Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone else wishing we had Ellis Johnson?

Started by The Realist, September 04, 2008, 08:31:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Realist

"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

hs6

Table Rocker

Erockster20

South Carolina's Defense looks REALLY good!  After last week I am a little worried about ol Willie.  But I thought Ellis was a great hire to begin with and seeing him in action the last two weeks confirms for me we lost a great one when he bolted.

SkunkyMunky

NEED MORE THREADS ON THIS! 3 is not enough...
"Do you want to be safe and good, or do you want to take a chance and be great?"
Jimmy Johnson

"Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple."
Barry Switzer

jgphillips3

He did great at MSU and this defense is looking pretty good too.  They have some nice athletes in there and I don't think as young and thin as we are we would look this good with him as coordinator just yet, but he is a fine defensive coordinator and I hate that he left us so quickly.

Bacons Rebellion

I wish our Johnson had players equivalent to their Johnson.

Experience wise, anyway.

Pigdiana Jones

Give our DC some time, it takes some time to get them up to par after what TCTWF left us.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

hs6

JIHawg

REALTOR Hog

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on September 04, 2008, 08:38:40 pm
I wish our Johnson had players equivalent to their Johnson.

Experience wise, anyway.

Huh? Our defensive coordinator is Willie Robinson, not Willie Johnson?
- GO HOGS -

RazorBacker215

Willy will be fine, it was his first game. Willy doesn't have a lot to work with thanks to all of the personell problems. Give him time, 3 games maybe?

Table Rocker

sihog

Quote from: The Realist on September 04, 2008, 08:31:00 pm
South Carolina D is looking pretty good
Not sure it is Ellis, maybe the players are very good, at this point you can not compare Ellis vs. Willy.
GO HOGS GO

cookie52

I think Robinson will be good given time. We played a LOT of freshmen the other night, and they did the fundamentals well (out of WR's mouth, not mine).  We gave up over 150 yards rushing, but that was on almost 50 attempts too. We're young. By the time the 7th or 8th game rolls around, we'll be alright.

RazorBacker215

Quote from: donewithdale on September 04, 2008, 08:57:34 pm
Could we have South Carolina's players as well?  They return 10 [CENSORED] starters from last year. 

When will we get tired of bashing coaches?  Can't we at least take a break for a season and allow our program to rebuild?

+1

RustyNuts

Ellis Johnson is not our coach and never was. I will take Willie, he wanted to be here. Lets give the guy a little time. Some people need to take a step back and let our coaches do some coaching before we throw them under the bus. I like his attitude and i believe he will get the defense rollin.

Michael Porkleone

Wow - this is really early to be having this discussion. 

They were put into totally different situations - we have a fragmented defense playing MANY underclassmen (due to assault and battery, drugs, and DUIs)

Let's judge this staff after they have a at least a few games experience. 
Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: mhunterg13 on September 04, 2008, 08:46:34 pm
Huh? Our defensive coordinator is Willie Robinson, not Willie Johnson?

Our Johnson is Reggie. Linebackers.

El Puerco

woopigsooie89

I think our willy is better than their johnson (no pun intended).. ok yes it was intended

BigSexyHog

Quote from: donewithdale on September 04, 2008, 08:57:34 pm
Could we have South Carolina's players as well?  They return 10 [CENSORED] starters from last year. 

When will we get tired of bashing coaches?  Can't we at least take a break for a season and allow our program to rebuild?

+1 from me as well.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Hoggish1

COCHISE

Willy's defense gave up 105 passing yds and 157 rushing for a total of 262, we can do better and we will, but for our first game and playing so many freshman, I'll take it.  I think we'll start seeing a huge improvement over the next game or two when our starters begin returning from injury and suspension.

linze82

smite me bishes

WilsonHog

September 04, 2008, 10:04:08 pm #26 Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 10:06:03 pm by WilsonHog
Step back and take this in.

Jerry Franklin, Jelani Smith, Elton Ford, and Jerrico Nelson played every snap last Saturday night. Not spot duty as one might expect. Not even split duty. Every snap.

This time last year Franklin was on the scout team defense and Smith, Ford, and Nelson were still in high school.

