Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

#9 Jersey

Started by MJ2, August 09, 2006, 03:54:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MJ2

Who's wearing the #9 jersey in practice?   Someone has been practicing in it?  Isn't this # "reserved" since it's not yet retired?

FBPLAYER65

If the UA retires no. 9 then we are a bigger joke than I thought. Since when do average players get their jerseys retired?

Hawgz4Life

It probably will never be retired unless MJ wins multiple superbowls, MVP's or ends up in the HOF...Hell, Alworth's #23 isn't retired, what makes ya think MJ's #9 will be.

RazorWire

Matterral Richardson. CB.

LA HAWG

While Matt was a great player and well above average, I don't think his number should be retired.

hydrophonic

I'll never understand why the mods don't ban trolls faster.
"The future sucks." "Change it."

LA HAWG

Quote from: hydrophonic on August 09, 2006, 03:57:21 pm
I'll never understand why the mods don't ban trolls faster.

Me neither.

fusbal11

Quote from: FBPLAYER65 on August 09, 2006, 03:55:27 pm
If the UA retires no. 9 then we are a bigger joke than I thought. Since when do average players get their jerseys retired?

I hope for sarcasm here, because MJ was not average.
He certainly wasn't a great passer, but average he was not.
Most exciting player I ever saw wear a hog uniform---of course I'm only 35
Wooo Pig

ste4236

It took Oklahoma State forever to even retire Barry Sanders jersey. RW McQuarters (Lions DB) wore it thru his junior season until he got drafted in 1998... dont expect #9 to be retired any time soon.

To me that's like seeing OU retire the #18 jersey now just because Jason White won the Heisman. Nebraska hasnt even retired the #7, I dont believe (Eric Crouch)

"Cajun King"

Student at Colorado State University

silvertip

I'm gonna tell EastexHawg on you.

FBPLAYER65

Quote from: fusbal11 on August 09, 2006, 03:59:15 pm

He was a good runner. I just think he could have put in more effort sometimes. Fans obsess over him too much.

Hugehogsfan

Retire his number, come on now, I loved Matt and his plays as much as the rest of you , but to retire his number means he was one of the greatest and went on to be huge as well.  I haven't seen that yet.  Not that it won't happen, but #9 should be worn again until that happens. 

razrhawg

Matt was second all time in passing at Arkansas, just behind Stoerner, not bad for a guy that had to run for his life everytime he tried to pass.

PulledPork

Quote from: razrhawg on August 09, 2006, 04:18:47 pm

Matt was second all time in passing at Arkansas, just behind Stoerner, not bad for a guy that had to run for his life everytime he tried to pass.
so?  not like arkansas has ever been known for it's passing prowess!  Now if he was number two at BYU or Miami, then he might get some recognition...

Pulled out...

RAZ FAN

Don't think he was great enough to retire his #, but he was an awesome player to watch. If he had a little better support around him, who knows what he may have done. He was the only reason multiple times we won or were even in a place to win a game.

MM-gohogs

i hate to be a self-loathing razorback fan on my first post but i too was a big matt jones fan, but retire his number?? i don't think there is anyway to retire his number      

by the theory of retiring his number because he was number two passing behind clint stoerner, doesn't that mean we have to retire the number 1 guys jersey too?? come on, of course not      

i have friends from oklahoma and texas that say we here in arkansas are a little over the top about matt jones and posts like this guys make me think they are right.  one friend said many here in arkansas would push the former president from our state out of the way to get a glimpse of MJ and even though i vote republican i think he's right, and that is a little absurd.

good day guys

MM
aka: Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville.

nutt huggers: glittering jewels of colossal ignorance - ME

"for all intensive purposes"--me, hogville taught me something today, thanks
missippihog: "I'm not arguing with you road scholars anymore. GO HOGS!"
hogfanwithms: "Georgia and Arkansas has no defense but Alabama does!"
Karma: "MM, we such today and unfortanely they are calling it like it is."

PigManLives

This may be the dumbest thing I have ever seen posted on Hogville!

