Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So the majority of us believe that we'll beat Bama...

Started by neahog, September 14, 2008, 05:36:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MJ2

The Hog offense should be okay.  28 Points.

The Hog defense is questionable at best.  38 Points.

Sabin wins.

Hogsnort

I wouldn't put money on it, but can we win? YES.  If we didn't think we could, that would be a losing attitude. I've never experienced a razorback game where I believed we couldn't win. Never......and that's been for a whole lot of games.

neahog

"I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." -Winston Churchill

neahog

Quote from: Wildhog on September 14, 2008, 05:38:14 pm
Hope.  We're playing to win.

I realize we're playing to win, but so is Bama. I'm just trying to comprehend the reason(s) that everyone fully expects a win. I've been reading the predictions thread and well over half of the people posting expect a win.
"I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." -Winston Churchill

neahog

Quote from: Feralhog on September 14, 2008, 05:54:06 pm
We're simply not as enlightened and as smart as you.  But I'll humor you since you went through the trouble of sharing these golden thoughts with us.  IMO it boils down to mistakes.  If we can avoid shooting ourselves in the foot, we'll score some points.  Tulane showed that you don't have to be all big and bad to knock Bama off their game plan.  Wilson is fairly decent when he has time to throw and in a lot of ways, the same things we needed for success against Tejas defensively can be used to come out on top against Bama.  So in essence, our D has had two weeks to prepare.  Plus we have a couple of LB's returning so there's a good chance our defensive performance will improve.  If we can turn this into a track meet, we can win.  That's how LAM beat them last year, and I can't recall but didn't Houston beat Bama as well?  Regardless, if Houston won or not, that game was a track meet and Bama certainly didn't dominate the Cougars.   But you know, since we no longer have Nutt, even if Bama Rick Rolled us to smithereens, I'll bear it and grin.  This game is a snapshot, and regardless of what happens Saturday, we finally have reason for hope and excitement for the future, so I'll gladly wear my hog colored shades.   

Thanks for the kind words. All of what you're saying gives me hope, but I just have a hard time believing that we can turn it around in two weeks. Thus far we've looked like the 11th best team in the SEC imho. Based on what I've seen on the field anyway. I hope we win, but I just don't see it.

neahog

Quote from: t-money on September 14, 2008, 05:58:13 pm
I'm hoping Petrino is going to pull some more stuff out of the box that we haven't seen yet. If that works and we can create some turnovers and not shoot ourselves we have a slight chance.....I said slight.......

Good point about pulling more out of the box. We may see some new stuff, and that may very well make a difference.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: rockbama on September 15, 2008, 03:46:53 am

This is becoming annoying really. Our secondary isnt as good as monroes? That is a really god damn accurate statement being that our defense hasnt allowed crap this year. Take away Spillers kick return, which is against our special teams, and our defense has allowed 16 Frankin points in three games.

You're vaunted passing attack has struggled against inferior opponents. Yes I know we lost to monroe last year but any idiot can see this is a completly different team. Get use to it, because next year we will be even better as we will continue to get top 5-10 classes every year.

Really amazes me when you guys call bama fans idiots and delusional yet you have a god damn count down clock till the dominance begins. How's that working out for ya?

Peace.

Tell ya what........you have every right to your opinion, but let's leave God's name out of it. Surely you are intelligent enough and have a sufficient command of the english language to make your point without stooping to that level. Yeah, that one(actually two) part of your post really offends me.
Go Hogs Go!

neahog

Quote from: Feralhog on September 14, 2008, 06:57:57 pm
Try adding something to the discussion besides these idiotic blanket statements. 

He makes a good point. 100% of Arkansas fans love Bobby Petrino. But there are some cool aid drinkers out there who believe we're better than Alabama, Texas, etc...just because BP is our coach.

neahog

Quote from: farhan on September 14, 2008, 07:20:34 pm
this is a hog fan message board, what you think people are gonna come here and talk about losing?  Do I think we are gonna win?  HECK NO, but i do have hope that we might...Tulane did it...why not us?

