McGowan-inside player run off, biggest need this year
Monk-lost due to assistant's loose lips
McDonald-less than one year bust
Beverly-lost due to mismanagement of academics
Henry-in and out of doghouse, sticky finger problem
Fortson-in and out of doghouse, sticky finger problem
Welsh-team chemistry problem never properly addressed

thirtythree

So, you are blaming all of these on Pel? Just wondering.

Marshfieldhog

But c'mon, nothing is Pel's fault..he walked into a mess..gotta give him 5 plus years..because we are poor little Arkysaw.

bwbcpa

Quote from: JIHawg on March 14, 2009, 10:20:48 am
Patsatsia-one year bust
Nate Rakestraw-one year bust

Other than Monk, do you think any of these players should shoulder any responsibility? BTW, I thought Beverly announced he was going pro, then announced he wasn't, then announced he was (?)

cdclark09

Patsatsia-one year bust
ha, don't forget that Pel's influence has bled over to the football team.  His personnel are the reason Powers got busted.  Get him outta here before he infects the baseball team!

BayofPigs

I do agree with Mcgowan, he could've helped out a lot this year. Wasn't a he a 4 star recruit? I met him once and I thought he was a really nice guy, no trouble-maker from what I could tell.

freethrow

BTW, I thought Beverly announced he was going pro, then announced he wasn't, then announced he was (?)

Must have been a Poly Sci Major

SemperFi

Although the Coach is ultimately responsible for the program a player is responsible for his own actions. Coach Pel has proven to be a tough disciplinarian and if the kids can't learn to take responsibility for their own actions now then they'll never learn to do so when they're living in the real world.

McGowan could have helped out this year, but if my memory serves me right he was thinking about leaving when Dana Altman spent a few hours as the head HOG and never really committed himself back to the HOGS after that.

It's a mess, but Coach Pel can and will get the ship righted...at least I'm holding on to my faith that he can.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

SkunkyMunky

Patsatsia-one year bust

Half those people were forced onto Pelphrey by Heath... but I totally see where it is all Pelphrey's fault.

[/sarcasm]
"Do you want to be safe and good, or do you want to take a chance and be great?"
Jimmy Johnson

"Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple."
Barry Switzer

BigHog396

Patsatsia-one year bust

Patsatsia-We needed a shooter, Pel had to try to get one, didn't work out
Nate Rakestraw-Heath signee, Pel honored his schollie, and then suggested he leave
McGowan-Wasn't getting it done, and knew he wouldn't see PT with the posts we had at the time
Monk-wasn't a b-ball player, was a band-aid that would have helped
McDonald-huge up-side, chance that didn't work out
Beverly-lost b/c he thought he was better than he was, and $/his own stupidity, Heath player
Henry-most potential on the team, another chance, and we will have to see how it turns out
Fortson-could end up being best PG to ever play in Fay, we will have to see
Welsh-horribly inconsistent, attitude problem, Heath player

SkunkyMunky

Quote from: freethrow on March 14, 2009, 11:37:42 am
BTW, I thought Beverly announced he was going pro, then announced he wasn't, then announced he was (?)

Must have been a Poly Sci Major

From what I have heard, he said he was, found out he wouldn't go high, so he withdrew his name.

Then when one of the girls he knocked up found out that he was getting money from an agent and not giving her any she turned him in.
"Do you want to be safe and good, or do you want to take a chance and be great?"
Jimmy Johnson

"Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple."
Barry Switzer

Stateline Hawg

We all give Dana Altman a hard time on here, and deservingly so, but he was right.  He knew this place was a mess, and who could blame him for not wanting to be a part of this.  He shouldn't have ever accepted without knowing everything first but thats not the topic of this thread. The program is in shambles, and all the experts on here that think 5star all americans are just going to flock here because were Arkansas and we won some games in the 90's when they were 3 years old or in the 70's when there parents were teenagers are mistaken. 

