Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas and Ole Miss Recruiting Rankings for 2009

Started by BCShogs, September 12, 2008, 09:16:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BCShogs

I know it's early.....................but

2009 recruiting rankings according to Rivals

Arkansas- 15 commitments, ranked #22

Ole Miss-10 commitments, ranked #45 (not one four star or five star)

Petrino-1
Nutt-0

And this is just the beginning.

The Lemming

ekyle1

idochog

Quote from: BCShogs on September 12, 2008, 09:16:14 am

Petrino-1
Nutt-0

We gonna stomp mudholes in hootie concerning his recruiting
I love Jesus!

usnavyhogfan

The dream is free, the journey is not.

ballhog88

I show Ark with 14 and this class very similar to every Nutt class a few 4*'s and a bunch of 3*'s. Why compare and if your going to compare compare after signing date.

Razorback Jedi

I don't think anyone, even Nutt apologists, will argue that Nutt is a better recruitter than BP. What people will say is that BP is fickle and will leave at the first sign of a better job. It really has nothing to do with production ... just perception.

I talked to Joe Biddle here in Nashville the other day, and he's got a sore spot for BP as do many of the media folks. They'll continue to bash BP about his mantra until proven otherwise. When BP sticks around for 5-7 years or more, people will change their tune. But as many on this board, and across the state, know, grudges are hard to break. You harp on the media for jumping all over BP, yet do the same thing to Nutt.

Choctaw Hog

Petrino-1
Nutt-0

Did Ole Miss make a recent surge to get to #45?  I must have missed it.

hogSGreer

UAfan

Kilgor

Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

Jones4040

`We are Arkansas, they are Ole Miss. We should beat the crap out of them in recruiting. Why even compare ourselves with one of the bottom 4 programs in the league. Lets compare vs. the Top 4 teams in the league. Set the standard higher.

BCShogs

Quote from: Kilgor on September 12, 2008, 10:48:30 am
AYSM???  Wow.  MSU is putting it on Ole Miss in recruiting.

Yea. 18 of the top 25 players in Mississippi are already committed. Ole Miss has 3 of those 18 commits. AYSM? That's pitiful. Many gave Nutt credit for being a good recruiter, but just maybe the UOFA recruited itself more than those folks thought.

Feralhog

Quote from: ballhog88 on September 12, 2008, 10:15:46 am
I show Ark with 14 and this class very similar to every Nutt class a few 4*'s and a bunch of 3*'s. Why compare and if your going to compare compare after signing date.
Why do you care?
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

thehill1414

The difference so far, imo, Petrino's 14 recruits consist of one 5*, one 4*, ten 3*, and 2 aren't rated (probably 3* when they are rated). Nutt's 14 recruits would have consisted of one 5*, one 4*, SIX 3*, SIX 2*. Petrino isn't settling for the 2* players that Nutt always seemed to land. I know there are Jamal Andersons, but for everyone of those, there are 5 Reggie Fishs

cbjagman

Ole Hooter's better get fence building around the Magnaolia state. Then again, if he did he couldn't use the old mantra of "doing more with less". He will soon be using the slogan "doing less with less".

Heightshog

Our 22nd ranked class is still 8th in the SEC, that's not going to get it done.  We have to step it up if we want to compete with the big boys.

idochog

Hootie will be happy to win the battle of recruiting over a kid that might goto Podunk U.
I love Jesus!

HognotinMemphis

It is literally impossible, literally, for Nutt at Ole Miss to out-recruit either Petrino at U of A or what Nutt did when he was at U of A.

