Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Diet

Started by RazorPiggie, December 31, 2013, 09:16:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorPiggie

I need some good Diet plans/meals that I can start for the new year. I need to start eating better. So if anyone has a good website or any advice that gives different recipes for each meal that actually taste good let me know. Thanks.

RazrRila99

Look up It Starts With Food.  Its primarily the paleo diet only stricter for the first 30 days.  Its an easy read. They dont set plans etc, but instead tell you what kinds of food to eat and stay away from.  Theres lots of things out there on the net, just have to pick a direction and go for it. 

Im starting the "Whole 30" on January 6th (thats the strict Paleo talked about in It Starts With Food). 

LL COOL HOG

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbmainnut/food-recipes.html

Recipes for healthy "no fun" foods. My diet is horrible and I love sweets and potato chips. But I'm trying to eat clean now. I just had two eggs and two slices of turkey bacon for breakfast (Great Value Turkey Bacon actually taste better than  name brand stuff).

No sodas. Only water, coffee, tea and Gatorade after workouts.
No white foods i.e, potatoes,  White bread, white rice.

Increase lean meats. Chicken, roast beef, fish

Increase in good carbs for energy. Whole wheat breads, sweet potatoes, brown rice. I can't do energy drinks or pre workout supplements so this is real hard for me. I'm not sure how much to eat to give me the right amount of energy. I can only drink one or two cups of Folgers  classic roast for a energy boost.

I also really like a good protein shake.

I will give myself one cheat day a week and eat what the heck I want! I just saw a Papa Johns commercial for a 30 cent pizza!

Hogfaniam

Quote from: bigrod155 on January 01, 2014, 08:08:08 am
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbmainnut/food-recipes.html

Recipes for healthy "no fun" foods. My diet is horrible and I love sweets and potato chips. But I'm trying to eat clean now. I just had two eggs and two slices of turkey bacon for breakfast (Great Value Turkey Bacon actually taste better than  name brand stuff).

No sodas. Only water, coffee, tea and Gatorade after workouts.
No white foods i.e, potatoes,  White bread, white rice.

Increase lean meats. Chicken, roast beef, fish

Increase in good carbs for energy. Whole wheat breads, sweet potatoes, brown rice. I can't do energy drinks or pre workout supplements so this is real hard for me. I'm not sure how much to eat to give me the right amount of energy. I can only drink one or two cups of Folgers  classic roast for a energy boost.

I also really like a good protein shake.

I will give myself one cheat day a week and eat what the heck I want! I just saw a Papa Johns commercial for a 30 cent pizza!

Pizza is great, just don't eat the crust or at least make it a super thin crust.  We make homemade pizza using tortillas.  Crisp them first then add sauce and ingredients, cook briefly, slice. 
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

LL COOL HOG

Quote from: Hogfaniam on January 01, 2014, 08:20:56 am
Pizza is great, just don't eat the crust or at least make it a super thin crust.  We make homemade pizza using tortillas.  Crisp them first then add sauce and ingredients, cook briefly, slice. 

I have tried that before and was surprised at how well it came out. I'm doing the Bizzy workout plan FYI minus all the supplements. Just the protein shake, multivitamin  and a BCAA

Flying Razorback

I have a mix going on that is working great for me.  I had cut down pretty far on red meat a couple years ago and really only had any once every couple weeks or so.  I was consuming a lot of turkey and chicken in its place.

My cholesterol and blood pressure were still high so I finally decided I needed to do something about it.  I also was having GI issues whenever I would eat bad food or real high fat food.  So I've gone to a "Vegetarian Before 6 PM" diet mixed with the Mediterranean Diet.

I feel great.  The increase in whole grains, vegetables, and fruits really does wonders for you.  I had always preferred Mediterranean food anyway and used to cook in Italian restaurants so it's been a good addition.  There are tons of vegetarian meals like Falafel and such that offer great nutrition without any meat.

If you can cut meat and its included fats you'll make a big leap forward.  The meat I have after 6 PM is lean, white meat like Chicken and Turkey mainly with the occasional lamb or others.  However, I often go several days in a row without eating meat at all.

So far today I had Steel Cut Oats with almonds and blueberries for breakfast, a banana, ratatouille over quinoa for lunch, and I have chicken marinated in olive oil and lemon juice ready for the grill for dinner.  With that I've cooked black eyed peas for the New Year and am going to have mashed cauliflower.  I snack on salads, fruits, and vegetables like baby carrots.  I've cut most of my liquid consumption to water.

I'm hoping to keep this up and get good news when my cholesterol and vitals are taken in June.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

pigtrino

4% of white men in the US were obese in 1892.  Eat what they ate.  Basically, eat real food.  No society has more than a trivial amount of premature cardiovascular disease or diabetes without an industrial diet.

clutch

Quote from: pigtrino on January 01, 2014, 09:20:41 pm
4% of white men in the US were obese in 1892.  Eat what they ate.  Basically, eat real food.  No society has more than a trivial amount of premature cardiovascular disease or diabetes without an industrial diet.

You know what I think one of the biggest factors in the increased obesity rate has been? The size of plates has practically doubled. Seriously. People used to fill up a plate of food and eat an appropriate serving size. Now, we fill up a plate almost twice as big, usually more than once, and therefore the world gets fatter.

I've actually seen studies that back this up.

pigtrino

Quote from: clutch on January 01, 2014, 09:44:02 pm
You know what I think one of the biggest factors in the increased obesity rate has been? The size of plates has practically doubled. Seriously. People used to fill up a plate of food and eat an appropriate serving size. Now, we fill up a plate almost twice as big, usually more than once, and therefore the world gets fatter.

I've actually seen studies that back this up.

It is a complicated issue.  If you look at the data, there has been a gradual climb since about 1900.  Rates take off at about 1980.  Did we all get gluttonous and lazy all at once?  My bias is that replacing the fat in food with sugar (Snackwells for example) has played a large role.  Many argue that high glycemic index carbs fuel appetite.  Look at some of David Ludwig's work with functional MRI.  Numerous studies show that high fat diets lead to more weight loss than low fat diets (which are necessarily higher in carbohydrate).  Christopher Gardner at Stanford did a big trial which mostly showed this too.  It is clearly multiple things but the timing of the low fat craze sure does fit well.

TX HOG

a simple burn more than you intake works, right??

hvsupastar

Quote from: TX HOG on January 03, 2014, 01:00:32 pm
a simple burn more than you intake works, right??

Yes and 3/1 low carb/normal will speed up the process.

A good rule of thumb is that if the food doesn't grow or eat something that grows, don't eat it.
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

RazorPiggie

Thanks guys. Been trying to eat a little better. Still cheating though. At least I  have started eating oatmeal for breakfast and drinking more water. I'll slowly work into it. I'll be happy once it is warm again and when DST hits again so i can get back to running.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: hvsupastar on January 03, 2014, 01:02:06 pm
Yes and 3/1 low carb/normal will speed up the process.

A good rule of thumb is that if the food doesn't grow or eat something that grows, don't eat it.

Good rule. Problem is I like diary too much. Sour Cream, Cheese, Milk etc. Sucks.

kibster

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on January 03, 2014, 02:23:26 pm
Good rule. Problem is I like diary too much. Sour Cream, Cheese, Milk etc. Sucks.

My wife and I started a modified paleo diet in June and have had success.  I am down from 198 to 162 and my wife is down 20. 

We cut out potatoes, rice, bread, fried foods, and refined sugar.  We still eat a little cheese, but only a little.  We also have one cheat meal a week and one cheat dessert, but never on the same day.  The problem is that I am so accustomed to eating a healthy diet, that when I do cheat, I feel like total crap.

It took a while to get used to, especially for my wife since she lived off of PBJ and we cut all of that out, but now we are going strong and really love the results.  In addition, I love to cook and have really enjoyed adapting my old recipes to meet the diet requirements.
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

RazorPiggie

Quote from: kibster on January 05, 2014, 12:04:15 pm
My wife and I started a modified paleo diet in June and have had success.  I am down from 198 to 162 and my wife is down 20. 

We cut out potatoes, rice, bread, fried foods, and refined sugar.  We still eat a little cheese, but only a little.  We also have one cheat meal a week and one cheat dessert, but never on the same day.  The problem is that I am so accustomed to eating a healthy diet, that when I do cheat, I feel like total crap.

It took a while to get used to, especially for my wife since she lived off of PBJ and we cut all of that out, but now we are going strong and really love the results.  In addition, I love to cook and have really enjoyed adapting my old recipes to meet the diet requirements.

Do ya'll exercise any?

kibster

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on January 06, 2014, 08:06:44 am
Do ya'll exercise any?

In that time period, not much.  My wife and I both had crazy schedules during the time, so we just stuck to the diet.   She could only make the gym about once a week.  I had two injuries that kept me out of the gym more time than not, but when I was able to make it, it was only 2-3 times a week.

Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

RazorPiggie

Quote from: kibster on January 06, 2014, 08:57:19 am
In that time period, not much.  My wife and I both had crazy schedules during the time, so we just stuck to the diet.   She could only make the gym about once a week.  I had two injuries that kept me out of the gym more time than not, but when I was able to make it, it was only 2-3 times a week.

Ok, Thanks for the info.

Huckleberry Pig

i'm impressed, keep up the good work

gijoejd

http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/best-foods

NO whites...lots of proteins.  6 meals a day...try and keep snacks 250-300 calories.  I actually learned the difference in multi-grain and whole wheat recently.  I used to have a not so great diet. 

I'm currently in the gym 6 days a week, but I am also deployed.  My wife and I will be working out together and changing our family diet once I return.  She has already started at home as well.  I have been eating extremely clean for the past few months (no whites/lots of protein) and I have seen great gains in the gym and just generally feel better.  I am 30 years old, 5'10" and about 180 lbs. 

A good swap for PBJ is PB with banana slices on whole wheat.  I love PB but have had to really keep it in moderation.  I try to stick by this food pyramid:
http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/foods-muscles

BENTON PIGGEE

I drive a lot during work and was gaining weight by eating fast food and being too lazy to prepare healthy food to take with me each day.

I have developed a food that with a multivitamin a day and water provides 100% of required nutrition. It tastes good enough to eat if you are hungry, but not good enough if you aren't hungry, so I never overeat it. A full day's ration has about 1600 calories and keeps me full all day. I have lost over 25 lbs and have gotten off a bp med and cholesterol med.  It is high in fiber and has little to no saturated fat.

It doesn't need refrigeration so I just take it with me in my car each day. I can make a week's worth in about 1 hour.

Anybody here know how I might go about marketing this to a company that could produce and sell it?

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: pigtrino on January 01, 2014, 09:20:41 pm

Can't discount the activity level of average men back then as well.

People weren't sitting around all day in cubicles then coming home and sitting in front of the TV.

While diet is extremely important so is being active in order to stay healthy, strong, and feeling good.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!