Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So We Are Sunshine Pumpers...

Started by Hot_Town_Hog, March 15, 2009, 12:41:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot_Town_Hog

...if we are not screaming fire Pel now and run him the h@ll out of town.

Most of these irrational posters are probably the same ones saying sign Pel to a long-term deal after the OU game. Neither would have be a good idea in year 2.

Let me make sure I have this straight:

Posters using logic and looking at the whole picture that do not support firing Pel this year are Sunshine Pumpers? That is quite amusing, but it truly shows the mentality of a small minority.

I just pray that other Schools don't use this board against us in recruiting, and that any current players reading this board understand that 98% of the fanbase supports the team completely.

Hoggy1

Yawwwwwn.

Show me something Pel has done to indicate future improvement.

O wait...this is a Sun-Belt coaching staff with the inability to land any solid recruits.

But it's ok, we don't need anything positive...this thing will just magically turn around over night.  No sweat Hog fans....a 2-15 finish to the season is gravy...

Wait til next year...we may get 4 or 5 SEC wins!
You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

LA HAWG

No, actually you are Huggers.  Let's get the teminology straight.  ;)

Marshfieldhog

Wait until the Boo birds come out in force next year, sounds like a lot of fun. We've been down this road before( prolonging a coach that should have been shown the door). Pel is doing NOTHING to show us that we have success in our future.

Hoggy1

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on March 15, 2009, 12:49:55 pm
Pel is doing NOTHING to show us that we have success in our future.

And this right here is what it all comes down to.  +1

Hot_Town_Hog

Why don't you give me some examples of Coaches getting fired after 2 years. Even KY with all their tradition is struggling with making a move on BCG after 2 years. They are going to miss the NCAAT for the first time since 1991.

There is more to this than what any of us think about the future. Not once did I say there weren't some big questions about the program. But, you don't fire a Coach this quick. Many still question us for firing Heath and Nutt, so yea let's run out and fire Pel after 2 years. Then we can really be the laughing stock of the Nation. I still hear many of the "experts" that think Pel has lots of promise.

If next year doesn't show much improvement, then we would have a much better case to make a change.

lovetthog1

Yeah and he tops it off with an NCAA investigation. Sunshine pumpers is putting it mildly.

Hot_Town_Hog

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on March 15, 2009, 12:49:55 pm
Wait until the Boo birds come out in force next year, sounds like a lot of fun. We've been down this road before( prolonging a coach that should have been shown the door). Pel is doing NOTHING to show us that we have success in our future.

There is a slight difference in 10 years vs. 2 years.

Hot_Town_Hog

Quote from: lovetthog1 on March 15, 2009, 12:58:36 pm
Yeah and he tops it off with an NCAA investigation. Sunshine pumpers is putting it mildly.

Why are we under investigation? Read about an inquiry that may not be anything unusual. But let's go ahead and say we are under investigation, that sounds much better.

Hoggy1

An NCAA violation would be the nail in the coffin for Pel.

bao187

if we fire Pel, who will want to come here.  We had a hard enough time finding a coach last time.  If we fire Pelphrey after only two seasons, why would any one want to come here?
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

midwestcityhog

interesting.  i thought the letter was back in december, yknow, before this season started?  my mistake.  it's totally due to that ostrum and welsh fight!!!!!!!!!!

thirtythree

Quote from: Hot_Town_Hog on March 15, 2009, 12:41:43 pm
...if we are not screaming fire Pel now and run him the h@ll out of town.

Most of these irrational posters are probably the same ones saying sign Pel to a long-term deal after the OU game. Neither would have be a good idea in year 2.

Let me make sure I have this straight:

Posters using logic and looking at the whole picture that do not support firing Pel this year are Sunshine Pumpers? That is quite amusing, but it truly shows the mentality of a small minority.

I just pray that other Schools don't use this board against us in recruiting, and that any current players reading this board understand that 98% of the fanbase supports the team completely.

I agree with you. People are letting their feelings get in the way of rationale.

lovetthog1

Quote from: midwestcityhog on March 15, 2009, 01:02:44 pm
interesting.  i thought the letter was back in december, yknow, before this season started?  my mistake.  it's totally due to that ostrum and welsh fight!!!!!!!!!!

Oh I'm sorry was Pel not the coach in December ? Like playing cards with my sisters kids for christs sake.