Its called rebuilding,Johnson at LSU isn't rebuilding, we were/are at rock bottom and we can only get better.  Broyles threw money at some big name coaches and they all refused, since then we have upgraded the football coach(salary), so those thinking we can throw some money out there at a big name again, you should probably up your donations or get behind this coach, b/c the next one will probably be an up and comer also

edt

Pel is the head man, even if it is unfair to place all the blame on him, he is probably gonna get it anyway. He makes a lot of money to coach this team. With that money comes the blame when things aren't going well.

InkMan

If this is the case, definitely should've kept his mouth shut!

Potentially breaking NCAA rules and covering it up when you had knowledge is always the best policy.

JIHawg

Quote from: Stateline Hawg on March 14, 2009, 12:34:46 pm
We all give Dana Altman a hard time on here, and deservingly so, but he was right.  He knew this place was a mess, and who could blame him for not wanting to be a part of this.  He shouldn't have ever accepted without knowing everything first but thats not the topic of this thread. The program is in shambles, and all the experts on here that think 5star all americans are just going to flock here because were Arkansas and we won some games in the 90's when they were 3 years old or in the 70's when there parents were teenagers are mistaken. 

Its called rebuilding,Johnson at LSU isn't rebuilding, we were/are at rock bottom and we can only get better.  Broyles threw money at some big name coaches and they all refused, since then we have upgraded the football coach(salary), so those thinking we can throw some money out there at a big name again, you should probably up your donations or get behind this coach, b/c the next one will probably be an up and comer also

I thought Pel inherited a team of seniors who took us two games into the tournament.   

bwbcpa

Quote from: SkunkyMunky on March 14, 2009, 12:30:11 pm
From what I have heard, he said he was, found out he wouldn't go high, so he withdrew his name.

Then when one of the girls he knocked up found out that he was getting money from an agent and not giving her any she turned him in.

Didn't know about the girl, but I did know there was an agent involved, hence the reason he didn't come back.

rude1

This is what amazes me. The idea that some how we were at rock bottom when Pelphrey arrived. We were coming off back to back NCAA tourney seasons when he took the job and made a third. It would have been much easier to sell that to recruits, than what Heath inherited.  A good recruiter could have sold the idea that we are a program coming off 3 straight tourney bids as a sign that the program is on the way back and they could be part of putting the program completely back on the national scene.

midwestcityhog

Quote from: rude1 on March 14, 2009, 02:04:39 pm
This is what amazes me. The idea that some how we were at rock bottom when Pelphrey arrived. We were coming off back to back NCAA tourney seasons when he took the job and made a third. It would have been much easier to sell that to recruits, than what Heath inherited.  A good recruiter could have sold the idea that we are a program coming off 3 straight tourney bids as a sign that the program is on the way back and they could be part of putting the program completely back on the national scene.

same could be said for LSU, oklahoma state, tennessee, kentucky, missouri, OU, etc, etc, etc......

BigHog396

Quote from: rude1 on March 14, 2009, 02:04:39 pm
Pelphrey did sell it, and ended up with a Top 15 recruiting class.  However, he had to take some chances because he got in the game so late in the recruiting process for that group.  Some of the chances didn't work out, and those for the most part are the ones that hurt us the most with depth and position issues this year.

The simple fact is that Pelphrey had to try to replace 10 scholarship players this year, because of the "rock bottom" that we hit due to Heath's poor recruiting.  Heath didn't leave the program at the bottom on the year he was shown the door... he left it that way for this season.

Anyone who knew what was going on, knew this year was coming because of the unbalanced classes.  It would have been this bad even if Heath had still been here.  That final recruiting class was looking very bad, and he was taking the program in the wrong direction.  That is how the program was left at rock bottom, and why Pelphrey is having to build it from scratch.

BigHog396

Quote from: Tomhog™ on March 14, 2009, 02:20:14 pm
I wouldn't classify this season as a rebuilding year.

Then what would you describe it as?  A build-it-from-scratch year?

bwbcpa

Quote from: BigHog396 on March 14, 2009, 02:32:34 pm
Pelphrey did sell it, and ended up with a Top 15 recruiting class.  However, he had to take some chances because he got in the game so late in the recruiting process for that group.  Some of the chances didn't work out, and those for the most part are the ones that hurt us the most with depth and position issues this year.

