Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So We Are Sunshine Pumpers...

Started by Hot_Town_Hog, March 15, 2009, 12:41:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Table Rocker

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 15, 2009, 02:25:11 pm
I've answered that one, 33.

You just don't like my answer.

You really wouldn't like my answer if we were sitting down over a beverage instead of on a public mesage board.

i'm sorry but i'll remain skeptic, especially after the last search. all i heard was big name after big name "waiting in the wings" or "would take the job if offered", i'm not getting my hopes up. i don't care if its a new administration, i'm done buying into coaching rumors.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Table Rocker on March 15, 2009, 02:27:31 pm
i'm sorry but i'll remain skeptic, especially after the last search. all i heard was big name after big name "waiting in the wings" or "would take the job if offered", i'm not getting my hopes up. i don't care if its a new administration, i'm done buying into coaching rumors.

That's cool.

I've been graciously told several things in the past week.

Not one thing has proven so far to be incorrect.

Oliver

I just don't get the scare tactic of "Who would come here if Pel left or was fired?"  Like I'm supposed to quiver in my boots about losing what awesome situation we have now.  Hell, I'd take a blind shot in the dark at a coach right now to replace Pelphrey and I sure as hell would take a shot at hiring a new coach if certain people who had high up contacts spoke of us getting a better coach.

Wilson, are you saying Anderson would definately take the job? If so, how is this known when the insiders are saying Pel is safe this year? It would seem no informal inquiries have been made if there is no intent to get rid of the current coach.

Oliver

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 15, 2009, 02:32:19 pm
That's cool.

You and Porketarian need to stop stirring us up with your truths...I mean rumors.

donewithdale

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 15, 2009, 02:11:49 pm
When you have a season that's as big of a disaster as this season has been, there is very little middle of the road discussion.  It's mostly very divided opinions.

From experience of nearly a decade of fighting over a coach, I think its more each side and especially the "pro fire the coach" side doesn't want to concede anything thinking it weakens their arguement.  I don't know how anyone could have an opinion of this season other than it sucked. 

Table Rocker

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 15, 2009, 02:33:19 pm
I just don't get the scare tactic of "Who would come here if Pel left or was fired?"  Like I'm supposed to quiver in my boots about losing what awesome situation we have now.  Hell, I'd take a blind shot in the dark at a coach right now to replace Pelphrey and I sure as hell would take a shot at hiring a new coach if certain people who had high up contacts spoke of us getting a better coach.

quiver in your boots? no. just asking if you want to repeat this two year process all over again? then get the reputation as a school who is so irrational that they fire a coach after two years? if the next coach struggles more than pel in his first two years, do you can him to? you fire a coach after 2 season and you set a very dangerous precedent. like i said, you may not care about our reputation, but as a graduate of the U of A that doesn't live in arkansas i certainly do.

Table Rocker

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 15, 2009, 02:32:19 pm
That's cool.

yeah nothing against you personally at all. you very well may be jeff long himself. i just heard too much 'insider information' the last time around to get involved with it again.

WMHawgfan

I agree with you. some of us learned a lesson during the last two coaching searches. we got very lucky to get bp. it had NOTHING to do with Long's ability as an AD. There were a lot of people on here with connections very close to the program who were dead wrong on who we would hire. My opinion which is based on nothing more than common sense tells me if we fire Pel we are just going to get another unproven coach. My opinion on this has nothing to do with my approval or disapproval of Pel as a coach so the naysayers can spare me the sunshine pumper, we're poor little arkansas jibberish.

Oliver

Quote from: Table Rocker on March 15, 2009, 02:37:02 pm
quiver in your boots? no. just asking if you want to repeat this two year process all over again? then get the reputation as a school who is so irrational that they fire a coach after two years? if the next coach struggles more than pel in his first two years, do you can him to? you fire a coach after 2 season and you set a very dangerous precedent. like i said, you may not care about our reputation, but as a graduate of the U of A that doesn't live in arkansas i certainly do.

