Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What will happen

Started by UKhog1, March 08, 2005, 10:59:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

UKhog1

recruiting wise if heath is fired after the tournament.  not that i think it will happen but just a thought

imtad16

That isn't even in the realm of possibility. If he had his third straight losing season and did no better than 4-12 in conference again then I think we could be talking about it. But over three years we have had steady improvement. Along with some very close to breakthrough games... @LSU,Kentucky,Illinios(at times), Alabama,Miss. State, etc... I know there has been some chemistry trouble, but I think that has been blown, way, way, way out of proportion and things will return to normalcy soon. I am not saying we don't have any team Chemistry things to work out but as far as 2,3, or 4 players leaving and stuff like that I think is just speculation and that if people were around these guys everyday they would see that it isn't all it is made out to be. Like Bo Mattingly said today on his radio show that being around the team puts off a very different vibe than you read. Also not to say that we do still need to work out some position voids(pg and a shooter). I just really don't think this question is really worthy of talking about unless somthing crazy happens in the near future.

SonOfMud

I don't think recruiting would get that bad.  McCurdy isn't an instant fix at the point.  Even his coaches at his HS didn't think he was quick enough to play the point in HS.  Scary thought.  Cyrus is a kid you want to keep, sounds like he hits the boards hard.  And the Hogs lack that.  But a big time coach would probably be able to keep Cyrus and might cut McCurdy.  Maryland withdrew their offer, and so did almost every name school.  Not to bag on the kid, but don't want everyone to get their hopes up on this kid.  Could be another kid that needs to be a backup for a long while.
"They were like brothers to me, and when I say 'brother', I don't mean like a literal brother.  I mean it the way black people use it, which is more meaningful, I think."

Swino

Coach Heath has done nothing to prove that he can coach in the 3 years that he has been here.  He and his team have no identity and I don't see them having one next year either.  JFB would be making a smart business move in firing him this year instead of prolonging the agony and stoking the fire among fans that we don't have the right coaches in BOTH bball and football.

CarolinaHog1176

Quote from: Swino on March 09, 2005, 10:16:34 am
Coach Heath has done nothing to prove that he can coach in the 3 years that he has been here.

man, are you serious?  we started with nothing and he has improved our record in each of the 3 years that he's been here.  you can't just go from the bottom of the mountain to the top without making the hike (and hitting a few snags along the way).  good grief.  can we at least wait and see if he can continue to improve our team?  because I don't see any reason why he can't (since he's done it 3 years in a row already and our recruiting is as good as it's been in a long time).
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

SonOfMud

Quote from: CarolinaHog1176 on March 09, 2005, 12:50:40 pm
and our recruiting is as good as it's been in a long time).

Who in this years class do you view as making this a good class?
"They were like brothers to me, and when I say 'brother', I don't mean like a literal brother.  I mean it the way black people use it, which is more meaningful, I think."

CarolinaHog1176

we all know that SH and his crew didn't have a whole lot of scholarships to use this year, so our national ranking isn't going to be up there like it's been the past couple of years, but look at what he's done in only 3 years after starting from a complete stand-still.  there aren't too many programs in america that went 9-19 and 12-16 and were in the top 10 in recruiting (#3 in 2004 http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=910&CID=56012).

no, he's not perfect and yes, I do see things that I don't agree with on occasion but our team is very very young.  this is year 3... I say if we haven't seen substantial proof (i.e. wins, SEC championships, etc) that he's got this whole coaching thing figured out by year 5-6, then let's start talking about who to get next.  there's just no way to turn a program around that fast and have it consistently at the top without enduring some rebuilding years.  no way around it
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

Swino

I am dead serious Carolina.  The increase in our wins is due to the vast increase in talent, not to coaching skills.  Can you point to the identity of our team?  Rebounding, offense, defense, what is it?  It changes from game to game.  Heath grasping at straws and having a new line-up  every freaking game is a big give away that he has no idea what he is doing.  Ask yourself this, could other coahes do more with what Heath had this season?  You woiuld be lying to yourself if you said no.  I like Heath, he brought integregity and class back to our program, which is wonderful.  It is now time to get somebody who can add winning to the those great qualities. 
I'm tired of doing the Arkansas Razorback fan's patented "Wait and See" with our coaches.  How long must we wait?  Why wait.  And enough with the close games argument too, that only proves that our bball team can't win.  Time to find a winner to lead our basketball team, not wait and see if Heath has what it takes. 

