Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Couple of Interesting Statements in Wally Hall's Column Today

Started by WilsonHog, March 14, 2009, 08:16:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

"...it is highly doubtful Pelphrey's job is on the line if he takes care of off-season business."

"Whispers about the Arkansas program are Michael Washington also will see what his status is with the NBA.

And that there are chemistry problems between players and coaches alike.

That two of the three early signees still have academic work to do to be eligible for next season.

And lastly, former players, whom Jeff Long wisely wants to reconnect the program with, are concerned."

"...when he sits down with Long, it is expected the AD will have done his homework.

He will have strong suggestions, and Long is the boss, but a boss who wants Pelphrey to be all he can be, and the program, too."

http://www.wholehogsports.com/adg/254890

I especially like the notion of Long soliciting input from former Razorback players. Was it just last night that I said I'd like to know what guys like Moncrief, Mayberry, and McDaniel would say about our defensive effort this year? 

rzrbackrob

Good is the enemy of great

jackflash

WilsonHog I want coach Pelphrey to be successful as the RAZORBACK head coach. Having Long sat down and make suggestions, is exactly what should be done. I have no inside information at all, but I think they will be two assistant coaches replaced.

Hogeyeblind

The first comment resonated with me especially since I was told earlier in the week that Pel was on board with making 2 staff changes at seasons end.  Apparently now that may not be the case.

I dont see where Pel has any equity to challenge Long.

want2be

I also liked the way Corey Beck told the team he was embarrassed that they let Meeks break the record in scoring at BWA (at least that fired them up to win the Ga game) To bad we don't have a former player on staff in some capacity to keep some of these players on the straight and narrow road to success. And Wilson's comments on defense on another thread are dead on also. This team was out of shape and no driven to perform on D. And I know the lack of depth had allot to do with it also.

But I do like Long's approach to getting a plan in order. Everyone would like Pel to succeed, but there has to be a plan with specific goals.

Hogeyeblind

Wally's article reads like a Ken Hatfield, Danny Ford era season wrap up article hinting that Frank already had certain new assistants picked out for the head coach.

;)

mhuff

Look there has been straight out print - not whispers - that a couple of the recruits had grade problems. Half of Nolan's teams had grade problems etc. Also the defense is not half what I optimisticly thought before the season. The loss of McDonald had to hurt there. What happened to the full court presses and half court traps. Perhaps we didn't have enough quality people to They did not seem to be on the floor enough for SEC. If they are going to be here next year, they won't be as prepared as they should. Perhaps  other players are in the plans of the future. Regardless I am behind Pel and feel he deserves a legimate shot at getting a full complement of players. Unfortunately, we could not buy a big name coach. That and some high paying jobs for all the players plucking chickens would have gotten us over the top.

tahlahog

What does AD Long know about Basketball, I know he is probably a fan, but I thought he was more of a business man,  Does anyone know if he has any coaching experience in the past, what advice and coaching tips could he give, to improve the team and coaching? 
Quote from: WilsonHog on March 14, 2009, 08:16:27 am
"...it is highly doubtful Pelphrey's job is on the line if he takes care of off-season business."

"Whispers about the Arkansas program are Michael Washington also will see what his status is with the NBA.

And that there are chemistry problems between players and coaches alike.

That two of the three early signees still have academic work to do to be eligible for next season.

And lastly, former players, whom Jeff Long wisely wants to reconnect the program with, are concerned."

"...when he sits down with Long, it is expected the AD will have done his homework.

He will have strong suggestions, and Long is the boss, but a boss who wants Pelphrey to be all he can be, and the program, too."

http://www.wholehogsports.com/adg/254890

I especially like the notion of Long soliciting input from former Razorback players. Was it just last night that I said I'd like to know what guys like Moncrief, Mayberry, and McDaniel would say about our defensive effort this year? 

Razorod

Key word for next season:  IF

If Washington comes back
If Henry gets his act together
If Powell becomes eligible
If Pel upgrades his staff
If team chemistry gets better

Anymore ifs?
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Boarcephus

Pelphrey may be like Hatfield in that he will bow his neck and not get rid of an assistant.  All I know is if he truly feels his assistants are top notch and are not part of the problem and refuses to change any on them, he darned well better be right.