With in-state competition in MS, a state with the same population as Arkansas, from So. Miss and Miss St. as well as very nearby SEC competition, there is no way that Houston Nutt will ever be able to out-recruit a competent head coach at the U of Ark.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

spudhog

Petrino-1
Nutt-0

This yearly comparison could resemble the relationship between the hammer and the nail

ballhog88

Quote from: thehill1414 on September 12, 2008, 12:18:38 pm
The difference so far, imo, Petrino's 14 recruits consist of one 5*, one 4*, ten 3*, and 2 aren't rated (probably 3* when they are rated). Nutt's 14 recruits would have consisted of one 5*, one 4*, SIX 3*, SIX 2*. Petrino isn't settling for the 2* players that Nutt always seemed to land. I know there are Jamal Andersons, but for everyone of those, there are 5 Reggie Fishs

Nutts classes usually consisted of about 1 5*s,3-4 4*s, 14-17 3*'s 5-7 2*s... Pretty similar to the way this class is going.  By the way it is amazing how many of the those 2 *s we that are either starts or big time contributors, it also quite amazing how many of those 4*s that never panned out.

Razorback Jedi

Quote from: ballhog88 on September 12, 2008, 01:52:36 pm
By the way it is amazing how many of the those 2 *s we that are either starts or big time contributors, it also quite amazing how many of those 4*s that never panned out.

Perhaps a statement of how far HDN knew how to progress a player (coaching). I'd think its easier to get 2*'s to play like 3*s, but harder to get a 4* play like a 5*.

Pigdiana Jones

Quote from: Razorback Jedi on September 12, 2008, 10:21:07 am
I don't think anyone, even Nutt apologists, will argue that Nutt is a better recruitter than BP. What people will say is that BP is fickle and will leave at the first sign of a better job. It really has nothing to do with production ... just perception.

I talked to Joe Biddle here in Nashville the other day, and he's got a sore spot for BP as do many of the media folks. They'll continue to bash BP about his mantra until proven otherwise. When BP sticks around for 5-7 years or more, people will change their tune. But as many on this board, and across the state, know, grudges are hard to break. You harp on the media for jumping all over BP, yet do the same thing to Nutt.

1. We are not the media.

2. The media loves the dirtbag.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

colbs

Hardly  any of nutts classes had any 5 stars.  The only classes i can think of is in 2006 mustain was the only 5 star and 2005 mcfadden was i think the only 5 star.  And most of his classes hardly had any 4 stars

ballhog88

September 12, 2008, 02:18:48 pm #24 Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 03:16:05 pm by Fresh Legs™
Hey i have a right to post of here just like you. I'm a hog fan and this is hog board so if its OK with you I'll keep on posting. I could give a rats butt who the coach is. In my opinion they look pretty similar in recruiting and really what matters is what they do on the field.

Hawgvillain

Nutts classes usually consisted of about 1 5*s,3-4 4*s, 14-17 3*'s 5-7 2*s... Pretty similar to the way this class is going.  By the way it is amazing how many of the those 2 *s we that are either starts or big time contributors, it also quite amazing how many of those 4*s that never panned out.
We signed exactly 2 5* recruits from 2002-2007.  One of them was run off.

While you are right that this class isn't really all that much better than average for us - what you are failing to consider is how down the in-state talent is this year.  It's certainly the worst in-state crop that I can remember since I started following recruiting.  Thus, being able to tread water in a down year for in-state talent shows that Petrino is doing a nice job.  Next year, however, should be one of the best years for in-state talent ever.  Thus, if our class next year isn't significantly better than Nutt's average class - I think there is some reason to complain. 

Razorback Jedi

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on September 12, 2008, 01:56:30 pm
What is quite amazing is your undying love for Houston Nutts.  I don't want to have to pull Rivals information but I will if needed.

BTW, tell me where Joe Adams and Tyler Wilson were headed before Petrino's arrival. 

The classes are not pretty similar.  Petrino is already doing a better job.  Clay and Otis have a board that might suit you better since your analytical skills seem to be a bit lacking.

So people can't be Nutt fans around here? Lay off.

ballhog88

Quote from: Hawgvillain on September 12, 2008, 02:27:28 pm
We signed exactly 2 5* recruits from 2002-2007.  One of them was run off.

