Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coach Pelphrey job approval poll

Started by MaxMaloney, March 14, 2009, 08:48:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you approve or disapprove of the job that John Pelphrey is doing as head coach of the Razorbacks?

Approve
121 (35.9%)
Disapprove
130 (38.6%)
Unsure
86 (25.5%)

Total Members Voted: 312

MaxMaloney

This isn't about whether you think he should be fired (which is not going to happen) or how you approve of this season's results (which I'm sure everyone disapproves of).  This is just asking what you think of the job Coach Pel is doing in general.  Do you approve or disapprove?

40MINSOFHELL

SLC

I need your truthful reply - lie, I will know it... and death will be no respite.

Table Rocker

i'm still unsure, but i'm sure of the fact a coach should get more than 2 years to see what he can do.

we made this bed, we have to sleep in it, whether we like it or not.

Razorvet

Disapprove.

For the love of Hog how can anyone approve of 2-15 in the SEC? How can anyone approve of losing the talent we have lost since he took this team from heath? How can anyone approve of this Nutt style of recruiting grade and discipline risks or settling for players noone else wanted? How can anyone approve of the lack of maturity shown by the coaching staff?

I was excited about Pel and pulled for him til the end. But this team went up in smoke after the new year and Pel owns those failures. How can anyone approve of these results?

forrest city joe

March 14, 2009, 09:03:39 pm #5 Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 09:05:13 pm by forrest city joe
Quote from: Table Rocker on March 14, 2009, 08:54:30 pm
i'm still unsure, but i'm sure of the fact a coach should get more than 2 years to see what he can do.

We did not make this bed.John White and Frank made it. now that we have gotten rid of them. we need to get rid of Pel too!no to keeping Pel another year. i Disapprove.

chiefsfan

Quote from: Razorvet on March 14, 2009, 09:00:11 pm
Disapprove.

For the love of Hog how can anyone approve of 2-15 in the SEC? How can anyone approve of losing the talent we have lost since he took this team from heath? How can anyone approve of this Nutt style of recruiting grade and discipline risks or settling for players noone else wanted? How can anyone approve of the lack of maturity shown by the coaching staff?

I was excited about Pel and pulled for him til the end. But this team went up in smoke after the new year and Pel owns those failures. How can anyone approve of these results?

I do not approve of 2-15.  But I cannot dissapprove until I see proof that we are going down rather then up
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Razorod

Quote from: Table Rocker on March 14, 2009, 08:54:30 pm

even though i'm not overly confident in pel, i have to agree that we should give him a third year. i don't agree with posters who say two to three more years unless he produces next year.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Hot_Town_Hog

Ask this again after this year's class is final and we have played some more games. If things aren't much better, you will get a much different answer.

I haven't given up yet. If the nucleus we have stays in place and we bring in 3 or 4 more bodies that can contribute, we could easily be an NCAAT team. If not, there will be mucho unrest in Hogville and all across Hog Country.

NuttinItUp

Depends on what happens next year. That is Pel's crucial test, imo. If we can't show strong signs of improvement, then I'll definitely jump on the anti-Pel bandwagon.

rzrbackrob

A coach needs more than 2 years with his own players to prove he can get the job done.
Arkansas is not reloading, they are rebuilding from the ground floor.

Arkansas and the fans do not owe Pel anything except the terms of his contract. We owe it to ourselves to be patient and see if we hired a good coach or not. When a program hires and fires coaches too quickly, it looks like the school does not know what they are doing.
Good is the enemy of great

lovetthog1

I approve and think we should give Pel a five year extension and a raise , just to avoid ever having to go through another coaching search again.

donewithdale

Richard_white

There seems to be more Razorback BB fans on the message board than a game at Bud Walton.

thirtythree

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 14, 2009, 09:03:39 pm
We did not make this bed.John White and Frank made it. now that we have gotten rid of them. we need to get rid of Pel too!no to keeping Pel another year. i Disapprove.

Every time "fans" get on here and start bashing players and coaches it is making the bed all over again. It makes recruiting worse, because they get on here and read this stuff.

FCJ, I would bet any amount of money that you will be praising JP's name when he leads this team out of the gutter. You are as fair weather as oe can get.

HogBreath

Quote from: thirtythree on March 14, 2009, 10:50:00 pm
Every time "fans" get on here and start bashing players and coaches it is making the bed all over again. It makes recruiting worse, because they get on here and read this stuff.

FCJ, I would bet any amount of money that you will be praising JP's name when he leads this team out of the gutter. You are as fair weather as oe can get.
Who are some of the recruits that were turned away by the negative comments on here? 

