Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nick Saban shows his class by not running up the score

Started by alabama Hawg, September 20, 2008, 10:45:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

alabama Hawg

Saban is considered a prick by most in the media, but I thought he showed some serious class late in the game when he shut it down.  I thought I saw him telling the OC to shut it down midway through the 4th qtr.  They could have put 60+ on us if he wanted to.

In similar situations against USC Pete Carroll exploited us for all he could. 

Hogdomer

Quote from: alabama Hawg on September 20, 2008, 10:45:25 pm
Saban is considered a prick by most in the media, but I thought he showed some serious class late in the game when he shut it down.  I thought I saw him telling the OC to shut it down midway through the 4th qtr.  They could have put 60+ on us if he wanted to.

Carroll will never let up on non-conference teams, especially SEC teams (see Arkansas and Auburn).  These are showcase games for him and it gives him a chance to counter the SEC is king hype from the media.  It's the mediocre Pac-10 teams that give them problems every year (Oregon State, Stanford, UCLA).

HogSophist

I thought that as well. The homer side in me wonders if he did so with an eye to the future, but that may just be wishful thinking...
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

elksnort

You are correct.

SwinedMelon

I like Saban... guy gets a bad wrap. I hate Alabama, though. I hate that they have him.
"Bar-keep, another go around again. One for me and whats-his-name, my new best friend!"

MrsHogInMo

I agree they did not run up the score.  Yes, it was lopsided but points scored in the first half do not count (in my book) towards score-runing-up.  Who doesn't score as many as they can the first half?  We had a few lucid moments where it looked like a big play back was impending.  They only outscored us 2 for 1 TD's in the second half.  I had good experiences with the Bama fans at the game as well.  They had good sportmanship overall.

hogfan@heart

Sure he did not run the score up; however, he did continue to send unnecessary blitzes late in the game when Tyler was in. I hope that Petrino remembers this when we have the opportunity to pour it on them.

nextlevel

Bob Stoops should take notes. Saban is starting to change my opinion towards him, it will take a bit more to get past that post UL-M press conference rant.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

kclvr

I'm glad he left LSU because if he hadn't they may have won another NC or 2.

texasssucks

September 20, 2008, 10:56:00 pm #9 Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 10:59:06 pm by texasssucks
I agree but I don't hate either of the Alabama teams, I respect them and this game makes be respect Saban.

nextlevel

Quote from: hogfan@heart on September 20, 2008, 10:52:40 pm
Sure he did not run the score up; however, he did continue to send unnecessary blitzes late in the game when Tyler was in. I hope that Petrino remembers this when we have the opportunity to pour it on them.

True, but the positive is Wilson got some real "live" reps. When the coach's review the film they will see how he reacted and can make any necessary adjustments.

There is a difference in not running up the score vs laying down, you can't blame him for not wanting to let us score.
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

texasssucks

hogfan@heart

Quote from: nextlevel on September 20, 2008, 10:57:03 pm
True, but the positive is Wilson got some real "live" reps. When the coach's review the film they will see how he reacted and can make any necessary adjustments.

There is a difference in not running up the score vs laying down, you can't blame him for not wanting to let us score.

I totally agree that it is good for Tyler to see some real action. I just think it is somewhat poor taste to be going after the QB like that when the game has clearly been decided. He could drop the guys into coverage and not "lay down."

OklaU

Quote from: nextlevel on September 20, 2008, 10:54:46 pm
Bob Stoops should take notes. Saban is starting to change my opinion towards him, it will take a bit more to get past that post UL-M press conference rant.

Please.
"Just because you had the last word, doesn't make it anymore true."

nextlevel

Quote from: OklaU on September 20, 2008, 11:00:13 pm
Please.