Junkyard Hog

I don't think Matt Jones should have his jersey retired, but to say he is average is ridiculous.  Keep in mind he holds the SEC career rushing record for a quarterback.

SquirrelMasterFunk

Quote from: MJ2 on August 09, 2006, 03:54:43 pm
Who's wearing the #9 jersey in practice?   Someone has been practicing in it?  Isn't this # "reserved" since it's not yet retired?

::)

I don't even now if they retire numbers at the University, and even if they did I'm sure there are others that are a little more deserving.
Don't get me wrong Matt Jones was one of the most, if not the most, exciting Hog to watch play ball.
But retiring #9 this soon may be just a bit much, its only been 2 years!

:razorback:
user #9084 (the poster formerly known as cbad)

The meaning of life:  Eat less salt, be nice to people, and it is too short for cheap beer! - Stan Bond

Intelligent insults are too often wasted on the uncommonly stupid.

If you can't dazzle them with your intelligence, baffle them with your bull****.

mbgrulz

Quote from: PigManLives on August 09, 2006, 05:39:45 pm

if MJ was average, what the hell are the rest of the guys we had out there with him? if he QB's the 05 texas team, he has a ring right now. matt fumbled the ball away in the texas game, but who made the plays to keep us in the game with them? our D didnt exactly do their part on that last drive either.

i dont agree with MJ getting his # retired. he wasnt an all-world guy. he was the best player we've had in a long time and far from average.

i say keep # 9 off limits for another year or two. i think its the classy thing to do.

FBPLAYER65

Quote from: mbgrulz on August 09, 2006, 08:43:36 pm

if MJ was average, what the hell are the rest of the guys we had out there with him? if he QB's the 05 texas team, he has a ring right now. matt fumbled the ball away in the texas game, but who made the plays to keep us in the game with them? our D didnt exactly do their part on that last drive either.

i dont agree with MJ getting his # retired. he wasnt an all-world guy. he was the best player we've had in a long time and far from average.

i say keep # 9 off limits for another year or two. i think its the classy thing to do.

Andrews was a lot better. McFadden better. Hamlin better. etc

southeasthog

Quote from: Junkyard Hog on August 09, 2006, 07:05:57 pm
I don't think Matt Jones should have his jersey retired, but to say he is average is ridiculous.  Keep in mind he holds the SEC career rushing record for a quarterback.
+1

strathog

I say free up #12 as well.

Oklahawg

12 will never, and should never, be worn by a UA player.

I can't think of any other number that is close to needing to be retired. It will take something horrific, or terrific beyond all recognition, for another UA number to be retired. As in, stuff you can't anticipate, plan for, or look at the football world and say, "well, that happens every year, or two."
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Hog Fan from Camden

mbgrulz

Quote from: FBPLAYER65 on August 09, 2006, 08:50:22 pm
Quote from: mbgrulz on August 09, 2006, 08:43:36 pm

Andrews was a lot better. McFadden better. Hamlin better. etc
the great thing about college sports is we put more emphasis on greatness. to say that andrews is better and hamlin is better is probably true if your speaking in terms of pro-potiential, but who did we look to to win the game?

mcfadden...he's coming on strong, soon to be a "retireable" # IMO.

Tejano Jawg

[/quote]

I don't think the U of A should be the kind of place that retires numbers. Maybe save it for great players who also were also great ambassadors for the state. I do like the idea of the "temporary" retired number, a couple years, as mentioned above.

As for him being "average"...let's line up all of history's top rushing QBs from each conference. Guess what...Matt Jones is on that list. Oh, but his conference was the average SEC.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

VoR

Matt Jones was a great athlete, but how many conf. championships did he lead us to?, what place did he finish in the Heisman Trophy? and if he really is 1 of the elite of the elite QB's ever at U of A, why the heck isn't he playing that position in the pro's?
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

EastexHawg

Quote from: PulledPork on August 09, 2006, 04:21:28 pm

so?  not like arkansas has ever been known for it's passing prowess!  Now if he was number two at BYU or Miami, then he might get some recognition...