The honeymoon is over for him and in golfing lingo, no more mulligans.  He'll have to play it as it lies next  year.  I just don't see how we can improve if he changes nothing.  We'll see.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Marshfieldhog

If Pel refuses to deep six Ostrum then he deserves to get fired and would hope Long would show him the door and turn the program over to some adults.

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Chemistry - right handed coach, left handed point guard - it's deeper than that but do you think that is the chemistry problem Wally is referring to? I've been saying it all along, that they coach and his players are on different pages. Take a look at all time successful teams...think about Pat Riley and Magic Johnson being on the same page...Red Aurbach and Bob Cousy....Even Corey Beck and Nolan...a point guard has to be the coach on the floor....Fortson does whatever he wants whenever he wants. If what he's doing is what Pelphrey wants him to do, then Pelphrey is a fool and needs to go back to coaching 8th grade basketball somewhere. If Fortson is doing his own thing and Pelphrey can't control him, that is a problem, too.

Overtheroadtruckdriver

And blaming any of this on assistant coaches is ridiculous. Do you think if Nolan was coaching with those same assistants that anyone would be talking about firing assistant coaches.

FireFireCrouch

Oh god, please no more of this left handed nonsense. You've got to be kidding me.

I'll quote No Country for Old Men. "You can't make this stuff up. I'd dare you to try."

old hog

Quote from: Overtheroadtruckdriver on March 14, 2009, 10:10:07 am
And blaming any of this on assistant coaches is ridiculous. Do you think if Nolan was coaching with those same assistants that anyone would be talking about firing assistant coaches.
Yes.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 14, 2009, 10:01:32 am
Pelphrey may be like Hatfield in that he will bow his neck and not get rid of an assistant.  All I know is if he truly feels his assistants are top notch and are not part of the problem and refuses to change any on them, he darned well better be right.

The honeymoon is over for him and in golfing lingo, no more mulligans.  He'll have to play it as it lies next  year.  I just don't see how we can improve if he changes nothing.  We'll see.
I would bet you $500 Pel doesn't "bow his neck and not get rid of an assistant" if it is suggested he do so. Nothing indicates that Pel is in a state of mind or in a position to react that way. Terrible read of Pel on your part.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

heathtits

Quote from: Overtheroadtruckdriver on March 14, 2009, 10:10:07 am

Ridiculous? You do know who our head recruiter is right? You do know he tried to fist fight one of our players right?

I think its fair to say yes, they do deserve a share of the blame. If you don't know who I'm talking about, take a quick peaksy at my avatar.

WilsonHog

Quote from: tahlahog on March 14, 2009, 09:40:16 am
What does AD Long know about Basketball, I know he is probably a fan, but I thought he was more of a business man,  Does anyone know if he has any coaching experience in the past, what advice and coaching tips could he give, to improve the team and coaching? 

"And lastly, former players, whom Jeff Long wisely wants to reconnect the program with, are concerned."

hawgbawb

If the key players return we will be better next year. If we can add a couple of solid off-the-bench contributors to give the starters a blow it will help tremendously. The fresmen willl get stronger, more mature and smarter.

I don't see R. Clark getting to be much better a defender on the perimeter, but he can become a more prolific scorer. He needs to be to offset his defense.

Henry has a lot of upside potential, both offensviely and defensively. The key for him is will he mature?

Fortson will likely improve his assist to turnover ratio, and become more mature. He has lots of upside potential too.

Sanchez is a hard worker who will improve.  Ditto for Britt.
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

Arkapigdiesel

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 14, 2009, 10:43:57 am
"And lastly, former players, whom Jeff Long wisely wants to reconnect the program with, are concerned."

Beat me to it Wilson.

AD Long wants our athletic department to be THE best.  He will explore every avenue (including reaching out to past players) to ensure we reach the top; where we used to be and where we should be.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Long is a wise man.  Since the last 10 years or so can't be considered glory years he wants the old players to reconnect with the program and the fans to reconnect with them.  This would equal renewed interest and money for the program.  Old Players from the good times can be the best salesmen for fans, boosters, and recruits.  He knows this ship has not been in order for some time and it is much bigger than just Pel and the current problems.  The big picture has to be taken care of for the program to have long term success.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Porkatarian

Quote from: Razorod on March 14, 2009, 09:50:47 am

If Washington comes back

Anymore ifs?

