Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Eric Smiley

Started by cardinalandwhite, September 18, 2008, 04:10:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cardinalandwhite

I was avoiding homework and a question came to me.  What is the status of Eric Smiley?  I haven't heard much of anything on him lately in terms of recruiting, and considering our need for inner linemen, I was wondering if there was any news on him as to leaning, visits, etc...  Tomhog or RD, anything?
Thanks, and go hogs!  :razorback:
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

Seebs

Hey - get to work kid! How are you going to get/keep your eligibility sluffing off?
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

cardinalandwhite

I'm sitting at a 3.4 in college majoring in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.  I'm making it work!  :)
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

Wildhog

Quote from: Tomhog™ on September 18, 2008, 06:17:58 pm
There still isn't an offer for Smiley, but they may be giving him another look.

Wasn't he a 4* at one time?
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ListenHereMister

Question for Kobe,
Do you know if Smiley has gotten his grades/scores in order?
Also, doesn't HWH have another DLineman that is D1 caliber?

Thanks.

jackflash

I think Arkansas has to keep looking at him. Defensive lineman of his size don't come along to often in Arkansas.

Wildhog

Quote from: Tomhog™ on September 18, 2008, 10:04:23 pm
yes

Tom, do you think the grades issue is what brought his rating down?  I don't know what all goes into it.  Does that have an effect?
1909/1964/1965/1977

gohogsgo006

we need to be careful if we want to offer this guy, thats all im gonna say.
Hogville- Where realism somehow equals pessimism

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: gohogsgo006 on September 19, 2008, 07:23:36 am
we need to be careful if we want to offer this guy, thats all im gonna say.
Why?  Because of grades?  I heard there might be some other issues, but didn't really get a good read on what they were.

Beaverfever

I've heard many people say things like there is "no chance" he qualifies but it seems like if his school situation was that bad he wouldnt be qualified for high school football.

McHogLovin

Quote from: Beaverfever on September 19, 2008, 07:56:29 am
I've heard many people say things like there is "no chance" he qualifies but it seems like if his school situation was that bad he wouldnt be qualified for high school football.
It's Ar-kan-saw baby!  If you can bring the wood doesn't matter what your grades are.

The Boar War

Quote from: McHogLovin on September 20, 2008, 01:54:44 am
It's Ar-kan-saw baby!  If you can bring the wood doesn't matter what your grades are.

Albert Gary, Anthony Oden, and Thomas Shuler would disagree.

Hogstocking

Quote from: Wildhog on September 18, 2008, 06:20:46 pm
Wasn't he a 4* at one time?

A VERY highly rated 4 star.  When rivals released their initial Rivals 100, he was #43
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/players/02/07/rivals.1002/

If he gets his grades in order, he will be a beast on the next level imo.   

mhuff

Are we afraid to offer because it may scare off other recruits and then he may not make his grades? I know we need some d-line people ,and he's one of the most heralded players left on the board. So, what gives?

trphog

Quote from: The Boar War on September 20, 2008, 02:01:50 am

I think he is referring to Arkansas High School sports. I would also agree with him. If you can play, you will be eligible. None of the players listed played their high school ball here.

TMc

I've read he has no shot of qualifying - therefore they are not going to offer ..., unless something has changed.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Quote from: TMc on September 20, 2008, 06:50:39 am
I've read he has no shot of qualifying - therefore they are not going to offer ..., unless something has changed.
I see on scout.com he has a offer from us can somebody confirm this for us kobe, tomhog, richard????????
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

Wildhog

Quote from: DoubleReedHawgCaller on September 22, 2008, 06:07:54 pm
I see on scout.com he has a offer from us can somebody confirm this for us kobe, tomhog, richard????????

Not Tom or Richard, but I'm pretty sure he hasn't been offered. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

DeuceHawg

Scout show his gpa as fine and it also says we have offered.

Wildhog

Quote from: DeuceHawg on September 22, 2008, 06:23:20 pm
Scout show his gpa as fine and it also says we have offered.

everything I've read and heard from people from WH have said that we have not offered.
1909/1964/1965/1977

SquidBilly

With the help we need on the D-line I don't think we can afford to take a chance on a guy who isn't for sure qualified.  No one questions his talent but if he never has the grades to be able to wear the uniform for us then it would be a waste.  If he can get his ACT score where it needs to be and his transcript is SEC qualifying then I say go get the guy.

