good stuff).  I give 11 the edge when it comes to covering high school sports, 4 for hog coverage, and 7 is last to me.  I am probably alone there, but thats ok.

mikeirwin

Quote from: hogsanity on August 10, 2006, 09:43:17 am
They do have an agreement. However there are satellite limitations. CBS affiliates
all over the country are using satellite windows and those things can get booked up in a hurry. If a practice runs late, for instance, by the time we get video and sound back to
our building it might be too late for KTHV to get a window.
KARK has different set up. The same people who own KARK own KNWA.
What KTHV needs is a fiber optics feed from KFSM but that stuff is extremely expensive.

hogsmaster

Quote from: mikeirwin on August 10, 2006, 01:33:06 am

Sending a helicopter to Fayetteville to get fresh video that shows the difference between the same ole drills in shorts and tee shirts and shorts, tee shirts and shoulder pads would be idiotic.

Actually, I also watch for coaches'/players' interviews.  It gives me more feedbacks on practice that day.  KTHV showed a Nutt interview, but it was from Monday media day.  Maybe I am not informed enough on TV logistics, but surely there is a viable option.

Lanny

KARK is the best in Central Arkansas for Razorback Sports and High School Sports.  KARK works with a fantastic website to inform everyone of their favorite high school teams.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

doo-ran

Quote from: rzrbaxfan on August 10, 2006, 10:47:19 am
QuoteI quit watching channel 11 many years ago. When Sully was on 4 doing his high school football, and Ned on 7 flying around the state eating KFC chicken legs and beating a drum at the pregame tailgates; channel 11 would be showing barrel racing, tennis, or the water-skiing squirrel. I simply lost confidence in their ability to put together a decent sports segment long ago.

I quit watching channel 7 years ago for similar reasons.  I wanted to find out about local sports and all I got was how KATV employees were losing weight.  They show by far way more commercials than the other 2, plus it seems like the sports segment is rushed and usually get one or two good stories in and thats about it.  They do a great job of covering HS football on Friday nights, but we are usually at a game or in the car comnig home while its on (usually listening to the Buzz with the HS coaches calling in...thats good stuff).  I give 11 the edge when it comes to covering high school sports, 4 for hog coverage, and 7 is last to me.  I am probably alone there, but thats ok.
I listen to the buzz also. I never will forget Frank Vines calling in talking about how the Alma defense held McFadden to something like 9 of 13 for 23 yards. I couldn't believe how the Airdales found a way to shut down Oak Groves running game with McFadden. Alma held the Hornets to 7 points and then lost to Wynne the next week. Hopefully, coaches won't get video of that game...Ha Ha Ha!

dana caldwell

"KATV is going to get with Clay Henry when that deal starts."

is that something that's actually in the works? 

pikehog

I could care less. What is gained by them sending someone up there to show them in full pads. Do you get some new insight into the practices. It seems like a waste of time and effort to me.

jwaldhog

August 10, 2006, 12:55:36 pm #21 Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 12:59:08 pm by jwaldhog
Quote from: dooran on August 10, 2006, 10:10:56 am
Quote from: Fresh Legs on August 09, 2006, 11:55:47 pm
Quote from: Hugehogsfan on August 09, 2006, 11:44:45 pm

Viewers don't care about excuses.  I would guess they consistently rank 3rd in Sports down here.  I only flip it on to KATV and KARK when I do watch the news, which is rare.
I quit watching channel 11 many years ago. When Sully was on 4 doing his high school football, and Ned on 7 flying around the state eating KFC chicken legs and beating a drum at the pregame tailgates; channel 11 would be showing barrel racing, tennis, or the water-skiing squirrel. I simply lost confidence in their ability to put together a decent sports segment long ago.

I miss Sully being on KARK and Friday Night Flights

I remember Barry Brandt coming to my school back in the day too...

My folks were hard core Channel 4 people, things have changed so much...