Pulled out...

This thread is some funny stuff...

Yes, Matt is second all-time in Arkansas history in passing yardage and TD passes.  Clint Stoerner threw almost 300 more passes in order to throw for four more career TDs.  Matt threw more than twice as many TD passes as Joe Ferguson (53 to 24) in 144 more attempts...with fewer interceptions than Joe.  He threw for more yards per attempt than Stoerner, or Ferguson, or Montgomery, or Brittenum...

Then there is total offense.  Matt is #1 in Arkansas history, and accounted for 1,400 more career yards than Stoerner in 63 fewer plays.  He almost doubled Ferguson in career total offense...outgained Quinn Grovey by 2,000 yards...and Bill Montgomery by 3,300.  In terms of yards per play, he outgained second place Quinn Grovey by close to one full yard per play...7.35 to 6.38...and Stoerner, Ferguson, and Montgomery by a yard and a half or more per play. 

BTW, he also ranks in the top ten in SEC HISTORY in total offense...and his 7.35 yards per play for his career is SECOND in SEC history behind Heisman winner Danny Wuerrfel.

Matt is also in the top ten in SEC history in touchdowns produced with 77.  He blows away everyone in Arkansas history in that category, as Stoerner is second with 62 and Grovey is third with 50.  He out-TDed Ferguson 77 to 32.  77 to 32.

Rushing?  Matt not only is the all-time SEC leader in rushing yards for a QB, but he outgained every runner in Arkansas history by MORE THAN A FULL YARD PER CARRY.  Matt averaged 6.64 yards per carry for his career.  Ben Cowins is second all-time at 5.62.  He outgained Cedric Cobbs, Gary Anderson, and Barry Foster by between 1.4 and 1.5 yards per carry.

That's impressive, but not nearly as impressive as the fact that had Nutt managed to get Matt 18 more rushing attempts in his career, he would qualify for the all-time SEC record book for career yards per rushing attempt...

And he would sit at #1 on the list, just ahead of some guy named BO JACKSON.  There are a few other guys on that list some of you may have heard of, too...like Herschel Walker, Emmitt Smith, Shaun Alexander, Garrison Hearst, Fred Taylor...

Oh, one last thing.  Did I mention that Chris Mortensen wrote a column for ESPN in which he called Matt Jones "the best player in the entire draft" last year?  That Lou Holtz said he was the most valuable player in the SEC, and compared him to Roger Staubach?  That Nick Saban said no player in the SEC single-handedly won more game for his team than Matt Jones?  And that Ron Zook said Matt Jones was the best football player in the SEC?

And yet some fans of his own team refer to him as mediocre. 

Priceless.

RazorDrummer

August 09, 2006, 11:05:00 pm #29 Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 10:30:24 am by RazorDrummer
Quote from: EastexHawg on August 09, 2006, 10:20:39 pm

Pulled out...

Yes, Matt is second all-time in Arkansas history in passing yardage and TD passes.  Clint Stoerner threw almost 300 more passes in order to throw for four more career TDs.  Matt threw more than twice as many TD passes as Joe Ferguson (53 to 24) in 144 more attempts...with fewer interceptions than Joe.  He threw for more yards per attempt than Stoerner, or Ferguson, or Montgomery, or Brittenum...

Then there is total offense.  Matt is #1 in Arkansas history, and accounted for 1,400 more career yards than Stoerner in 63 fewer plays.  He almost doubled Ferguson in career total offense...outgained Quinn Grovey by 2,000 yards...and Bill Montgomery by 3,300.  In terms of yards per play, he outgained second place Quinn Grovey by close to one full yard per play...7.35 to 6.38...and Stoerner, Ferguson, and Montgomery by a yard and a half or more per play. 

BTW, he also ranks in the top ten in SEC HISTORY in total offense...and his 7.35 yards per play for his career is SECOND in SEC history behind Heisman winner Danny Wuerrfel.

