Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Per Wally, SEC is "Young" from Top to Bottom

Started by WilsonHog, March 15, 2009, 08:26:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

"All season Razorbacks fans have consoled themselves with the fact that they were enduring a growing year with such a young team, but the cold, hard truth is most of the league is young.

The Razorbacks finished with seven freshmen and sophomores (including walk-ons, etc.), but Tennessee also had seven.

Ole Miss, which should have been devastated by injuries, has eight, and Florida and Kentucky have nine apiece.

Georgia has 10 underclassmen and Mississippi State 11. Vanderbilt is totally rebuilding with 12 freshmen and sophomores on its roster.

Alabama had the fewest underclassmen with four, while LSU and Auburn were only one ahead with five, and the experience on those two teams became obvious as the regular season hit the final furlong.

The Volunteers, with sophomores and juniors making up more than half their team, and Mississippi State are the shining lights for the SEC right now and by making the SEC Tournament championship game should be in the NCAA Tournament."

http://www.wholehogsports.com/adg/254983

Razorod

March 15, 2009, 08:27:22 am #1 Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 08:30:24 am by Razorod
sounds like wally is taking away an excuse from pel's terrible season. we weren't any younger than anybody else.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

rude1

That article should shine some light on the sunshine pumpers notion of we are so bad because we are young. But probably not, they will read that and try to spin it into something else.

want2be

Wally may want to consider writing an article on recruiting/talent in the SEC vs. ACC, Big East, etc.......That is probably as much or more of a factor than youth.

Hoggy1

O no, the truth!

What will the pumpers do now?!?!?!

The truth isn't allowed in the life of a sunshine pumper....
You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

forrest city joe

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 15, 2009, 08:26:01 am
"All season Razorbacks fans have consoled themselves with the fact that they were enduring a growing year with such a young team, but the cold, hard truth is most of the league is young.

The Razorbacks finished with seven freshmen and sophomores (including walk-ons, etc.), but Tennessee also had seven.

Ole Miss, which should have been devastated by injuries, has eight, and Florida and Kentucky have nine apiece.

Georgia has 10 underclassmen and Mississippi State 11. Vanderbilt is totally rebuilding with 12 freshmen and sophomores on its roster.

Alabama had the fewest underclassmen with four, while LSU and Auburn were only one ahead with five, and the experience on those two teams became obvious as the regular season hit the final furlong.

The Volunteers, with sophomores and juniors making up more than half their team, and Mississippi State are the shining lights for the SEC right now and by making the SEC Tournament championship game should be in the NCAA Tournament."

Just like i thought. there goes the we are young excuse. i said it was nothing but an excuse from the start.

Oliver

Quote from: GiveEmHellPel on March 15, 2009, 12:20:00 pm
O no, the truth!

What will the pumpers do now?!?!?!

The truth isn't allowed in the life of a sunshine pumper....

You'll get the tired "depth" excuse.  You know something that could have been avoided if Pel would have put us in position to not have to play 8 players all year long due to his overall poor recruiting and his recruitment of academic casualties and headcases.

Oliver

Quote from: midwestcityhog on March 15, 2009, 12:33:24 pm
Dang Pel for recruiting Wal-Mart theives, because RIVALS and SCOUT usually have that kind of information in bold

You really want to make such an uneducated statement about Pel and company's knowledge of Jason Henry's off the court issues?  Go right ahead.

Cyrus McGowan left because of Ostromy Bag.  Nice try though.

Hoggy1

March 15, 2009, 12:39:42 pm #8 Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 12:41:20 pm by GiveEmHellPel
Quote from: midwestcityhog on March 15, 2009, 12:33:24 pm
Dang Pel for causing Patrick Beverley to cheat on that test and get money from an agent!

Dang Pel for causing Cyrus McGowan to decide on his own to bail on his team!

Dang Pel for personally faxing the NCAA Marcus Monk's financial position!

Dang Pel for recruiting Wal-Mart theives, because RIVALS and SCOUT usually have that kind of information in bold

Pel knows a kid's character after recruiting them for months on end.

Don't try to say he didn't know what kind of person Henry, Fortson and McDonald are/were.  He knew exactly what kind of character he was bringing into this program.

Absolute horse crap to say otherwise.

I don't bash another for having a different opinion, but some of the excuses I see on here makes me wanna puke and laugh at the same time.  So uneducated, yet so bold.

forrest city joe

Quote from: midwestcityhog on March 15, 2009, 12:31:04 pm
its not an excuse.  our freshman are PLAYING. what other teams have their entire starting Point Guard, Shooting Guard, Small Forward (when he's not suspended lol), and Power Forward as FRESHMEN, not "underclassmen", but STARTING FOUR FRESHMEN.

our ENTIRE team is "underclassmen" as in not seniors.

We start: Fresh, Fresh, Fresh, Fresh, Junior.
We sub: Junior, Fresh, Fresh, Soph

that's not the same as "tennessee has half their team as jr or sophomores"

but oh well, facts dont mesh well with agendas.....................................
Excuses until the last dog dies.ole miss lost 4 starters and still beat us 2 times and won 7 sec games.they had no depth either.stop the excuses. we dont have the players or the coaching.

Hoggy1

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 15, 2009, 12:39:52 pm
Excuses until the last dog dies.ole miss lost 4 starters and still beat us 2 times and won 7 sec games.they had no depth either.stop the excuses. we dont have the players or the coaching.