Tulane didn't win. Obviously we are going to pull for the hogs, that is what a hog fan board is all about. But we should be objective enough not to think we're better than we really are.

neahog

Quote from: HatfieldHog on September 14, 2008, 10:13:00 pm
I'll give you my reasons!

1.  Alabama is not as good as the #11 ranking they have.  Any program with 11 players has a chance against Tommy Bowden. 
2.  There is not as much distance between the middle of the pack BCS teams and the Sun Belt/Conf. USA schools as there used to be.  Thus,  Arkansas is not as bad as those first two games indicated.
3.  We are going to play better after the extra prep time.

Bank it,  We are gonna get the "W."

See ya

Ok, but how do you suspect we are going to stop them from running the ball? I also have concerns about our pass protection. The offensive line (which I thought would be among the best in the country) didn't exactly dominate WIU and ULM.

neahog

Quote from: HatfieldHog on September 14, 2008, 10:27:36 pm

Gentleman,  Bama is not as good as many are giving them credit for being.  Clemson is not as good as they were ranked either.  Plus, Clemson plays in a weak league.

We can play with Bama....Just wait and see.

See ya

If you're going to point out that Clemson isn't that good, I'll play Devil's advocate and suggest that they're a lot better than WIU. As for the second game, is Tulane really any worse than ULM?

neahog

Quote from: Bama Possum on September 14, 2008, 10:59:06 pm
All right, hear me out before the Bama homer swipes start. I have been a frequent reader and occasional poster for awhile. I will be the first to admit that games are played on the field and not on paper or computer screen pixels, but I really believe Bama has a better shot this year than in a while.

1. Offense- Despite a poster or two calling Bama's offense anemic, the games show otherwise. Despite a slight letdown versus Tulane, Alabama has a pretty salty "o" that is very balanced. The line has matured well and the running game is better than it has been in a while. Coffee, Ingram, Grant, and Upchurch are all productive backs. Although many were predicting a slump in the receiver corps, there really hasn't been a dropoff in quality AND Bama has two very good TE's who are getting the ball now as well. JPW can be hit and miss, but he is still a tough veteran quarterback who is showing improved decision making skills.

2. Defense- Currently ranked #1 in rushing defense. Not in the SEC, in the country. #9 scoring defense that has only allowed one offensive touchdown with an average of 7.4 points after three games. The secondary is slightly weaker than the front seven, but you can expect nickel and dime packages against Petrino's offense with 5 and 6 db's on the field, and Rashad Johnson is all SEC and they hit a ton. They have slobberknocked quite a few receivers loose from catches so far.

The quality of player Bama is fielding is better and more physical than in the past. Two seasons in Saban's conditioning program is starting to show real progress. These young men are stronger and faster than they have been, and the freshmen are just as big and fast. Saban's recruiting prowess is already showing. I'm not being a homer when I say that the quality of football player is steadily improving. The gap between Bama and the other upper echelon teams is narrowing.

I believe Arkansas will come out fired up and play hard, but ya'll just don't have enough pieces to the puzzle yet IMO. Too many quality players left at the end of '07 that have to be replaced.

I predict a Bama win, but I don't have a clue as to what the score will be.

I think that just about sums it up. However, enjoy it while you can because once Petrino gets his players in here, Arkansas will find a spot at the top of the SEC.

neahog

Quote from: toshortrock on September 15, 2008, 05:09:50 am
why shouldn;t we win,i'm a hog,r u saying i should root for bama?and if yes,why?

Hell no, why would you root for Bama? We are all rooting for the Hogs, but that doesn't mean we can't step back and give a realistic and objective assement of what is going to happen.

neahog

Quote from: Hogsnort on September 15, 2008, 07:33:15 am
I wouldn't put money on it, but can we win? YES.  If we didn't think we could, that would be a losing attitude. I've never experienced a razorback game where I believed we couldn't win. Never......and that's been for a whole lot of games.

I totally agree with that statement. I never think we CAN't win...In fact, once gameday gets here I lose the objectivity that I keep preaching about. Still, to actually predict a win in this game is insane.