About what, how many teams has OU faced where they game is decided by halftime yet they still try to hang a hundred on them?

ell oh ell

clutch

Running up the score dosen't bother me as much as it does most. I think it is more embarassing when teams have to "lay down" for you. I always felt like it is your job to stop them, not their job to stop for you. I do see why some people would get upset by it though. This is just how I have always felt about it.

nextlevel

Quote from: hogfan@heart on September 20, 2008, 10:59:05 pm
I totally agree that it is good for Tyler to see some real action. I just think it is somewhat poor taste to be going after the QB like that when the game has clearly been decided. He could drop the guys into coverage and not "lay down."

I can agree with that as well, but in some twisted sort of way I like seeing Wilson face the same situations Dick was facing. Wilson looked good for a true freshmen getting his first collegiate snaps.

ell oh ell

OklaU

Quote from: nextlevel on September 20, 2008, 11:01:31 pm
About what, how many teams has OU faced where they game is decided by halftime yet they still try to hang a hundred on them?

What Quarter did Joey Hazle (the crapy back-up QB) come in during the most recent two blow-outs?
"Just because you had the last word, doesn't make it anymore true."

razorbacker231

seriously, what is the big deal?  i mean i get it, but really.

anyone see how georgia was undefeated and still dropped in the polls?  lets face it, if you got 4 bcs teams undeafeated at the end of the season, the 2 going to the championship game are

1.  team with toughest schedule,  OR
"
2.  teams with most dominant wins.  look when auburn was undeafeted, and never played...

i got a hunch, and this is just a hunch, but i bet alot of the peops here, crying about all the coaches doing it, are gonna be extatic when BP has some extremely dominant wins in the not so distant future

tlmack

I still dislike Saban or satan as he is called in Miami and LSU

spiritof92

It's never a good idea to run up the score on a team in the same division that you play in.  It would serve as extra motivation the next season for the opponent.  Now out of conference, that's a different story.

nextlevel

Quote from: OklaU on September 20, 2008, 11:06:01 pm
What Quarter did Joey Hazle (the crapy back-up QB) come in during the most recent two blow-outs?

So your answering a question with a question.
So....
What did OU prove by hanging 52 on UT-Chattanooga in 08?
What did they prove by hanging 54 on Utah St in 07?
What did they prove by hanging 79 on North Texas in 07?
What did they prove by hanging 62 on Tulsa in 07?
What did they prove by hanging 59 on Middle Tenn in 06?

ell oh ell

MrsHogInMo

September 20, 2008, 11:31:05 pm #22 Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 06:25:51 am by MrsHogInMo
[[/quote]
Quote from: razorbacker231 on September 20, 2008, 11:08:29 pm
seriously, what is the big deal?  i mean i get it, but really.

anyone see how georgia was undefeated and still dropped in the polls?  lets face it, if you got 4 bcs teams undeafeated at the end of the season, the 2 going to the championship game are

1.  team with toughest schedule,  OR
"
2.  teams with most dominant wins.  look when auburn was undeafeted, and never played...

i got a hunch, and this is just a hunch, but i bet alot of the peops here, crying about all the coaches doing it, are gonna be extatic when BP has some extremely dominant wins in the not so distant future

That argument might hold some water if Ohio State hadn't gotten to the last  2 NC games.

rzrbaxfan

The last time Bama came to town (Shula was still their coach), the players yapped with the fans during the game. 

This time around, they acted like they've been there before.  I worried that they would talk some crap after building the lead, but they didn't.  I was impressed with the order on the sidelines and how the players carried themselves.  Like Saban or not, that was a well coached team.

KY Hog Man

I have read several articles and listened to some interviews of Saban this past week.  I truly believe he has some level of compassion/respect for what Petrino went through at Atlanta and for all the work he is currently having to go through at Arkansas.   

donewithdale

Saban left Wilson in late 3rd qtr up 42-7 and had him throwing downfield.  And it wasn't like our D didn't get shots in on him.  It was stupid considering they have to play UGa this week and have everything to play for. 

31to6

Quote from: donewithdale on September 20, 2008, 11:53:00 pm
Saban left Wilson in late 3rd qtr up 42-7 and had him throwing downfield.  And it wasn't like our D didn't get shots in on him.  It was stupid considering they have to play UGa this week and have everything to play for. 
As ** as JPW played, he needed the practice.