The simple fact is that Pelphrey had to try to replace 10 scholarship players this year, because of the "rock bottom" that we hit due to Heath's poor recruiting.  Heath didn't leave the program at the bottom on the year he was shown the door... he left it that way for this season.

Anyone who knew what was going on, knew this year was coming because of the unbalanced classes.  It would have been this bad even if Heath had still been here.  That final recruiting class was looking very bad, and he was taking the program in the wrong direction.  That is how the program was left at rock bottom, and why Pelphrey is having to build it from scratch.

So Heath was fired a year too soon? I'm glad we have Pelphrey and still support him, but I always questioned why the Board allowed Frank to retain the right to hire & fire after he announced his retirement and felt like Heath should have been given one more year with his seniors.

BigHog396

Quote from: bwbcpa on March 14, 2009, 02:44:06 pm
So Heath was fired a year too soon? I'm glad we have Pelphrey and still support him, but I always questioned why the Board allowed Frank to retain the right to hire & fire after he announced his retirement and felt like Heath should have been given one more year with his seniors.
No, he was fired when he should have been.  We would have been fine in '07 because of the experience of the team.  We would have been in an even worse position with Heath still here this year.  I know it sucks waiting on this team to be built back up, but you can't fire a guy who is starting from the point Pelphrey is having to.

I don't know if Pel will get it done or not, but I am glad we have a coach that has an appreciation for what Hawgball once was, and wants to coach in that same style.  You have to give the man a chance to build the program back, you can't just fire him because of the garbage he was left to deal with.

bwbcpa

Quote from: BigHog396 on March 14, 2009, 02:56:51 pm
No, he was fired when he should have been.  We would have been fine in '07 because of the experience of the team.  We would have been in an even worse position with Heath still here this year.  I know it sucks waiting on this team to be built back up, but you can't fire a guy who is starting from the point Pelphrey is having to.

I don't know if Pel will get it done or not, but I am glad we have a coach that has an appreciation for what Hawgball once was, and wants to coach in that same style.  You have to give the man a chance to build the program back, you can't just fire him because of the garbage he was left to deal with.

I supported Stan till the bitter end, and he was a class act on his way out the door, but I was very happy when Pelphrey was introduced as the new coach! He does understand our tradition. We'll have to see how that translates to the off-season efforts and what changes he makes to turn the program around.

beachhawg

Guys, Pel is in over his head.  No doubt about it.  He recruits players with troubled characters like he did in So Bama.  It does not work in the SEC when you have just as good or better players that have their act together. 
Pel has had problems with his style of discipline on and off the court.  He has not handled these kids correctly or they would not be having these problems now. 
His discipline, his recruiting, his attitude, his preparedness or lack thereof.  It all boils down to who is in charge.  That is Pel, he answers to all questions. 

hawgsav1

Quote from: Bailey on March 14, 2009, 03:28:36 pm
Guys, Pel is in over his head.  No doubt about it.  He recruits players with troubled characters like he did in So Bama.  It does not work in the SEC when you have just as good or better players that have their act together. 
Pel has had problems with his style of discipline on and off the court.  He has not handled these kids correctly or they would not be having these problems now. 
His discipline, his recruiting, his attitude, his preparedness or lack thereof.  It all boils down to who is in charge.  That is Pel, he answers to all questions. 

I don't think it's a matter of recruiting troubled players.  It's having the ability to keep those players out of trouble that makes you a good coach.  Hell, Petrino recruited a number of troubled kids at Louisville, but he kept most of them in line.  Look at Mallett being stupid and getting arrested.  But I can bet you Mallett will have to shape up after this.  it's ok to get troubled players, IF you can keep them out of trouble once they get here.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

want2be

Quote from: Bailey on March 14, 2009, 03:28:36 pm

According to Long it appears that we are stuck with him.......Can he make the changes needed to stay 2 more years ? To me, it depends on how Long is involved in the specifics of what the goals are for seeing the needed changes. Pel has to have DIRECTION set into place.

Porkatarian

Quote from: BigHog396 on March 14, 2009, 12:27:45 pm
Patsatsia-We needed a shooter, Pel had to try to get one, didn't work out
Nate Rakestraw-Heath signee, Pel honored his schollie, and then suggested he leave
McGowan-Wasn't getting it done, and knew he wouldn't see PT with the posts we had at the time
Monk-wasn't a b-ball player, was a band-aid that would have helped
McDonald-huge up-side, chance that didn't work out
Beverly-lost b/c he thought he was better than he was, and $/his own stupidity, Heath player
Henry-most potential on the team, another chance, and we will have to see how it turns out
Fortson-could end up being best PG to ever play in Fay, we will have to see
Welsh-horribly inconsistent, attitude problem, Heath player

Patsatsia- Pel decided to take a chance on this European shooter rather than trying to go after any of the kids he was recruiting at South Alabama.  Kind of says a lot about his last recruiting class at USA.

Nate Rakestraw - You are correct.  He was a Heath signee. Pel honored his schollie, and then suggested he leave. 

McGowan- Would have helped us big-time in the post this season.  All he wanted to do was redshirt, so he could play 2 years and not be behind Townes, Hill, Thomas, etc.  Ostrom the wonderboy thought he could bring in more talented players to replace him, so our staff told him no, you can't redshirt.  There's no way to sugarcoat this one.  Major screw up by this young staff.

Monk- He helped this team when he played.  Too bad a loose lipped asst coach ended his season early.  Personally, I don't think we need to be depending on former football players to get cut from NFL rosters to come back and help our basketball team.

McDonald- There was a reason why he wasn't highly recruited.  It had nothing to do with his ability.  Pel and his staff didn't do their homework with this kid and ended up bringing in a problem child.

Payne - see McDonald.  Another juco kid with character issues.  This one got into trouble and didn't graduate from juco.  That's when we jumped on McDonald.

Beverly-Pel and his staff knew the chances were 50/50 that Patrick would ever see the floor again.  That's why they went hard after Devon Dumes, who signed with Indiana.  Dumes also spent time watching instead of playing this year at Indiana b/c of a suspension.

Henry- very talented player, with character issues, and was a huge academic risk.  We had to wait to the last minute to see if he was going to be cleared by the NCAA.

Fortson- extremely talented PG, who shoots too much and doesn't take care of the ball.   He was another academic longshot who made it by the skin of his teeth.  If he learns to take care of the ball and becomes a pass first, shoot second PG, he can become a very special player.  Still lots of if's.

Moore - another project who was recruited by mid majors and who was suspended for several games this season for drinking and driving.

Welsh - I agree that he was horribly inconsistent, an attitude  problem, and he was Heath recruit.  I'm still wondering why he was able to get away with all that he did.

Let's take a look at this year's signees:

Borden - academic risk, huge project, that may be able to help us 2 or 3 years down the road.  Big upside as he's a legit 6'10" who can run and jump.

Powell - a big-time low post threat.  He'll start IF he makes it on campus.  Another academic risk.  There's a reason why this kid didn't have more offers, and it's not because he can't play.

Farmer - while he's no Todd Day or Ron Huery, he's a nice juco swingman who will help us next year.   

Anybody else notice a pattern here?  Are these the types of recruits that are going to return our program to greatness?

I will give Pel credit for signing highly recruited, high character kids: Rotnei Clarke and Andre Clark, even though Andre is more of a project.  Let's hope we see more of these type recruits in the future and fewer academic and character risks.  Personally, I thought that Rotnei was our best and most consistant player at the end of the year.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

ml2200

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on March 14, 2009, 10:30:23 am
But c'mon, nothing is Pel's fault..he walked into a mess..gotta give him 5 plus years..because we are poor little Arkysaw.

Just curious, who are we going to get that is going to fix things in 2 years? 

Table Rocker

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on March 14, 2009, 10:30:23 am

dude you really need a new line, that's getting really stale and fcj-esque. plus its not even that relevant here.

Table Rocker

Quote from: Porkatarian on March 14, 2009, 06:49:51 pm
Patsatsia- Pel decided to take a chance on this European shooter rather than trying to go after any of the kids he was recruiting at South Alabama.  Kind of says a lot about his last recruiting class at USA.