Hogsnort

Quote from: neahog on September 15, 2008, 07:48:50 am
Tulane didn't win. Obviously we are going to pull for the hogs, that is what a hog fan board is all about. But we should be objective enough not to think we're better than we really are.
nea, I don't think or believe that we're a better team than Alabama but I do believe that we can play a better game than they do on Saturday which often leads to a victory. That's not saying we will win. It's saying we can win. It's not hopeless and I'm still being objective.

neahog

Quote from: Hogsnort on September 15, 2008, 08:00:10 am
nea, I don't think or believe that we're a better team than Alabama but I do believe that we can play a better game than they do on Saturday which often leads to a victory. That's not saying we will win. It's saying we can win. It's not hopeless and I'm still being objective.

I agree.

Feralhog

September 15, 2008, 08:03:53 am #66 Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 08:44:02 am by Feralhog
Quote from: jabohog on September 14, 2008, 10:22:45 pm
Glad you got your grins and glasses on cause your going to need them. All your "ifs" are a frog with wings. They haven't shown any of the defensive stuff you suggest and the returning LBs are just needed depth at the most. If it boils down to mistakes, well come on, we have made enough for the season already with no signs of correction. Special teams sucked worse in the second game than the first, if that's possible.  This offense is going to see a for real defense, so it will be a snap shot. Petrino gave them Friday and Saturday off, so where is the two weeks to prepare? Up until Wednesday, we were getting ready to play Texas. If our Oline can adjust their pass protection before the fourth quarter then we might be able to run in a track meet, otherwise, get ready to be on the short side of this race. Other than that, I get what your saying, I will stand with you on the hope side, and I'm really glad Nutt isn't here anymore.

I understand where your coming from too, but we don't have the same coach on the sidelines and there's reason to hope that the things that are correctable will get corrected.  Hell, if you want to sit around and think of every thing we do wrong, why stop there?  Let's pile on and list only the positives for Bama.  We could turn this into an ass kicking for the ages. .   BTW, with you and you only, I'll take the hogs plus 9 1/2 or whatever the line is for 100 bucks if you want it?  You have until 5pm today.
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

Hogsnort

September 15, 2008, 08:11:59 am #67 Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 08:13:32 am by Hogsnort
I like it when Petrino refers to everyone, i.e. each part of the team doing their part and everything working together like it's supposed to work, (I'm paraphrasing) but anyway, that's when we become "better than we are". It's like the term synergy where things become greater than the sum of their parts! When we can accomplish that, we'll win a lot of games we wouldn't be predicted to win.

RickyRoma

Quote from: rockbama on September 15, 2008, 03:46:53 am

This is becoming annoying really. Our secondary isnt as good as monroes? That is a really god damn accurate statement being that our defense hasnt allowed crap this year. Take away Spillers kick return, which is against our special teams, and our defense has allowed 16 Frankin points in three games.

You're vaunted passing attack has struggled against inferior opponents. Yes I know we lost to monroe last year but any idiot can see this is a completly different team. Get use to it, because next year we will be even better as we will continue to get top 5-10 classes every year.

Really amazes me when you guys call bama fans idiots and delusional yet you have a god damn count down clock till the dominance begins. How's that working out for ya?

Peace.

Oh look, another bummer that we should all stop what we're doing, bow down to and kiss the ground he walks on.  Why don't you come back when your team becomes as great as everyone over in fantasy land thinks it is.  Even better...since bummer is so good, why don't you guys just enter the NFL.  I mean, it's just not going to be fair to the rest of the SEC when you become "god awful" in a couple of years. 

FATBACKHAWG

I have to agree, I just don't see us stopping their running game which will keep our offense off of the field....Lack of depth on defense and Bama pounding the ball,  I see us wearing out......
Quote from: Hog0707 on September 14, 2008, 10:24:57 pm
I hate to say it...nobody wants to bet against the Hogs, especially if they're a fan...but, honestly, I think you're right.  Coffee is legit, the DJ's are quick (our secondary is sluggish, still)...and the lines are a wash.  JPW isn't awesome, but he is a "record-holder" now, so look the hell out.  Lee Muffin might give us fits...or he might be playing on our team by the end of the night, you just can't tell what's going to happen with that guy.  All in all, the Hogs best days are ahead.  Long-term, BP is an exceptional game-planner, and will win the SEC before he is done, write it down.  NSaban has a relatively anemic offense and he'll be exposed before the end of the season.  It's all good, peeps.  It's all good.

