Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

San Diego

Started by Junkyard Hog, January 11, 2016, 09:55:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Junkyard Hog

Headed there for family vacation this summer.  Myself, wife, 2 boys ages 6 and 3.

Planning on Zoo, Legoland, Sea World, Beach, possibly a Padre game.

Any other recommendations?

Boog41

If you are a golfer, take a short drive to La Jolla and go check out Torrey Pines north/south golf courses. Even if you can't get a tee time, go check them out. They are open to the public. The PGA will be there in a few weeks.

If your family likes Mexican food, go to the old town area and go to this place. You can thank me when you come back. www.casaguadalajara.com

If you aren't staying there, go have a meal at the Hotel Del Coronado on Coronado island. Loaded with history and right on the beach.

old hog

Just got back from a 2 week stay in La Jolla.  Very friendly people there. As friendly as people in Arkansas. Was shocked at that.  Try Bread and Cie. Bakery, wonderful stuff. Cinnamon rolls best ever. Seaworld is overrated, or so I've been told. The Zoo is one of the best in the world so go. The takeout food is nothing like here, most if it authentic and good. Only saw one sonic and one Macdonald's. We tried a place called Pic up Sticks for Chinese, was better than most restaurants. Gas is around 3$ a gal so don't be shocked. Went to an Italian restaurant on Coronado,  that had unbelievable good food and had a great view of downtown skyline. To party, go to the gaslight area of downtown, nice restaurants there and good live music.  Didn't get a chance, but they have a tour of old aircraft carrier along with some old sailing ships. Was cool. Hope this helps, post more later.
    And one word of advice, stay off the major freeways to LA in rush hour. 22 lanes of slow traffic. And go see Torrey Pines, that is a must see. And must try some authentic. Mexican food, best anywhere. Fish tacos, you will dream about.

old hog

Sorry bout the bad grammar,  sitting in Dr office.

Junkyard Hog

McKdaddy

Big fan of SD. Great climate. Friendly people. Relatively relaxed, laid-back vibe.

I played Torrey in 2007, the year before the US Open.  There was a form of a lottery system for me to play.  I don't recall how it worked but I was "chosen" well in advance of my trip.  It was a different price for me, an out-of-towner, to play vs those in its municipality.  I went to a nearby pub after my round.  A couple of gentleman seated nearby realized from my accent that I wasn't from around there and began making conversation w/ me.  When they realized I had played Torrey that day -- at my rates instead of being able to play at their rates -- they told the barkeep to put all my drinks on their tab and invited me to their table.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Boog41

Quote from: McKdaddy on January 11, 2016, 02:59:13 pm
Big fan of SD. Great climate. Friendly people. Relatively relaxed, laid-back vibe.

I played Torrey in 2007, the year before the US Open.  There was a form of a lottery system for me to play.  I don't recall how it worked but I was "chosen" well in advance of my trip.  It was a different price for me, an out-of-towner, to play vs those in its municipality.  I went to a nearby pub after my round.  A couple of gentleman seated nearby realized from my accent that I wasn't from around there and began making conversation w/ me.  When they realized I had played Torrey that day -- at my rates instead of being able to play at their rates -- they told the barkeep to put all my drinks on their tab and invited me to their table.

I wish I ran across guys like that!! But, good for you!! I played Torrey several years ago. Was one of the first off two mornings in a row, so I got to play both north and south.

DLUXHOG

- Gas Light district (just you and the wife), great place to sit out on a patio and sip on a drink and look across the bay at the Coronado Strand..
- Visit (don't stay it's $$$$) Hotel Del Coronado... it is a very historic hotel that the Hollywood crowd, (for sure Humphrey Bogart) frequented in the 30's & 40's...
- Zoo is awesome.. your kids and wife will love it..
- and finally SD has the best weather in the continental U.S., IMO...  enjoy yourselves!
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

McKdaddy

HDC is a great place to stay if your vacation budget allows for it. It meets expectations.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: McKdaddy on January 11, 2016, 05:08:50 pm
HDC is a great place to stay if your vacation budget allows for it. It meets expectations.

it surpassed my expectations.......
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

hawgone

Phil's BBQ has great ribs.

McKdaddy

Quote from: DLUXHOG on January 11, 2016, 05:14:17 pm

it surpassed my expectations.......

+1 if I could. One of my top 10 fav stays.

zane

Lived in LA for several years and when I left, I said I'd never go back to the hell hole which is California unless it was San Diego.  It is a phenomenal city with mostly phenomenal people. We would get down there for weekend trips whenever we could. If you're taking kids, Seaworld is a go. The zoo is incredible- take 2 days for it. Obviously- there are beaches everywhere. Enjoy them.

As far as dining goes- there are LOTS of great choices. The one place that my wife and I would hit every time we went was this little hole in the wall pizzeria called Bronx pizza. It is  some of the best New York style pizza that you'll ever get- even in New York!

As was stated before- the gas light district is really cool.

Also- you aren't far from Anaheim so make a trip up the 5 along the ocean and hit Disney.
RIP LSUfan

Junkyard Hog

husker71

across the border  the world famous Adelita Club    still open and 45 years ago it supplied me with a very special 10 minutes    no not a barmitzvah

zane

Quote from: husker71 on January 13, 2016, 08:12:47 pm
across the border  the world famous Adelita Club    still open and 45 years ago it supplied me with a very special 10 minutes    no not a barmitzvah

Try the Hong Kong club next time
RIP LSUfan

kodiakisland

Our son is stationed at Pendleton, so we go out every couple of months.  We rent a beach house in Carlsbad.  You can find a lot of places on the beach that are just as cheap as staying in a hotel.  We usually use VRBO to find a nice place.