Nate Rakestraw - You are correct.  He was a Heath signee. Pel honored his schollie, and then suggested he leave. 

McGowan- Would have helped us big-time in the post this season.  All he wanted to do was redshirt, so he could play 2 years and not be behind Townes, Hill, Thomas, etc.  Ostrom the wonderboy thought he could bring in more talented players to replace him, so our staff told him no, you can't redshirt.  There's no way to sugarcoat this one.  Major screw up by this young staff.

Monk- He helped this team when he played.  Too bad a loose lipped asst coach ended his season early.  Personally, I don't think we need to be depending on former football players to get cut from NFL rosters to come back and help our basketball team.

McDonald- There was a reason why he wasn't highly recruited.  It had nothing to do with his ability.  Pel and his staff didn't do their homework with this kid and ended up bringing in a problem child.

Payne - see McDonald.  Another juco kid with character issues.  This one got into trouble and didn't graduate from juco.  That's when we jumped on McDonald.

Beverly-Pel and his staff knew the chances were 50/50 that Patrick would ever see the floor again.  That's why they went hard after Devon Dumes, who signed with Indiana.  Dumes also spent time watching instead of playing this year at Indiana b/c of a suspension.

Henry- very talented player, with character issues, and was a huge academic risk.  We had to wait to the last minute to see if he was going to be cleared by the NCAA.

Fortson- extremely talented PG, who shoots too much and doesn't take care of the ball.   He was another academic longshot who made it by the skin of his teeth.  If he learns to take care of the ball and becomes a pass first, shoot second PG, he can become a very special player.  Still lots of if's.

Moore - another project who was recruited by mid majors and who was suspended for several games this season for drinking and driving.

Welsh - I agree that he was horribly inconsistent, an attitude  problem, and he was Heath recruit.  I'm still wondering why he was able to get away with all that he did.

Borden - academic risk, huge project, that may be able to help us 2 or 3 years down the road.  Big upside as he's a legit 6'10" who can run and jump.

Powell - a big-time low post threat.  He'll start IF he makes it on campus.  Another academic risk.  There's a reason why this kid didn't have more offers, and it's not because he can't play.

Farmer - while he's no Todd Day or Ron Huery, he's a nice juco swingman who will help us next year.  

Anybody else notice a pattern here?  Are these the types of recruits that are going to return our program to greatness?

I will give Pel credit for signing highly recruited, high character kids: Rotnei Clarke and Andre Clark, even though Andre is more of a project.  Let's hope we see more of these type recruits in the future and fewer academic and character risks.  Personally, I thought that Rotnei was our best and most consistant player at the end of the year.

Porkatarian out...

were you impressed with mcgowan when he was here? did you see him developing into the player he is now? i'll be honest, i wasn't and i didn't.

Porkatarian

Quote from: Table Rocker on March 14, 2009, 06:59:23 pm

were you impressed with mcgowan when he was here? did you see him developing into the player he is now? i'll be honest, i wasn't and i didn't.

We never got a chance to see Cyrus play, b/c much like Michael Washington, he was stuck behind Townes, Hill, and Thomas.  I never thought Cyrus was going to be a big scorer, but he did play tough defense and was a good rebounder.  He had a very nice year for Miami this season and he'll be playing in postseason while we're at home watching.

Porkatarian out...

Table Rocker

Quote from: Porkatarian on March 14, 2009, 07:02:20 pm
We never got a chance to see Cyrus play, b/c much like Michael Washington, he was stuck behind Townes, Hill, and Thomas.  I never thought Cyrus was going to be a big scorer, but he did play tough defense and was a good rebounder.  He had a very nice year for Miami this season and he'll be playing in postseason while we're at home watching.

Porkatarian out...

well you could blame stan as much as pel for not showing him where the weight room was located when he was here..

parrishw

March 14, 2009, 07:04:30 pm #34 Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 07:06:01 pm by parrishw

Fortson- extremely talented PG, who shoots too much and doesn't take care of the ball.   He was another academic longshot who made it by the skin of his teeth.  If he learns to take care of the ball and becomes a pass first, shoot second PG, he can become a very special player.  Still lots of if's.