'bama crushed us mercilessly, but Wilson was not very good at all.

Perhaps Saban left him in because he knows that Georgia won't let him rip 80 yard runs and score multiple defensive TDs.

Khallos

I really believe that in the future coaches like Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops and Pete Carroll should make sure that they recruit one-star backups so that when they are blowing teams out in the third quarter and they put in the 2nd team that they ensure at least a partial comeback by the losing team.

/sarcasm

But really, no team should be faulted for trying to score more even when they are ahead by substantial margin. Sometimes it's not the best idea because you don't want to give the opposing team bulletin board material for next year, but it isn't "wrong" or "immoral" for the team to do so, and any media outlet that says so is just mad because their ratings PLUMMET during blowouts.

clutch

Quote from: Khallos on September 21, 2008, 12:36:32 am
But really, no team should be faulted for trying to score more even when they are ahead by substantial margin. Sometimes it's not the best idea because you don't want to give the opposing team bulletin board material for next year, but it isn't "wrong" or "immoral" for the team to do so, and any media outlet that says so is just mad because their ratings PLUMMET during blowouts.

I agree. You came to play 4 qtrs of football, you have every right to play all 4 qtrs.

razorbacker231

Quote from: MrsHogInMo on September 20, 2008, 11:31:05 pm
[
That argument might hold some water of Ohio State hadn't gotten to the last  2 NC games.

would you elaborate?  they run the score up on lesser opponents and get into a game that they probably dont belong in.  that proves my point exactly.  they run score up and look better than they actually are.  getting them into a game, they dont belong in, but, certanly want to be in.

rzrbcksooie

Quote from: HogSophist on September 20, 2008, 10:50:25 pm
I thought that as well. The homer side in me wonders if he did so with an eye to the future, but that may just be wishful thinking...
haha... i think that is some wishful thinking... my guess is he didnt want to get any players hurt or show his opponents anything that wasnt necessary?

spiritof92

I don't believe anyone has to worry about Ohio State running up the score much this year.

Beaverfever

I thought about that too.  Saban could have scored 60+ points easy and took it easy on us. 

Brownie Tuggle

In Pete Carroll's defense. I'd beat the brakes off of a SEC School every chance I got at USC. Makes it easier to get in the BCS Championship. But aint it the other teams job to stop the romp? Running the score up on someone isnt classles. It sends a clear message of you dont need to be messing with us! There's nothing better than beating someone 70 to 6 and lying to him in the name of class and sportsmanship after the game by saying "GOOD GAME"!!!!!  Kick people while there down! Skull drag them. They are the enemy and they deserve to be punished severly!!!!!!!

Brownie Tuggle

Quote from: clutch on September 21, 2008, 01:13:27 am
I agree. You came to play 4 qtrs of football, you have every right to play all 4 qtrs.

+1 for you! Kick them to sleep every chance you get. Take no prisoners. Beat the brakes off of them!

MrsHogInMo

Quote from: razorbacker231 on September 21, 2008, 01:18:49 am
would you elaborate? 

I said that because Ohio State has gotten to the NC game two years in a row without having either the toughest schedule OR the most dominant wins.  In my opinion, anyway.

I didn't mean anything against the Hogs.  Yes, I will be ecstatic when the winning comes and it won't be long!

Steef

Quote from: MrsHogInMo on September 20, 2008, 10:52:25 pm
I agree they did not run up the score.  Yes, it was lopsided but points scored in the first half do not count (in my book) towards score-runing-up.  Who doesn't score as many as they can the first half?  We had a few lucid moments where it looked like a big play back was impending.  They only outscored us 2 for 1 TD's in the second half.  I had good experiences with the Bama fans at the game as well.  They had good sportmanship overall.

Well said. And thanks for sharing about the fans.

I've never hated Bama, either. Or Saban.