Joe give up.  Anything that involves the truth goes in 1 sunshine pumping ear and out of the other.  Pumpers don't like cold hard facts, they like fantasy land and the "wait til next year" excuse.

Well fellow Hog fans, I'm about damn tired of waiting until next year.

rzrbackrob

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 15, 2009, 08:26:01 am

Youth is a major reason the Hogs fell apart in the second half of the season. Not all youth is created equal. Hogs two Jr.'s were very inexperienced and not 3 year starters. Arkansas's Soph was extremely inexperienced. The rest of the team were freshmen. Now if you want to argue that Andy @ Old Piss is a better coach than Pel you may have a good argument, but to say that the rest of the SEC is as young as the Hogs is just not true. Youth is not the only reason that the Hogs imploded, but it exasperated all the other problems.
Good is the enemy of great

Hog Milanese

Someone finally said it... in public writing!

forrest city joe

Quote from: Hog Milanese on March 15, 2009, 02:48:55 pm
Someone finally said it... in public writing!
Yep! i said it weeks ago. now the excuse is we had no depth.when its pointed out neither did Ole miss, or UGA  last year in the Sec tourney.and they still found a way to win more than 2 games in the sec.PEl did a pitiful job.PERIOD!

donewithdale

I don't guess someone from either side wants to look at minutes played by Fr and So for the Hogs and compare that to the rest of the SEC especially if you are from the 'Fire Pel' group.  You never know, it may help your cause. 

donewithdale

March 15, 2009, 04:07:25 pm #15 Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 04:09:04 pm by donewithdale
Well I guess I'll help some of you since you and Wally aren't capable of telling the entire story.

Hogs mpg:
Wash 30
Fort 32.8
Clarke 31.5
Welsh 29.5
Henry 18.4
Sanchez 23.3
Britt 18.9

That is 4 Fr 1 So and 2 Jrs. with 3 Fr in our top 5 mpg.

Tennessee had 8 players avg double digit mpg.  Out of the top 5, 4 are Jr's and 1 was a Fr - Hopson.  Out of the 8, 5 are Jr's, 2 So and 1 Fr.    They have outrecruited us too when you are doing your analysis of this.

Florida had 8 players avg double digit minutes.  Out of the top 6, 1 Sr, 1 Jr, 3 So and 1 Fr.  Two more Fr avg 12 mpg.   Florida has outrecruited us and most of the SEC for awhile.

Vanderbilt's top 5 mpg - 2 Jr's, 1 So and 2 Fr

Ole Miss top 5 mpg - 1 Jr, 2 So, 2 Fr, next 3 reserves 1 Jr and 2 Fr

Anyone want to continue this exercise to find a team playing more freshmen more minutes than what we did this season?  Depleted OM didn't do it.

want2be

Quote from: donewithdale on March 15, 2009, 04:07:25 pm
Well I guess I'll help some of you since you and Wally aren't capable of telling the entire story.

Hogs mpg:
Wash 30
Fort 32.8
Clarke 31.5
Welsh 29.5
Henry 18.4
Sanchez 23.3
Britt 18.9

That is 4 Fr 1 So and 2 Jrs. with 3 Fr in our top 5 mpg.

Tennessee had 8 players avg double digit mpg.  Out of the top 5, 4 are Jr's and 1 was a Fr - Hopson.  Out of the 8, 5 are Jr's, 2 So and 1 Fr.    They have outrecruited us too when you are doing your analysis of this.

Florida had 8 players avg double digit minutes.  Out of the top 6, 1 Sr, 1 Jr, 3 So and 1 Fr.  Two more Fr avg 12 mpg.   Florida has outrecruited us and most of the SEC for awhile.

Vanderbilt's top 5 mpg - 2 Jr's, 1 So and 2 Fr

Ole Miss top 5 mpg - 1 Jr, 2 So, 2 Fr, next 3 reserves 1 Jr and 2 Fr

Anyone want to continue this exercise to find a team playing more freshmen more minutes than what we did this season?  Depleted OM didn't do it.

I am more concerned about the recruiting than the youth. Not just getting player with more stars but also getting players who fit the system. Did Pel really think that recruiting 2 short guards last to go along with the other short guards was going to be a formula for success ?

I am not saying he can't get it done and I am not saying he has to go out and get one and done players, but he needs to get talent and size in the proper positions to be competitive.

And I am not even going to mention off court issues as all teams have to deal with that.

donewithdale

Quote from: want2be on March 15, 2009, 04:19:40 pm

I am more concerned about the recruiting than the youth. Not just getting player with more stars but also getting players who fit the system. Did Pel really think that recruiting 2 short guards last to go along with the other short guards was going to be a formula for success ?

I am not saying he can't get it done and I am not saying he has to go out and get one and done players, but he needs to get talent and size in the proper positions to be competitive.

And I am not even going to mention off court issues as all teams have to deal with that.

Yep.  It just depends on how talented the Fr are and how they fit what you need.  They didn't fill all of our shortcomings this season and they played most of the minutes.

FayettevilleHog

The key thing in positive results with Freshman is leadership from upperclassman. If we had one strong positive personality to provide leadership and keep the Freshman in line things would have been vastly different. As good a player as Washington is, he doesn't seem to be that strong leader type and Stefan, well ....