If we can sign anyone during the late signing period?

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

Overtheroadtruckdriver

No, if anyone is to blame for all of the stuff that's happening, it's the head coach. It's not like there 1000 people that he's responsible for or anything.  If you add up all the coaches, grad assistants, players, and everything it's maybe 20. If players aren't listening to the coach and if coaches are getting into fistfights with players, and there's all this turmoil, I'd place the blame directly on John Pelphrey.  How did it get this out of control? If a coach is going to be fired, it should be Pelphrey who does it on his own...it shouldn't be about the AD sitting him down and talking about changes needing to be made and then the coach makes one or more of the assistants the scapegoat and then fires them to show that he is going to clean up the program. If anyone is going to be fired, Pelphrey should make the call right now, not after a meeting with Long.

Let's face it. John Pelphrey is a nice guy. He's probably the kind of guy you can see coaching a high school team and teaching world history three periods per day and going to Kiwanis each year to talk about the local team. There's a lot of guys around just like him. Just because he's likable doesn't mean he has what it takes to be a successful division one coach. In fact, if you think about all the coaches out there in the world, how many of them can become a coach who builds a successful program that is sustained over time, like a John Wooden, Dean Smith, a Bob Knight, a Nolan Richardson, or even a Gary Williams, someone who has a high level of success for a period of time but maybe has trouble sustaining that level.

Up to this point, Pelphrey has not really shown that he possesses the characteristics that it takes to build a solid program, much less the type of program that hog fans want, which is a top 10 program year in year out with final four appearences every 5 years or so. Maybe he will, maybe he won't. Honestly he hasn't had a lot of time to do that, but right now it seems like, after two years, there's a lot of chaos and uncertainty surrounding the program. Right not a fairly high percentage think he should be gone while others think he needs more time. I don't think you could give him a much higher grade than a C- at best for what he's done for the program over two years. If we had a great recrutiing class coming in or a real blue chip prospect out there on the horizon his grade might be higher. As it stands, I don't see much changing next year and we will all be sittiing her next year debating his future, as if our opinion matters to any of the decision makers out there.

lovetthog1

Yeah I liked that part of the article also. It is good to see the former players involved in the program. I hope Jeff does the right thing.

bwbcpa

I'd like to see one of those former players on staff, no matter who he has to dump to get him.  ;)

lovetthog1

One more point of interest for me in todays paper. BCG is on the hotseat after only two seasons. I'm curious about how many UK fans think he just needs more time ? Will Kentucky look bad for firing their coach so quickly ? If UK fires BCG wouldnt that take some of the heat off us if we do the same with JP ?

Overtheroadtruckdriver

As far as reconnecting players with the program to improve the program...he can have the entire court surrounded with former players at every game. They can come to booster dinners, talk up the Razorbacks at the Rotary Club, be the greatest ambassadors for the program that we've ever seen. It's going to do little to impact what plays we run (or don't run), how to nut up on defense, or whether or not our players listen to the coach. This is like putting a band-aid on a gunshot wound. Might make everyone feel better and might make things not look so messy, but it's not going to help what going on inside.

BigHog396

Quote from: hawgbawb on March 14, 2009, 10:50:29 am
I don't see R. Clark getting to be much better a defender on the perimeter, but he can become a more prolific scorer. He needs to be to offset his defense.
So what is supposedly wrong with Clarke's D?  He is just as quick as basically anyone else on the team, plays D on his toes, and doesn't get burned any more often than Welsh, Fortson, or Britt.

donewithdale

So we want our AD and former players dictating to our head coach how to run his program?  That is stupid as hell.  If Pel isn't trusted to run the program the right way as DVH and Petrino are, he should be fired. 

1HourToHogville

Quote from: hawgbawb on March 14, 2009, 10:50:29 am
If the key players return we will be better next year. If we can add a couple of solid off-the-bench contributors to give the starters a blow it will help tremendously. The fresmen willl get stronger, more mature and smarter.

Henry has a lot of upside potential, both offensviely and defensively. The key for him is will he mature?

Fortson will likely improve his assist to turnover ratio, and become more mature. He has lots of upside potential too.

Sanchez is a hard worker who will improve.  Ditto for Britt.