(Don't much care for Miles, though. But that's for another thread).

I agree that Saban shut it down. When you consider that the BCS computers actually reward lopsided scores, it was a pretty classy thing to do.

Quote from: hogfan@heart on September 20, 2008, 10:52:40 pm

They DID blitz Tyler. You're right.

But preventing US from scoring isn't the same thing as running up MORE points for themselves.

It's competition. Keeping us from scoring is their job.

toshortrock

i'm a hog,but its really not saban ;s job to not run the score up,if u know what i mean
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

94 Hawg

I thought Saban & Bama were classy, we had a few bama fans nearby and they were top notch as well as the ones I spoke to leaving the game. I'm not a saban fan per se, but I agree he throttled back in the 3rd quarter after that quick td. They played flawlessly with their first string in the game.
good team
Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

El Puerco

Do you feel he didn't run up the score because they kept it on the ground?  That's just smart football with a lead. Moreover, it was fairly clear that they had their best chance of scoring just running off tackle. Seemed like they busted one out of three to the house. It sure aint like they had a problem sending chin-busting blitzes on our freshman second QB

Hogs-n-Roses

94 Hawg

Quote from: El Puerco on September 21, 2008, 07:34:09 am
Do you feel he didn't run up the score because they kept it on the ground?  That's just smart football with a lead. Moreover, it was fairly clear that they had their best chance of scoring just running off tackle. Seemed like they busted one out of three to the house. It sure aint like they had a problem sending chin-busting blitzes on our freshman second QB
you cant put kids in the game and tell them not to play hard. i suspect most of that defense wilson faced were second string as well.
~ Will Rogers

Chad In Real Life

some would say 49 was running up the score but you cant blame bama when they're just simply running the ball and we're giving up 30-50-60- and 80 yard runs.

However, ive never been on the side of the argument where I think you should call off the dogs. Games are meant for you to run your offense, learn, and get into the end zone. Its the job of the other team to play defense.
Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless.

pablo_escobar

your're out of your mind. Pete  couldve had 1000 yards of total offense  and scored 90 points had he wanted to. He didnt. PS glad you can read lips on the sideline. 

hognc2010

I believe we have a coach who is respected among the top elite coaches.  When that happens I think they play each other differently than they do a coach who isn't quite up to the caliber to join the elite club.

What I see is the great coaches looking ahead at who will join in the elite club.
They want the best up there so it makes it fun for them.  These elite coaches aren't about luck they are about strategy.  I mean overall strategy from recruiting to seeing what do we have to offer the next year. 

These coaches also will whip up on the want to be elite coaches so that the media and fans know there coach will never be in that arena.  Remember HDN talked smack about PC before our last game against USC and if you do that to PC he takes you to the shed.  He knows the difference between an intelligent coach and a want to be.

I see CPB as one of the coaches that the elite know will join the club. He has to pay the price just like PC who was 6-6 his first year to Nick who had it bad.  These guys are in a club they want only a few in this club.

CBP is being initiated this year.  Only time will tell if he gets to stay.  The only way that happens is he can't move to a different team and must build a dynasty.That is what elite is about ,just like John Wooden and Dean Smith did in the basketball world. 

An elite coach takes a down program and builds champions.  He make a team champions after the few season then they dominate.

Lets enjoy BP as he is brought into the club of elite.  This is his initiation season.

MrsHogInMo

Quote from: hognc2010 on September 21, 2008, 11:55:20 am
I believe we have a coach who is respected among the top elite coaches.  When that happens I think they play each other differently than they do a coach who isn't quite up to the caliber to join the elite club.

What I see is the great coaches looking ahead at who will join in the elite club.
They want the best up there so it makes it fun for them.  These elite coaches aren't about luck they are about strategy.  I mean overall strategy from recruiting to seeing what do we have to offer the next year. 

These coaches also will whip up on the want to be elite coaches so that the media and fans know there coach will never be in that arena.  Remember HDN talked smack about PC before our last game against USC and if you do that to PC he takes you to the shed.  He knows the difference between an intelligent coach and a want to be.