Alkehog

I was totally turned off by Channel 11 when they started allowing viewers to call in during the 5:00 newscast and give their opinion on various topics.  No offense, but I don't care what everyone else thinks when I am trying to watch the news.  Give it to me and don't let stupid people call in and talk on the air.  And why do the idiots seem to always get through?  The person that screens those calls needs to do a better job.   :-\  IMO

hogsanity

Quote from: mikeirwin on August 10, 2006, 10:47:51 am
They do have an agreement. However there are satellite limitations. CBS affiliates
all over the country are using satellite windows and those things can get booked up in a hurry. If a practice runs late, for instance, by the time we get video and sound back to
What KTHV needs is a fiber optics feed from KFSM but that stuff is extremely expensive.

Thanks Mike. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

rzrbaxfan

QuoteI was totally turned off by Channel 11 when they started allowing viewers to call in during the 5:00 newscast and give their opinion on various topics.  No offense, but I don't care what everyone else thinks when I am trying to watch the news.  Give it to me and don't let stupid people call in and talk on the air.  And why do the idiots seem to always get through?  The person that screens those calls needs to do a better job.     IMO

I hated that too.  I am glad it was short lived.

hogsmaster

Quote from: hSv on August 10, 2006, 12:42:11 pm
KARK is the best in Central Arkansas for Razorback Sports and High School Sports.  KARK works with a fantastic website to inform everyone of their favorite high school teams.

That is my favorite now also.  I am not big into the high school stuff, but they provide plenty of Razobacks news.  I always tune into them first cause they are must see tv of the three stations.

woodhog14

Quote from: Hoggy Potter on August 10, 2006, 08:14:14 am
Channel 7 was a day behind on their footage as well.  4 was the only one with anything new.  I'm still very loyal to 7 but 4 has better in-depth coverage of the Hogs if that is what you want.  I simply TIVO both and get the best of both worlds.

I agree.  KARK's Razorback Nation and The Pig Trail on Sunday, have much better information than either KATV or KTHV. 

WILL CLINTON

but I'm sure that if poor little south arkansas can get a fiber data network, that the rich NW section of Arkansas can too.  I would assume that SWB (ATT, whatever) already has the fiber optic network, these stations just need to pay to access it. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: dubyaceethese stations just need to pay to access it.

FYI, local tv stations do not have buckets of money just laying around.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

razr70

to quote Allen Iverson, "What are we talking about, practice?" :razorback:

Jim Harris

Quote from: woodhog14 on August 10, 2006, 04:39:15 pm

I agree.  KARK's Razorback Nation and The Pig Trail on Sunday, have much better information than either KATV or KTHV. 

Razorback Nation is forcing KATV to make a competitive move with its sports this fall, and with Sportsweek. I don't know what KTHV will do. THey've done a decent job in the past with an extended local Sunday night sports show, but that will still fall short of what Razorback Nation offers and what Hawgs Illustrated may offer KATV if that proposed deal is made. There was talk of that deal, then talk it was off, and now with Paul Eells gone, talk that it might be back on again.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Lanny

Quote from: drakehog on August 10, 2006, 05:23:48 pm
Quote from: woodhog14 on August 10, 2006, 04:39:15 pm

Razorback Nation is forcing KATV to make a competitive move with its sports this fall, and with Sportsweek. I don't know what KTHV will do. THey've done a decent job in the past with an extended local Sunday night sports show, but that will still fall short of what Razorback Nation offers and what Hawgs Illustrated may offer KATV if that proposed deal is made. There was talk of that deal, then talk it was off, and now with Paul Eells gone, talk that it might be back on again.

Why not bring back the Bozo Show?  Same difference
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

doo-ran

Oh the Bozo show! That was so much fun!

LZH

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on August 10, 2006, 05:04:26 pm

I don't know...KATV, with their ARSN $$$, has a pretty healthy budget when it comes to coverage of the Hogs (or so I was told a year or two ago by someone who works there, of course they could be braggin').  KARK has done well chasing KATV here lately.  KTHV is...well I can't say, I don't usually watch Ch 11.