While they didn't start, three other true freshmen - Tramain Thomas, Lavunce Askew, and Zack Stadther - logged significant snaps on defense.

Matt Harris and Isaac Madison earned their first starts as Razorbacks - between them they made three tackles last year.

Also consider this. We were without the services last week of Freddy Burton, Elston Forte, Ryan Powers, and Walner Leandre. All of them had more experience than those Razorbacks who took their places Saturday night.

Some of us seem to think that any player - regardless of experience or ability - automatically becomes a hell-raiser on defense just by buckling the chin strap on his Razorback helmet.

3kgthog

I've figured out one of two things tonight: Either NC State is one of the worst teams in college football or South Carolina just had their best game ever last weekend.

BigSexyHog

Quote from: 3kgthog on September 04, 2008, 10:14:34 pm
I've figured out one of two things tonight: Either NC State is one of the worst teams in college football or South Carolina just had their best game ever last weekend.

I am going with a little of both... THe cocks played lights out and NC State is freakin horrible.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

ckhawgu

SC's defense not really looking to good at the moment to me.

Lake City Hog

WilsonHog

I'll be stunned if Vandy wins this one. They often play teams close by rarely can close it out.

Unless they're playing us in Fayetteville, of course. Then all bets are off.

Newhopehog

SC D couldn't stop them when the chips were down...

Arazorbackguy1

I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

bigarrazorback

Razorhogs

I would rather have a Willy than a Johnson.

Ripsnort

Eillis bolted for SC ,remember that

ohyea vandy wins
Image exceeds signature guidelines.

idiotghos

Ellis Johnson's defense just got overpowered in the fourth quarter by Vandy's backup tailback.

RickyRoma

GuvHog

Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

cityhog

TripleJ

haha this is what happens when you start a dumb thread half way into a game

Simple Swineman

Quote from: TripleJ on September 04, 2008, 11:06:16 pm
haha this is what happens when you start a dumb thread half way into a game

or after one game of a 12 game season

hogpowr

:razorback:

.....not so much.

:razorback:
Welcome Coach Bielema!

Man_O_Pork

Add me to the "no" crowd.

But I sure bet Ellis wishes he'd stayed in Arkansas right about now.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The Realist on September 04, 2008, 08:31:00 pm
South Carolina D is looking pretty good

Yeah, they just got their arse's handed to them. I'll stick with WR.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 04, 2008, 10:04:08 pm
Step back and take this in.

Jerry Franklin, Jelani Smith, Elton Ford, and Jerrico Nelson played every snap last Saturday night. Not spot duty as one might expect. Not even split duty. Every snap.

This time last year Franklin was on the scout team defense and Smith, Ford, and Nelson were still in high school.

While they didn't start, three other true freshmen - Tramain Thomas, Lavunce Askew, and Zack Stadther - logged significant snaps on defense.

Matt Harris and Isaac Madison earned their first starts as Razorbacks - between them they made three tackles last year.

Also consider this. We were without the services last week of Freddy Burton, Elston Forte, Ryan Powers, and Walner Leandre. All of them had more experience than those Razorbacks who took their places Saturday night.

Some of us seem to think that any player - regardless of experience or ability - automatically becomes a hell-raiser on defense just by buckling the chin strap on his Razorback helmet.

I don't disagree, BUT, I just saw Vandy's O-Line, that had a cumulative 12 starts among them, open gaping holes in a S. Carolina defense that had 10 returning starters. Coaching and desire CAN and often times DOES make a huge difference. I admit that this was rare to witness, but if it can be done at one place on one occasion, it can be doen elsewhere. It just remains to be seen if our kids can step up, be duely motivated and overachieve as we need them to, to win at last 8 games. We will see.
Go Hogs Go!

1highhog

Jphnson left because he seen how depleted our talent was on our defense.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: 1highhog on September 05, 2008, 04:33:45 am
Jphnson left because he seen how depleted our talent was on our defense.

Is that what he told you personally?
Go Hogs Go!

Bacons Rebellion

They were really good in the first quarter and couldn't even stop simple handoffs by the end of the game. Must have really tired out.