While our record this year has been far from impressive, it's just one of a few things I don't like about Pelphrey.  If you have been reading the "rumors" from mods this year that are coming to fruition along with our very unimpressive recruiting, there's plenty of reason to get rid of Pelphrey and I could care less if we have to start over again.  We're not going to get any better under Pelphrey.  And yes, if a new coach came in here and had a 2-14 record in conference play, poor recruiting, assistant coaches starting fights with players, and multiple problems off the court throughout the year then I'd fire their butts after year 2 as well.  It would be IRRATIONAL not to. 

forrest city joe

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 15, 2009, 01:26:50 pm
What difference does two years or three years make?

If an AD doesn't think a coach can get the job done, not making a change because only two years have elapsed is nothing more than following form over substance.

If all the "signs" point to Pel not being able to fix the problem, make the change...especially if you have a replacement with a proven track record who you know wants the job. 
Bingo wilson.right on the money.

Oliver

Quote from: donewithdale on March 15, 2009, 02:34:37 pm
From experience of nearly a decade of fighting over a coach, I think its more each side and especially the "pro fire the coach" side doesn't want to concede anything thinking it weakens their arguement.  I don't know how anyone could have an opinion of this season other than it sucked. 

I agree.  And nobody will believe me, but if our future recruiting looked promising and we had close to no off the court problems, I'd be fighting for Pelphrey right now. 

Table Rocker

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 15, 2009, 02:41:04 pm
While our record this year has been far from impressive, it's just one of a few things I don't like about Pelphrey.  If you have been reading the "rumors" from mods this year that are coming to fruition along with our very unimpressive recruiting, there's plenty of reason to get rid of Pelphrey and I could care less if we have to start over again.  We're not going to get any better under Pelphrey.  And yes, if a new coach came in here and had a 2-14 record in conference play, poor recruiting, assistant coaches starting fights with players, and multiple problems off the court throughout the year then I'd fire their butts after year 2 as well.  It would be IRRATIONAL not to. 

if that's irrational then why don't more teams do it? if we do it then we must be the only rational program in america right?

Oliver

Quote from: Table Rocker on March 15, 2009, 02:44:15 pm
if that's irrational then why don't more teams do it? if we do it then we must be the only rational program in america right?

I mean if you could give me examples of schools that have had the kind of failures on and off the court we've had this year that didn't fire their coach in years 2, then maybe so.  I don't follow other programs like I follow mine and even if they didn't fire their coach after year 2 in these circumstances doesn't make these kind of actions okay.  I want to hold my program to a higher standard than other programs.

Richard_white

All these fans of Razorback BB program should have Bud Walton filled up.

Table Rocker

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 15, 2009, 02:47:36 pm
I mean if you could give me examples of schools that have had the kind of failures on and off the court we've had this year that didn't fire their coach in years 2, then maybe so.  I don't follow other programs like I follow mine and even if they didn't fire their coach after year 2 in these circumstances doesn't make these kind of actions okay.  I want to hold my program to a higher standard than other programs.

i don't follow other programs that closely either, but when i hear a coach gets fired after 2 years, and there isn't a bombshell involved (i.e. sampson) you know what my first thoughts are? wow, that school is crazy. the media and public outside of our own fans don't know the 'details', nor do they care, if we fire a coach after 2 years we'll be a national punchline, worse than any record we may have.

Hot_Town_Hog

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 15, 2009, 02:41:49 pm
Bingo wilson.right on the money.

I am sure there would be a lot of different feelings if most of us knew there was a proven Coach ready to sign the contract today. However, most of us have no reason to think that is the case, thus debating the topic when we don't all have the same information is a mute point.

Oliver

Quote from: Table Rocker on March 15, 2009, 02:50:15 pm
i don't follow other programs that closely either, but when i hear a coach gets fired after 2 years, and there isn't a bombshell involved (i.e. sampson) you know what my first thoughts are? wow, that school is crazy. the media and public outside of our own fans don't know the 'details', nor do they care, if we fire a coach after 2 years we'll be a national punchline, worse than any record we may have.