Matt is also in the top ten in SEC history in touchdowns produced with 77.  He blows away everyone in Arkansas history in that category, as Stoerner is second with 62 and Grovey is third with 50.  He out-TDed Ferguson 77 to 32.  77 to 32.

Rushing?  Matt not only is the all-time SEC leader in rushing yards for a QB, but he outgained every runner in Arkansas history by MORE THAN A FULL YARD PER CARRY.  Matt averaged 6.64 yards per carry for his career.  Ben Cowins is second all-time at 5.62.  He outgained Cedric Cobbs, Gary Anderson, and Barry Foster by between 1.4 and 1.5 yards per carry.

That's impressive, but not nearly as impressive as the fact that had Nutt managed to get Matt 18 more rushing attempts in his career, he would qualify for the all-time SEC record book for career yards per rushing attempt...

And he would sit at #1 on the list, just ahead of some guy named BO JACKSON.  There are a few other guys on that list some of you may have heard of, too...like Herschel Walker, Emmitt Smith, Shaun Alexander, Garrison Hearst, Fred Taylor...

Oh, one last thing.  Did I mention that Chris Mortensen wrote a column for ESPN in which he called Matt Jones "the best player in the entire draft" last year?  That Lou Holtz said he was the most valuable player in the SEC, and compared him to Roger Staubach?  That Nick Saban said no player in the SEC single-handedly won more game for his team than Matt Jones?  And that Ron Zook said Matt Jones was the best football player in the SEC?

Priceless.

I am as big a fan of Matt Jones as any, but I was not aware of some of those stats.  EastexHawg delivers the perfect post backed by some great summarized, well-researched information.  Thanks for your excellent defense for Arkansas' most exciting player since Alworth and most likely ever.  When you look at those numbers, it is hard to argue where Matt should rank among greats at UA. 

Should his number be retired?  Hard to say.  The only one I am aware of that should is #77 for obvious idyllic reasons and for what that foundation has done for kids. 

By the way...I have worn #9 every year since 1977...long before Matt Jones.  I still wear that number in baseball and my son now wears that number.  It has great karma...

www.oreoblue.com (My Band)
www.theuncrownedkings.com (My other band)
www.honeyjackband.com (the new band 2016)
www.nwamsbl.com (Play Baseball in NWArkansas)
www.nwasox.com (My Team)

mojobeaux

all the stats much appreciated.....  i still don't think arkansas should retire his jersey at this point.  if he has a super pro career, then i can see it.

-mojo

silvertip

August 09, 2006, 11:44:14 pm #31 Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 11:50:27 pm by silvertip

Pulled out...

Priceless.

LMAO!!  Thanks, Big Brother, EastexHawg. I knew you could beat up FBPLAYERS65.  heehee.  Yeah that darn Matt Jones was the only thing holding HDN back.

Now for my $.02. Matt Jones is the best athlete to ever come through the Hawg programs, in any sport. Period. And I doubt if we ever see any better in our lifetimes.

kratter

Very, very well said EastexHawg.

After that, this thread is pretty much over, however, I'll add this.

Arkansas has retired #77 for Burlsworth and #12 for Scott and Little.  No, MJ's # shouldn't be retired yet, if ever, but he was an incredible player.

To add to Eastex, let me throw in this tidbit: He SINGLEHANDEDLY saved HDN's job in 2001.  Want to argue?  We were coming off a 6-6 season with an embarrassment in Las Vegas.  Started 1-3 (with the 1 win being an almost equal embarrassment against UNLV in Little Rock), we had no direction, no promise, no quarterback, fans were more than rumbling, then (as the song goes) "along came Jones". 