Porkatarian out...

Finally a voice of reason and logic

Thanks Porkatarian

One comment, I agree that what we are getting are some people that will be projects, but the pressure on this program is enormous to produce and the path to that many times is to look at the Juco source for some immediate impact. It does not always work out but it is what it is.
If Pel can increase the number of kids like Clarke that he gets every year while picking up a couple of Juco guys that can bring some maturity to the locker room we may be able to have a decent team within a few years.
Beating Oklahoma and Texas lead to some unrealistic expectations this year that brought back some bad recent memories to a lot of folks that are calling for Pel's head.
I am not one of them because I remember how many years it took Nolan to get this program back on track after Eddie left for Kentucky.
If Pel can get it together within 4 or five years and then have a 17 year run like Nolan's it will all be worth it.

Go Hogs

BigHog396

Fortson- extremely talented PG, who shoots too much and doesn't take care of the ball.   He was another academic longshot who made it by the skin of his teeth.  If he learns to take care of the ball and becomes a pass first, shoot second PG, he can become a very special player.  Still lots of if's.

Porkatarian out...
You also know how early you have to be in on kids today.  You normally don't get very far if you are in on them late.  I am just saying that Pel deserves the time to see where he can take us.  If we are still this horrible next year, I would say he probably should be shown the door.  Year 4 will be the key, same as it was with Nolan.  That will also be the year that we are supposed to have an incredible crop of in-state talent, could be another May-O-Day type class from what is being said early on.

I know he took some major risks, but don't really think they had many other choices.  He did go after a couple of solid kids, and those can be the base of this team.  But, you should know that they were going to have to take some major chances on some high-risk players to even start to try to replace 10 scholarships in one season.

I would say that if they manage to get Powell, Farmer, and Borden on campus, and also go out and get another decent late-signee or two, we may be ok next year.  If we lose out on any of the first three, or if we see Henry and Wash take off, we will probably be in big trouble, and Pel will probably be gone after next year.

If all of the current players can be kept, and if the ones we have signed make it, I believe we will be on the way to rebuilding this program.  At that point, I think you will see some changes in the type of players being recruited, just from the fact that the coaches will be at the point where they have been able to be after these kids for the long-run.

Only time will tell, but I would hate to see Pelphrey kicked out this early just because he was the only coach around willing to walk into the nightmare that was our basketball program when Heath was canned.

JIHawg

Quote from: ml2200 on March 14, 2009, 06:52:01 pm
Just curious, who are we going to get that is going to fix things in 2 years? 

Just an example, Mike Anderson at Mo brought in seven new players this year-and just won the Big 12 tournament.  The Auburn coach hasn't done badly either.

Marshfieldhog

Pork, great summary..hopefully Long will see the light and get a real coach. At least deep six Ostrum and get an SEC level staff in here to help Pel be guided.

Porkatarian

Quote from: Table Rocker on March 14, 2009, 07:03:41 pm
well you could blame stan as much as pel for not showing him where the weight room was located when he was here..

You can blame Stan Heath for a lot of things, but you can't blame him for running off Cyrus.  Even Stan knew he had to have some experienced post players on the roster when Townes, Hill, Hunter, and Thomas graduated.

Porkatarian out...

board

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on March 14, 2009, 07:37:08 pm
At least deep six Ostrum and get an SEC level staff in here to help Pel be guided.

If Pel was willing to accept guidance from someone qualified, one would think he might have inquired of Evans.

Say no sign of that.

Porkatarian

Quote from: BigHog396 on March 14, 2009, 07:09:36 pm
You also know how early you have to be in on kids today.  You normally don't get very far if you are in on them late.  I am just saying that Pel deserves the time to see where he can take us.  If we are still this horrible next year, I would say he probably should be shown the door.  Year 4 will be the key, same as it was with Nolan.  That will also be the year that we are supposed to have an incredible crop of in-state talent, could be another May-O-Day type class from what is being said early on.