While you are right that this class isn't really all that much better than average for us - what you are failing to consider is how down the in-state talent is this year.  It's certainly the worst in-state crop that I can remember since I started following recruiting.  Thus, being able to tread water in a down year for in-state talent shows that Petrino is doing a nice job.  Next year, however, should be one of the best years for in-state talent ever.  Thus, if our class next year isn't significantly better than Nutt's average class - I think there is some reason to complain. 

I agree with you on the instate recruits being down this year. I wasn't saying he's doing a bad job it just looks similar to past classes.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: Heightshog on September 12, 2008, 12:23:57 pm
Our 22nd ranked class is still 8th in the SEC, that's not going to get it done.  We have to step it up if we want to compete with the big boys.

We're not finished yet.

HognVA

I dont understand why people try to run someone off if they don't agree with a "party line" opinion. We are here to discuss topics and it would get real boring if everyone agreed all the time.

HF_Mudd

By the way it is amazing how many of the those 2 *s we that are either starts or big time contributors, it also quite amazing how many of those 4*s that never panned out.

Actually that hackneyed statement just doesn't hold water.  Every two star that does make it, it's a huge deal bc he was "only" a two star.  The truth is, that many, many two stars are forever and always relegated to the scout team or buried on the depth chart.
And so it is, my friend....

opineonswine

Sort of like the lipstick on a pig thing....

We have a real coach.  Ole Miss...well.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

What's sad is #22 in the nation = #5 in the SECW!

#4 LSU
#10 AL
#15 AU
#18 State
#22 AR
#46 OM

HF_Mudd

Quote from: abostian on September 12, 2008, 02:57:35 pm

#4 LSU
#10 AL
#15 AU
#18 State
#22 AR
#46 OM

Considering what conference we play in, I'm not sure National rankings are ever relevant.  As long as the SEC is at or near the top of the football world, all we need to know is.............How do we rank in conference recruiting?

Razorback Jedi

Quote from: abostian on September 12, 2008, 02:57:35 pm

#4 LSU
#10 AL
#15 AU
#18 State
#22 AR
#46 OM

beating them on the field is all I care about.

Justifiable Hogicide

At least with Orgeron, Ole Miss had a recruiter.

Now they don't.

ballhog88

Quote from: HF_Mudd on September 12, 2008, 02:47:21 pm
Actually that hackneyed statement just doesn't hold water.  Every two star that does make it, it's a huge deal bc he was "only" a two star.  The truth is, that many, many two stars are forever and always relegated to the scout team or buried on the depth chart.

Same can be said about the 3*s and 4 *s. Go back on rivals and check out our past classes and see who has panned out and who hasn't.

ballhog88

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on September 12, 2008, 03:05:55 pm
No.  This is a Razorback message board, not a Houston Nutt fan club site.  Go see Clay or Otis for that. 

Good I'm glad you've cleared that up! I'll keep posting away and i do apologize to you for not thinking just like you.

HotlantaHog

After reading Biggus on another thread, I am almost convinced the recruiting ratings don't mean so much for Nutt. As he pointed out, only about a third of Nutt's recruits ever earned any significant playing time -- most flamed out, dropped out or transferred.

If Petrino does a better job of keeping the talent he recruits and developing it (which never happened under TCTWF), the gap between his recruiting and Nutt's will be a chasm.

40YrHogFan

A major problem for our former coach is that many Mississippi players cannot qualify to get into an SEC school.

Hootie knows that, so he only recruits the ones he thinks he can get in and stay in academically. Thus, between getting out recruited by Miss St because of State winning and Southern Miss taking some that can't get in an SEC school, he will get maybe three of the top 25. That makes him look bad and thus hurts recruiting more, plus it makes the high school coaches mad so they don't help him recruit.

Yep, recruiting just got a whole lot harder for our former coach.