Razorback Jedi

We don't have the special teams or defense to win this weekend. As a poster above said, our offense will probably be ok (as long as they can find the endzone when they should, which they didn't do against ULM) and we'll put up some points ... but our D will give up more than we can score.

One thing I do like is that we've won both games this year with determination and grit. We likely should have lost both of those games, but didn't and there's some emotional confidence that comes from being able to pull out wins like that. Not sure h ow that translates to an SEC schedule, but I'd be surprised to see this team give up at any point in a game.

Feralhog

Quote from: bowlhogs07 on September 15, 2008, 09:06:58 am
I have to agree, I just don't see us stopping their running game which will keep our offense off of the field....Lack of depth on defense and Bama pounding the ball,  I see us wearing out......

Your right.  If we get into a situation where they can pound the ball for four quarters, we'll probably be in trouble.  IF we can get Bama away from this game plan and turn this thing into a track meet, we can win.  Odds are good we'll receive the kickoff because BP always receives and Bama will likely defer so it will be extremely important for us to stick the ball in the endzone.
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: neahog on September 15, 2008, 07:38:18 am
I realize we're playing to win, but so is Bama. I'm just trying to comprehend the reason(s) that everyone fully expects a win. I've been reading the predictions thread and well over half of the people posting expect a win.

and what is wrong with arkansas fans getting excited about the first SEC game of the BP era?

Would it make u feel better if we all were doom and gloom and expected to get blown away?

Do i have your permission to predict a win o great one?

razorsharptusk

It will be what it will be.  None of us writing these words, sitting in the stands, hollaring, booing, woo pig sooing can change one thing about those players on the field, other than cheering them on and motivating them, theres nothing we can do.  It comes down to 22 players, preparedness, skill, talent, and pride.  ALL we can do as fans is cheer on our Hogs.  Why does it matter  WHY we think they should win, WHY one would think we are not being realistic, WHY we are so sure the Hogs will pull it off. WE are HOG fans and that is what we do.  The least we can do is show confidence in our football team.  If we don't it's obvious no one else in the SEC or any other league is going to. Do what you can as a fan and it will be what it will be. But do your PART!  All this negativity is about to tick me off.  Find the good and talk about it.  Don't harp on the bad. We all know what is bad right now and what is good, let's talk the good.  It will be what it will.

Muskogeehogfan,  Right on with your comment!!
GO HOGS!!

Kim Jong Il

If we beat Bama it will be a miracle. I swear I really question the sanity of some on here. If you think we have a glimmer of hope against Bama you must have missed the first two AT HOME vs DIV1aa WEST ILL and ULM. Unfortunately Bama by 21

Kim Jong Il

Quote from: hawgnjayhawkland on September 14, 2008, 09:59:25 pm
Great insight...care to tell us why?

Because ULM and WEST ILL almost beat us at home and Bama is ranked #9 in the country with a good passing offense vs our young and inexperienced secondary

Feralhog

September 15, 2008, 11:24:58 am #76 Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 11:27:32 am by Feralhog
Quote from: Kim Jong Il on September 15, 2008, 11:04:58 am
Because ULM and WEST ILL almost beat us at home and Bama is ranked #9 in the country with a good passing offense vs our young and inexperienced secondary

So you watched the ULM and W. Ill games?    I have a few questions, because not having a glimmer of hope basically equates to having zero chance.

> Did it seem like ULM or W. ILL dominated us or would you say we hurt ourselves by making a lot of mistakes?
> Does it increase your respect for ULM's program knowing that last year they beat a 6-2 Alabama team?  I mean it's understandable for a team to pull off an upset early, but an upset 3/4 into the season?
> Does Tulane giving Bama fits do anything to add a little glimmer or are you impressed with Tulane because they played ECU close too?
> Your the first I've heard suggest Bama's passing offense will be the nail in our coffin, so there's nothing about our offense the first two games to suggest it's to our advantage for this game to be a track meet?