RazorFlix

You're forgetting what Heath has brought here and instead focusing only on areas where he hasn't proven himself.  Being a good NCAA basketball coach includes both recruiting and coaching.  Stan Heath has proven himself to be an unbelievable recruiter,  but a average/below average coach SO FAR.  Other coaches may have been able to do more with the talent, but 95% of them would have failed in ever getting the talent here.  I'm still amazed at the recruits he's getting to goto Fayetteville over other programs perenially in the top 10.   In my opinion, the mere fact that Heath has brought this much talent to Fayetteville warrants him at least 1 more year.   Also, while he may have had talent this past year, the Hogs were very young.  Give him a shot w/ experienced big men.  If Heath is not able to do anything with talented AND experienced players, then we need to find another coach. 

Swino

Hard to get recruits to Fayetteville???  This isn't Fayetteville 1985 we are talking here, we have the best overall facilities in the country and with a top 5 bball arena in the country.  Nowin had you brainwashed, flix, we have just as good a chance to get a bball recruit to fayetteville as any other team in the country.  WE ARE THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS. 

Lets go out and spend the money on a proven winner, then we won't have to wait and see.   

tophawg19

swino you nailed  it jr's  & sophmores  at this time of year can no longer be young modica was all s.e.c  last year brewer this year. to much  talent not enough  results .look at roy williams turnaround at north carolina.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

JoeBobHog

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 09, 2005, 06:01:30 pm
swino you nailed it jr's & sophmores at this time of year can no longer be young modica was all s.e.c last year brewer this year. to much talent not enough results .look at roy williams turnaround at north carolina.

so, our talent is the same as north carolina?
"Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy."

The_Bionic_Pig

not in the SEC...not in the Nation but just the west.  That is behind Alabama, LSU & Mississippi St.  Don't believe me check the rankings for yourself the past 3 yrs.     Now I don't see either of the above schools worrying about getting a no#1 seed in the tourney and 2 are just a notch above being a bubble team.  Arkansas was 7 points from having a 21 Win/Loss record headed into the SEC tourney at this very moment (Kentucky, Mississippi, LSU) I just don't buy into the meltdown that has been habitual part of all the Razorback boards. 

By the way if Stan were to be let go you can say goodbye to several in-trigcal pieces of the current roster who main reason for attending Arkansas was Stan Heath & Thompson (ala Andre Igudolla - Nolan Richardson)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

tophawg19

it's hard to tell how much talent we do have .they don't work as a team but when you put  2 all s.e.c. players and 1 of the top freshmen on the floor the results should be clear . the s.e.c top talent is as good as  the a.c.c . doughty couldn't make winners out of that group .heath has a chance to have a top 5 class but can he win then i just hope so . he will have to get full control of the team  no matter what it takes .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

RazorFlix

swino you nailed it jr's & sophmores at this time of year can no longer be young modica was all s.e.c last year brewer this year. to much talent not enough results .look at roy williams turnaround at north carolina.

Compare the Hogs age(especially big men) w/ other teams.  Overall, 1 senior(who got hurt) and 3 juniors that were able to contribute as role players.  The 2 best players were a soph and a freshman.  You guys may be the type to not take excuses and always expect success, but come on, let's be realistic.  RELATIVE to other teams they are young.  Give Heath a chance w/ experienced big men and hopefully a good PG before we clamor for a new coach and start this cycle all over again. 

And about the recruiting:  Heath brought in top recruiting classes after seasons w/ poor records.  His name is again in the mix w/ top recruits.  I don't think there are many coaches out there that could do that w/ the lack of national success we have had the past few years.   He's also shown the ability to consistently bring in those type of classes.  If you want a top-15 team, our best chance is to hope that Heath improves his coaching rather than firing him and having a new coach come in and start w/ the disadvantage of using whatever is left behind.

Keep Heath = continued improvement w/ the amazing recruiting, hopefully able to do something w/ more experience

Fire Heath and bring in new coach = possible improvement, however just as likely regression..and as soon as any signs of struggle the same people clamoring for the firing of Heath and Nutt will come in and demand a new coach and the cycle starts all over again.

Pragmatic PiG

Quote from: RazorFlix on March 10, 2005, 09:47:47 am

Compare the Hogs age(especially big men) w/ other teams.  Overall, 1 senior(who got hurt) and 3 juniors that were able to contribute as role players.  The 2 best players were a soph and a freshman.  You guys may be the type to not take excuses and always expect success, but come on, let's be realistic.  RELATIVE to other teams they are young.  Give Heath a chance w/ experienced big men and hopefully a good PG before we clamor for a new coach and start this cycle all over again. 