HF_Mudd

[Same can be said about the 3*s and 4 *s. Go back on rivals and check out our past classes and see who has panned out and who hasn't.
[/quote]

I have, that's why I made the statement.  Nobody said anything about 3's until now.  4's have a lower 'dud' rate than 2's have a "wow" rate and of course it's all subjective as to what is a 4 star dud and a two star woo hoo.
But it is fun.

SupaCrawf

The best part is going to be when BP takes that #22 class and develops them into a top 10 team, and HDN takes that #45 class and makes them into a top 100 team, maybe...
I'm kind of a big deal.

Abominable Hillbilly

No.  This is a Razorback message board, not a Houston Nutt fan club site.  Go see Clay or Otis for that. 

Or chuck
"The old man was a good man he raised his children right, taught us how to work hard and showed us how to fight, told us about the good lord and how to use a gun, made me very proud of where it is that I came from"  ***BLACKBERRY SMOKE***

Jim Harris

Quote from: Razorback Jedi on September 12, 2008, 01:55:30 pm
Perhaps a statement of how far HDN knew how to progress a player (coaching). I'd think its easier to get 2*'s to play like 3*s, but harder to get a 4* play like a 5*.

for every 2 star that played like a 3 or 4 star (or 5 star like jamaal Anderson) there was at least one 5 star (the Bat) and some four stars who played like two stars, and some were no stars. The classic, though, was signing 4 stars Rodney Giles and Fred Barnett three different times to bolster that February star count, plus adding a few other bodies that Rivals was magically give 3 stars to, just to fill up the class but yet who had no chance to ever play. They'd whiffed all over the place. And still, "Stars don't matter, Chuck."
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Jim Harris

Quote from: 40YrHogFan on September 12, 2008, 03:19:29 pm
A major problem for our former coach is that many Mississippi players cannot qualify to get into an SEC school.

Hootie knows that, so he only recruits the ones he thinks he can get in and stay in academically. Thus, between getting out recruited by Miss St because of State winning and Southern Miss taking some that can't get in an SEC school, he will get maybe three of the top 25. That makes him look bad and thus hurts recruiting more, plus it makes the high school coaches mad so they don't help him recruit.

Yep, recruiting just got a whole lot harder for our former coach.

So, that quote he had recently about how he's got a better recruiting situation at Oxford than he had at Fayetteville is just more of his b.s., right?
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

deshahawg

I'm sure that by the end of the year those two numbers will be farther apart.

Razorback Jedi

Clearly any mention of Nutt in any positive light will get you nailed by all the witch hunters around here. So I guess we can't talk fondly about Danny Ford, or Kines, or Crow, or Hatfield, or any of the other Razorbacks since they are no longer the head coach.

Tow the company line, or be tarred and feathered. Just a different variation of dictatorship that is employed at other Hog boards.

Razorback Jedi

Quote from: drakehog on September 12, 2008, 03:28:35 pm
for every 2 star that played like a 3 or 4 star (or 5 star like jamaal Anderson) there was at least one 5 star (the Bat) and some four stars who played like two stars, and some were no stars. The classic, though, was signing 4 stars Rodney Giles and Fred Barnett three different times to bolster that February star count, plus adding a few other bodies that Rivals was magically give 3 stars to, just to fill up the class but yet who had no chance to ever play. They'd whiffed all over the place. And still, "Stars don't matter, Chuck."

Again, further proof that the previous coaching staff had little to no ability to develop and create improvement for players beyond their already realized potential. This is an obvious and miserable realization when you consider 98/99 or 2006/2007 as years with potential for truly beautiful results if the coaching would have been many notches higher.

Razorback Jedi

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on September 12, 2008, 03:44:44 pm
Defending him and calling the classes similar is a sign you and your buddies might be trouble.

Or it's a sign that some folks are hyper-vigilant to extricate the naysayers from the midst of the majority. Some people believe that Nutt was the best thing for Hog football, others believe he is the devil reincarnated. Neither party deserves a stay if the other one is being weeded out. But again, that's my opinion not that of one who has the power around here.