Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should Pel beware the Ides of March?

Started by Overtheroadtruckdriver, March 14, 2009, 11:06:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Overtheroadtruckdriver

I heard from a semi-reliable source that if anything happens it will happen quickly, before the tournament starts. I personally don't think anything will happen but they say if it does, it's going to be fast.

Buff

Overtheroadtruckdriver

I'm not saying it's going to happen, I just heard from someone close to the athletic department that it is not as far fetched of a notion as some might think and that while it is unlikely to happen, if and when it does it will be very sudden and soon.

thirtythree

rzrbackrob

Going without sleep may cause hallucinations.  ;)
Good is the enemy of great

Buff

Quote from: Overtheroadtruckdriver on March 14, 2009, 11:15:43 pm
I'm not saying it's going to happen, I just heard from someone close to the athletic department that it is not as far fetched of a notion as some might think and that while it is unlikely to happen, if and when it does it will be very sudden and soon.

If anything's done, I hope you're right about the timing.  Get it over with so preparations can start for next season.

WMHawgfan

Table Rocker

Fitting that an overtheroadtruckdriver has a 'semi'-reliable source

WilsonHog

Something happening hasn't been far-fetched at all, despite the protestations of some to the contrary.

If Pel survives, and I believe he will, there is ONE reason for it: the fact that this is Year Two.

Any other timeline and he would be toast. 

Overtheroadtruckdriver

This is not an inflammatory thread. It's not meant that way at all. Pelphrey probably deserves more time because we still don't know if he has what it takes to build the program. Everyone was ready to fire Nolan in season two as well. The difference is that Nolan was a proven winner, someone who had put a school on the map that had never been on the map before and hasn't been since. He had won an NIT championship. Pel didn't come to us with the same track record. He's a nice guy and I like him, would want my kids to play for him, but who knows what the University thinks of him. He's not Long's man, and sometimes these AD's want to bring in their own guys. I think he needs a chance to show what he can do. I hope he gets at least one more year.

N HOG

Quote from: Overtheroadtruckdriver on March 14, 2009, 11:25:16 pm
This is not an inflammatory thread. It's not meant that way at all. Pelphrey probably deserves more time because we still don't know if he has what it takes to build the program. Everyone was ready to fire Nolan in season two as well. The difference is that Nolan was a proven winner, someone who had put a school on the map that had never been on the map before and hasn't been since. He had won an NIT championship. Pel didn't come to us with the same track record. He's a nice guy and I like him, would want my kids to play for him, but who knows what the University thinks of him. He's not Long's man, and sometimes these AD's want to bring in their own guys. I think he needs a chance to show what he can do. I hope he gets at least one more year.

Make the change now or make it next year -- whatever. Just a matter of how many down years we want to go through.

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Good point. I think there's about an 18-20% chance we make the NCAA tournament next year. Is that reason enough to bring Pel back? I don't know.

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 14, 2009, 11:24:58 pm
Something happening hasn't been far-fetched at all, despite the protestations of some to the contrary.

If Pel survives, and I believe he will, there is ONE reason for it: the fact that this is Year Two.

Any other timeline and he would be toast. 
Earlier Pork seemed to indicate Pel was guaranteed another year. Do you believe that may not be the case?

WilsonHog

Quote from: Karma on March 14, 2009, 11:36:34 pm
Earlier Pork seemed to indicate Pel was guaranteed another year. Do you believe that may not be the case?

No, I believe Pel will be here next year. Good thing for him this was Year Two and not Year Three.

N HOG

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 14, 2009, 11:46:31 pm
No, I believe Pel will be here next year. Good thing for him this was Year Two and not Year Three.

I am sure you are right that we have more suffering to endure before this is turned around. Just seems to be the way it is.

Oliver

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 14, 2009, 11:46:31 pm

I really wish we Long and company took more of the Kentucky party lines in this situation.  Kentucky realizes that nothing good is going to come of their situation whether it's year 2, 4 or 10.

