Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nutt to simplify offense

Started by Pecos Hog, September 09, 2008, 09:53:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pecos Hog

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080909/SPORTS030103/809090346/1109

"We want to be a much better running team," Nutt said.

Let's see...  there's that one pass blocking scheme that worked so well at Arkansas,  dive right, dive left, smoke draw, and the WILD REBEL.    Snead may as well transfer now.   

fordhog

September 09, 2008, 09:54:50 pm #1 Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 09:56:26 pm by fordhog
When he has a qb that threw 4 tds last game and had won the game for them until he started playing his prevent defense. He blows my mind !!!!! :puke:

elkhog

That didn't take long.  "Let's simplify the offense, so I can call the plays".   8)
GO HOGS!!!

COCHISE

So basically what he's saying is that he will be taking over play calling from his offensive coordinator......SHOCKING!!!

chortle

Going from a one page playbook to a one play playbook.

El Puerco

HAHAHA!  The Ole Miss cretins won't even note this as a warning sign.  Simplify!  Find that one play that you're good at and do it over and over and over and over. Don't worry, Rebel faithful, after he distills your offense down to the dumbest common denominator, he'll promise to "open it up" for years to come.
Tecmo Bowl Champions 2010.  Book it.

cbjagman

Well both Snead and (OC) Kent Austin might as well get ready to pack their bags. The passing "experiment" only lasted two games this time. Did any one at Ole Miss really stop and take the time to really believe that Hootier would allow passing in the offense? If so they haven't been watching or listening over the past ten years.

idochog

Quote from: Pecos Hog on September 09, 2008, 09:53:47 pm
http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080909/SPORTS030103/809090346/1109

Let's see...  there's that one pass blocking scheme that worked so well at Arkansas,  dive right, dive left, smoke draw, and the WILD REBEL.    Snead may as well transfer now.   

Uh, oh.........Watch out for that knife Austin
I love Jesus!

usnavyhogfan

im so glad we can sit back and laugh at this now rather than cringe when thinking about our elementary offense
The dream is free, the journey is not.

Feralhog

Thus begins the regression of Snead.
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

hawgfan80

They almost beat a Top 20 team on the road. The reason they lost was because of their defense. And they want to simplify the offense?

idochog

100 % of practice will now be devoted to the run
I love Jesus!

chortle

Quote from: hawgfan80 on September 09, 2008, 10:05:06 pm
They almost beat a Top 20 team on the road. The reason they lost was because of their defense. And they want to simplify the offense?

Typical Nutt logic.

Just gotta get better...

RocknRollRazorback

They didn't win the TOP last game.  Nutt figured after the game that since that was the most important stat, he better keep the ball on the ground more.
"You're no rock and roll fun! Like a party that's over before it begun. You're no walk in the park- more like a shot in the dark with clues left for no one."

idochog

Quote from: RocknRollRazorback on September 09, 2008, 10:11:19 pm
They didn't win the TOP last game.  Nutt figured after the game that since that was the most important stat, he better keep the ball on the ground more.

Nutt is enamored w/ 2 stats, neither of which leads to wins: Time of possession and rushing yardage.

I think Nutt saw the SEC standing in rushing where Ole Miss ranked 9th out of 12 in the SEC and decided he better fix that brotha
I love Jesus!

moley_russells_wart_hog

WOW its like watching a train wreck in slow motion

3kgthog

Quote from: hawgfan80 on September 09, 2008, 10:05:06 pm

They also kind of lost because their moronic coach left almost 1 minute on the clock. You just don't do that against ranked teams and expect to win.

jgphillips3

Quote from: El Puerco on September 09, 2008, 10:01:59 pm
HAHAHA!  The Ole Miss cretins won't even note this as a warning sign. 

You're probably right.  However, they won't wait ten years to make the change.  This is one of those statements of his that only the most prudent among us saw as warning signs when he was here.  However, there is enough material floating on this board and others that the Rebel faithful should be able to figure out what went wrong somewhere around the 3rd or 4th game of 4th season and drop the axe at the end of the season.

The Boar War

Wow!  I didn't even think it would come this quickly.  Is there a lemon law in Mississippi?

ScotchHog

I predict that one year from today, Nutt will order a "Code Reb" on Snead.
Watch your back, Jevan!
Always waiting

Eddie Piggard

the official "dumbing down" of the offense has begun......Damn!  Where is Danny when you need him?  Oh thats right, at the Sonic getting ice cream for the team...... ;D
Pray for Obama. Psalms 109:8

taintlint

That didn't take long.

As a side note, who knew Jevan Snead was white? Blew my mind.......

centarkswine

The S.S. Ole Miss has just hit the iceberg.

moley_russells_wart_hog

did you see the comments, its like they know somthing isnt adding up
but in houston they trust

i almost feel sorry for them

moley_russells_wart_hog

did any one see the game , i just saw the high lights
... ive said this b4 but snead looked like matt jones back there
a great athlete running around trying to make something happen

Gonzo

"There may be some things we want to do offensively and defensively where we're not trying to do all these plays"

NOT TRYING TO DO ALL THESE PLAYS?!         This is just priceless folks, you can't make up stuff this good. NumbNutt will not let us down, this is going to be fun to watch now that he's someone else's problem. Here's to NumbNutt having a VERY LONG career at Ole Piss (but he won't last 5 years.......maybe much less if he's doing this already)

Go Hogs! Beat Texas!

judgeroyswine

Overcoming the gloom, despair, and agony of Hog fandom since 1961.

SpareRib

"We want to be a much better running team," Nutt said. "... There's too many plays where guys say 'I, uh, I think I get this guy' when I want people on automatic pilot."

Jevan Snead is a great athlete ... now he's toast.  Boy, you could see this coming a mile away.