Hoggy1

Quote from: midwestcityhog on March 15, 2009, 01:02:44 pm

And I coulda swore for the life of me basketball started in November....

you're right.  You're mistake, maybe you should check what you post.

rude1

The sunshine pumpers are the ones who continue to say, " Pel will get it done". When there is nothing that is pointing in that direction as a reason to believe that. The belief that we will get some how magically better than the other SEC teams who beat us this year without out recruiting them. That we are bad because we are young, no matter how much information that shows that other SEC teams are both younger and better.

Saying you think Pel should get another year, IMO isn't sunshine pumping. I understand why he probably should get another season, because it is only fair he be given an honest opportunity to fix his mess. With that said, JL should be getting his list of potential replacements together for a possible coaching change after next year, because all the signs point towards Pelphrey not being able to fix this program.

Hot_Town_Hog

Waiting for examples of Coaches fired after 2 years....

lovetthog1

I got news for all of you sunshine pumpers. You could give Pel 20 Mcdonalds all americans and he wouldnt sniff the final four.

Hoggy1

Quote from: Hot_Town_Hog on March 15, 2009, 01:22:08 pm

Kelvin Sampson...there

thirtythree

Quote from: GiveEmHellPel on March 15, 2009, 01:23:45 pm
Kelvin Sampson...there

Bad example. He broke the rules multiple times. Nice try though.

Hot_Town_Hog

Quote from: rude1 on March 15, 2009, 01:21:55 pm
The sunshine pumpers are the ones who continue to say, " Pel will get it done". When there is nothing that is pointing in that direction as a reason to believe that. The belief that we will get some how magically better than the other SEC teams who beat us this year without out recruiting them. That we are bad because we are young, no matter how much information that shows that other SEC teams are both younger and better.

Saying you think Pel should get another year, IMO isn't sunshine pumping. I understand why he probably should get another season, because it is only fair he be given an honest opportunity to fix his mess. With that said, JL should be getting his list of potential replacements together for a possible coaching change after next year, because all the signs point towards Pelphrey not being able to fix this program.

Agree completely with the comment in bold 100%.....

Hot_Town_Hog

Quote from: GiveEmHellPel on March 15, 2009, 01:23:45 pm
Kelvin Sampson...there

Please...The only reason he was fired was for MAJOR violations....Is that the best you can do?

WilsonHog

March 15, 2009, 01:26:50 pm #22 Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 01:30:21 pm by WilsonHog

What difference does two years or three years make?

If an AD doesn't think a coach can get the job done, not making a change because only two years have elapsed is nothing more than following form over substance.

If all the "signs" point to Pel not being able to fix the problem, make the change...especially if you have a replacement with a proven track record who you know wants the job. 

Hoggy1

Quote from: Hot_Town_Hog on March 15, 2009, 01:26:21 pm
Please...The only reason he was fired was for MAJOR violations....Is that the best you can do?

O yea, I forgot...Sampson actually won games, he just had off court issues.

Newhopehog

lovetthog1

This is the mentality that I do not understand. It's a followers mentality. It's like saying the United States should get permission from the United Nations before raising taxes. You are so worried about public perception and the opinions of others that you allow everyone to think for you. Petrino left the NFL with no regard for what everyone thought. Now he appears to be happy. The football program is heading in the right direction and things are looking up. But we had to go against public opinion. Thats leadership. Enough with the chicken little sunshine pumpers.

Razorod

Quote from: rude1 on March 15, 2009, 01:21:55 pm

very good post. sums up how i feel very well.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Table Rocker

coaches don't get fired after 2 years unless its a case like kelvin sampson's.

why? because most AD's and people in general are reasonable human beings that think rationally and allow a coach more than 2 years.

Hoggy1

Quote from: Newhopehog on March 15, 2009, 01:29:12 pm
after proven (not rumored) ncaa violations.....

the guy asked me a question, I answered.  End of story.  doesn't matter what he was fired for, fact is...he got fired.

thirtythree

Quote from: GiveEmHellPel on March 15, 2009, 01:31:28 pm
the guy asked me a question, I answered.  End of story.  doesn't matter what he was fired for, fact is...he got fired.

yeah, we know.  :puke:

WilsonHog

March 15, 2009, 01:36:59 pm #30 Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 01:42:46 pm by WilsonHog
This is going to be one of those issues where none of us are going to change each other's minds. Not going to happen.