I'll hang up and listen

MuskogeeHogFan

September 15, 2008, 11:28:51 am #77 Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 11:48:44 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: Kim Jong Il on September 15, 2008, 11:01:49 am
If we beat Bama it will be a miracle. I swear I really question the sanity of some on here. If you think we have a glimmer of hope against Bama you must have missed the first two AT HOME vs DIV1aa WEST ILL and ULM. Unfortunately Bama by 21

If you think that means we don't have a chance, then you are definitely looking at this the wrong way. Bama has a great run defense, but their secondary hasn't shown up to be quite so stellar. That works out pretty good for us since our passing game is our strongpoint. We'll get some rushing yards, maybe 125 at most, but CD will throw for more than 265 against a porous Alabama secondary. JPW normally plays pretty well against us so if we are able to limit their running game, the onus will be on him to bring the win home for Alabama. The keys for us will be establishing enough of a running game to keep them honest, picking their secondary apart in passing(which we will do), Tejada coming out of "analysis" and being able to hit every opportunity he has, limiting their running game and having zero turnovers. If we can do that, we can win. You need to understand that in every game that Bama has played this year, on average, 44.3% of their points have come in the 1st quarter, 24.7% in the second quarter and 27.85 in the 3rd quarter. The first half will also be very key to us. If we can limit them in the first half, we stand a really good chance and they will be thrown out of their rhythm. But if you think that this game isn't going to be close, you need to back up and re-evaluate. Bama will NOT run all over us despite what those of you who want to point to W. Illinois and La-Monroe might think. Who has Bama played except Clemson and Tulane gave them all that they wanted by having a sound passing attack. If Tulane had limited them during the first half, it might have been a differnent ballgame. The first half will tell the tale vs. Bama.
Go Hogs Go!

LZH

elksnort

Quote from: t-money on September 14, 2008, 05:58:13 pm
I'm hoping Petrino is going to pull some more stuff out of the box that we haven't seen yet. If that works and we can create some turnovers and not shoot ourselves we have a slight chance.....I said slight.......

Yeah, like  sneaking Kenny Hamlin, Carlos Hall and Butu in the game.

Feralhog

Quote from: elksnort on September 15, 2008, 12:03:33 pm
Yeah, like  sneaking Kenny Hamlin, Carlos Hall and Butu in the game.
WE might have to do something like that just to keep up with them cheatin frikers.

tbhogfan

I think that we're going to have some dramatic improvement to win Saturday.  Sarah Jessica Parker Willson has some good weapons at his disposal, and our secondary has not been tested by an SEC quality team.

One thing I am sure of is that ESPiN will bill this game as a "battle of sleazy NFL defectors."
Go Hogs!

elksnort

Quote from: Feralhog on September 15, 2008, 12:07:41 pm
WE might have to do something like that just to keep up with them cheatin frikers.

Will Forte and others who have not played be able to show great improvement in ST and defense?
If so, then we have a good chance to beat Bama.
If not, we are going to get our a$$es handed to us.

neahog

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on September 15, 2008, 10:31:26 am
and what is wrong with arkansas fans getting excited about the first SEC game of the BP era?

Would it make u feel better if we all were doom and gloom and expected to get blown away?

Do i have your permission to predict a win o great one?

You're missing my point. I'm thoroughly excited about the game. I don't know how you infered that I was not excited, but I'm also realistic. The key matchup, in my mind, is our linebackers against their stable of running backs. I think they win that matchup big time. Enough so that it will really open up their running game. As far as our offense, I think we'll through the ball pretty well, but I don't expect us to be able to run the ball well enough against their front seven to keep our defense off of the field.

neahog

Quote from: razorsharptusk on September 15, 2008, 10:46:19 am
It will be what it will be.  None of us writing these words, sitting in the stands, hollaring, booing, woo pig sooing can change one thing about those players on the field, other than cheering them on and motivating them, theres nothing we can do.  It comes down to 22 players, preparedness, skill, talent, and pride.  ALL we can do as fans is cheer on our Hogs.  Why does it matter  WHY we think they should win, WHY one would think we are not being realistic, WHY we are so sure the Hogs will pull it off. WE are HOG fans and that is what we do.  The least we can do is show confidence in our football team.  If we don't it's obvious no one else in the SEC or any other league is going to. Do what you can as a fan and it will be what it will be. But do your PART!  All this negativity is about to tick me off.  Find the good and talk about it.  Don't harp on the bad. We all know what is bad right now and what is good, let's talk the good.  It will be what it will.