Wildhog

Quote from: ATLpiggie on September 22, 2008, 06:34:02 pm
With the help we need on the D-line I don't think we can afford to take a chance on a guy who isn't for sure qualified.  No one questions his talent but if he never has the grades to be able to wear the uniform for us then it would be a waste.  If he can get his ACT score where it needs to be and his transcript is SEC qualifying then I say go get the guy.

I think he's the type that we could flip whenever we wanted if we were desperate around signing day.  I mean, with his teammates headin' here, kinda like a Brian Christopher situation last year.  He was going to sign with Texas Tech, and when he got offered ON SIGNING DAY Youngblood, Askew and Curtis flipped him.
1909/1964/1965/1977

DoubleReedHawgCaller

It has kniles as a commit so its pretty up to date unless thats a error.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

Wildhog

Quote from: DoubleReedHawgCaller on September 22, 2008, 06:43:02 pm
It has kniles as a commit so its pretty up to date unless thats a error.

If he had an offer, we would hear more about him.  It's an error.
1909/1964/1965/1977

kobe24

he doesnt have a offer but horton ask about him every time we talk the hogs are on him he has been playing great west memphis couldnt block him friday

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Thanks guys for clearing that up.

Hawgvillain

Quote from: kobe24 on September 22, 2008, 06:51:35 pm
he doesnt have a offer but horton ask about him every time we talk the hogs are on him he has been playing great west memphis couldnt block him friday
Any word on how he's doing in the classroom?  I sure hope he's getting himself on track to qualify - for both his sake and the Hogs...

berryhog

Quote from: The Boar War on September 20, 2008, 02:01:50 am

I wondered what happened with Shuler.  I thought he might have decided not to enroll after Nutt left.  Did we place him somewhere ?

kobe24

he is doing alot better still has some work to do

SquidBilly

Is it core classes, GPA, ACT score, or all three with him? 

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

Porkahontas

Quote from: berryhog on September 22, 2008, 07:13:08 pm
I wondered what happened with Shuler.  I thought he might have decided not to enroll after Nutt left.  Did we place him somewhere ?

It's a good thing Shuler never made it to campus. He would've been a wasted scholarship.

All I'm gonna say about that one. He would've fit in with the other lousy offers Nutt has made over the past few years.

Wildhog

Quote from: Porkahontas on September 22, 2008, 08:04:32 pm
It's a good thing Shuler never made it to campus. He would've been a wasted scholarship.

All I'm gonna say about that one. He would've fit in with the other lousy offers Nutt has made over the past few years.

Why do you say that?  I thought he had a pretty impressive highlight reel.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: kobe24 on September 22, 2008, 07:18:50 pm

Thanks for the info, but I'll pepper you with more questions:

1. Do we know for certain that the hold up with an offer is because of questionable academics?

2. If an offer is actually extended, what are our chances with him?

3. Who else has actually offered him?

Anyone else know?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Kilgor

Is he involved in things that could result in incarceration?  I don't know, but why else wouldn't we have offered.  I mean if it's just a grade risk, you offer because of his talent, size, and the need for his position.

6'5" 280 lbs. 4.75  AYSM???  Offer!!!!!!!!
Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

Pigzwillfly

Smiley is a beast, Hit those books boy!

Wildhog

I don't see why we wouldn't offer, sign, and place him somewhere if he doesn't make it.  Put him in a prep school, get him back after a year.  Seems to be worth it.  Maybe I'm wrong.  I dunno.
1909/1964/1965/1977

VenturaHog

Quote from: Kilgor on September 22, 2008, 08:53:28 pm
Is he involved in things that could result in incarceration?  I don't know, but why else wouldn't we have offered.  I mean if it's just a grade risk, you offer because of his talent, size, and the need for his position.

6'5" 280 lbs. 4.75  AYSM???  Offer!!!!!!!!

Well said, this has had me scratching my head since February.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: kobe24 on September 22, 2008, 07:18:50 pm

Is it true that he has only played football for a few years?

japhog

Quote from: Porkahontas on September 22, 2008, 08:04:32 pm

he would probably be the starting fullback right now.  we could really use him on short yardage plays...