The people who want Pel to stay and don't think he needs to be fired aren't particularly interested in hearing from or conversing with those who feel otherwise.

As a member of the opposite camp, I'm not particularly interested in hearing from or conversing with those on the other side.   

That's the way of message boards, and it has come to Jump Ball. 

Hot_Town_Hog

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 15, 2009, 01:26:50 pm
What difference does two years or three years make?

If an AD doesn't think a coach can get the job done, not making a change because only two years have elapsed is nothing more than following form over substance.

If all the "signs" point to Pel not being able to fix the problem, make the change...especially if you have a replacement with a proven track record who you know wants the job. 

The 2 vs 3 year question would be perception and might weigh on potential Coaches turning their back on us.

Your last statement is very interesting and is a completely different scenario. The only way you even think about making a change this year would be if you had a Coach that met that criteria and there was no question he was our man.

None of this Gillespie crap and then have Creighton's Coach run from the School like a scared little kid. Maybe one of the most embarrassing moments in history for the program. Get into that situation again after firing who many think is a good young Coach after 2 years and we are toast.

If your last statement is true, then Long needs to think seriously about that option. That is a different story than just firing and then trying to convince someone to come here.

Hot_Town_Hog

Quote from: GiveEmHellPel on March 15, 2009, 01:31:28 pm

That is clearly a well thought out response.....Sampson would not have been fired barring massive recruiting violations, and as a repeat offender on top of that.....

Table Rocker

March 15, 2009, 01:51:23 pm #33 Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 01:53:32 pm by Table Rocker
Quote from: Hot_Town_Hog on March 15, 2009, 01:44:26 pm
None of this Gillespie crap and then have Creighton's Coach run from the School like a scared little kid. Maybe one of the most embarrassing moments in history for the program. Get into that situation again after firing who many think is a good young Coach after 2 years and we are toast.

this is the main reason i think he should be given at least 3 years. i'm sick and tired of being a punchline (and spare me the 2-14 BS, not many outside of this state could tell ya what that record is, even so, they know we are a young team and were picked last in the west preseason) stemming from the nolan divorce to the altman fiasco. the national media sees us as a team that lost most of our stats from last years second round NCAA team and have one of the youngest teams in the country. if we fired a coach after a tough year with such a young team we will be crucified in the national media. you might not care about our reputation, but i do. pel may or may not be the right man for the job, but he's here so i feel he should  get 3-4 years to show what he's got. there is a reason coaches aren't fired after two years, if we do it, then we deserve every negative piece of press that will come along with it.

oh and if you think that media criticism won't hurt our chances of landing a big name coach then you need to pull your head out of the sand.

The Hogville Nutt experience has begun again. Each side has a name for the other group, every thread devolves into the same argument, and neither group are willing to admit the other might be partially correct.

Table Rocker

Quote from: Karma on March 15, 2009, 01:56:35 pm
The Hogville Nutt experience has begun again. Each side has a name for the other group, every thread devolves into the same argument, and neither group are willing to admit the other might be partially correct.

only nutt took 6-7 years to divide us, pel only 2.

thirtythree

Quote from: Karma on March 15, 2009, 01:56:35 pm

I'm going to agree with you partially.

I do think the "supporters" do agree that it is unacceptable to have this kind of season. I also believe they say there needs to be improvement next year. Then there are the legitimate circumstances that led to why this season did happen and was "nationally" expected.

on the other hand

The "non-supporters" only care that there was a bad season. they don't care why, they just care what. Then they fling rumors about 'fights" and "violations" with no factual basis. If there were facts provided I bet there would be some middle ground. That's not the case though.

We are in a tough scene right now. We have fired 2 coaches in the last several years when they were producing. Now we have a coach that has just gone through just about as much of a turnover than any coach should and not give him time to build a bench. that would be an even bigger mistake than firing 2 productive (on field/court) coaches. We were the laughing stock of the country when we did that. What do you think it would be like if we canned him after what he has had to go through?

I was in Kentucky for a funeral when HDN was fired. I witnessed people laughing at the screen and saying they don't have a clue what they want down there. That is the perception outside of this state on how we handle things here.

donewithdale

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 15, 2009, 01:36:59 pm
This is going to be one of those issues where none of us are going to change each other's minds. Not going to happen.