I vividly remember a guy walking out of the 2004 Texas game saying "I'm glad this is his last year".  I also heard several people saying that they were ready for someone new and I always thought to myself "you just wait until next year".  Well, I wonder where those guys were at last year???  MJ did things for us that a hall of fame pocket passer couldn't do.  He took lousy play calls with lousy execution and made them touchdowns.  Those are just facts.  Ya, he messed up big a # of times, but you could see last year how much of our offensive success depended on him.
Aim for Greatness, you'll reach Greatness at best, Mediocrity at worst.
Aim for Mediocrity, you'll reach Mediocrity at best, Failure at worst.
-Kratter, 2004

mojobeaux

its impossible to quantify athletes precisely....especially when you include all college sports.  matt was, and is, a great athlete.....   but there are several in arkansas history that could be viewed as better.  moncrief comes to mind first for me.

if you want to say that without a doubt he was this, that , or the other....then you can use the stats at face value.  matt was the most productive offensive player in arkansas football history....as per the stats above.  no argument there.

however....  when you start claiming he was the greatest athlete, you are forgetting some amazing basketball players, track stars, etc.  not to mention that matt would fall further down the list when you start using words like "leader" and "champion".

he was fun to watch, but he was 5-6 in his senior campaign.  that stat will make it tough to justify retiring his jersey without a stellar pro career.

if i was to select a team to compete on arkansas' behalf, selecting from all former hogs, he would not be my first pick.  he would make the team, though.

-mojo

MJ2

Thank you Fusball for speaking the truth!

whitemeat

I wonder if they are going to retire my number 19 at my old h.s.
I caught a touchdown pass once. ;)
No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.

MJ2

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on August 09, 2006, 09:20:18 pm

I don't think the U of A should be the kind of place that retires numbers. Maybe save it for great players who also were also great ambassadors for the state. I do like the idea of the "temporary" retired number, a couple years, as mentioned above.

As for him being "average"...let's line up all of history's top rushing QBs from each conference. Guess what...Matt Jones is on that list. Oh, but his conference was the average SEC.
[/quote]

Not a bad idea.

MJ2

Pulled out...

Priceless.

EatexHog- you are the most intelligent poster to ever post on this website!  You Da Man!

HawgPilot

Nice work.

Pulled out...

Priceless.

Nice work EastX...

judgeroyswine

Quote from: the_birdman on August 09, 2006, 09:40:34 pm
Matt Jones was a great athlete, but how many conf. championships did he lead us to?, what place did he finish in the Heisman Trophy? and if he really is 1 of the elite of the elite QB's ever at U of A, why the heck isn't he playing that position in the pro's?

If we're in the business of asking questions... How many games did we win because of solely matt jones? What kind of talent did he have around him? and if he was that average in you opinion, why the heck IS he playing in the pro's even if it isn't QB?
Overcoming the gloom, despair, and agony of Hog fandom since 1961.

MCPeePants

August 10, 2006, 11:48:42 am #40 Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 11:51:55 am by MCPeePants
Retiring numbers in college football is pretty rare.

According to this article: http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:E-vhj_CyU6kJ:www.knoxnews.com/kns/gvx_columnists/article/0,1406,KNS_18619_4024553,00.html+retiring+numbers+college+football&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=8

there are only 18 retired football numbers throughout the entire SEC - 11 numbers retired on merit (including, I assume, Arkansas #12) and 7 numbers retired in memorium (incl...Arkansas #77). There are 5 SEC schools which have not retired any college football numbers.

Particularly when you're talking about single digit numbers - there's already not enough of them to go around. Kelly and Logan are apparently sharing #6 this season. Fish and Houston shared #2 last season. And, of course, Batman and Richard Smith both wore #8.

Wolfhound05

Quote from: FBPLAYER65 on August 09, 2006, 04:01:41 pm

He was a good runner. I just think he could have put in more effort sometimes. Fans obsess over him too much.

That is because he was and still is amazing.  Look at some of his stats.  He is in the Top Five on almost every quarterback stat at the UofA.  And here are just a few of those: 2nd most TD passes in school history,  All-Time TD leader for Arkansas with 77.  And broke the SEC Rushing Record for QB's.  So yeah he is definitely not average.

PulledPork

Quote from: judgeroyswine on August 10, 2006, 11:47:48 am
Quote from: the_birdman on August 09, 2006, 09:40:34 pm

If we're in the business of asking questions... How many games did we win because of solely matt jones? What kind of talent did he have around him? and if he was that average in you opinion, why the heck IS he playing in the pro's even if it isn't QB?