I know he took some major risks, but don't really think they had many other choices.  He did go after a couple of solid kids, and those can be the base of this team.  But, you should know that they were going to have to take some major chances on some high-risk players to even start to try to replace 10 scholarships in one season.

I would say that if they manage to get Powell, Farmer, and Borden on campus, and also go out and get another decent late-signee or two, we may be ok next year.  If we lose out on any of the first three, or if we see Henry and Wash take off, we will probably be in big trouble, and Pel will probably be gone after next year.

If all of the current players can be kept, and if the ones we have signed make it, I believe we will be on the way to rebuilding this program.  At that point, I think you will see some changes in the type of players being recruited, just from the fact that the coaches will be at the point where they have been able to be after these kids for the long-run.

Only time will tell, but I would hate to see Pelphrey kicked out this early just because he was the only coach around willing to walk into the nightmare that was our basketball program when Heath was canned.

When you go 2 - 15 in SEC games, people are going to ask why.  There is plenty of blame to go around, and Pel's decision making over the last 2 years raises a lot of questions.   Pel inhereted a major rebuidling job due to Stan Heath's uneven classes, which isn't a good thing for a young coach who's learning on the job.  We knew Pel would have to do some on the job training when we hired him, and he will get next year to try and get this program headed back in the right direction.   I'm hoping like heck that he can, but I've seen too many red flags to feel really confident that it's going to happen.   We'll learn a lot about Pel and Jeff Long after their review.  Personally I think that Pel is putting too much faith and responsibility in Ostrom's hands.  Pel is depending on Ostrom to be what Pel was on Billy Donovan's staff, and Ostrom is hurting him more than he's helping him.   

Porkatarian out...

Marshfieldhog

Pork,

When will Pel and Long review? Sometime next week? Any chance Pel says no to getting rid of someone like Ostrum and Long gives him the hook? Any chance UK comes after Pel?

BigHog396

Quote from: JIHawg on March 14, 2009, 07:22:21 pm
Just an example, Mike Anderson at Mo brought in seven new players this year-and just won the Big 12 tournament.  The Auburn coach hasn't done badly either.
Anderson's top 5 players were all there last year, and he had a total of 7 players returning.  That's a pretty big difference.  I also guess you didn't notice that Auburn had a total of 10 Juniors and Seniors this year... but that wouldn't have anything to do with their resurgence.

Quote from: Porkatarian on March 14, 2009, 07:49:42 pm
When you go 2 - 15 in SEC games, people are going to ask why.  There is plenty of blame to go around, and Pel's decision making over the last 2 years raises a lot of questions.   Pel inhereted a major rebuidling job due to Stan Heath's uneven classes, which isn't a good thing for a young coach who's learning on the job.  We knew Pel would have to do some on the job training when we hired him, and he will get next year to try and get this program headed back in the right direction.   I'm hoping like heck that he can, but I've seen too many red flags to feel really confident that it's going to happen.   We'll learn a lot about Pel and Jeff Long after their review.  Personally I think that Pel is putting too much faith and responsibility in Ostrom's hands.  Pel is depending on Ostrom to be what Pel was on Billy Donovan's staff, and Ostrom is hurting him more than he's helping him.  

Porkatarian out...
So Pel is now guaranteed next season?