Muskogeehogfan,  Right on with your comment!!

Excellent point. That's why I'll be at RRS calling the hogs and cheering them on regardless of what happens. But again, that doesn't mean we shouldn't be realistic when discussing our chances for victory.

neahog

RickyRoma

Quote from: Kim Jong Il on September 15, 2008, 11:04:58 am

So you think our offense is totally inept and shouldn't be factored into the outcome? 

Kim Jong Il

Quote from: hawgnjayhawkland on September 15, 2008, 12:31:14 pm
So you think our offense is totally inept and shouldn't be factored into the outcome? 

I think our offense has moved the ball well but yes so far our offense ranks in the bottom half of the SEC in pts scored which is what matters. Our offense can be amazing and we will still get blown out if our defense ansd special teams play as bad as they have in the first two games. I love what Petrino is building but I am realistic and know that it will be a year or two before we are competitive in the SEC.

RickyRoma

Quote from: Kim Jong Il on September 15, 2008, 12:54:12 pm
I think our offense has moved the ball well but yes so far our offense ranks in the bottom half of the SEC in pts scored which is what matters. Our offense can be amazing and we will still get blown out if our defense ansd special teams play as bad as they have in the first two games. I love what Petrino is building but I am realistic and know that it will be a year or two before we are competitive in the SEC.

I certainly agree with most of what you are saying, but to say we don't have a chance against Alabama is extreme.  IF our defense plays the same as it has so far, then you are correct in saying it will be a long day and could be ugly.  On the other hand, IF our defense/special teams address the issues and play better, who's to say the Hogs can't win the game?

Kim Jong Il

Quote from: Feralhog on September 15, 2008, 11:24:58 am
So you watched the ULM and W. Ill games?    I have a few questions, because not having a glimmer of hope basically equates to having zero chance.

> Did it seem like ULM or W. ILL dominated us or would you say we hurt ourselves by making a lot of mistakes? Western Illinois won the LOS on both sides of the ball. They pushed around our DL and did whatever they wanted in the run game. ULM almost beating us was a result of a ton of mistakes mainly in the kicking game but they scored to many points on us too.
> Does it increase your respect for ULM's program knowing that last year they beat a 6-2 Alabama team?  I mean it's understandable for a team to pull off an upset early, but an upset 3/4 into the season? I do respect ULM for beating Bama but they are still ULM and an Arkansas should always beat them easily, especially since many of us think we are a top tier program
> Does Tulane giving Bama fits do anything to add a little glimmer or are you impressed with Tulane because they played ECU close too? Yes, I believe it could be a close game but Tulane has a much better defense than Arkansas, sorry they do, our defense is very very young
> Your the first I've heard suggest Bama's passing offense will be the nail in our coffin, so there's nothing about our offense the first two games to suggest it's to our advantage for this game to be a track meet? JPW always seems to have a career game against us, why would this year be any different? Our secondary is worse this year and everyone will know it after we play 4 real powers.

In closing, Don't misunderstand I think we are on the right path. We have a real football coach who understands that this year is nothing more than a rebuilding year. He is doing the right thing and playing the young guys getting them valuable experience. But for anyone to expect us to win any SEC game at this point is nothing short of insanity. We played well at the end to win the last two and I applaud our guys for doing it but at the same time it shows how bad we are right now to have almost lost. Let our team prove they can beat a worthy opponent then I will slowly expect to beat teams with talent like Bama

Go Hogs!

I'll hang up and listen

Feralhog

Quote from: hawgnjayhawkland on September 15, 2008, 01:03:25 pm
I certainly agree with most of what you are saying, but to say we don't have a chance against Alabama is extreme.  IF our defense plays the same as it has so far, then you are correct in saying it will be a long day and could be ugly.  On the other hand, IF our defense/special teams address the issues and play better, who's to say the Hogs can't win the game?

