Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I have complete faith in Jeff Long...

Started by Porkatarian, March 09, 2009, 04:51:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Porkatarian

The future looks bright for our basketball program.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

Marshfieldhog

Is Pel or Ostrum toast? I don't have much faith right now.

The Hogfather

Boarcephus

I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Ross U (HDHF)

Quote from: Porkatarian on March 09, 2009, 04:51:25 pm

Porkatarian out...

I honestly don't even care what it is that has you confident; just the fact that you are confident makes me feel better about the situation.  I'm sure we'll all know soon enough.

grayhawg

The_Bionic_Pig

I think its a asst. coach who is looking to retire... (guess)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

UAfan

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on March 09, 2009, 05:01:51 pm
Rob Evans?  How would this help our program.  Porkatarian, can you not elaborate?

The Hogfather

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on March 09, 2009, 05:01:51 pm

Evans is retiring and that's what makes Pork have faith in Jeff Long?  Hmmmm....

I guess I see the connection.  ???

Marshfieldhog

Evans retiring doesn't help, now Pel can go hire another of his good buddies. Sounds like HDN jr. to me.

UAfan

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on March 09, 2009, 05:05:00 pm
Evans retiring doesn't help, now Pel can go hire another of his good buddies. Sounds like HDN jr. to me.
Please don't ever compare Pel to HDN.

I'm sorry, but I'm totally against these types of posts.  If you have something that a "source" told you than tell us or don't post something like this.  If its an opinion than let us know that.

Hawgon

Unless Pork is joking or being sarcastic, I think he may be talking about something a little more dramatic than an assistant coaching change.

Marshfieldhog

Pel not getting SEC level assistants compares very much so to HDN in that regard.

jst01

sigh.

Interpreting the Jump Ball forum is like trying to decipher Egyptian Hieroglyphics with only one scroll of papyrus, while drunk, with one eye closed.

UAfan

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on March 09, 2009, 05:08:53 pm
Pel not getting SEC level assistants compares very much so to HDN in that regard.
Evans is arguably the best assistant in the conference, and we don't even know if thats what Pork is talking about.  Go away.

mathhog

Porkatarian out...

look, you have some of the best inside information, but what's the point of this vague stuff? this is the reason there are a million joke posts saying "i know something but i won't tell you".

your post could mean, all the recruits for 2010 are eligible, a sean sutton like asst coach is coming on to replace a bad apple assistant, that washington is staying, that we got one of the florida JUCO diamonds in the rough, that pel did something in the locker room to fix the situation.... it could mean anything (well, anything except 'pel will be fired and coach k is coming here', because the ad that tried to hire tommy bowden would never land anyone worthy of canning pel).

give us more details please!!!!!!!!!

The Hogfather

Quote from: mathhog on March 09, 2009, 05:13:32 pm
look, you have some of the best inside information, but what's the point of this vague stuff? this is the reason there are a million joke posts saying "i know something but i won't tell you".

your post could mean, all the recruits for 2010 are eligible, a sean sutton like asst coach is coming on to replace a bad apple assistant, that washington is staying, that we got one of the florida JUCO diamonds in the rough, that pel did something in the locker room to fix the situation.... it could mean anything (well, anything except 'pel will be fired and coach k is coming here', because the ad that tried to hire tommy bowden would never land anyone worthy of canning pel).

give us more details please!!!!!!!!!

I knew I wasn't the only one that thought this way...

jkstock04

Porkatarian out...
LOL...oh yeah?  How do you figure?  No matter what happens I still see next season as another bust.  By future do you mean 3-5 years down the road?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

March 09, 2009, 05:54:03 pm #18 Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 06:24:14 pm by Karma
Reading the tea leaves, Jeff Long doesn't have anything to do with Washington staying, JUCO's commiting or even asst coaches. The AD hires and fires head coaches.

Porkatarian

Quote from: UAfan on March 09, 2009, 05:03:20 pm
Rob Evans?  How would this help our program.  Porkatarian, can you not elaborate?

I think Rob Evans is the best coach on our staff including Pelphrey.  Unfortunately, I don't expect Evans will be back next season.

I was listening to the Pelphrey interveiw on Lil Bo's show today, and I almost ran off the road when Pelphrey called Tom Ostrum "one of the top 5 best young asst coaches in the country."

Porkatarian out...

RazorHawg16

Quote from: Porkatarian on March 09, 2009, 06:04:12 pm
I think Rob Evans is the best coach on our staff including Pelphrey.  Unfortunately, I don't expect Evans will be back next season.