I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

Pecos Hog

Quote from: moley_russells_wart_hog on September 09, 2008, 10:26:13 pm
did you see the comments, its like they know something isn't adding up
but in Houston they trust

I do too.   Either they are incredibly naive or so desperate that they would believe any liar that comes along.  You think OM fans might get a little mad when they figure out that all his self professed 'success' at Arkansas was actually in spite of him?     

moley_russells_wart_hog

Quote from: Pecos Hog on September 09, 2008, 10:36:14 pm
I do too.   Either they are incredibly naive or so desperate that they would believe any liar that comes along.  You think OM fans might get a little mad when they figure out that all his self professed 'success' at Arkansas was actually in spite of him?    

of course on the other hand our chances of beating ole miss just went way up

Feralhog

Quote from: moley_russells_wart_hog on September 09, 2008, 10:28:51 pm
did any one see the game , i just saw the high lights
... ive said this b4 but snead looked like matt jones back there
a great athlete running around trying to make something happen
I watched the game and the talent level between the two teams leaned fairly heavily toward Ole Miss.  One of the reasons I wasn't disappointed when Grobe was named our coach was demonstrated in this game.  He is the consonant "Take what the D gives" type coach and he stuck to his guns and never panicked.  The result was Nutt lost to a team with less talent yet again. 
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

BigSexyHog

I am laughing so hard right now....  2 games into the season and Nutt is shuting down the offense.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

SpareRib

Quote from: moley_russells_wart_hog on September 09, 2008, 10:26:13 pm
did you see the comments, its like they know somthing isnt adding up
but in houston they trust

That's the way I read them.  At this stage of the game, they have no choice but to give him a chance, but you can really sense the head scratching going on.
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

blunt_hawg

This is one of the biggest differences between Petrino and Nutt...

When players don't execute in a game as well as they need too and Petrino is the coach, he works them in practice so they get better at what he wants them to do.  When players don't execute in a game as well as they need too and Nutt is the coach, he just eliminates it from the playbook so they don't get better.  You can't get better at what you don't practice. 

And this looks like his first attempt at throwing players under the bus.  He didn't take any of the blame for the loss.  He put it on the players not knowing what to do when they were on the field.  Both Petrino and Robinson were taking blame for our game Saturday afterwards, and that's after winning.  Have you ever seen another coach at a major college program making quotes like "uh, I think I got this guy"? 

Reaganite

El Dorko is too insecure, as a former failed QB, to let someone (any OC that has a higher football IQ than him or a QB that can reliably audible) run an offense he can't wrap his head around.

To see this, after Snead really did a decent job against the 20's ranked team in the nation, is utterly amazing.

I thank you, Mississippi University!

PigPusher

September 09, 2008, 10:48:44 pm #35 Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 09:39:51 am by PigPusher
Quote from: Pecos Hog on September 09, 2008, 09:53:47 pm

You should post this in "General Sport."  Nutt is no longer associated with the Razorback program.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

moley_russells_wart_hog

Quote from: BigSexyHog on September 09, 2008, 10:45:00 pm
I am laughing so hard right now....  2 games into the season and Nutt is shuting down the offense.

its deja vu didnt this happen after the last usc game?

fdx flyer

Quote from: taintlint on September 09, 2008, 10:24:00 pm
That didn't take long.

I was surprised also.  In my mind I was thinking Je-vahhn instead of Jeven.  That may have been part of it.

method_hog

I'm actually laughing so hard I' m crying. 

I can stop....

hog_fan

Austin never was calling the plays.

idiotghos

You can't make this stuff up, folks.

jkstock04

I honestly almost feel sorry for Snead. (their QB)  He's the one who's really gonna be getting the short end of the stick.  Nutt will want him to manage the game...not win it for him. 

Houston Nutt's game plan is to run the clock out with a strong and steady rushing attack, essentially keeping the ball away from the opposing team's offense...meanwhile putting all the pressure on the defense to win the game.  He plays for field position instead of touchdowns...and sees time of possesion as a huge neccessity.  He has no killer instinct...he coaches scared and conservative....so of course he wants to simplify...he likes low expectations from fans too.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hawgwash

Quote from: taintlint on September 09, 2008, 10:24:00 pm
That didn't take long.

Dear taintlint,

I knew Jevan Snead was white.

Sincerely,

Rotnei Clarke

NuttinItUp

Can Tecmo Bowl really be simplified much?

webbgem

Quote from: PigPusher on September 09, 2008, 10:48:44 pm
You should post this in "General Sport."  Nutt is longer associated with the Razorback program.

+1
Matthew 6:34

DrSwineESQ

When I saw the title to this thread I started laughing.  Now I can go to bed with a smile on my face.

Feralhog

Ole Killa strikes again.  The comments from rebel fans are priceless.  You gotta believe they're starting to get that sinking feeling in their stomachs that comes from starting to believe those hog fans were right.  In two years time, you'll be able to take posts from this board and transplant Rebel in place of Hogs, and never miss a beat. 

Pecos Hog

I can't help it.  It makes me feel good about the direction of our program now.   We have come so far in such a short time.    And it's so damn funny!

nextlevel

Quote from: moley_russells_wart_hog on September 09, 2008, 10:38:33 pm
of course on the other hand our chances of beating ole miss just went way up

Yea, but if he stays there too long, I'm afraid he'll make miss. state a contender.

Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

honkyfool

Quote from: blunt_hawg on September 09, 2008, 10:46:20 pm

When players don't execute in a game as well as they need too and Petrino is the coach, he works them in practice so they get better at what he wants them to do.  When players don't execute in a game as well as they need too and Nutt is the coach, he just eliminates it from the playbook so they don't get better.  You can't get better at what you don't practice. 

A very, very good point.