Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any CSCS certified/ strength coach folks here?

Started by 10thPlanet, December 18, 2014, 07:16:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

10thPlanet

Had a coach tell me yesterday belts are on their way out for weight training. Reason being, to build core muscles. While I can see this, there's exercises to build the core. Seems to me it puts you at risk for back injuries while limiting the amount of overall weight you can lift to develop your certain muscle group. I know you need core muscles.
Thoughts?

Ragnar Hogbrok

Form.  Form.  Form.  If you're lifting so much weight you can't keep your form, you're lifting too much.  If you need a belt to support your form, you're probably lifting too much.  For me, the belt was simply a reminder to keep my back straight when doing squats/cleans.

Just advice from my experience.  I'm in no way certified or educated on a professional level.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

10thPlanet

Grag T

Also depends on what you're chasing after.  For example, a powerlifter squatting 900+ pounds is always going to be wearing a belt no matter what.  Same with deadlifts.

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live;  it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.  Unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them.  Selfishness always aims at creating around it an absolute uniformity of type."  - Oscar Wilde

10thPlanet

Quote from: Grag T on December 22, 2014, 10:30:48 am
Also depends on what you're chasing after.  For example, a powerlifter squatting 900+ pounds is always going to be wearing a belt no matter what.  Same with deadlifts.

Football offseason. Dead and squats are my concern with belt safety. Plus age, 14-16yr olds. I can see where it builds core w/o belt, but there's a bunch of lifts/exercises you can do, that targets the core. Time is the factor, that hurts off season coaches. Only so much time in a period. According to CSCS certs younger lifters shouldn't lift over their own weight, so belts may not be needed, but in HS poundage starts climbing.
I can tell you how I am leaning...Lift with the belts, and core training with our agility/plyometric days. Will have to keep the kids on the hop to get it all done.
I am open ears.

hvsupastar

Lift with belts until form is perfected on a consistent basis. While belts are needed for safety and there are core exercises, those tiny little muscles in your core don't get a lot of attention unless they are stabilizing during other lifts. I've had two different football coaches tell me core, particularly the lower back, is often so neglected it takes two years for college athletes to catch up in that regards.
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

clutch

Quote from: 10thPlanet on December 24, 2014, 09:58:34 am
Football offseason. Dead and squats are my concern with belt safety. Plus age, 14-16yr olds. I can see where it builds core w/o belt, but there's a bunch of lifts/exercises you can do, that targets the core. Time is the factor, that hurts off season coaches. Only so much time in a period. According to CSCS certs younger lifters shouldn't lift over their own weight, so belts may not be needed, but in HS poundage starts climbing.
I can tell you how I am leaning...Lift with the belts, and core training with our agility/plyometric days. Will have to keep the kids on the hop to get it all done.
I am open ears.

I'm in the same situation as you. I. Our football offseason I start everyone out with belts. It does limit some of the core stability muscle building, but I'd rather find other ways to strengthen the core than to hurt a kids back. The problem I run into is that there's just so many kids and not enough me, so the belts act as a safety precaution since I can't have my eyes on each individual's form each rep. I don't trust their lifting partners enought, or expect them to know enough, to correct them when they are getting sloppy.

10thPlanet

Quote from: hvsupastar on December 24, 2014, 10:24:41 am
Lift with belts until form is perfected on a consistent basis. While belts are needed for safety and there are core exercises, those tiny little muscles in your core don't get a lot of attention unless they are stabilizing during other lifts. I've had two different football coaches tell me core, particularly the lower back, is often so neglected it takes two years for college athletes to catch up in that regards.
Thanks....agree with the neglected core..

10thPlanet

Quote from: clutch on December 24, 2014, 01:51:08 pm
I'm in the same situation as you. I. Our football offseason I start everyone out with belts. It does limit some of the core stability muscle building, but I'd rather find other ways to strengthen the core than to hurt a kids back. The problem I run into is that there's just so many kids and not enough me, so the belts act as a safety precaution since I can't have my eyes on each individual's form each rep. I don't trust their lifting partners enought, or expect them to know enough, to correct them when they are getting sloppy.
Exactly, not enough coaches lot's of kids. Like you said Jr High spotters tend to get distracted. Thanks for the response, and get them stronger!

clutch

Quote from: 10thPlanet on January 09, 2015, 08:35:47 pm
Exactly, not enough coaches lot's of kids. Like you said Jr High spotters tend to get distracted. Thanks for the response, and get them stronger!

It's like a circus during jr high lifting sessions. Stresses me out.