March 14, 2009, 11:53:29 pm #17 Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 08:37:12 am by Karma
Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 14, 2009, 11:50:46 pm
I really wish we Long and company took more of the Kentucky party lines in this situation.  Kentucky realizes that nothing good is going to come of their situation whether it's year 2, 4 or 10.
The difference is that everyone here personally likes Pel and would love him if he could win.  Gillispie isn't personally liked there and even if he did win, they wouldn't like his personality.

HogBreath

Quote from: Karma on March 14, 2009, 11:53:29 pm
The difference is that everyone her personally likes Pel and would love him if he could win.  Gillispie isn't personally liked there and even if he did win, they wouldn't like his personality.
I could see where the people at Wal Mart wouldn't be real happy with Pelphrey

and it is Walton arena.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

WilsonHog

The difference is that everyone her personally likes Pel and would love him if he could win.  Gillispie isn't personally liked there and even if he did win, they wouldn't like his personality.

There are a lot of people who like Pel.

Many of those same people also believe he is in over his head, and has been from the day he was hired.

Oliver

I like Pel.  And I would love him if he could win.  It doesn't stop me from seeing that professionally he's not going to get it done here.  Gillispie's personality wouldn't be on the chopping block if Kentucky was 30-3 this year.  I'm sure that a lot of people at Kentucky don't like Gillispie but that's irrelevant if you are winning.

thirtythree

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 14, 2009, 11:50:46 pm

The biggest difference between BG and JP is the approach they take to their respective jobs.

BG thinks it's just another job and it doesn't mean anything else than that. He doesn't embrace what UK basketball is and also doesn't like the media.

JP is the total opposite. He knows and embraces our traditions here in Arkansas. He has been nothing but appreciative to the fans (first) and then everyone else the whole time. It is a damnn shame that there has a been such a fire storm to get rid of him. Even when the beloved NR has come out and said to give the man time a lot of you still don't agree.

Oliver

Quote from: thirtythree on March 15, 2009, 12:12:49 am
The biggest difference between BG and JP is the approach they take to their respective jobs.

BG thinks it's just another job and it doesn't mean anything else than that. He doesn't embrace what UK basketball is and also doesn't like the media.

JP is the total opposite. He knows and embraces our traditions here in Arkansas. He has been nothing but appreciative to the fans (first) and then everyone else the whole time. It is a damnn shame that there has a been such a fire storm to get rid of him. Even when the beloved NR has come out and said to give the man time a lot of you still don't agree.

What the hell is NR supposed to say publicly about Pel?  "I think the man is a couple of cans short of a six-pack when it comes to running a program?"

I mean, I'm not saying how NR really feels about Pelphrey.  He may love him as our coach.  But do you really expect for him to say anything bad about Pelphrey publicly?

thirtythree

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 15, 2009, 12:25:01 am
What the hell is NR supposed to say publicly about Pel?  "I think the man is a couple of cans short of a six-pack when it comes to running a program?"

I mean, I'm not saying how NR really feels about Pelphrey.  He may love him as our coach.  But do you really expect for him to say anything bad about Pelphrey publicly?

I think NR would say whatever he wants to say. He has never been known to shy away if he wanted to say something. JP was instrumental in helping bring NR and the guys back for their just celebration. NR knows what it's like to start at the bottom more than any of us. I love NR and what he did for our basketball team. I hated it when he left. He still has a love for this program and I firmly believe that if he didn't think JP was the guy to lead us out of this mess he would say so.

The Hogfather

A lot of times, things don't look good in year two of a coaching transition, especially in the situation that Pelphrey inherited.

Oliver

Quote from: thirtythree on March 15, 2009, 12:31:46 am
NR knows what it's like to start at the bottom more than any of us.

Which is EXACTLY why he won't say anything negative about Pelphrey.  Whether he disapproves of how Pelphrey is handling the discipline of the team, the recruiting, the on the court coaching, or whether he has ABSOLUTELY ZERO problems with Pelphrey. 