I could care less how the general public views our program.  And if you are insinuating that the general public's view of our program might influence whether a coach decides to come here or not, then I don't want that coach involved in our program.  A good coach always has the mind frame that they can win anywhere.  They don't go into a job thinking, "Well, what if I fail."  The real determining factors are things like, "How much am I getting paid?", "Is there a better job offer out there for me?", and "Will my family like it there?"

Oliver

Quote from: Richard_white on March 15, 2009, 02:49:38 pm
All these fans of Razorback BB program should have Bud Walton filled up.

Please inform me of a team with a 2-14 record in conference play this year that had the kind of attendance we did this year.  Off the top of my head, the only program I could think that would maybe rival us is Indiana.  That's pretty good company to be in.

Table Rocker

Well I care about the reputation of my alma mater, if u don't feel the same that's fine.

bao187

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 15, 2009, 03:00:51 pm
I could care less how the general public views our program.  And if you are insinuating that the general public's view of our program might influence whether a coach decides to come here or not, then I don't want that coach involved in our program.  A good coach always has the mind frame that they can win anywhere.  They don't go into a job thinking, "Well, what if I fail."  The real determining factors are things like, "How much am I getting paid?", "Is there a better job offer out there for me?", and "Will my family like it there?"

it may not persuade a coach to come or not, but don't you think that future recruits will look at it and ask, will i still be playing for the same coach when i am a junior
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Oliver

March 15, 2009, 03:05:37 pm #71 Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 03:07:35 pm by Oliver Miller
Quote from: Table Rocker on March 15, 2009, 03:03:54 pm
Well I care about the reputation of my alma mater, if u don't feel the same that's fine.

I care about it's reputation as well.  Which is why I'm not putting up with the bushleague way the basketball program is currently being run.

Oliver

Quote from: bao187 on March 15, 2009, 03:04:30 pm
it may not persuade a coach to come or not, but don't you think that future recruits will look at it and ask, will i still be playing for the same coach when i am a junior

With Petrino's over-exaggerated reputation of leaving schools after 2 or 3 years that the media pasted all over him, did it really hurt him come recruiting time?  We got a pretty good haul of recruits that weren't too concerned over it.

Table Rocker

U just said u don't care what the general public thinks of us, um, that's reputation holmes. At least keep ur arguments consistent.

bao187

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 15, 2009, 03:07:04 pm
With Petrino's over-exaggerated reputation of leaving schools after 2 or 3 years that the media pasted all over him, did it really hurt him come recruiting time?  We got a pretty good haul of recruits that weren't too concerned over it.

good point
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Richard_white

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 15, 2009, 03:02:46 pm
Please inform me of a team with a 2-14 record in conference play this year that had the kind of attendance we did this year.  Off the top of my head, the only program I could think that would maybe rival us is Indiana.  That's pretty good company to be in.

Fan support has dropped off.  Just like our team has had in the last 7 years.

Table Rocker

Petrino has a track record that overrides his reputation as a job-jumper, pel doesn't have that luxury, neither will the next mid-major coach we hire.

Oliver

Quote from: Table Rocker on March 15, 2009, 03:07:24 pm
U just said u don't care what the general public thinks of us, um, that's reputation holmes. At least keep ur arguments consistent.

Doug Gottlieb stated less than 2 weeks ago that our basketball program was a "disaster."  There's one media member that is informed about what's been going on.  But ultimately an INFORMED REPUTATION from people INSIDE THE PROGRAM of what's really going on means more to me than an UNEDUCATED SPECULATORY REPUTATION that the media gives us. 

Nice try though.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 15, 2009, 03:10:03 pm
Doug Gottlieb stated less than 2 weeks ago that our basketball program was a "disaster."  There's one media member that is informed about what's been going on.  But ultimately an INFORMED REPUTATION from people INSIDE THE PROGRAM of what's really going on means more to me than an UNEDUCATED SPECULATORY REPUTATION that the media gives us. 

Nice try though.
Doug Gottlieb, was right.