I was listening to the Pelphrey interveiw on Lil Bo's show today, and I almost ran off the road when Pelphrey called Tom Ostrum "one of the top 5 best young asst coaches in the country."

Porkatarian out...
So how is the future looking bright??

mathhog

Quote from: Karma on March 09, 2009, 05:54:03 pm
Reading the tea leaves, Jeff Long doesn't have anything to do with Washington staying, JUCO's commiting or even asst coaches. The AD hires and firest head coaches.

That scares me then.  This AD we have offered the football job to Tommy Bowden, who turned us down.

Then our AD went to Wake and offered to Jim Grobe, who also turned us down.

Then our AD wouldn't pay the $7M buyout for TUbberville (rightfully so, yet the guy we were considering isn't coaching anywhere 1 year later... go figure)

...And then Petrino called US.

Sad to say, I DON'T have blind faith in Jeff Long when it comes to hiring.  If he's going to fire Pel after 2 years, I say to heck with him.

donewithdale

March 09, 2009, 06:14:32 pm #22 Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 06:19:17 pm by donewithdale
Quote from: Marshfieldhog on March 09, 2009, 05:08:53 pm

Evans is an SEC level asst.  Give the man a damn chance to replace Evans before condemning with BS like comparing him to Nutt. 

rzrbackrob

I had complete faith in JFB and look how that turned out towards the end.
Good is the enemy of great

Boarcephus

Quote from: mathhog on March 09, 2009, 06:11:38 pm
That scares me then.  This AD we have offered the football job to Tommy Bowden, who turned us down.

Then our AD wouldn't pay the $7M buyout for TUbberville (rightfully so, yet the guy we were considering isn't coaching anywhere 1 year later... go figure)

Sad to say, I DON'T have blind faith in Jeff Long when it comes to hiring.  If he's going to fire Pel after 2 years, I say to heck with him.

the old saying about a blind hog and an acorn pops into mind when we discuss Long's hiring successes.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Porkatarian

March 09, 2009, 06:23:03 pm #25 Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 06:24:58 pm by Porkatarian

Wrong, Bowden never turned us down.  His contract wasn't approved and we allowed him to say that publicly to save face.

Wrong again.  Grobe only backed out when a certain "booster" tried to force a certain "offensive coordinator" on him.  I would have ran too.

Strike 3! Tuberville was our #1 target.  There were serious negotiations about who would control certain aspects of our program.  John White stepped in and vetoed the buyout of his contract at Auburn. 

As soon as we became aware that Petrino was interested and available, Long pounced on him like a jungle cat, and flew him in that very night for an announcement.

Porkatarian out...

UAfan

So basically Pork you're just suspecting that Evans will be gone, I fail to see the connection with this and your first post.  Is there more?

board

Comer carne de cerdo chimpancé como jugar gatito gato y el ratón Mickey.

Dijo largo en busca de nuevo entrenador.

ruarealhogfan

Didn't Petrino actually turn us down & then we were fixing to offer Muschamp & Petrino called back & said he had decided to accept the job?

UAfan

Oliver

Porkatarian out...

Does this post need a SARCASM tag?  I don't know of anything that leads me to believe it doesn't.

RazorHawg16

idiotghos

Quote from: RazorHawg16 on March 09, 2009, 07:03:31 pm
care to share pork?

Of course not.  Then he'd be on the record as actually predicting something.

Duckhog89

lovetthog1

Porkatarian out...

Ha.. whatever.
Seacrest out lol

Porkatarian

Quote from: RazorHawg16 on March 09, 2009, 07:03:31 pm
care to share pork?

I just trust that Jeff Long will make the right decision, if and when the time comes.  Jeff is committed to bringing back the glory days in basketball. 

Porkatarian out...

grayhawg

I guess we will know in a couple of weeks to a month.

mathhog

March 09, 2009, 07:54:44 pm #37 Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 07:56:37 pm by mathhog
Quote from: Duckhog89 on March 09, 2009, 07:20:06 pm
wow mathog epic fail..

um no, hes dead wrong about the 'pouncing like a jungle cat', and about grobe not turning us down (even he admitted grobe turned us down), but what am i supposed to do, respond and say 'nyah nyah no youre not'?  the mods on here seem to post vague generalities with a few choice adjectives and we are supposed to lap it up as 'inside info'.  i call bs.   what does this post even mean, "I have faith in jeff long"

jeff long is NOT firing pel this year.  there's not some double-secret meeting that finished today that will lead to pel's firing after the sect/postseason play is over.  nothing will change other than an assistant coach shakeup and the usual upset player transfers.  pel is in charge of this program, and jeff long isn't doing a dang thing about it in 2009.  "bank on it" from someone with inside info.

and again, i do NOT have complete faith in jeff long, he offered tommy bowden, jim grobe, and TT all/some (depending on who you believe) turned us down/were not accepted, before we lucked into petrino.  i imagine jeff long's short list goes something like: doc sadler, john brady, tubby smith.