I don't understand comments about R Clarke and his defense.  Check out his stats on steals (all the guards are nearly equal) but then compare his steals to turnovers.  I would say he plays solid defense and the guards with more speed and quickness are not playing up to their ability.  We certainly don't have any Alvin Robertsons or Darrel Walker types defensively.

donewithdale

Quote from: oklahog on March 14, 2009, 12:50:04 pm
I don't understand comments about R Clarke and his defense.  Check out his stats on steals (all the guards are nearly equal) but then compare his steals to turnovers.  I would say he plays solid defense and the guards with more speed and quickness are not playing up to their ability.  We certainly don't have any Alvin Robertsons or Darrel Walker types defensively.

Oh, but our former players are critiquing our defense for us.  A team with small guards and poor post defense with no SF much of the time and a starting PF with a vertical of maybe 6 inches and poor footspeed was supposed to look like the Hogs of the early 80's or 90's. 

Razorod

i like the idea of connecting to the legends of the past. we have one national championship and it was like we pretended they didn't exist for awhile. that was unhealthy and indicative of how dysfunctional our program had become. but, that doesn't mean they should be calling the shots or influencing decisions.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Boarcephus

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 14, 2009, 10:23:15 am
I would bet you $500 Pel doesn't "bow his neck and not get rid of an assistant" if it is suggested he do so. Nothing indicates that Pel is in a state of mind or in a position to react that way. Terrible read of Pel on your part.

Not taking that bet. Pelphrey is in no position to play hardball and if he's asked to make changes in his staff, he's a fool if he doesn't and he knows that.  2-15 has a way of changing how a coach acts in front of the guy who can fire him.  He'll do whatever Long suggests he do in order to save his job.  If by some strange event he does bow his neck, keep his assistants and do it his way he deserves to lose his job because he's an idiot.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Seconds

Quote from: Razorod on March 14, 2009, 09:50:47 am

If Washington comes back

Anymore ifs?

If we don't just Steven Hill
Quote from: Albert Einswine on March 20, 2009, 03:37:25 pm
I believe that Obama could set an orphanage on fire and spray down the children with gasoline as they ran to escape it and you and Veritas would praise him for the beauty and quality of the fire.

Rib Meat

Do we really know Ostrum is a bad coach?
  Are we recruiting the right "type" of kid?
  Have you Heard Henry interviewed? 12 years of public school, and almost a year of college. Yet he has no clue about our native language. We need to recruit quality young men who can also play ball.

want2be

Quote from: donewithdale on March 14, 2009, 12:43:15 pm
So we want our AD and former players dictating to our head coach how to run his program?  That is stupid as hell.  If Pel isn't trusted to run the program the right way as DVH and Petrino are, he should be fired. 

Maybe Long is trying to understand and figure out ways to HELP Pel so he doesn't lose his job......It may not necessarily be dictating as it is pro active discussion and constructive criticism........no necessarily stupid. This is proabably the first time Long and Pel have been at this specific crossroad.
There are many factors to be considered.

passinghog

Quote from: Rib Meat on March 14, 2009, 01:08:28 pm
  Do we really know Ostrum is a bad coach?
  Are we recruiting the right "type" of kid?
  Have you Heard Henry interviewed? 12 years of public school, and almost a year of college. Yet he has no clue about our native language. We need to recruit quality young men who can also play ball.

"Are we recruiting the right type of kid?"

that was the most important thing in your post...
With Ostrum, we aren't even getting our foot in with any recruits. He's dropping the ball with all types of kid.

Smokehouse

So, if Evans is out and we get rid of Ostrum too, assuming we replace one of them with a 94 Hog, who do we go after for the second vacant spot?
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

hoglady

Quote from: donewithdale on March 14, 2009, 12:43:15 pm

I agree with you.
Frank Broyles meddled in the inner workings of all our head coaches and I thought that's why noone wanted to coach here.
Former player does not = good coach.
How'd former player Houston Nutt work out for us???
Anyone care to have former player Sidney Moncrief's input into how to run a program after his bang up coaching job at UALR??
Either let Pel run his program or fire him.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

chiefsfan

Quote from: Hogeyeblind on March 14, 2009, 08:27:40 am
The first comment resonated with me especially since I was told earlier in the week that Pel was on board with making 2 staff changes at seasons end.  Apparently now that may not be the case.

