Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Iceland road trip around the ring road

Started by popcornhog, April 08, 2015, 06:31:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

popcornhog

My girlfriend and I just booked our flights to Reykjavik for Sept 12-21 (I've posted my tickets for the Texas Tech game in the ticket forum).

We've never been, nor do we have friends that have been. Everything that we're planning is based in Internet research.

If you've been -- is 7-8 full days enough to make it all along the ring road or should we focus on, say the northwest or south? It'll be pretty good time for seeing the northern lights, so fingers crossed there.

We are staying at the Hilton in Reykjavik the first night and road tripping the rest of the time. We will probably spend a day fly fishing, too.

Any stories, suggestions, etc would be greatly appreciated!
WPS

Sir Oinksalot

....I'm really wanting to do this trip around Iceland on motorcycles Pop.....friend knows a guy who used to live there and he said it was the absolute bomb.....wanted to do it this summer but looks like next summer for us. You go over rent the bikes and a guide goes with the group...
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

popcornhog

Quote from: Sir Oinksalot on April 19, 2015, 08:25:25 pm
....I'm really wanting to do this trip around Iceland on motorcycles Pop.....friend knows a guy who used to live there and he said it was the absolute bomb.....wanted to do it this summer but looks like next summer for us. You go over rent the bikes and a guide goes with the group...

Motorcycles?! Yeah, that would definitely have to be in the summer. Sounds crazy.

We're looking at renting a Jeep or similar 4x4 as it will be in September. Even in the summer I think you'd need four wheel drive if you were going to get off of the ring road at all.

We're probably going to go fly fishing one day and it looks like 4wd will be a must to even get to the guide.

The scenery sounds amazing. We're really liking forward to it.
WPS

Sir Oinksalot

...rather ride the bikes, BMW f-650's, beasts on or off road....you are prob. right about Sept. though, it's the best mth.

Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

popcornhog

Quote from: Sir Oinksalot on April 24, 2015, 08:39:23 pm
...rather ride the bikes, BMW f-650's, beasts on or off road....you are prob. right about Sept. though, it's the best mth.

I'll try to remember to post some pictures. Pm me if you end up doing the trip after we go. I'd be happy to answer logistical questions, etc.
WPS

cdclark09

Quote from: popcornhog on April 08, 2015, 06:31:11 pm
My girlfriend and I just booked our flights to Reykjavik for Sept 12-21 (I've posted my tickets for the Texas Tech game in the ticket forum).

We've never been, nor do we have friends that have been. Everything that we're planning is based in Internet research.

If you've been -- is 7-8 full days enough to make it all along the ring road or should we focus on, say the northwest or south? It'll be pretty good time for seeing the northern lights, so fingers crossed there.

We are staying at the Hilton in Reykjavik the first night and road tripping the rest of the time. We will probably spend a day fly fishing, too.

Any stories, suggestions, etc would be greatly appreciated!

Me and the wife made the trip to Reykjavik a couple of years ago and it was the best trip we've taken.  The most beautiful place in the world, imo.  Spent a whole week there and never ran out of things to do.  Some of the nicest people in the world.  We didn't make the trip around the whole island, all of our trips were day trips.  Also, be sure to get a hot dog at hot dog stand across from the Harpa by the marina.  You won't regret it.  Pm me and I can tell you more about our trip.

popcornhog

Quote from: cdclark09 on May 22, 2015, 11:46:17 am
Me and the wife made the trip to Reykjavik a couple of years ago and it was the best trip we've taken.  The most beautiful place in the world, imo.  Spent a whole week there and never ran out of things to do.  Some of the nicest people in the world.  We didn't make the trip around the whole island, all of our trips were day trips.  Also, be sure to get a hot dog at hot dog stand across from the Harpa by the marina.  You won't regret it.  Pm me and I can tell you more about our trip.

Will do.
WPS

popcornhog

Headed out! We're gonna roll straight to the blue lagoon upon arrival, spend a couple of days in Reykjavik and then head around the ring road.

Thank God for hogville to keep up with the hogs today.
WPS

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: popcornhog on September 12, 2015, 11:00:54 am
Headed out! We're gonna roll straight to the blue lagoon upon arrival, spend a couple of days in Reykjavik and then head around the ring road.

Thank God for hogville to keep up with the hogs today.

I have some distant relatives who live on a estate outside of Akureyri, not sure if you are headed near there.  You will find the people among the nicest in the world and very proud of their country.  And the women are absolutely stunning (I hope you are single).  They all seem to have hair from medium brown to white blonde (lots of redheads too)and blue or green eyes.  My male cousins were all 6'3+ 225lb+ and I was kind of small at 6'2, 205.  They kept calling me a runt because of my American diet, not enough fish and fresh milk as I was from the city and the middle of the US.  I told them I thought they would like catfish and offered to smoke a Hog Southern style for them.  Don't try to outdrink someone from Iceland.       

popcornhog

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on September 12, 2015, 11:37:28 am
I have some distant relatives who live on a estate outside of Akureyri, not sure if you are headed near there.  You will find the people among the nicest in the world and very proud of their country.  And the women are absolutely stunning (I hope you are single).  They all seem to have hair from medium brown to white blonde (lots of redheads too)and blue or green eyes.  My male cousins were all 6'3+ 225lb+ and I was kind of small at 6'2, 205.  They kept calling me a runt because of my American diet, not enough fish and fresh milk as I was from the city and the middle of the US.  I told them I thought they would like catfish and offered to smoke a Hog Southern style for them.  Don't try to outdrink someone from Iceland.     

We're spending a night in Akureyri actually -- that's crazy!

The trip is with the girlfriend, so not single.
WPS

bplease

Quote from: Feralhog on April 09, 2012, 07:30:33 pm
Didn't respond to the poll.  If a football coach is responsible for teaching my son morality, I'm not much of a Father.

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: popcornhog on September 12, 2015, 10:48:05 pm
We're spending a night in Akureyri actually -- that's crazy!

The trip is with the girlfriend, so not single.

Be sure to wear some Razorback gear (with a big angry Hog on it).  You will probably get stopped and asked about it...and complimented for picking a team with such a fine, noble beast as a mascot. Tell them there is a live Razorback at football games, give them a hog call, and tell them you have been in a stadium filled with 70k people calling the Hogs. It will blow their minds.  Hell, you will probably get a bar full of Vikings calling the Hogs once you teach them how to do it.  If you can take some old gear, you could start a Razorback club in Iceland...that is where we need to recruit for the offensive line. 

popcornhog

September 22, 2015, 05:50:12 pm #12 Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 06:03:52 pm by popcornhog
Just got back to the states -- I leave for two weeks and the entire football program disintegrates?!?! Damn, guys.

I did bring back some Icelandic beer. They've got a very good beer scene.

My girlfriend and I have been a lot of places -- Tokyo, Shanghai, Kuala Lumpur, all over Europe, Belize, Mexico, Canada -- Iceland is by far our favorite. If anyone is interested in making the trip, message me with any questions. The highlights of the trip are the hiking, fishing, food, and beer. If you enjoy those things, you'll enjoy Iceland. The fishing part got  a bit messed up for us due to weather, but we'll be going back and making up for it sooner than later.

For me, the South and the East were the best parts of the country. Seydisfjordur was by far my favorite town.

Here are a few pictures, as promised.

WPS

popcornhog

WPS

HogimusMaximus

Brings back some great memories of the land of my fathers.  Thanks for posting.  Did you get any pictures of the wildlife in Iceland?