I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

forrest city joe

Quote from: HogBreath on March 14, 2009, 11:06:59 pm
Who are some of the recruits that were turned away by the negative comments on here? 

O boy! now it's my fault we are losing recruits. i was not posting these things when we lost all our top targets in november. it's another lame excuse to shut people up who dont like the job Pel is doing.

thirtythree

Quote from: HogBreath on March 14, 2009, 11:06:59 pm

I didn't say anyone was turned away. I said it makes it worse. You don't think that coaches show this stuff to recruits. I would in a heartbeat.

Look how the fans in Mizzou jumped all over Wingo for deciding to go to Arkansas. He read what was being said.

If I was a recruit lookig at Arkansas I would be turned off due to the way he fans are talking. I would want to be supported by the fans not bashed.

thirtythree

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 14, 2009, 11:11:41 pm
O boy! now it's my fault we are losing recruits. i was not posting these things when we lost all our top targets in november. it's another lame excuse to shut people up who dont like the job Pel is doing.

Didn't say it was your fault.

All we would have to do is just show some of your posts when the HIgs were doing well and everything would be ok. FCJ = bigger fip flopper than Kerry. ::)

UAalumUALRlaw

Unsure. Based on this year's results= :puke:
However, I don't give him most of the blame for this year's results, so I'm unsure.

hoglady

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 14, 2009, 09:03:39 pm

I don't know why you think Frank made it. If John White had stayed out of it and let Broyles do his job - (we'd have never seen Heath or Pelphrey) Bill Self would be our coach right now and we'd be talking about whether we're going to make it to the Final Four, instead of how to get out of the SEC cellar next year.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hogsndawgs

Quote from: hoglady on March 14, 2009, 11:16:40 pm
I don't know why you think Frank made it. If John White had stayed out of it and let Broyles do his job - (we'd have never seen Heath or Pelphrey) Bill Self would be our coach right now and we'd be talking about whether we're going to make it to the Final Four, instead of how to get out of the SEC cellar next year.

Very good point. +1

HogBreath

Quote from: thirtythree on March 14, 2009, 11:13:16 pm
I didn't say anyone was turned away. I said it makes it worse. You don't think that coaches show this stuff to recruits. I would in a heartbeat.

Look how the fans in Mizzou jumped all over Wingo for deciding to go to Arkansas. He read what was being said.

If I was a recruit lookig at Arkansas I would be turned off due to the way he fans are talking. I would want to be supported by the fans not bashed.
Oh, my bad, I took what you said to mean players were reading these awful comments and and crossing us off their list.   So just to be sure, have there been any players turned off, OR, you're just saying you would be turned off if you were a recruit.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

thirtythree

Quote from: HogBreath on March 14, 2009, 11:18:22 pm
Oh, my bad, I took what you said to mean players were reading these awful comments and and crossing us off their list.   So just to be sure, have there been any players turned off, OR, you're just saying you would be turned off if you were a recruit.

I definately would be turned off if I was a recruit. I do believe that the possibility of it happening with "actual" recruits is very good. Don't they always bring fans into the conversation when they are recruiting? Pointing fingers to negative fans are a way to counter all the good coaches put on a strong fan base.

HogBreath

Quote from: thirtythree on March 14, 2009, 11:23:23 pm
I definately would be turned off if I was a recruit. I do believe that the possibility of it happening with "actual" recruits is very good. Don't they always bring fans into the conversation when they are recruiting? Pointing fingers to negative fans are a way to counter all the good coaches put on a strong fan base.
Doesn't that just seem overly simplistic though? 

What if we going head to head with College A for a real stud 4 star power forward from Atlanta, then me and you and FCJ could get on College A's board and and act like we were real PO'd at College A's coach and Mr. Real Stud would be signing on for 40 minutes of Pel in no time flat.

Razorvet

If a coach is using Hogville for negative recruiting that coach has nothing to offer that recruit and said recruit is an idiot if they sign with that coach. Do we want idiots to play for our Hogs?

chiefsfan

Quote from: Razorvet on March 14, 2009, 11:35:15 pm
If a coach is using Hogville for negative recruiting that coach has nothing to offer that recruit and said recruit is an idiot if they sign with that coach. Do we want idiots to play for our Hogs?

