Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wood Pellet Grills...

Started by Ex-Trumpet, August 14, 2018, 06:02:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ex-Trumpet

Figgered I ask the experts on here.  Don't want to spend a ton of money on a Yoder or a Memphis or whatever.

Traeger has the name, but they look no better than some of the box store versions that cost several hundred less.

What's y'all's take?  Any to avoid?
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

bythelake

Good question, would like to know also.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

August 14, 2018, 07:07:01 pm #2 Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 07:29:00 pm by DoubleReedHawgCaller
They suck ass grilling. Ok smoking. Smoked this brisket a while back on my traeger.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

majestic

Great for smoking. If you want to grill on one, you MUST be committed to flipping a steak fast. Open the lid and you lose 100 degrees immediately and it takes 5 minutes to get back to temp. 500 degrees is max temp. I have a REC-TEC and it rules for ribs, brisket, etc. I use it for everything else, too, but a $40 charcoal grill would be better for steaks and chicken.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

hog of steele

Traeger makes solid smokers. Get a Weber kettle for grilling.

Don't be fooled by cheaper ones that look the same. They aren't the same. The key with smokers is controlling air flow. That means build quality in the details is crucial. Grills made to look like nicer grills almost always suck.

je100

Quote from: hog of steele on August 14, 2018, 08:16:30 pm
Traeger makes solid smokers. Get a Weber kettle for grilling.

Don't be fooled by cheaper ones that look the same. They aren't the same. The key with smokers is controlling air flow. That means build quality in the details is crucial. Grills made to look like nicer grills almost always suck.

I've smoked some pretty good meat on my Weber kettle using the snake method.  I wouldn't do pork butt, it takes too long, but I do chicken, ribs or salmon.

Poor man's Treager.

ImHogginIt

August 15, 2018, 01:01:57 am #6 Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 08:34:34 am by ImHogginIt
Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on August 14, 2018, 06:02:55 pm
Figgered I ask the experts on here.  Don't want to spend a ton of money on a Yoder or a Memphis or whatever.

Traeger has the name, but they look no better than some of the box store versions that cost several hundred less.

What's y'all's take?  Any to avoid?

If you are not wanting to spend money on a decent pellet then the best selection for a  quality smoker is the Weber Smokey Mountain. There is a reason you see lots of teams using these at BBQ competitions all over the country. I love mine. Get the 22 inch though so you don't have to cut ribs to fit

PharmacistHog

I know several people with the pit boss. Less expensive and does a good job. Less than $500. If you decide to step up to $1000 or more go with yoder or rec-tec. Yoder is probably a little more solid but rec-tec has the bells and whistles.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Ex-Trumpet

Thanks y'all.  I have a Weber for grilling and an Acorn (poor man's Green Egg) for grilling/smoking.  The Acorn works well, but it isn't air tight and the lowest temp I can achieve is about 250.  Other than that, it works pretty well as long as you don't open the lid to baste! 

Thinking about the set it/forget it method during football season so I can watch games and not ruin a good cut of meat!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Boarcephus

I have a friend who bought a Camp Chef Pellet grill on clearance at Walmart last year for $160 and he loves it. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Boarcephus on August 15, 2018, 07:44:53 am
I have a friend who bought a Camp Chef Pellet grill on clearance at Walmart last year for $160 and he loves it. 

Anyone with any horror stories about the control modules or auger motors?  Wonder which ones are best at maintaining a temp and holding up longer than one season!

And this thread needs to be cleaned up...hate the extended margins!  Imhoggin, can you delete your link?

Razorbackers

I am getting a pellet smoker this year. I did literally hours of research about this lol

I'm going with the Camp Chef PG24 DLX Deluxe

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DVELGT6?colid=FF1VD0H449ON&coliid=I339SNOJESMHGO&ref_=hit_wr_dt_vr_md_pt

I'm gonna get the sear box later on as an attachment.

I'm not paying for a Traeger now that they've moved everything to China and the price didn't drop. I don't care if you manufacture things overseas, but the savings aren't there. Green Mountain doesn't have a pellet smoker that I can afford that is as robust as the Camp Chef. Rec Tec and Camp Chef seemed like the best 2 options. There are other, smaller brands out there though.

https://amazingribs.com/smoker/camp-chef-smokepro-dlx-pellet-smoker-review

majestic

I've had a Rec-Tec for 4 or 5 years now. I have had a few issues with it, but their customer service is top notch and they upgraded some parts for free. About the only issue I have with them now is that they won't ship pellets in quantities under 200 lbs, which requires going to meet a semi-trailer at Fiesta Square. So, I've been buying pellets from Lowe's for a much better price.

Grag T

Quote from: majestic on August 15, 2018, 09:23:29 am
I've had a Rec-Tec for 4 or 5 years now. I have had a few issues with it, but their customer service is top notch and they upgraded some parts for free. About the only issue I have with them now is that they won't ship pellets in quantities under 200 lbs, which requires going to meet a semi-trailer at Fiesta Square. So, I've been buying pellets from Lowe's for a much better price.

Win/win, you could get a deadlift workout to build up the appetite for the meal later  8)
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live;  it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.  Unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them.  Selfishness always aims at creating around it an absolute uniformity of type."  - Oscar Wilde

hog of steele

Quote from: je100 on August 14, 2018, 10:40:18 pm
I've smoked some pretty good meat on my Weber kettle using the snake method.  I wouldn't do pork butt, it takes too long, but I do chicken, ribs or salmon.

Poor man's Treager.