I'm always impressed with the San Diego airport. It is a small airport that is easy to get in and out of with very little wait time for checkin, security, etc.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

hawgrunner

Quote from: Junkyard Hog on January 11, 2016, 09:55:05 am
Headed there for family vacation this summer.  Myself, wife, 2 boys ages 6 and 3.

Planning on Zoo, Legoland, Sea World, Beach, possibly a Padre game.

Any other recommendations?

Born and raised in NWA, came out to San Diego in 1987 with the NAVY and have been here ever since. Yes to the Zoo and Legoland but as one post noted stay away for Seaworld, I'd have to agree with the statement.
Also stay away from "crossing the border" especially with kids...your not missing anything.

A day trip up to Disneyland is also a great idea (I5 if bear for traffic but that's just life here in SoCal).

Coronado is another great area for food and views but wouldn't try to staying at Hotel del... unless you won that lotto. ;-)

Seaport Village and the Midway Museum is pretty nice as well, watching a Padres game at the downtown Petco Park if you a baseball fan will be something you'll be talking about for years with your boys.

The whole waterfront area around La Jolla Cove and La Jolla village is another full day of fun. Don't for get you head up the coast to Del Mar or Solana Beach for dinner some night and Carlsbad Village would be a great afternoon. (you could tie that in with your trip to LegoLand)

Balboa Park and Reuben H. Fleet Center are somemore nice stops.

For a fast food chain that's not in Arkansas but we like that you may try is In-N-Out Burger and Rubio's (fish taco).

Junkyard Hog

Quote from: hawgrunner on January 17, 2016, 08:44:20 pm
Born and raised in NWA, came out to San Diego in 1987 with the NAVY and have been here ever since. Yes to the Zoo and Legoland but as one post noted stay away for Seaworld, I'd have to agree with the statement.
Also stay away from "crossing the border" especially with kids...your not missing anything.

A day trip up to Disneyland is also a great idea (I5 if bear for traffic but that's just life here in SoCal).

Coronado is another great area for food and views but wouldn't try to staying at Hotel del... unless you won that lotto. ;-)

Seaport Village and the Midway Museum is pretty nice as well, watching a Padres game at the downtown Petco Park if you a baseball fan will be something you'll be talking about for years with your boys.

The whole waterfront area around La Jolla Cove and La Jolla village is another full day of fun. Don't for get you head up the coast to Del Mar or Solana Beach for dinner some night and Carlsbad Village would be a great afternoon. (you could tie that in with your trip to LegoLand)

Balboa Park and Reuben H. Fleet Center are somemore nice stops.

For a fast food chain that's not in Arkansas but we like that you may try is In-N-Out Burger and Rubio's (fish taco).

Thanks!

That all sounds good. 

We will probably skip Disneyland since we took the kids to Disneyworld in September.

go hogues

SD is the best city in America. Saving my pennies and dimes to move out there at the first opportunity.
I always stay in Encinitas. It's one of the northern suburbs and just a jewel of a place. I stay at Leucadia Beach inn. Not sure if they have rooms big enough for your family but it's a helluva rate.
In addition to what the others have said, you should check out the botanical gardens in Carlsbad, take the Petco Park stadium tour, drive out to Point Loma and go to the beach in Cardiff. If you like beer, SD is the craftbrew Capitol of America. Breweries everywhere (I really like St. Archer).

One last piece of advice without getting too political. Hopefully you'll reconsider your SeaWorld trip. It's a place that treats very intelligent animals very inhumanly.

Regardless, enjoy your trip!
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

husker71

I have always said that San Diego is by far my favorite American city.  If I was retiring in this country that is where I would go (to expensive for me)

McKdaddy

Quote from: husker71 on March 25, 2016, 05:51:41 pm
I have always said that San Diego is by far my favorite American city.  If I was retiring in this country that is where I would go (to expensive for me)

Agreed, it would be in my top 10.

old hog

Happy to say, I just retired this week and moving to San Diego next week. Driving out there with u haul in tow. Will live in La Jolla with a lady I've known for 40 yrs. Will post some great pics, if I can figure out how to do it, here. Love San Diego, is a beautiful city with a lot of neat things to do. Dreading the drive there, though.

McKdaddy

Quote from: old hog on March 31, 2016, 11:24:34 am
Happy to say, I just retired this week and moving to San Diego next week. Driving out there with u haul in tow. Will live in La Jolla with a lady I've known for 40 yrs. Will post some great pics, if I can figure out how to do it, here. Love San Diego, is a beautiful city with a lot of neat things to do. Dreading the drive there, though.

+1

hawgrunner

Quote from: old hog on March 31, 2016, 11:24:34 am

What made you want to come out here? Out side of just the neat things to do, or is that it?

old hog

Quote from: hawgrunner on April 01, 2016, 05:40:45 pm
What made you want to come out here? Out side of just the neat things to do, or is that it?
A lot went into the decision. Lived in San Diego for a few years back in the early 70's, loved it. The food, weather, the people are generally friendly, the environment, close proximity to pro teams, all positives. Really love living next to the ocean. On top of a lot of cool things going on.

hawgrunner

Quote from: old hog on April 02, 2016, 05:40:31 pm
A lot went into the decision. Lived in San Diego for a few years back in the early 70's, loved it. The food, weather, the people are generally friendly, the environment, close proximity to pro teams, all positives. Really love living next to the ocean. On top of a lot of cool things going on.

I posted above so no repeats, been here for awhile and can't wait to get back home to NWA.
Still going to be a few years due a few to extended-family items. But if you love the ocean this is the place.

But until then... during the Hog games if you hear someone calling the Hogs come for the north east part of the county that's me!! ;)

:razorback: :razorback:

MountieDawg

You have to go to LaJolla Cove and see all the Seals and Sea Lions... Its crazy and you can walk right up to them... Be careful, some are fiesty
SEC!