I have seen message boards used before in recruiting.   its not as far fetched as you think
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Doggtown31LCC

unsure, i'm trying to keep an open mind and to be patient, i know bringing a program out of the ditch just takes time no matter who the coach is.
L. Courtney Click
Winthrop Wolves #1
Superman wears Joe Adams pajamas

Pork Twain

History has shown us that it is too soon to tell.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Prosciutto

I like Pel, but the biggest problem we have is trying to start 3 guys shorter than 6' 3'' int the SEC. This might work in the Sunbelt, but it will only get you 2 or 3 wins in the SEC.

LA HAWG

Quote from: chiefsfan on March 15, 2009, 01:02:53 am
I have seen message boards used before in recruiting.   its not as far fetched as you think

You do realize that other schools have message boards, right?

chortle

2-15 with signs of improvement over the course of a season warrants hope and optimism for next year with an extremely young team and ultimately another year to coach.

2-15 following a 12-1 start including victories over two top 10 teams, followed by the greatest collapse by a Razorback team in any sport in recent memory, due primarily to personnel problems on and off the court with both players and coaches, demonstrates a total lack of control over the program and ultimately should lead a coach back to coaching South Alabama A&M Community College.

PennaHog

Look everybody!!!!  A brand new "Fire Pel" thread disguised as a poll!!!   :puke:

Now don't you feel guilty for buying into it.....   ;)

WPS GHG
:razorback:
This comment is the absolute dumbest thing ever said on this board:

Quote from: Porkem Yung on December 05, 2010, 01:03:52 am
I thought you were a military man? 
You would think, serving our great country, would have taught you some respect for authority.
Lando is a moderator.  Respect his authority.

Hoggy1

Quote from: thirtythree on March 14, 2009, 11:13:16 pm

Lame excuses is all I see.

You would show a recruit a message board and what fans are saying?

What about that 2-15 finish to the season, would you show em that?  Would you tell em about all the off court turmoil this team has?  What about playing for a coach who hasn't proven squat since his time here? 

I think I would show recruits a lot of negative stuff surrounding this program, but I doubt I would take the time to bring up Hogville.net to show a recruit what fans are saying, that is the last thing on a coaches mind.

Even so, if a recruit were to see this, I'm sure putting 2 and 2 together he would come to the conclusion that all of this message board criticism doesn't come unwarranted.  Pelphrey is bringing every single bit of this on himself.

Hell, how is Pel even suppose to recruit himself?  What exactly can he tell a recruit about this program that isn't negative?

I'd like to hear some positives from you pumpers, something other than "we're young" or "Pel needs time".  In case you haven't noticed, the rest of the SEC is just about as young and depleted as we are.
You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

thirtythree

Quote from: GiveEmHellPel on March 15, 2009, 12:30:53 pm
Lame excuses is all I see.

You would show a recruit a message board and what fans are saying?

What about that 2-15 finish to the season, would you show em that?  Would you tell em about all the off court turmoil this team has?  What about playing for a coach who hasn't proven squat since his time here? 

I think I would show recruits a lot of negative stuff surrounding this program, but I doubt I would take the time to bring up Hogville.net to show a recruit what fans are saying, that is the last thing on a coaches mind.

Even so, if a recruit were to see this, I'm sure putting 2 and 2 together he would come to the conclusion that all of this message board criticism doesn't come unwarranted.  Pelphrey is bringing every single bit of this on himself.

Hell, how is Pel even suppose to recruit himself?  What exactly can he tell a recruit about this program that isn't negative?

I'd like to hear some positives from you pumpers, something other than "we're young" or "Pel needs time".  In case you haven't noticed, the rest of the SEC is just about as young and depleted as we are.

I would. I would show that recruit that no matter how hard he/she played there are fans that will bash them. They could pour it all on the line and no matter what they weren't getting it doe. Fans would light them up because of it. That's just me though. I don't care what anyone else thinks about it.

010HogFan

slightly on the side of disapprove.

all the leads we lost this year have to be blamed somewhat on coaching.

thirtythree

Quote from: 010HogFan on March 15, 2009, 01:40:28 pm
slightly on the side of disapprove.

all the leads we lost this year have to be blamed somewhat on coaching.

I would like to see the unsures cast a definitive vote. Remember though, this just says that people disapprove of the job he is doing right now. I even voted for that one. i still don't want him fired though.

Hoggy1

Quote from: thirtythree on March 15, 2009, 01:38:50 pm
I would. I would show that recruit that no matter how hard he/she played there are fans that will bash them. They could pour it all on the line and no matter what they weren't getting it doe. Fans would light them up because of it. That's just me though. I don't care what anyone else thinks about it.

You're wrong.  Not every kid gets bashed.

Criticism is warranted.  No real fan just piles on a kid for no apparent reason.