And about the recruiting:  Heath brought in top recruiting classes after seasons w/ poor records.  His name is again in the mix w/ top recruits.  I don't think there are many coaches out there that could do that w/ the lack of national success we have had the past few years.   He's also shown the ability to consistently bring in those type of classes.  If you want a top-15 team, our best chance is to hope that Heath improves his coaching rather than firing him and having a new coach come in and start w/ the disadvantage of using whatever is left behind.

Keep Heath = continued improvement w/ the amazing recruiting, hopefully able to do something w/ more experience

does 'continued improvement' include beating glorified HS teams? or will it include beating some SEC schools, some of the good ones too....

BTW, there is nothing 'amazing' about the recruitment of dontell jefferson. it s nice to be optimistic but don't gloss over the mistakes

Biggus Piggus

March 10, 2005, 04:40:13 pm #16 Last Edit: March 10, 2005, 10:57:58 pm by Biggus Piggus
Quote from: CarolinaHog1176 on March 09, 2005, 12:50:40 pm
man, are you serious? we started with nothing and he has improved our record in each of the 3 years that he's been here.

Quote from: Swino on March 09, 2005, 03:28:35 pm
I am dead serious Carolina. The increase in our wins is due to the vast increase in talent, not to coaching skills.

I disagree with both of you.  Performance should have improved due to increased talent, but it has not.

Season records

2002-03: 9-19, 4-13 SEC.  3-12 vs. top 50, 2-4 vs. 51-100, 4-3 vs. 101+.  RPI 107, SOS 2nd toughest in the nation.  2-8 last 10 games.

2003-04: 12-16, 4-13 SEC.  2-12 vs. top 50, 2-3 vs. 51-100, 8-1 vs. 101+ (5-1 vs. 201+).  RPI 111, SOS 41st.  2-8 last 10 games.

2004-05: 18-12, 6-11 SEC.  1-8 vs. top 50, 2-2 vs. 51-100, 15-2 vs. 101+ (9-0 vs. 201+).  RPI 100, SOS 97th.  4-6 last 10 games.

Games against top 50 teams

2002-03: 15
2003-04: 14
2004-05: 9

Games against top 100 teams

2002-03: 21
2003-04: 19
2004-05: 13

Games against teams below 200

2002-03: 2
2003-04: 6
2004-05: 9
[CENSORED]!

The_Bionic_Pig

Barry Jordan
Larry Satchell
Rashard Sullivan
Wenbos Mukubu
Jamar Blackmon
Dionisio Gomez
JJ Sullinger
Rashard Sullivan
Jonathan Modica

Now sprinkle in Andre Igudolla & 2 that were coming here but followed Mike Anderson to UAB and you have your 2002/03' Arkansas Razorbacks Basketball Team if Nolan Richardson was not fired. 
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

RazorFlix

does 'continued improvement' include beating glorified HS teams? or will it include beating some SEC schools, some of the good ones too....

BTW, there is nothing 'amazing' about the recruitment of dontell jefferson. it s nice to be optimistic but don't gloss over the mistakes

You're right, Dontell Jefferson hasn't been able to make the transition to the SEC.  Heath failed in getting a good PG and took a gamble late on the JC transfer.  He is responsible for the signing, but every coach takes gambles on recruits...some pan out and others don't.  My statement about his 'amazing' recruiting was directed towards the consecutive highly ranked classes he's brought in and the fact he's continuing to recruit highly ranked players.

RebelliousHog

I agree that this is a young team. My concern is that this same young team played Ill. Kent. and Miss St. tough and then looks poor against one of the weak teams. If they are good enough to play like they did against those three teams, they should be good enough to handle weaker teams in the SEC.  I'm a little mystified.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Oklahawg

How many years in a row can you have a "young" team without someone crying "foul" and investigating? Are you young because you didn't develop the talent recruited earlier in your career? Are you young because of defections to the NBA or transfers? Are you young because you signed a large number of kids in the previous class, kids who have gobbled up more than their fair share of the playing time.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

sage_dragoon

I think you say 'young' meaning the best players/talent are freshman and sophomores. I believe our talent level goes like this 1. Ronnie 2. Darian 3. Olu 4. Charles 5. Steven 6. Jonathan 7. Eric...your splitting hairs with the others. I would say the team is still young with its most talented players being underclassmen. But it is still no excuse b/c we were young heaths first 2 years b/c Eric and Jonathan started as freshmen and sophomores as well. The problem(not a bad one) is that Heath's later recruits have come in a started over the more experienced players due to their talent level.
XBox360 - SageDragoon79

Swino

I don't see how anybody can make the argument that Heath can coach.  Unless they are not right in the head. 

We need a winner coaching our basketball team.

Amityvillehogger

He needs that book "coaching for idiots" ???
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

RazorFlix