Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Personnel by Pel

Started by JIHawg, March 14, 2009, 10:20:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

want2be

Quote from: Porkatarian on March 15, 2009, 09:05:38 am
Pel and Long will sit down for their review in the near future.

Pel's job is safe.  He will be our head coach next season.

Pel has told friends privately that there's NO way that he will fire Tom Ostrom.  Pel has already started a PM campaign to try and gain support for Ostrum.  Pel called Ostrum one of the top 5 asst coaches in the country last week on Lil's Bo's show.  Ostrom made an appearance on DTS on Tues.  Then one of the payboards ran a story talking about one of our players transferring if Ostrom were to leave, which isn't true at all.  Then Ostrom did the post game interview with Mike Nail after the Florida loss on Thursday night.

If Pel refuses to get rid of Ostrom, especially now that word is getting about about possible recruiting violations (see today's demozet), I think he really loses any wiggle room if we don't see signifigant improvement next season.

Finally, there's no way Kentucky comes after a coach who just went 2 - 15 in SEC play.

Porkatarian out...

Pel better depend on a whole lot of luck on getting recruits for next year and keeping the right players.........Why Luck ?.............Because his skills have not paid off to date..........Too many poor decisions in too many areas.

Long needs to set specific goals for this staff that will prove to the fans that progress is going forward instead of backwards. As far as keeping Ostrum........I have lost respect for Pel for keeping a buddy who is obviously just a "YES MAN". 

thirtythree

Quote from: 12247 on March 15, 2009, 08:38:41 am
I thought the NCAA limited you to 5 new scholarships annually in BB.  Did Mike Anderson get a 2 player pass?  Also you have to wonder about the quality of a poster when you read that this wasn't a rebuilding year at Arkansas.  Our current coach may not be the person to take us back to the level we once were, but honestly, who can be sure of that right now.  In the past 40 years, we've had 2 successful BB coaches at Arkansas and both came from similiar mid-major schools like Pel did.  We've never hired a big time coach for our BB program in modern history.  The coach who came and left within hours should tell you something about our BB programs condition.  We are not much better off than when Sutton came in and started building.  We do have better facilities but we are in a much more competitive and media driven age.  Building this program will be slower than many expect.  We are so proud we have been in the NCAA tourny 3 or 4 years in a row until this year.  Thats true, but we got beat first game all but one of those times.  Guaranteed??????  Nothing is guaranteed.  If this NCAA investigation finds wrongdoing that is serious within this staff, I could see the entire group gone before next season.  If you look at the won/loss record, common sense says he gets another year or 2 to do better.  Instead of us setting and dreaming about the good ole days, lets look at what we really are right now.  We are a very young team with a couple of pretty players that appear to be solid citizens, a couple of pretty good players that seem to be border line thugs, and a couple of players that may one day be pretty good.  Our coach seems to hand out negative thought processes far more than postive ones and he may have very good reason for that.  At least his teams look like they would like to play a little BB which far exceeds the coach before him.  Truth is if Stan wasn't such a truly nice Guy, he should have been shipped for sure after year 3 and likely should have never been hired.  But you gotta admit, that elite 8 run he had sure bought him a reputation he didn't deserve.  I am not a Pel man.  I am a do the right thing man.  If this coaching group has broken NCAA rules of a major nature, let them go right now.  If they are knowingly allowiing our players to violate major rules, fire them all.  If its just a matter of a sorry program going through the pains it will go through to get better, we need to get out of the way and give it a bit more time.  Even if Pel can't coach a lick and can't recruit a lick, letting him go after basically one year of flying with his players is not polite, correct, or in the best interests of the University.

It changed. I can't cite specifics, but the limitations of how many kids that could be brought in has changed.

JIHawg

Quote from: bwbcpa on March 15, 2009, 09:14:30 am
Please clear something up for me? Isn't Ostrom the front guy to most of our recruits?

Yes.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: JIHawg on March 14, 2009, 07:22:21 pm
Just an example, Mike Anderson at Mo brought in seven new players this year-and just won the Big 12 tournament.  The Auburn coach hasn't done badly either.

HE SHOULD BE OUR COACH TOMORROW.

40MINSOFHELL

Anon2

Porkatarian, I see Fortson as an "extremely talented dribbler", not PG.  Right after the second half started against Florida, I could see what was going to happen based on Fortson's play.  Just a repeat of previous games.  He wants to be a scorer too much.  He's not a leader.  A leader is one thing missing on this team.  Just my opinion.

Porkatarian

Quote from: bwbcpa on March 15, 2009, 09:14:30 am
Please clear something up for me? Isn't Ostrom the front guy to most of our recruits?

BINGO!  and some wonder why we're missing out on some many recruits.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

Oliver

Quote from: Porkatarian on March 15, 2009, 09:05:38 am
Pel and Long will sit down for their review in the near future.

Pel's job is safe.  He will be our head coach next season.

Pel has told friends privately that there's NO way that he will fire Tom Ostrom.  Pel has already started a PM campaign to try and gain support for Ostrum.  Pel called Ostrum one of the top 5 asst coaches in the country last week on Lil's Bo's show.  Ostrom made an appearance on DTS on Tues.  Then one of the payboards ran a story talking about one of our players transferring if Ostrom were to leave, which isn't true at all.  Then Ostrom did the post game interview with Mike Nail after the Florida loss on Thursday night.

If Pel refuses to get rid of Ostrom, especially now that word is getting about about possible recruiting violations (see today's demozet), I think he really loses any wiggle room if we don't see signifigant improvement next season.

Finally, there's no way Kentucky comes after a coach who just went 2 - 15 in SEC play.

Porkatarian out...

Sickening news.  Just sickening.

MakeMeOink

Porkatarian and Scoop have now said that Pel will be here next year so we can all stop debating that.

What shocks me is that Ostrum is apparently going to survive contibuting to the locker room problems, not recruiting worth a darn, and getting rid of the one coach who actually had some experience (Evans).

It seems to me that if Pel started the season with 9 lives he probably used 6 of them going 2-15 and 2 more insisting on Ostrum staying.  That doesn't leave him much room for next year.

MakeMeOink

for your valuable information and insight the last few weeks as the wheels fell of the basketball season and the drama played out.

Razorod

my guess as to what will happen:

Evans will leave of his own accord
Brown will be let go

Sean Sutton and James Dickey will be brought in. Sutton will be the lead guy on recruiting.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

JIHawg

Quote from: Razorod on March 15, 2009, 05:07:52 pm
my guess as to what will happen:

Evans will leave of his own accord
Brown will be let go

Sean Sutton and James Dickey will be brought in. Sutton will be the lead guy on recruiting.
Add those two to Pel and Ostram,
it sounds like a local chapter of "white guys are us".

Razorod

i know. that will be an issue. miss st has a bigs coach that i wouldn't mind us seeing if we could get. he is african-american.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Sean might be a decent recruiter but his teams had a habit of going South as the season wore on.  Dicky seems decent too but really what has he done lately to garner much attention.  Evans may leave but i don't think he has done anything wrong to be fired.