Whataboar™

Quote from: Alkehog on August 10, 2006, 01:08:05 pm
I was totally turned off by Channel 11 when they started allowing viewers to call in during the 5:00 newscast and give their opinion on various topics.  No offense, but I don't care what everyone else thinks when I am trying to watch the news.  Give it to me and don't let stupid people call in and talk on the air.  And why do the idiots seem to always get through?  The person that screens those calls needs to do a better job.   :-\  IMO
While I sample all three Little Rock network affiliates at news time, I couldn't believe KTHV's try at listener call-in segments.
I don't tune in the 5 p.m. news to hear call-in radio, which is basically what it became before they ditched it.
When I watch TV, I'm expecting news and accompanying video, not viewers calling in opinions while the anchors stand there looking uncomfortable.
Never understood KTHV management's thinking on that one.
As for sports coverage, I've grown to like KARK's Razorback Nation with Bo.
They package and promote it well. I also think it does help to be closer to the source as well.
KTHV and KATV both do well with local sports stories, such as soccer and other lesser sports.

"Daddy. When you and mommy first met, did you love yourself first or did mommy love you first?'' _ our then 7-year-old daughter.

WILL CLINTON

no one said they did, I don't think.  I just figured if Camden, Magnolia, El Dorado, could put together enough money to get one down here, that it wasn't that big of a stretch to figure that between Fort Smith, NWA, and Little Rock they would be able to pool their resources to get enough money to access it. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

blake

There are  fiber link's  running to NW Arkansas from Fort Smith. I would bet the locals could afford it.

hogsanity

I ahve an idea!  If KTHV is so bad, DONT WATCH.  If their ratings get bad enough, they will change the way they do things.  Ratings = $$$$$$$$.

Tater Salad

Quote from: hogsanity on August 11, 2006, 11:42:37 am
I ahve an idea!  If KTHV is so bad, DONT WATCH.  If their ratings get bad enough, they will change the way they do things.  Ratings = $$$$$$$$.

The thing about KTHV is that people without cable (I know quite a few) pick up that station better than the other two, so naturally it's the one they watch.

mikeirwin

Quote from: dubyacee on August 10, 2006, 04:55:58 pm

but I'm sure that if poor little south arkansas can get a fiber data network, that the rich NW section of Arkansas can too.  I would assume that SWB (ATT, whatever) already has the fiber optic network, these stations just need to pay to access it. 
The fiber link does exist. The cost to use it is another matter.
The dire predictions that some of you have made for the demise of KTHV is laughable.
Stations do not build their ratings on sports alone. In fact sports is a small part of it.

pikehog

Quote from: Alkehog on August 10, 2006, 01:08:05 pm
I was totally turned off by Channel 11 when they started allowing viewers to call in during the 5:00 newscast and give their opinion on various topics.  No offense, but I don't care what everyone else thinks when I am trying to watch the news.  Give it to me and don't let stupid people call in and talk on the air.  And why do the idiots seem to always get through?  The person that screens those calls needs to do a better job.   :-\  IMO

What many of you fail to realize is that each broadcast is set for a different demo, hence the reasons they do different things at different times and don't run the same stories each time.

The demo most likely to watch the 5:00 news is typically a retiree or stay at home mom. Why? Because most people are still at work or on there way home. That's why you get hokey more down to earth stuff on that news. You will also get more segments on health and family during the 5:00.

The 6:00 is geared for a younger more engaged viewer, one that wants the news of the day and does not care so much about special interest crap. Hence the reason you get more news stories than the 5:00.

The 10:00 is a lot of rehash and combines both and has generally an expanded sports because it is the time more people are going to be watching.

All in all, as Mike pointed out, sports is but a small part of the news every night, and contrary to what a lot of poster believe, not all of Arkansas revolves around the hogs practice. The active posters here probably make up less than 1/10th of 1 percent of the viewing audience. As such they aren't a huge segment.

counsellorhog

FYI, Craig O'Neal at THV is a graduate of Arkansas State.