Table Rocker

March 15, 2009, 03:13:32 pm #79 Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 03:15:08 pm by Table Rocker
Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 15, 2009, 03:10:03 pm

Nice try though.

funny you mention uneducated speculatory reputation, as a resident member of the hogville sewing circle you should know about speculation.

and doug gottleib and 'informed' should never be used in the same sentence.

also, i care more about what my friends, co-workers and family think of my school rather than a talking head in bristol, connecticut.

Oliver

Quote from: Table Rocker on March 15, 2009, 03:09:50 pm
Petrino has a track record that overrides his reputation as a job-jumper, pel doesn't have that luxury, neither will the next mid-major coach we hire.

Who says we hire another mid-major coach?  I know, I know, here comes your "Who would want to come here?" argument to bring this to full circle.  And nothing is going to change your mind about this.  We were "lucky" with Petrino in your eyes and I'm sure if we were to hire somebody like Mike Anderson he would be just "mediocre" or "he only came here because he got his start here."  I wish people would stop making excuses and realize that people like Petrino WANTED to coach here.  If the rumors about Anderson are true, he WANTS to coach here.  This is a great place to be and a great place to coach.  And in the last 25 years, apart from Jack Crowe, Joe Kines, and possibly Pel...EVERY coach we've had has been given at least 4 years to perform.

Table Rocker

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 15, 2009, 03:14:45 pm
Who says we hire another mid-major coach?  I know, I know, here comes your "Who would want to come here?" argument to bring this to full circle.  And nothing is going to change your mind about this.  We were "lucky" with Petrino in your eyes and I'm sure if we were to hire somebody like Mike Anderson he would be just "mediocre" or "he only came here because he got his start here."  I wish people would stop making excuses and realize that people like Petrino WANTED to coach here.  If the rumors about Anderson are true, he WANTS to coach here.  This is a great place to be and a great place to coach.  And in the last 25 years, apart from Jack Crowe, Joe Kines, and possibly Pel...EVERY coach we've had has been given at least 4 years to perform.

dude if you don't think we lucked into petrino then you don't know as much as you think you know.

Table Rocker

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 15, 2009, 03:14:45 pm

it took MA three years to get his team to the tournament, he was 6-10 with a much more experienced team in year two. if he has the same record here, do we fire him too?

Oliver

Quote from: Table Rocker on March 15, 2009, 03:15:40 pm

dude if you don't think we lucked into petrino then you don't know as much as you think you know.

We were lucky with the TIMING of him getting out of Atlanta.  We were not lucking with his INTEREST of wanting to coach here.  Sure, he'd probably would have taken the LSU, Florida, Texas, etc. jobs over us if they were available but if were just poor wittle ole' Arkansas with terrible fans like a lot of people on this board believe, why would he have WANTED to come here?

Table Rocker

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 15, 2009, 03:18:46 pm
We were lucky with the TIMING of him getting out of Atlanta.  We were not lucking with his INTEREST of wanting to coach here.  Sure, he'd probably would have taken the LSU, Florida, Texas, etc. jobs over us if they were available but if were just poor wittle ole' Arkansas with terrible fans like a lot of people on this board believe, why would he have WANTED to come here?

do you, joe and marshfield sit around discussing 'poor little arkansas'? you guys use it more than anyone else on this board combined, perhaps that's really how you all feel.

you need a new schtick, that one's played out.

Oliver

Quote from: Table Rocker on March 15, 2009, 03:17:16 pm
it took MA three years to get his team to the tournament, he was 6-10 with a much more experienced team in year two. if he has the same record here, do we fire him too?

If...

1.  His recruits constantly cause off the court problems
2.  He doesn't punish them in equivalent ways
3.  His assistant coaches are starting fisticuffs with players
4.  His recruiting classes pretty much consist of academic casualties and head cases

then absolutely you do.  Otherwise, I don't have a problem with it and I wouldn't have a problem with Pelphrey either.

Table Rocker

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 15, 2009, 03:18:46 pm

we're also lucky that big names like jim grobe and tommy bowden turned us down.

Oliver

Quote from: Table Rocker on March 15, 2009, 03:20:45 pm
do you, joe and marshfield sit around discussing 'poor little arkansas'? you guys use it more than anyone else on this board combined, perhaps that's really how you all feel.

you need a new schtick, that one's played out.