Pulled out...

Priceless.

If you are going to use stats to back up your point, I guess in another professional sport they should consider retiring Allen Iverson's number.  Heck, look at his stats!  But I wouldn't call him the best to grace a 76'ers uni or a team player.....

Pulled out....

EastexHawg

I'm not advocating that Matt's number should be retired, although I think for many of us it will be hard to swallow watching a reserve DB wearing #9 any time in the near future.  BTW, I had a similar reaction watching Ryan Sorahan wearing Bill Montgomery's #10.  Nothing wrong with it...but it just felt funny when I saw it.

The U of A isn't in the habit of retiring numbers, and that's not okay as far as I'm concerned.  But for someone to call Matt Jones "mediocre"...well, that's just crazy.

bythelake

If MJ goes on to have a stellar NFL career, then I think this topic will be revisited.  

Although MJ did great things in college, to no fault of his own, we didn't win anything special.  

I for one hope that MJ goes on to have a pro-bowl type career and we retire #9 for both his college and pro accomplishments.

Yo Huckleberry

kmoore

How absurd is this? There were a lot better players at the UofA. I think any # of a player that started on our national championship team is more deserving. Just pick any # from that team to retire first so we don't look too stupid!
GO HOGS!!!!!

GTOWNHOG

August 10, 2006, 07:58:20 pm #47 Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 09:25:20 pm by GTOWNHOG

Well, since I'm 55,  let me list a few players that were just as exciting s MJ and do not have their jerseys retired:

Jerry Eckwood
Ben Cowins
Dickie Morton
Brad Taylor
Bobby Crockett
John Brittenum
Chuck Dicus
Bill Montgomery
Lance Alworth
Jim Mooty
Harry Jones
etc.........

Matt was fun to watch.  He lost as many games as he won for us.  I think he was a great athlete, but was too laid back. Against top competition, in most instances, he did not start playing until the second half. I don't  think he was that coachable.  In the 3 1/2 years that he played QB, he absolutely never tucked the ball when he ran.  That led to fumbles at inopportune times.  (Texas and others)

He didn't make much difference in the  2002 SEC Championship game.  He rushed 9 times for 12 yards and he was 9 of 17 passing for 60 yards with 3 sacks.  I was there, and he looked like a deer in the headlights.

Also, in spite of our high opinion of Matt, he was never selected as an All-American and he was chosen as All-SEC by the coaches on  the SECOND team only one time (2004).  You would think that any jersey we retired (without special circumstances like Brandon Burlsworth) would have All-American and All-SEC status.

Now, that being said, he will probably be ALL-PRO multiple times as a receiver.  That's the position that he should have been playing at Arkansas.    I wish the young man well. I hope he make tens of millions of dollars and is an NFL Hall of Fame inductee. :)

Good luck to ALL of our Razorback teams!!

GTOWNHOG

Pulled out...

Priceless.

Before you start throwing statistics around ... remember that Matt Jones played every game for 3 1/2 years.  Brittenum, Montgomery and Ferguson were not allowed to play their freshman years.  Also, Ferguson did not play his Freshman and Sophomore years.  Montgomery started in 1970.  It's like comparing apples to oranges.

As far as rushing statistics, let's hand the ball off to Matt like it was handed  to Cowins, Cobbs,  Anderson and Foster and see how that would affect his rushing yards.  Jones got  most of those yards  on passing plays that broke down while he scrambled to get out of trouble.

Was Matt Jones a great player?  He was.  Just don't compare different eras different positions, and unlevel playing fields.
Good luck to ALL of our Razorback teams!!

Mark_Freeman

Just dont talk, that was probably the dumbest comment i've ever read on this board. Average? 2nd QB in school history in passing and 1st in rushing is average? taking a pounding and running for your life most of the time to get as far as he did is not impressive to you? i really think you deserve all the pounding you get for that crap. WOW!