I see CPB as one of the coaches that the elite know will join the club. He has to pay the price just like PC who was 6-6 his first year to Nick who had it bad.  These guys are in a club they want only a few in this club.

CBP is being initiated this year.  Only time will tell if he gets to stay.  The only way that happens is he can't move to a different team and must build a dynasty.That is what elite is about ,just like John Wooden and Dean Smith did in the basketball world. 

An elite coach takes a down program and builds champions.  He make a team champions after the few season then they dominate.

Lets enjoy BP as he is brought into the club of elite.  This is his initiation season.

That was a thoughtful post.  Thanks!  +1

Tammany Tom

Quote from: kclvr on September 20, 2008, 10:55:28 pm
I'm glad he left LSU because if he hadn't they may have won another NC or 2.

Brilliant!

I swear I thought that LSU won the National Championship just last year while Saban was coaching Alabama.

Quote from: donewithdale on September 20, 2008, 11:53:00 pm

Somebody that gets it. Saban has a habit of leaving his starting QB in games that have long been decided.

Flashback 2002: LSU leads Florida in Gainesville by the score of 31-7 in the 4th quarter. Matt Mauck is still in the game running the offense. Mauck gets hurt and misses the rest of the year. LSU basically falls apart the rest of the season and loses the West to Arkansas.

I find it hilarious that so many Arkansas fans are calling Saban and Bama classy. I remember clearly all the whining and moaning on Arkansas boards after the 2003 game about Saban running up the score.

Most of you guys know absolutely nothing about Nick Saban. Nothing. Great coach and recruiter? Absolutely. Classy individual and good guy? Not just No, but H**L NO.

kclvr

Quote from: Tammany Tom on September 21, 2008, 04:55:09 pm
Brilliant!

I swear I thought that LSU won the National Championship just last year while Saban was coaching Alabama.

Somebody that gets it. Saban has a habit of leaving his starting QB in games that have long been decided.

Flashback 2002: LSU leads Florida in Gainesville by the score of 31-7 in the 4th quarter. Matt Mauck is still in the game running the offense. Mauck gets hurt and misses the rest of the year. LSU basically falls apart the rest of the season and loses the West to Arkansas.

I find it hilarious that so many Arkansas fans are calling Saban and Bama classy. I remember clearly all the whining and moaning on Arkansas boards after the 2003 game about Saban running up the score.

Most of you guys know absolutely nothing about Nick Saban. Nothing. Great coach and recruiter? Absolutely. Classy individual and good guy? Not just No, but H**L NO.

Should have clarified and said another  1 or 2 besides last year.

El Puerco

September 21, 2008, 07:16:14 pm #48 Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 07:22:11 pm by El Puerco
Quote from: 94 Hawg on September 21, 2008, 08:06:57 am
you cant put kids in the game and tell them not to play hard. i suspect most of that defense wilson faced were second string as well.

I don't know the full degree that he pulled his starters.  However, pulling his players was by no means an altruistic move.  They're playing for all the beans now.  If he pulled folks it was to avoid injury and save some gas for next week.  NOT because he felt bad for Petrino and the gang because he's a swell guy and a sportsman.
He would be stupid not to score all that he can.  Do you think that Oklahoma jumped in the polls because they kept it close with Washington?  No, they jumped because they put the hammer on them. 

94 Hawg

Quote from: El Puerco on September 21, 2008, 07:16:14 pm
I don't know the full degree that he pulled his starters.  However, pulling his players was by no means an altruistic move.  They're playing for all the beans now.  If he pulled folks it was to avoid injury and save some gas for next week.  NOT because he felt bad for Petrino and the gang because he's a swell guy and a sportsman.
He would be stupid not to score all that he can.  Do you think that Oklahoma jumped in the polls because they kept it close with Washington?  No, they jumped because they put the hammer on them. 
so is he stupid?
he substituted instead of running up the score.
~ Will Rogers