But everything they do is under a microscope, when a ball bounces off a certain you know who's hands, expect criticism when he is on scholarship to catch that pass and get 2 points.  And to have it happen over and over and over and over game after game, it gets old and piles on.

When a certain you know who has 8 or 9 turnovers, people are going to point that out because you can't win ballgames when your 1 spot is committing that many TO's.

When you know who goes 0fer over a stretch of 3 or 4 games and continues to jack up 3's like it's nobodies business....he is expected to run a few more motions and open up somebody else on offense.

Individual play screws up the whole team chemistry in the end....as we have seen this year.  Ego's that are bigger than the team concept doesn't amount to winning basketball.

Then the whole chemistry thing goes back on the coaches, who are responsible for keeping this team in line.  That's why Pelphrey is getting paid 6 figures a year, to win games and coach a TEAM... not a pickup squad.

You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

thirtythree

Quote from: GiveEmHellPel on March 15, 2009, 02:00:21 pm
You're wrong.  Not every kid gets bashed.

Criticism is warranted.  No real fan just piles on a kid for no apparent reason.

But everything they do is under a microscope, when a ball bounces off a certain you know who's hands, expect criticism when he is on scholarship to catch that pass and get 2 points.  And to have it happen over and over and over and over game after game, it gets old and piles on.

When a certain you know who has 8 or 9 turnovers, people are going to point that out because you can't win ballgames when your 1 spot is committing that many TO's.

When you know who goes 0fer over a stretch of 3 or 4 games and continues to jack up 3's like it's nobodies business....he is expected to run a few more motions and open up somebody else on offense.

Individual play screws up the whole team chemistry in the end....as we have seen this year.  Ego's that are bigger than the team concept doesn't amount to winning basketball.

Then the whole chemistry thing goes back on the coaches, who are responsible for keeping this team in line.  That's why Pelphrey is getting paid 6 figures a year, to win games and coach a TEAM... not a pickup squad.

You know you wanted to name them. Why didn't you? 8)

Wayne Watson

Quote from: chortle on March 15, 2009, 10:19:32 am
2-15 with signs of improvement over the course of a season warrants hope and optimism for next year with an extremely young team and ultimately another year to coach.

2-15 following a 12-1 start including victories over two top 10 teams, followed by the greatest collapse by a Razorback team in any sport in recent memory, due primarily to personnel problems on and off the court with both players and coaches, demonstrates a total lack of control over the program and ultimately should lead a coach back to coaching South Alabama A&M Community College.

Very good point.  Pel lacks control of the team and his assistants.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

SLC

I've slept on it some and I disapprove even more than I did yesterday. 

2-14 in the SEC, that's worse than terrible.
I need your truthful reply - lie, I will know it... and death will be no respite.

HOGSWEAT

Unsure, I dont like how this season turned out at all. I hope all this off-court stuff isnt as serious as it sounds. I think he's doing the best he can with the situation he is in. I feel like hes in over his head.

I'll tell you next year.

Wild Bill Hog

Don't upset Joe with facts.

SLC

You rock.  +1

imhogwild2

Bring back slobbering hog. Member Since 12/1/2006

moondog

Quote from: chiefsfan on March 14, 2009, 09:05:30 pm
I do not approve of 2-15.  But I cannot dissapprove until I see proof that we are going down rather then up

No where to go but up, unless we finish 1-15 or 0-16 in the SEC next year. Pel is a joke for a coach.

pigface

Approve

Any year we beat the Texas Longhorns,  I don't care much what else happens.  Thanks Pel,  it got HDN 10 years for beating Texas once in a while.

TheRazorbackGuy

March 16, 2009, 11:15:37 am #47 Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 11:33:33 am by TheRazorbackGuy
Quote from: rzrbackrob on March 14, 2009, 09:51:45 pm
A coach needs more than 2 years with his own players to prove he can get the job done.
Arkansas is not reloading, they are rebuilding from the ground floor.

Arkansas and the fans do not owe Pel anything except the terms of his contract. We owe it to ourselves to be patient and see if we hired a good coach or not. When a program hires and fires coaches too quickly, it looks like the school does not know what they are doing.

Arkansas fans in a tough economy watch more basketball than they did in the past because no one wants to leave their houses. 2-15 is unacceptable at Arkansas and patience means nothing. Firing coaches quickly is when you have the worst season in over 30 years at the program. Pelphrey is weak and the deer-in-headlights look he gives to the refs is cartoonish. We got rid of the 1st clown in Nutt but we have one now.  So with that note I DISAPPROVE...