I thought the NCAA limited you to 5 new scholarships annually in BB.  Did Mike Anderson get a 2 player pass?  Also you have to wonder about the quality of a poster when you read that this wasn't a rebuilding year at Arkansas.  Our current coach may not be the person to take us back to the level we once were, but honestly, who can be sure of that right now.  In the past 40 years, we've had 2 successful BB coaches at Arkansas and both came from similiar mid-major schools like Pel did.  We've never hired a big time coach for our BB program in modern history.  The coach who came and left within hours should tell you something about our BB programs condition.  We are not much better off than when Sutton came in and started building.  We do have better facilities but we are in a much more competitive and media driven age.  Building this program will be slower than many expect.  We are so proud we have been in the NCAA tourny 3 or 4 years in a row until this year.  Thats true, but we got beat first game all but one of those times.  Guaranteed??????  Nothing is guaranteed.  If this NCAA investigation finds wrongdoing that is serious within this staff, I could see the entire group gone before next season.  If you look at the won/loss record, common sense says he gets another year or 2 to do better.  Instead of us setting and dreaming about the good ole days, lets look at what we really are right now.  We are a very young team with a couple of pretty players that appear to be solid citizens, a couple of pretty good players that seem to be border line thugs, and a couple of players that may one day be pretty good.  Our coach seems to hand out negative thought processes far more than postive ones and he may have very good reason for that.  At least his teams look like they would like to play a little BB which far exceeds the coach before him.  Truth is if Stan wasn't such a truly nice Guy, he should have been shipped for sure after year 3 and likely should have never been hired.  But you gotta admit, that elite 8 run he had sure bought him a reputation he didn't deserve.  I am not a Pel man.  I am a do the right thing man.  If this coaching group has broken NCAA rules of a major nature, let them go right now.  If they are knowingly allowiing our players to violate major rules, fire them all.  If its just a matter of a sorry program going through the pains it will go through to get better, we need to get out of the way and give it a bit more time.  Even if Pel can't coach a lick and can't recruit a lick, letting him go after basically one year of flying with his players is not polite, correct, or in the best interests of the University. 

Porkatarian

Quote from: Karma on March 14, 2009, 11:16:31 pm
So Pel is now guaranteed next season?

Pel will be our coach next season unless something drastically changes.

Porkatarian out...

Buck Ocean

I'm tire of the Dana Altman shine.  I'm glad he's not here, i didnt want the s.o.b. when we allegedly hired him.  I was SOO dissappointed.  When he said he was leaving I threw a block party with 21-gun salute.  I'm [CENSORED] thrilled he said there were problems here, he was boom! outta here.  I was the first to wave to the plane.
Think like a Jedi

Granny fan

I wish someone could explain to me, if Pel is staying and all the players stay, and Rob Evans is the only one who leaves, how is next year any different?  We still have the same "problem children," and the same "attitude" problems and the same chemistry problems.

Porkatarian

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on March 14, 2009, 07:54:02 pm
Pork,

When will Pel and Long review? Sometime next week? Any chance Pel says no to getting rid of someone like Ostrum and Long gives him the hook? Any chance UK comes after Pel?

Pel and Long will sit down for their review in the near future.

Pel's job is safe.  He will be our head coach next season.

Pel has told friends privately that there's NO way that he will fire Tom Ostrom.  Pel has already started a PM campaign to try and gain support for Ostrum.  Pel called Ostrum one of the top 5 asst coaches in the country last week on Lil's Bo's show.  Ostrom made an appearance on DTS on Tues.  Then one of the payboards ran a story talking about one of our players transferring if Ostrom were to leave, which isn't true at all.  Then Ostrom did the post game interview with Mike Nail after the Florida loss on Thursday night.

If Pel refuses to get rid of Ostrom, especially now that word is getting about about possible recruiting violations (see today's demozet), I think he really loses any wiggle room if we don't see signifigant improvement next season.

Finally, there's no way Kentucky comes after a coach who just went 2 - 15 in SEC play.

Porkatarian out...

bwbcpa

Quote from: Porkatarian on March 15, 2009, 09:05:38 am
Pel and Long will sit down for their review in the near future.

Pel's job is safe.  He will be our head coach next season.

Pel has told friends privately that there's NO way that he will fire Tom Ostrom.  Pel has already started a PM campaign to try and gain support for Ostrum.  Pel called Ostrum one of the top 5 asst coaches in the country last week on Lil's Bo's show.  Ostrom made an appearance on DTS on Tues.  Then one of the payboards ran a story talking about one of our players transferring if Ostrom were to leave, which isn't true at all.  Then Ostrom did the post game interview with Mike Nail after the Florida loss on Thursday night.

If Pel refuses to get rid of Ostrom, especially now that word is getting about about possible recruiting violations (see today's demozet), I think he really loses any wiggle room if we don't see signifigant improvement next season.

Finally, there's no way Kentucky comes after a coach who just went 2 - 15 in SEC play.

Porkatarian out...

Please clear something up for me? Isn't Ostrom the front guy to most of our recruits?