There are lots of hacks for smoking on a kettle. I use the weber bullet. But, that takes time and care. If you want to "set it and forget it" and have delicious smoked meat, a pellet grill can do wonders.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on August 15, 2018, 07:50:54 am
Anyone with any horror stories about the control modules or auger motors?  Wonder which ones are best at maintaining a temp and holding up longer than one season!

And this thread needs to be cleaned up...hate the extended margins!  Imhoggin, can you delete your link?
Yes third time using my traeger the temperature was all over the  place. It started smoking out the pellet box. Haven't used that POS since. Told my wife take it to the church and donate it.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

hog of steele

Quote from: DoubleReedHawgCaller on August 15, 2018, 10:49:21 am
Told my wife take it to the church and donate it.

LOL. I am sure the congregation appreciates your gift of a broken appliance. LOLOLOL

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Quote from: hog of steele on August 15, 2018, 10:54:13 am
LOL. I am sure the congregation appreciates your gift of a broken appliance. LOLOLOL
Gave them all the warranty info with it. I wasn't dealing with it.

theFlyingHog

I have an Akorn. My next smoker will be a Lang 36, no more bullspittin around

HogPharmer

Quote from: theFlyingHog on August 15, 2018, 01:44:13 pm
I have an Akorn. My next smoker will be a Lang 36, no more bullspittin around

PharmacistHog borrowed this bad boy for us to smoke about 130 lbs of pork butts for my wedding a few months back. Sucker weighs a TON! Literally! I'd love to own that thing one day.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: HogPharmer on August 15, 2018, 09:37:48 pm
PharmacistHog borrowed this bad boy for us to smoke about 130 lbs of pork butts for my wedding a few months back. Sucker weighs a TON! Literally! I'd love to own that thing one day.

Need a trailer to haul that and another trailer for the forklift that moves it

PonderinHog

Quote from: theFlyingHog on August 16, 2018, 11:50:41 pm
Plus, you can take the racks out and use it as a gun safe!

HogPharmer

Quote from: theFlyingHog on August 16, 2018, 11:50:41 pm

The guy that brought it over had to use a fork lift attachment on his tractor and it could BARELY pick it up. I think the guy that built it/owns it is putting it on a trailer.

It's awesome. That vertical box has a plate between it and the fire box that you can slide in and out so you can cut the heat off to it so you aren't having to waste heat when not using it. It also serves as a warmer at that point too.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Ex-Trumpet

Good info here, thanks!

Any input on kind/brand of pellets for best heat/smoke?

majestic

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on August 17, 2018, 03:17:36 pm
Good info here, thanks!

I really liked the Rec-Tec premium blend, but like I said, I don't like having to buy 200 lbs. at a time. The ones I've been buying at Lowes are fine, and cheap. Seems like about $14 for a 40 lb. bag. I have a big plastic tub with a lid that I keep the pellets in. You must keep them dry or you will have a disaster on your hands.

Ex-Trumpet

Ended up getting a Green Mountain Grill Daniel Boone model with stainless lid.  It was a floor model, their last one, and marked down a bit (and already assembled!).  And, they threw in a 28 pound bag of pellets!

One reason I chose this one was the dome height.  I will have no problem getting a large turkey in this.  And, it's long enough to fit a brisket in without having a lot of empty space that I would just be warming/wasting pellets. 

Add to that, it has a PID controller, which according to the sales pitch, maintains a "reasonably steady temperature."  What's reasonable for some, I guess, may or may not be reasonable for others!  We shall see, I suppose...

majestic

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on August 17, 2018, 03:17:36 pm
Good info here, thanks!

Just picked up 80 lbs at Lowe's. On sale right now for $14.96/40 lbs. Pit Boss Competition Blend.

Ex-Trumpet

Did some ribs yestiddy...they were awesome.  Easiest ribs ever.

Ex-Trumpet

And a plug for a GMG feature...the low pellet alarm.  Nice!!

PonderinHog

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on August 22, 2018, 06:21:12 pm
And a plug for a GMG feature...the low pellet alarm.  Nice!!
I  still don't think you can get a live turkey in there.  At least not without a fight.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 22, 2018, 07:24:23 pm
I  still don't think you can get a live turkey in there.  At least not without a fight.

It'll fit...just gonna be hard to keep it in there...lid has no latches.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on August 20, 2018, 03:14:14 pm
Ended up getting a Green Mountain Grill Daniel Boone model with stainless lid.  It was a floor model, their last one, and marked down a bit (and already assembled!).  And, they threw in a 28 pound bag of pellets!

One reason I chose this one was the dome height.  I will have no problem getting a large turkey in this.  And, it's long enough to fit a brisket in without having a lot of empty space that I would just be warming/wasting pellets. 

Add to that, it has a PID controller, which according to the sales pitch, maintains a "reasonably steady temperature."  What's reasonable for some, I guess, may or may not be reasonable for others!  We shall see, I suppose...

Where did you find this grill? I'm looking to buy a grill this year.

Razorbackers

I've made several lists of pellet smokers, and ranked them based off reviews and features, and this one is always a top 3. Good choice! Sounds like it worked well for ya!

Mellon Collie

just pulled the trigger on a rec-tec trailblazer.....giddy up

PharmacistHog

Looks great.  Congrats and hope you enjoy it. 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

ricepig

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on August 23, 2018, 07:40:50 am
It'll fit...just gonna be hard to keep it in there...lid has no latches.

Duh...tarp straps!

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: FineAsSwine on August 23, 2018, 08:07:56 am
Where did you find this grill? I'm looking to buy a grill this year.

Texas Star Grill Shop in Spring.

https://www.texasstarfoods.com/