I dont see where Pel has any equity to challenge Long.

He can challenge because he could probably get another job if he wanted it, and it most likely would be able to pay more then we are paying him

on a side note, I do not like the idea of long meddling in the programs...
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

hoglady

Why do most of you have so much faith in Long?
What has he done except have Petrino fall in his lap after offering the job to Bowden and Grobe?
If Bowden had accepted would ya'll be singing Long's praises?
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

WilsonHog

Quote from: hoglady on March 14, 2009, 04:19:10 pm
Why do most of you have so much faith in Long?

Why do some have so much faith in Pel? What has he done except go 23-12 with Heath's players and coach a team this year that lost 15 of its last 17 games?

As for reconnecting with players, I'll make two points.

(1) I don't know the players Long has talked with. However, who in the Razorback Nation has given more to our basketball program than guys like Sidney Moncrief, Marvin Delph, Ron Brewer, Corliss Williamson, Joe Kleine, etc.? Answer: no one, short of Eddie Sutton and Nolan Richardson. I'm glad to see Long talking with them.

(2) There is one helluva lot of distance between Long talking with someone and Long being "dictated to." I have heard nothing to suggest the latter has happened or will happen. The facts are (a) that Long did not hire John Pelphrey, and (b) that Jeff Long is new to Arkansas basketball. It's perfectly reasonable that he would get input from people about Pel and about our program.

Granny fan

Quote from: bwbcpa on March 14, 2009, 10:56:21 am
I'd like to see one of those former players on staff, no matter who he has to dump to get him.  ;)

You and me both!!!!

jdlew

Quote from: rzrbackrob on March 14, 2009, 08:25:20 am
Proof Wally is reading Hogville  :D

Exactly......hogville has been on this for weeks.......I NEVER read Wally.....I dropped wally back in the 80's......when he wanted to fire Nolan and hire Mike Newell..........he loved Newell and the Ole Miss basketball team

HoopS

Long hired the coach that has Pitt as a power in the best conference in the country.

hoglady

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 14, 2009, 04:35:25 pm
Why do some have so much faith in Pel? What has he done except go 23-12 with Heath's players and coach a team this year that lost 15 of its last 17 games?

As for reconnecting with players, I'll make two points.

(1) I don't know the players Long has talked with. However, who in the Razorback Nation has given more to our basketball program than guys like Sidney Moncrief, Marvin Delph, Ron Brewer, Corliss Williamson, Joe Kleine, etc.? Answer: no one, short of Eddie Sutton and Nolan Richardson. I'm glad to see Long talking with them.

(2) There is one helluva lot of distance between Long talking with someone and Long being "dictated to." I have heard nothing to suggest the latter has happened or will happen. The facts are (a) that Long did not hire John Pelphrey, and (b) that Jeff Long is new to Arkansas basketball. It's perfectly reasonable that he would get input from people about Pel and about our program.

I never said I had faith in Pelphrey. But I don't want to see Long turn into Frank Broyles. Pelphrey should be allowed to sink or swim. He's been mostly sinking I will agree, although I would like to see him have one more year. I hate to see an AD force a firing of an assistant (except for NCAA violations). Pelphrey's responsible for the program, if Long thinks he can't right the ship then fire him. I don't like the idea of hiring a former player as an assistant coach just because of who they are. Doesn't mean they can coach a lick.

WilsonHog

Quote from: hoglady on March 14, 2009, 05:01:53 pm
I don't like the idea of hiring a former player as an assistant coach just because of who they are. Doesn't mean they can coach a lick.

I agree.

But I do like the idea of soliciting input from former players.

chiefsfan

Quote from: HoopS on March 14, 2009, 04:48:35 pm
Long hired the coach that has Pitt as a power in the best conference in the country.

and he hired Dave Wandstatt for Football.   thats a big whiff
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

HoopS

It may be a whiff, but when he was hired, he was fresh out of the NFL and some thought it was a big get for them. 

jdlew

Quote from: HoopS on March 14, 2009, 05:11:04 pm
It may be a whiff, but when he was hired, he was fresh out of the NFL and some thought it was a big get for them. 

Are you sure about thr BB coach............... someone on  here the other day said he was hired just before Long took over......I'm not saying your wrong......just what was posted the on here