If Tulane put together a game plan that had them in the ball game at Bryant Denny, I don't think it's too big of a stretch to think we have SOME hope at RRS.

Kim Jong Il

I hope the Hogs come out and play great and beat Bama. At this point I just think we have about 0% to 5% of beating them. Here is to hoping I am wrong

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: neahog on September 15, 2008, 12:26:14 pm
You're missing my point. I'm thoroughly excited about the game. I don't know how you infered that I was not excited, but I'm also realistic. The key matchup, in my mind, is our linebackers against their stable of running backs. I think they win that matchup big time. Enough so that it will really open up their running game. As far as our offense, I think we'll through the ball pretty well, but I don't expect us to be able to run the ball well enough against their front seven to keep our defense off of the field.

Thats a fair assessment however what gives me hope is that we're getting some linebackers back on the two deep from injuries.
If we're within 3-7 points going into the fourth quarter, i think we can get them at home.

razorsharptusk

And why does it matter that we are at the bottom in scoring points.  1 points wins the ball game. Ask Auburn.
GO HOGS!!

uams1989

Bama fan that grew up in AR and like wincrimson, pull for the Hogs when they are not playing Bama.

Several points I want to make: 1) I think Razorback fans have just as much reason to believe and expect their Hogs to win this or any game.  The Bama boards and fans are just as one-sided (probably actually worse).  I expect Bama to win.

2) Like most schools, Bama has its arrogant, obnoxious fans, but, we also have a lot of realistic fans who know we are not going to be the 2008 National Champions, but, isn't it funny that some on here make funny of Bama fans for believing they have a chance to win every game? 

3) I have only seen stats on the Hogs, but, Bama is much improved and much more physical than in 5 or 6 years.  OL and running game are dramatically better.  I didn't feel good after the Tulane game, but, Bama was coming off a big win and inspite of what your perception is of Tulane, the game was never in doubt.

Ultimately, we should all know by mid-afternoon, Saturday.  I think it will be the typical physical, slug-fest, but, Bama - on paper and in performance so far - has the better running game and defense and that usually wins in the end.
"They got a name for the winners in the world...
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide..."

GuvHog

Quote from: neahog on September 15, 2008, 12:26:14 pm
You're missing my point. I'm thoroughly excited about the game. I don't know how you inferred that I was not excited, but I'm also realistic. The key match up, in my mind, is our linebackers against their stable of running backs. I think they win that match up big time. Enough so that it will really open up their running game. As far as our offense, I think we'll through the ball pretty well, but I don't expect us to be able to run the ball well enough against their front seven to keep our defense off of the field.

As far as the linebackers go, If it still were Jerry Franklin and 2 other freshman I'd agree with you
but it isn't. We're now talking about Wendel Davis, Elston Forte (Captain), Freddie Burton, Ryan Powers, and Jerry Franklin. That my friend is a very formidable and deeper LB crew. Bama won't
be able to run as well as you think.

As for the Hogs not being able to run against Bama, you try and tell Michael smith that.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

smun83

We are both young teams.  Both have senior QB's.  Though bama has more talent as of right now.  One thing I think helps is Michael Smith can be in better shape, and I think we may get a close to 100 percent curtis.  From what I have seen of him he can be a gamebreaker like adams has been.  Bama and Ark is always close it seems.  Last year we were two touchdowns better than that team, but found a way to lose.  Just like this year on paper they are about two touchdowns better than us.

HawgFan25

bump. 

This thread is a great example of the insanity shared by many hogville members.

RT1941

Well, call me one of the INSANE then.  Because I can not believe what I saw today.  I would have NEVER thought our team would have played so poorly, on BOTH sides of the ball.  We made Bammer look like world-beaters today.
RazorTusk!!!!

coach, my back hurts

I understand that fans are allowed to be homers because thats basically the purpose of being a fan, but when/where do you draw the line between homer and realistic?

I never would've picked us to lose by this much, but i would've guessed 20+ pts.