The people who want Pel to stay and don't think he needs to be fired aren't particularly interested in hearing from or conversing with those who feel otherwise.

As a member of the opposite camp, I'm not particularly interested in hearing from or conversing with those on the other side.   

That's the way of message boards, and it has come to Jump Ball.

Too bad we can't have more down the middle discussions with both sides conceding good points.

mhuff

Schizophrenic--- smiling one minute and crying the next. Perhaps it has to do with the misery index. There are just a lot of people who need to vent because their 401k's are down. That's understandable. Hey I am disappointed, but it is going to take a heck of a lot more than this to steal my joy. Plus fair is fair. As some posters have stated, " If Pel is only given two years, our credibility will be ruined."

Oliver

Quote from: donewithdale on March 15, 2009, 02:08:58 pm
Too bad we can't have more down the middle discussions with both sides conceding good points.

When you have a season that's as big of a disaster as this season has been, there is very little middle of the road discussion.  It's mostly very divided opinions.

PennaHog

Quote from: Hot_Town_Hog on March 15, 2009, 01:01:12 pm
Why are we under investigation? Read about an inquiry that may not be anything unusual. But let's go ahead and say we are under investigation, that sounds much better.

When has the NCAA formally sanctioned an external investigation against the University of Arkansas Mens Basketball Programme?

Is this news to anybody else but me ???

Or maybe this is more of the many falseties and rumors floating around the University on this message board.  Of course it is started by a poster who has a sister that is having relations with some guy that overheard at Wal-Mart while waiting in the checkout line a customer who was waiting to buy smokes and also close to a member of the board of directors tell the 17 year old checkout teller that he heard the University is having some problems with the NCAA.

Hmmmmm..... you decide.   :-\

WPS GHG
:razorback:
This comment is the absolute dumbest thing ever said on this board:

Quote from: Porkem Yung on December 05, 2010, 01:03:52 am
I thought you were a military man? 
You would think, serving our great country, would have taught you some respect for authority.
Lando is a moderator.  Respect his authority.

WilsonHog

Quote from: donewithdale on March 15, 2009, 02:08:58 pm

I thought a day or so maybe we could. We had some nice threads going.

No more. People on both sides won't act accordingly.

My position is to give Pel one more year. Most on here who want him fired aren't judging him on two years, but on 17 games. Who on here would have said fire Pel after the Texas game? No one. In fact, most wanted to "wrap him up" with a long term contract. So its 17 games that changed people's opinions. Maybe they are right, I'm not convinced he's the right guy,but that is a short time to make this decision.

HogKongPhooey

Quote from: bao187 on March 15, 2009, 01:01:51 pm
if we fire Pel, who will want to come here.  We had a hard enough time finding a coach last time.  If we fire Pelphrey after only two seasons, why would any one want to come here?
We had a hard time hiring a coach because White and Frank were still in the picture.  Please get another excuse, this one is getting very old.  There will be plenty of coaches interested in a school with our tradition and facilities.

Table Rocker

Quote from: HogKongPhooey on March 15, 2009, 02:17:53 pm
We had a hard time hiring a coach because White and Frank were still in the picture.  Please get another excuse, this one is getting very old.  There will be plenty of coaches interested in a school with our tradition and facilities.

like who?

I think we could hire a good coach, but the ______ will definately come threads don't mean much. We heard the same thing about Gillispie last year.

Table Rocker

Quote from: Karma on March 15, 2009, 02:20:49 pm
I think we could hire a good coach, but the ______ will definately come threads don't mean much. We heard the same thing about Gillispie last year.

we'll hire another mid-major coach, then this cycle starts all over again.

thirtythree

WilsonHog

March 15, 2009, 02:25:11 pm #48 Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 02:27:27 pm by WilsonHog
Quote from: thirtythree on March 15, 2009, 02:23:27 pm
they don't want to answer that one.

I've answered that one, 33.

You just don't like my answer.

You really wouldn't like my answer if we were sitting down over a beverage instead of on a public message board.

But it's all cool. I'll live with the info I've been given and y'all can keep supporting the current coach "just because he's the coach." 

Table Rocker

Quote from: thirtythree on March 15, 2009, 02:23:27 pm
they don't want to answer that one.

i know, just trying again.

JL got lucky with BP, maybe he'll get lucky again. first though we'll have to make sure the jim grobe's and tommy bowden's we offer turn us down.