Oliver

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 15, 2009, 12:33:48 am
A lot of times, things don't look good in year two of a coaching transition, especially in the situation that Pelphrey inherited.

And sometimes they look good in year 3 and sometimes they look just as putrid as they did in year 2.  And you can also say this about year 4.  The bottom line is after year 2 you can get a good feeling about how things will be going in years 3 and 4 and I don't see anything that makes me think it will be better in years 3 or 4.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 15, 2009, 12:38:10 am
And sometimes they look good in year 3 and sometimes they look just as putrid as they did in year 2.  And you can also say this about year 4.  The bottom line is after year 2 you can get a good feeling about how things will be going in years 3 and 4 and I don't see anything that makes me think it will be better in years 3 or 4.

BS.  Under the circumstances, we had a season that was (or at least should've been) somewhat expected.  The only thing that happened out of the norm was beating a couple of overrated teams from the Big XII, that happened to give our team credibility for some reason.

thirtythree

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 15, 2009, 12:36:34 am
Which is EXACTLY why he won't say anything negative about Pelphrey.  Whether he disapproves of how Pelphrey is handling the discipline of the team, the recruiting, the on the court coaching, or whether he has ABSOLUTELY ZERO problems with Pelphrey.

Doesn't that also show that NR may see something in JP that leads him to believe he will do well here? I certainly think so. NR is a very smart man and he is not going to BS anyone about anything. I think if our best basketball coach ever says we should support him then by god we should.

Oliver

Quote from: thirtythree on March 15, 2009, 12:41:24 am
Doesn't that also show that NR may see something in JP that leads him to believe he will do well here? I certainly think so. NR is a very smart man and he is not going to BS anyone about anything. I think if our best basketball coach ever says we should support him then by god we should.

No, it says that NR wouldn't let the public know his personal opinion about Pelphrey whether he truly hated him or loved him.

thirtythree

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 15, 2009, 12:45:01 am
No, it says that NR wouldn't let the public know his personal opinion about Pelphrey whether he truly hated him or loved him.

Fat chance of that happening. The one thing that I have learned from NR is that he doesn't really give a damnn what anyone thinks of him or his opinions. I seriously doubt that he would "all of the sudden" change right now.

Oliver

Quote from: thirtythree on March 15, 2009, 12:50:30 am
Fat chance of that happening. The one thing that I have learned from NR is that he doesn't really give a damnn what anyone thinks of him or his opinions. I seriously doubt that he would "all of the sudden" change right now.

What happened the last time that he "didn't really give a damn what anyone thought of him or his opinons?" 

Now that we have an AD that wants to involve probably the most important coach we've had in the 2 major sports during the last 20 years with the program again, you think NR is going to screw that up by telling it like it is about Pelphrey? 

Once again, that being said, he might LOVE Pelphrey.

chiefsfan

So wait a second

If Pel is Julus Ceaser, whose the guy who stabs him the back? (Brutus)
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

hawgsav1

Quote from: chiefsfan on March 15, 2009, 01:01:24 am
So wait a second

If Pel is Julus Ceaser, whose the guy who stabs him the back? (Brutus)

Tom Ostrum :P
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

rude1

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 15, 2009, 12:02:30 am
I like Pel.  And I would love him if he could win.  It doesn't stop me from seeing that professionally he's not going to get it done here.  Gillispie's personality wouldn't be on the chopping block if Kentucky was 30-3 this year.  I'm sure that a lot of people at Kentucky don't like Gillispie but that's irrelevant if you are winning.
Exactly Oliver. All this stuff about Gillispie's personality has everything to do with the fact he isn't winning there. If he had won the conference and the SEC tourney, they would all be patting themselves on the back about what a great hire he was. Any personality conflicts would be written off as "thats just ole billy being billy".

rude1

Quote from: thirtythree on March 15, 2009, 12:12:49 am

Since when have coaches been anything other than supportive of other coaches? It's a fraternity, and you don't bad mouth a fellow coach publicly. Nolan also supported Heath and thought he should have been given more time.