Quote from: Porkatarian on March 09, 2009, 07:30:32 pm
Jeff is committed to bringing back the glory days in basketball.

i agree, and this is true, the glory days part.  but there won't be a 'you're fired' decision on pel in 2009. he'll still be the coach.

TNhawgfan

When I read the headline I really thought there was going to be some brand new info. Wrong... I haven't been teased this bad since high school. I'm really not looking forward to going through all the coaching drama again.
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

sirhog

Strictly a guess here but I think Pork is saying Long has a big time coach to take the job if Pel fails. Pel will get his opportunity with his guys. Either way is a win win for us. We win with Pel and all is good or we win with Long's guy and all is good. That is why the future looks bright.

mathhog

Quote from: sirhog on March 09, 2009, 07:56:25 pm
Strictly a guess here but I think Pork is saying Long has a big time coach to take the job if Pel fails. Pel will get his opportunity with his guys. Either way is a win win for us. We win with Pel and all is good or we win with Long's guy and all is good. That is why the future looks bright.

the Bill Self ship sailed years ago, and Cal isn't coming no way no how.  i'm curious who pork thinks the short list is, because i agree this is the most likely info from the original post...

elksnort

Baconator

Quote from: mathhog on March 09, 2009, 07:54:44 pm
um no, hes dead wrong about the 'pouncing like a jungle cat', and about grobe not turning us down (even he admitted grobe turned us down), but what am i supposed to do, respond and say 'nyah nyah no youre not'?  the mods on here seem to post vague generalities with a few choice adjectives and we are supposed to lap it up as 'inside info'.  i call bs.   what does this post even mean, "I have faith in jeff long"

jeff long is NOT firing pel this year.  there's not some double-secret meeting that finished today that will lead to pel's firing after the sect/postseason play is over.  nothing will change other than an assistant coach shakeup and the usual upset player transfers.  pel is in charge of this program, and jeff long isn't doing a dang thing about it in 2009.  "bank on it" from someone with inside info.

and again, i do NOT have complete faith in jeff long, he offered tommy bowden, jim grobe, and TT all/some (depending on who you believe) turned us down/were not accepted, before we lucked into petrino.  i imagine jeff long's short list goes something like: doc sadler, john brady, tubby smith.

i agree, and this is true, the glory days part.  but there won't be a 'you're fired' decision on pel in 2009. he'll still be the coach.

I would have no objections if Jeff Long hired Tubby Smith.

TomasPistola

Quote from: Baconator on March 09, 2009, 08:00:56 pm
I would have no objections if Jeff Long hired Tubby Smith.

Really? Then I hope you aren't one of the ones complaining about Pel's recruiting. Because that was a major knock on him over at UK.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

sirhog

Quote from: mathhog on March 09, 2009, 07:57:39 pm
the Bill Self ship sailed years ago, and Cal isn't coming no way no how.  I'm curious who pork thinks the short list is, because i agree this is the most likely info from the original post...
Like I said, I have no sources but maybe a guy like Jay Wright or Jamie Dixon. Why they would leave their current job I don't know but maybe it is someone like them. Our administration is different and we are a lot more lucrative than we were 2 years ago. Our fans are very passionate about our basketball team and we are very knowledgeable. Also, we are not so unreasonable like UNC, UK, or KU. We appreciate a team that plays hard and a coach that is improving the situation. It isn't something to pass time till football season like most schools. Regardless what happens, I appreciate Pel for taking the job when no one else would. I hope he turns it around and is the coach for years to come.

Baconator

Quote from: TomasPistola on March 09, 2009, 08:05:14 pm
Really? Then I hope you aren't one of the ones complaining about Pel's recruiting. Because that was a major knock on him over at UK.

His past two classes at Minnesota have been solid. Tubby's worst years at UK have been equivalent to Arkansas's best this decade.

The Truth

What a waste of time.

The Truth out....
The Truth hurts.

returntoglory

Hoggy1

You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin