Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hurrican Ike and the Texas game [merged]

Started by Razorvet, September 09, 2008, 11:38:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

southeasthog

Quote from: hogvan on September 10, 2008, 06:32:18 pm
I heard season ticket holders might be using their Tulsa ticket to get into the game and that they could print more of those tickets later.  I believe my spouse heard Rick Schaffer say it on the radio. Don't quote me on who said it.  I couldn't believe it either, but it is being talked about.  They want motel rooms for South Texas people.  Sept 27 is Austin City Limits weekend with over 200,000 people in their motels and that won't be a good time for this game.  I think it might be played here this weekend.  Just a hunch.

RS went on to say that he has spoken to no one in the sports department at Arkansas. He was stating partly what he had heard from other sources as possibilitys and his own opionions.

twistitup

Quote from: LJHOG on September 10, 2008, 06:40:44 pm
that's too bad.  lastest track takes if further from austin now. and with track appearing to be shifting a little more east it won't be that bad saturday in austin.  y'all ain't gonna believe this. but, the last destination in the forecast track is fayetteville, ar. at 4 PM sunday as a tropical depression with 30 mph winds, gusts to 40.

Looks to me like it will be going through texas:

http://www.noaawatch.gov/2008/ike.php
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

texas tush hog

A strong rumour out of UT is that Texas has made a proposal to switch their Kansas game
to September 27th in Lawrence to avoid the Austin City Limits weekend conflict and move
the Arkansas game to November 15th. The ball is currently in the Jayhawks court. Stay
tuned.

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogs25 on September 10, 2008, 05:47:35 pm
Really?  They said on Channel 7 at 5 that word will come down some time around 1pm but like most predict it will be cancelled.  They said by kickoff it'll be blowing 110mph. 

Then we need to get all those scientists who are in Switzerland studying the Big Band Machine over here pronto...because a hurricane that maintains 110 mph winds after moving inland 200 miles will be a first, and damn sure worth studying.

LMAO.

Crap, Hurricane Camille...with 205 mph winds as recorded by reconnaissance aircraft and the strongest cyclone EVER TO MAKE LANDFALL ANYWHERE ON EARTH...only maintained hurricane force winds (> 74 mph) 150 miles inland.  It was only a tropical depression by the time it exited northern Mississippi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Camille

That Ike must be a real biyotch!

Newcoachplease

Moving it to Fayetteville the 27th doesn't make sense either because there will be 500,000 bikers up here

babywhiz

Safe is boring. Sweet insanity is the voice saying "I bet we can fit one more in there."

twistitup

Quote from: Newcoachplease on September 10, 2008, 06:50:41 pm
Moving it to Fayetteville the 27th doesn't make sense either because there will be 500,000 bikers up here

27th does not make sense for either town. Saturday in Fayetteville it is!

HotlantaHog

Quote from: texas tush hog on September 10, 2008, 06:47:12 pm
A strong rumour out of UT is that Texas has made a proposal to switch their Kansas game
to September 27th in Lawrence to avoid the Austin City Limits weekend conflict and move
the Arkansas game to November 15th. The ball is currently in the Jayhawks court. Stay
tuned.
That would be awesome!

lazyj70

nuttfreein2008

Why postpone the damn thing?  Play it and get it over with.  Can't someone call Jerry?  That darn thing can be in Dallas by 12:00 Saturday.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 10, 2008, 06:48:25 pm
Then we need to get all those scientists who are in Switzerland studying the Big Band Machine over here pronto...because a hurricane that maintains 110 mph winds after moving inland 200 miles will be a first, and damn sure worth studying.

LMAO.

Crap, Hurricane Camille...with 205 mph winds as recorded by reconnaissance aircraft and the strongest cyclone EVER TO MAKE LANDFALL ANYWHERE ON EARTH...only maintained hurricane force winds (> 74 mph) 150 miles inland.  It was only a tropical depression by the time it exited northern Mississippi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Camille

That Ike must be a real biyotch!

The operative words here are exiting Mississippi.  Isn't everyone severly depressed after traveling through Mississippi.  Camille probably couldn't get through there fast enough.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Porkette

September 10, 2008, 07:04:42 pm #561 Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 09:13:09 pm by Porkette
Moving it to the 27th sounds brutal in the midst of that early SEC schedule. I would rather see us cancel this one altogether and starts getting ready now for the SEC than have this happen.
GO HOGS GO!

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Newcoachplease on September 10, 2008, 06:50:41 pm

Give them all free tickets, and Free beer and then see how Texas likes playing here.  Halftime Entertainment could be a narc beatdown.

And speaking of Bikers anyone catch Sons of Anarchy on FX.  Not bad.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

texas tush hog

Quote from: nuttfreein2008 on September 10, 2008, 06:54:06 pm
Why postpone the damn thing?  Play it and get it over with.  Can't someone call Jerry?  That darn thing can be in Dallas by 12:00 Saturday.

The game will not be played Saturday and will not be moved, if Kansas does not co-operate
it will be in Austin on the 27th with all the problems that would entail but the Big Twelve
offices are in on it now so we'll just wait and see.

HogasaurusRex

Quote from: skull fricker on September 10, 2008, 04:41:12 pm
Riddle me this Taint, how come they play these football games in the frozen tundra, the friggin ice bowls, blizzards, never calling a game due to weather, and now they're gonna let a little drizzle and wind get these texans all uppady? Weather ain't gonna be that bad, Brotha, its game on.(in my butt.)

Quote from: skull fricker on September 10, 2008, 06:26:28 pm
i hear the weather should be decent in Austin, why can't we still play the  game?

Did I mention I am gay?

I am such a homo!

Dude,

What does your sexuality have to do with the Hurricane OR the Texas game.

Are you hoping to "open up the game", "throw it deep", WTH?

There are other website forums for this kinda stuff....GEEZ!

Hawgon

Quote from: babywhiz on September 10, 2008, 06:52:32 pm
This was an interesting site..not sure how accurate it is...
http://www.stormpulse.com/hurricane-ike-2008

According to that site, it will be over San Antonio on Saturday at 1:00 p.m. with winds of 105 MPH.  Uh....they won't be playing a game.  That is very dangerous.

Hawgvillain

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 10, 2008, 07:04:12 pm
The operative words here are exiting Mississippi.  Isn't everyone severly depressed after traveling through Mississippi.  Camille probably couldn't get through there fast enough.
Great post.

HoopS

T Tush.....Kansas?   What about Kansas?   Not being smart, just not sure what you are talking about.

bythelake

I hope that the game is played in Austin on the 27th because Fayetteville is inundated with all the noise and $#% associated with BBB.  BBB is not what you call a good weekend for locals, except if you own a restaraunt and such.  Good time to go to Austin and watch the Hogs win, I hope.

akp4105

Quote from: U.P.  HOGG on September 10, 2008, 06:28:45 pm
Wish I could, but that is what they are saying.  The stencil was just an outline of the hog.  The stencil was done in black.

THe endzones were painted and the sec logos were painted.. seems weird since they werent there yesterday and they only paint them the week of the game.. I'm not saying we're playing the game here.. just saying it could be an option

Feralhog

Ike looks like it may banana slice smack dab into New Orleans!
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

twistitup

Quote from: akp4105 on September 10, 2008, 07:15:26 pm
THe endzones were painted and the sec logos were painted.. seems weird since they werent there yesterday and they only paint them the week of the game.. I'm not saying we're playing the game here.. just saying it could be an option

they only paint the field just before a game is here....game on Saturday!

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: twistitup on September 10, 2008, 06:53:34 pm
27th does not make sense for either town. Saturday in Fayetteville it is!

Yeah, it will be crazier here in Austin on the 27th than it will this weekend in the event of an evacuation.  This town is a mess during ACL.  Hotels are booked solid, police and city personnel have prearranged obligations, and there is the omnipresent stench of....hippies.

HawgFan25

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on September 10, 2008, 07:22:46 pm
Hotels are booked solid, police and city personnel have prearranged obligations, and there is the omnipresent stench of....hippies.

hogsanity

Quote from: Feralhog on September 10, 2008, 07:19:19 pm
Ike looks like it may banana slice smack dab into New Orleans!

I told everyone yesterday that it would right hook right into my vacation.  Only 1 model is projecting a sharp right tunr, showing it htting between Mobile, Al and Pensacola, Fl.  Or, in other words, RIGHT WHERE I AM SUPPOSED TO BE AT THAT TIME.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

opineonswine

Reconnaissance aircraft data late this afternoon indicates that Ike has two well-defined wind maxima of roughly equal strength. Recon aircraft also found maximum winds of 100 mph and a central pressure of 958 millibars. The wind radius associated with Ike is already extremely large and takes up the entire eastern 1/2 of the Gulf of Mexico. Ike has also created minor surge flooding along Florida's west coast some 250 miles from the center. The environmental conditions in the Gulf of Mexico remain favorable for strengthening, including light shear and strongly diffluent upper-level outflow for the next couple of days. All of the intensity models forecast Ike to become at least a Category 3 hurricane with the GFDL and HWRF models forecasting Ike to intensify to Category 4 strength and make landfall at Category 4 strength.

I expect Ike will strengthen to a mid to upper Category 3 hurricane (120 to 130 mph) within the next 24 hours and then potentially strength to a upper Category 3 or low end Category 4 hurricane (130 to 140 mph) by late Thursday night or during the day Friday. I then am forecasting Ike to maintain upper Category 3 or low end Category 4 strength (130 to 140 mph) right through landfall, which is anticipated to be around dawn Saturday morning. I want to explicitly state that this is a VERY DANGEROUS situation. A borderline Category 3-Category 4 hurricane is forecast to make landfall on the Texas coast around dawn Saturday morning.

Ike is currently tracking northwest at a forward speed of 8 mph. Ike is currently moving northwestward toward a weakness in the ridge of high pressure. This ridge of high pressure is forecast to build in over the day or two, which should cause Ike to turn more west-northwest until Ike approaches a trough of low pressure forecast to cover the western United States by Friday. All of the latest track model guidance turns Ike northward to varying degrees just as Ike is making landfall. There has been a northward shift in some of the guidance, particularly the GFDL and GFS models. It is to be expected that subtle changes in the model evolution of the western trough of low pressure and the ridge of high pressure over the southeastern United States will lead to guidance flip flops over the next day or two, so the key will be to follow any overall model trends and not to any particular model.

Ok, here is my thinking this evening: My thinking from this morning for a landfall area has not really changed a whole lot in spite of the dramatic shifts northward of the GFDL model. I continue to follow the European model and I think Ike will end up making landfall somewhere between Corpus Christi and Galveston around dawn Saturday morning. This area is centered right on an area around Port O' Connor, Matagorda and Port Lavaca. I anticipate Ike to make landfall as a borderline Category 3-Category 4 hurricane with winds of 130 to 140 mph. The forecast track of Ike is by no means set in stone and everyone along the entire Texas coast into southwestern Louisiana should be preparing for a major hurricane landfall. Ike is also expected to be a very large storm in overall size and some effects from the storm will be felt all over the Gulf of Mexico.

A Hurricane Watch is now in effect from Cameron, Louisiana to Port Mansfield, Texas. For the latest information about Ike, including current watches and warnings, please visit our Hurricane Ike Page.

Residents under evacuation orders, please complete your preparations and leave. This is a very serious hurricane threat. A large and destructive storm surge will cross the middle and upper Texas coast. Failure to evacuate may result in loss of life.
Let me lay out the potential destruction caused by a Category 3 and a Category 4 hurricane:
Category 3 Hurricane: Structural damage to small residences and utility buildings with a minor amount of wall failures. Damage to shrubbery and trees with foliage blown off trees and large trees blown down. Mobile homes and poorly constructed signs are destroyed. Low-lying escape routes are cut by rising water 3 to 5 hours before arrival of the center of the hurricane. Flooding near the coast destroys smaller structures with larger structures damaged by battering from floating debris. Terrain continuously lower than 5 feet above mean sea level may be flooded inland 8 miles or more.

Category 4 Hurricane: Extensive wall failures with some complete roof structure failures on small residences. Shrubs, trees, and all signs are blown down. Complete destruction of mobile homes. Extensive damage to doors and windows. Low-lying escape routes may be cut by rising water 3 to 5 hours before arrival of the center of the hurricane. Major damage to lower floors of structures near the shore. Terrain lower than 10 feet above sea level may be flooded requiring massive evacuation of residential areas as far inland as 6 miles.

As already stated, this is an extremely large hurricane and the effects will be very far reaching. Tropical storm force winds will extend outward up to 220 miles at landfall with hurricane force winds extending outward up to 90 miles. Ike's very strong winds will extend well inland due to the hurricane's accelerating speed at landfall. Damaging hurricane force winds are likely in an area bounded in the following line: Freeport to Giddings to Gonzales to Rockport. Tropical storm force winds will likely extend inland to Dallas and Tyler and quite possibly into southeastern Oklahoma.
In conclusion, this is a VERY DANGEROUS situation. A borderline Category 3-Category 4 hurricane is forecast to make landfall on the central Texas coast near Port O' Connor, Matagorda and Port Lavaca around dawn Saturday morning. Residents under evacuation orders, please complete your preparations and leave. This is a very serious hurricane threat. A large and destructive storm surge will cross the middle and upper Texas coast. Failure to evacuate may result in loss of life.

HoopS

West Galveston Isl has a mandatory evac starting at 7am Thurs.

BloodRedHog

Opine, the cut and paste is killin me....can you condense or create paragraphs....
Handling all your mortgage and home financing needs...

razorbackkid

Hogsanity, I'm approxiately 80 miles from Navarre, Florida (northeast).  Andalusia, Al..  If you want to drop by...pm me.  If Arkansas and Texass don't play we can get drunk.  If they do play we can get drunker.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

texas tush hog

Quote from: HoopS on September 10, 2008, 07:10:59 pm
T Tush.....Kansas?   What about Kansas?   Not being smart, just not sure what you are talking about.

Apparently you missed my earlier post. Sources out of UT earlier today told me that there were ongoing negotiations for Kansas and Texas to move their game in
Lawrence on November the 15th to Sept. 27th thereby avoiding the Austin City
limits music festival on the 27th in Austin and freeing up that date to play the
Arkansas-Texas game on that date. It is rather complicated with a promise of
national TV for UT-Kansas on the 27th and other incentives for Kansas but it
is their decision. That would leave us playing Texas on November the 15th. Have
not heard anything since noon except that the game Saturday will be postponed
and details later. Expect an announcement soon. The rescheduling will probably
come out later but I anticipate an announcement on the postponement tonight
or by noon tomorrow.

hog_fan

Quote from: twistitup on September 10, 2008, 07:22:03 pm
they only paint the field just before a game is here....game on Saturday!

Why do you have this info and our coach doesn't? Petrino said it would not be played here.

HoopS

DoubleReedHawgCaller

I think it misses texass all together look out lsu!!!!!!!!!!
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

texas tush hog

Quote from: HoopS on September 10, 2008, 08:06:16 pm
Interesting.   Thanks Tush. 

Bear in mind, this is still speculation at this point but I do know discussions have been
held but I'm sure they will be denied if they fall through. By the way the latest track
I have seen down here shows it dead over Austin at 1:00 P.M. Saturday with winds
exceeding 75MPH

Jellohawg

For God's sake, stay home!!!!!!!!!!  The game will be cancelled early Thursday.  Don't risk your life, hell it's not worth it! 

akp4105

Quote from: texas tush hog on September 10, 2008, 08:12:58 pm
Bear in mind, this is still speculation at this point but I do know discussions have been
held but I'm sure they will be denied if they fall through. By the way the latest track
I have seen down here shows it dead over Austin at 1:00 P.M. Saturday with winds
exceeding 75MPH

The discussions have more than just the nov 15th rescheduling.. they are discussing the spet 27th date.. moving it to arkansas, along with a few different scenarios.. including cancelling the game altogether.. Everyone just need to wait until the announcement is made and quit thinking they know exactly what is going to happen. The people in charge are discussing the possible scenarios and it will be decided on soon enough.. Patience.

threeNout

I do think it's possible that playing the game this weekend in fayetteville is being currently pushed as an option by Long.

Not that it will happen, but they may be trying. It would explain the logos being painted. It also is quickly appearing to be the best option.

The idea floated earlier about switching around with Kansas for for 27th would meet the same problem as us playing there the 27th, the Austin City Limit thing.

If we move out of the 230 time slot for Saturday, don't we risk losing the TV deal, the money?

Trainor was quick to squelch the Fayetteville rumor in his 7:22 comments and Petrino says no, but that just may be marching orders while negotiations are still underway.

Haha, I'm trying my best to "wishful think" this into happening.

It may not seem like a good option, but currently I'm not sure which option is better.

Quite Frankly

People.  Grab a clue.  Fayetteville can NOT host a game the weekend of the 27th EVEN IF that possibility existed as a solution.

akp4105

Quote from: threeNout on September 10, 2008, 08:16:17 pm
I do think it's possible that playing the game this weekend in fayetteville is being currently pushed as an option by Long.

Not that it will happen, but they may be trying. It would explain the logos being painted. It also is quickly appearing to be the best option.

The idea floated earlier about switching around with Kansas for for 27th would meet the same problem as us playing there the 27th, the Austin City Limit thing.

If we move out of the 230 time slot for Saturday, don't we risk losing the TV deal, the money?

Trainor was quick to squelch the Fayetteville rumor in his 7:22 comments and Petrino says no, but that just may be marching orders while negotiations are still underway.

It may not seem like a good option, but currently I'm not sure which option is better.

If moved to nov 15th.. they are saying the Kansas game would be played at Kansas on Sept 27th.. I doubt this happens..

texas tush hog

Quote from: threeNout on September 10, 2008, 08:16:17 pm

The Kansas game is in Lawrence.

texas tush hog

Quote from: akp4105 on September 10, 2008, 08:15:35 pm
The discussions have more than just the nov 15th rescheduling.. they are discussing the spet 27th date.. moving it to arkansas, along with a few different scenarios.. including cancelling the game altogether.. Everyone just need to wait until the announcement is made and quit thinking they know exactly what is going to happen. The people in charge are discussing the possible scenarios and it will be decided on soon enough.. Patience.

I concur.

threeNout

Quote from: akp4105 on September 10, 2008, 08:18:49 pm
If moved to nov 15th.. they are saying the Kansas game would be played at Kansas on Sept 27th.. I doubt this happens..

got it, that game is going to be in Lawerence anyway, OK.

rules

Austin is 4.5 hours from the coast - the game will be palyed - the only reason to cancel is lighting.

:razorback:

Feralhog

Quote from: rules on September 10, 2008, 09:22:14 pm
Austin is 4.5 hours from the coast - the game will be palyed - the only reason to cancel is lighting.

:razorback:
You might want to check the sticky at the top of the board.
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

HoopS

retired-rambler

Just heard on Fox News in NWA game has been cancelled.  Got on it late don't know about the make up date.

hoginator

Quote from: retired-rambler on September 10, 2008, 09:33:27 pm
Just heard on Fox News in NWA game has been cancelled.  Got on it late don't know about the make up date.
Check out the MMQB main page. It has been rescheduled to September 27th...
Someone who doesn't stand for something will fall for anything...