Prosciutto

Didn't we have a good year with attendence? I think that will give Pel another year. Usually our coach is gone when he stops drawing a crowd.

JYH

Quote from: Overtheroadtruckdriver on March 14, 2009, 11:06:39 pm
I heard from a semi-reliable source that if anything happens it will happen quickly, before the tournament starts. I personally don't think anything will happen but they say if it does, it's going to be fast.

You've seen the dog, haven't you? The "Black Dog"?

thirtythree

Quote from: rude1 on March 15, 2009, 07:44:07 am
Since when have coaches been anything other than supportive of other coaches? It's a fraternity, and you don't bad mouth a fellow coach publicly. Nolan also supported Heath and thought he should have been given more time.

I also thought Heath should have had 1 more year.

No matter what anyome says, NR will speak his mind and he doesn't care who's feelings it hurts. If he thought that JP was the wrong guy or it was time for him to go you best bet he would say it.

Mark Lericos

Pel will be here next year. His job is not in jeopardy.

WMHawgfan

Quote from: Mark [Scoop] Lericos on March 15, 2009, 11:03:45 am

Pel will be here next year. His job is not in jeopardy.
I don't think most on here are as worried about Pel being here next year as they are about Ostrum. I think that him returning and Evans possibley leaving is getting a lot of people fired up.

PennaHog

Quote from: Overtheroadtruckdriver on March 14, 2009, 11:06:39 pm

Hey LOOK everybody....its yet another lightly disguised "Fire Pel" thread....   :puke:

Nice post......  ::)

WPS GHG
:razorback:

This comment is the absolute dumbest thing ever said on this board:

Quote from: Porkem Yung on December 05, 2010, 01:03:52 am
I thought you were a military man? 
You would think, serving our great country, would have taught you some respect for authority.
Lando is a moderator.  Respect his authority.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: WMHawgfan on March 15, 2009, 11:08:54 am
I don't think most on here are as worried about Pel being here next year as they are about Ostrum. I think that him returning and Evans possibley leaving is getting a lot of people fired up.

Yep, thats definitely my concern. In my opinion the programs future under Pel at this moment rest on that one decision. Keeping dead wait around does nothing for this progam.

If next season is going to be better than this one, Pel needs to make better decisions in regards the program. That covers every area of his duties. Coaching, recruiting, staffing hires, displinary issues etc, etc, etc.

Give him another year? Certainly ,but he needs to start making better decisions.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

mhuff

I don't know about Pel, but I should have paid attention to "Beware the ides of March." That was my ex-wife's birthday." lol

Hog Milanese

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 14, 2009, 11:58:31 pm
There are a lot of people who like Pel.

Many of those same people also believe he is in over his head, and has been from the day he was hired.

I certainly like Pelphrey. He understands Arkansas' basketball tradition, heritage, whatever you'd like to call it. He gets it, and he embraces it. He appreciates the fans. He appreciates the opportunity to coach at Arkansas. He's a great guy, and does his best to keep his team in line and get them prepared for ballgames.

Unfortunately, that drive and fortitude hasn't been enough to produce positive -- or at least, sustained -- results on the court.

Just because I'd be open for change sooner than later doesn't mean I don't like Pel and don't want him to stay. If we have 20+ wins next year, I'll be as happy as can be, and very glad that we got those wins with Pelphrey. That doesn't discount the fact that I wouldn't be against him being let go THIS YEAR, either, however. I think in this case you can have your cake and eat it too, so to speak.

Bottom line: I want what's best for Arkansas first, and Pelphrey second. If he is better off at another school -- so be it, and God be with him. If he can get the job done here at Arkansas, and build a sustained, successful program, then I'm all for it, and will thank God for it.

Either way, the Hogs should be better than this in basketball. There's a million reasons why, and we all know what they are (facilities, tradition, fan base, etc...). The "down time" has gone on long enough. I hope that either Pelphrey finds a better fit elsewhere or our program goes through a dramatic turnaround for the future, and I hope that this happens within the next 12 months.

:razorback: