Started by Biggus Piggus, March 16, 2009, 07:42:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

I agree with a couple of quibbles

Wisconsin was 2-8 in January with losses at Iowa and Northwestern
Arizona was 1-5 in its last six games, 18-8 before that
I'd rather see some teams get in who have a prayer of surprising
Boston College probably deserved a 10 seed as much as USC did
Tennessee had the toughest nonconference schedule of any tournament team, was seeded lower than LSU, which had a nonleague schedule rated 304th
The Vols also were 12-7 in the SEC East vs. LSU's 14-4 in the weaker West
(Remember, watch those top 100 records: Tenn 11-11, LSU 11-6)

but the brackets were pretty well done.

This year, at least 18 automatic bids had to go to teams that otherwise would not have gotten into the tournament.

What happened to the mid-major at-large bids?  They went to Mississippi State, Northern Iowa, Temple and USC, four surprise conference tournament winners.

That MSU-Washington game ought to be a doozy.  The Huskies are one of the shortest teams in college hoop, and they don't score that much from outside.  MissStake's inexperience may cost them though.
[CENSORED]!

blacksuit

I almost think it would be better for the mid-majors if they abandoned automatic bids. No reason for Chattanooga and Alabama St. to be in there while Florida, St. Mary's, and a few others sit it out.

The current at large field is small enough that only good teams get in, and only one or two teams really get unjustly excluded, at most. The people who put this thing together do a good job 98% of the time, but it would just be better to have a tournament with the best 64 teams. As I pointed out in another thread, Auburn is 63rd on real time rpi. Wouldn't it be an awesome field with them as a 16 seed? Not saying it's good to be a 16 seed, just that the whole field would have to be pretty solid from top to bottom.