So is your "No coach would ever come here" shtick. 

Oliver

Quote from: Table Rocker on March 15, 2009, 03:21:24 pm
we're also lucky that big names like jim grobe and tommy bowden turned us down.

Jim Grobe would have been a good hire.  Talk to Porketarian about the Tommy Bowden situation. 

Table Rocker

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 15, 2009, 03:22:05 pm
So is your "No coach would ever come here" shtick. 

like i told wilson, i reserve the right to remain skeptical until someone proves me wrong. it was done in football, if the same happens in basketball then i'll admit i was wrong and be a believer.

i got my hopes up last time around only to be disappointed because i was certain a big name was coming.

fool me once......well you know the rest.

Oliver

Quote from: Table Rocker on March 15, 2009, 03:24:01 pm
like i told wilson, i reserve the right to remain skeptical until someone proves me wrong. it was done in football, if the same happens in basketball then i'll admit i was wrong and be a believer.

i got my hopes up last time around only to be disappointed because i was certain a big name was coming.

Fair enough.  Broyles and White's Dog and Pony show is enough to suck the optimism out of anybody.

Table Rocker

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 15, 2009, 03:24:26 pm
Fair enough.  Broyles and White's Dog and Pony show is enough to suck the optimism out of anybody.

wouldn't have been so bad, except it happened TWICE! altman AND pelphrey.

Hot_Town_Hog

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 15, 2009, 03:22:35 pm
Jim Grobe would have been a good hire.  Talk to Porketarian about the Tommy Bowden situation. 

Grobe WOULD have been a good hire, but he said no thanks.

Oliver

Quote from: Table Rocker on March 15, 2009, 03:26:46 pm
wouldn't have been so bad, except it happened TWICE! altman AND pelphrey.

I'm absolutely with you on that.  It was disgusting.  It might happen with Long as well, but so far I like what I've seen and I'm willing to give him the chance.

donewithdale

Quote from: Table Rocker on March 15, 2009, 03:24:01 pm

Well history is on your side.  Our football program had hired coaches from major programs and the NFL long before Petrino.  Our basketball program has gone to Creighton twice, Tulsa, Kent State and South Alabama  I know Erie likes to argue based on success but we are a football school that has good basketball tradition.  Many are directing their basketball hopes to Mike Anderson.  After that, all they can generally come up with is Jamie Dixon because of the Pitt connection.

Oliver

Quote from: Hot_Town_Hog on March 15, 2009, 03:27:24 pm
Grobe WOULD have been a good hire, but he said no thanks.

So it was harmful to fire Nutt and TRY to get Grobe because...

rzrbackrob

From what I can gather from my Hogville decoder ring, Mike Anderson would take the job if offered. Pel is liked by all the fanbase, but appears to be in over his head. Off the court issues including NCAA interest in our program, falling attendance, players character issues, suspect recruiting, and underperforming assistant coaches are undermining Pel's efforts. No one is ok with the Hogs ever having a losing record in the SEC, much less 2-14. Jeff Long is not willing to pull the trigger on Mike Anderson because he can wait another year or two before having to put his neck out on the line with a new hire. Most want to give Pel another year but are not sure he can get it done. If Pel goes less than 8-8 in the SEC next season, the fire Pel crowd will be in the majority. If Pel goes 8-8 or better, the Pel is the right man for the job crowd will be in the majority.
Good is the enemy of great

bao187

Quote from: HogKongPhooey on March 15, 2009, 02:17:53 pm
We had a hard time hiring a coach because White and Frank were still in the picture.  Please get another excuse, this one is getting very old.  There will be plenty of coaches interested in a school with our tradition and facilities.

that was the first time i have ever posted that, so  :P

bao187

my only question is why would anderson take this job? it would be a backward move wouldn't it

donewithdale

Quote from: bao187 on March 15, 2009, 03:30:27 pm
my only question is why would anderson take this job? it would be a backward move wouldn't it

Not a backward move but one with some negatives for him he would have to weigh.