Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So who is the "respected" member of the AR media Jim Harris is referring to...

Started by razorbackmkh, August 31, 2008, 09:28:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

parrishw

There are not any 'well respected' members of the Arkansas medie outside of Mike Irwin are there?

hoghearted

It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: razorbackmkh on August 31, 2008, 09:28:35 pm
http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/sports_article.asp?aID=107798.29155.119918&page=3

Naturally, it only took until halftime, when Western held a 10-7 lead, until a well-respected media member who backed Houston Nutt during all the Malzahn-Mustain drama of 2006-07 said to us, "I guess Houston Nutt wasn't such a bad coach."

Are you kidding me? Any guesses?

Whoever it was, he is a very football-uneducated and immature person. Period. No debating it. Further, I doubt it was a "well-respected" media member. Probably was Otis and no way is he a respected media member.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

AckaBacka

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/sports_article.asp?aID=107798.29155.119918&page=3

Naturally, it only took until halftime, when Western held a 10-7 lead, until a well-respected media member who backed Houston Nutt during all the Malzahn-Mustain drama of 2006-07 said to us, "I guess Houston Nutt wasn't such a bad coach."

I wish someone would have asked him what in the hell Houston would have done with that bunch, minus Joe Adams? 

havok

Hard to say.. 99% of the Arkansas press acted like Houston Nutt Groupies, willing to do their Best Sweet Connie Impersonations, in hopes of a Backstage/Locker room pass.  10 years on reporting from the Kneeling position has to take a while to fix itself.

Mark Lericos

Quote from: Hugulus Hog on August 31, 2008, 10:28:22 pm
Lericos or Irwin.

Ha!  That would be the last thing out of my mouth... even in the "sanctuary" of the press box.

Most of the print guys are grouped together though... FWIW.  ;)

HognotinMemphis

Several of you mention Nutt in this thread. If you think Nutt is going to do well at Ole Miss, you'll be in for a shock. His SEC record this year at Ole Miss won't be any better than Petrino's SEC record at Arkansas this year, if as good.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 01, 2008, 09:14:38 am
Several of you mention Nutt in this thread. If you think Nutt is going to do well at Ole Miss, you'll be in for a shock. His SEC record this year at Ole Miss won't be any better than Petrino's SEC record at Arkansas this year, if as good.

Petrino is gonna punch Houston in his Nutts and make him like it!
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

hawgalujah

Once a  :razorback:, Always a  :razorback:..Unless you're a Nutt!

HedgeDweller

Quote from: fatman423 on August 31, 2008, 11:52:57 pm
I liked the two sentences that follow that:

"No, he was able with Darren McFadden and Felix Jones to outmatch two-third of the team's oponents last year. Let's not forget that Joe Adams would have been at Charlottesville, Va., with the rest of the Southern Cal Trojans this weekend had Nutt remained as Arkansas' coach."

Adams is good, don't get me wrong.
But I'm not sure Adams would have made the traveling squad with USC this year.
They are loaded.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: HedgeDweller on September 01, 2008, 09:36:12 am
Adams is good, don't get me wrong.
But I'm not sure Adams would have made the traveling squad with USC this year.
They are loaded.

He may have redshirted because they are stacked,  but  not because he isn't  talented enough for them.

Damian Williams is working out just fine at USC,  but late in '06 the Nutt slurpers were calling him a scrub who couldn't run routes and couldn't catch the ball.

Piss on Nutt and all who still support him.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

hog_fan

Mr. Hog

Go Hogs Go!

Head Dahn Hog

What an idiot!  Since it was definitely somebody in the print media, Nate Allen has to be the front-runner.......
No excuses!  Play like a champion today!

BigDeal

I'm telling you A LOT of people were saying that Saturday night ! I have heard the same thing firsthand.

I thank you.

Abominable Hillbilly

"The old man was a good man he raised his children right, taught us how to work hard and showed us how to fight, told us about the good lord and how to use a gun, made me very proud of where it is that I came from"  ***BLACKBERRY SMOKE***

Head Dahn Hog

Quote from: ScottFaldon on September 01, 2008, 10:33:02 am
Why are you sure it's a press member instead of a TV or radio guy?

Lericos more or less alluded to that point.  You have any insight on the subject? 

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: BigDeal on September 01, 2008, 10:25:24 am
I'm telling you A LOT of people were saying that Saturday night ! I have heard the same thing firsthand.

I thank you.

Sitting with your fellow Nutthuggers, I would expect that from you.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

Mark Lericos

Quote from: ScottFaldon on September 01, 2008, 10:43:12 am
Lericos said print guys usually hang together. But it's not like a junior high cafeteria where cliques stick together and don't mingle. You talk to people you know, regardless of where they work. And everybody chats around the buffet line.

It could just as easily be a TV reporter/anchor or radio guy.

This is true. Although it had the feel of something you would say sitting and watching the game, so my thought was that the print people sit along the front row... it was a print guy. Deductive reasoning, but still a guess.

I just know it wasn't me.

turbo2000

Did the media last year not make a big deal about people making negative comments about Nutt without any accountability?

Head Dahn Hog

Lericos said print guys usually hang together. But it's not like a junior high cafeteria where cliques stick together and don't mingle. You talk to people you know, regardless of where they work. And everybody chats around the buffet line.

I'm not saying he knows who it was, it just seemed like a not so subtle hint.

Regardless, the comment isn't suprising.

Mark Lericos

Quote from: ScottFaldon on September 01, 2008, 10:52:33 am
But Jim wrote "... it only took until halftime ..." that made me think the statement was made during some mingling near the cookies on the buffet line.

Don't remind me about the brown hot dogs.  :P

Head Dahn Hog

Quote from: Mark [Scoop] Lericos on September 01, 2008, 10:49:11 am
  This is true. Although it had the feel of something you would say sitting and watching the game, so my thought was that the print people sit along the front row... it was a print guy. Deductive reasoning, but still a guess.

Seems like logical reasoning.  Thanks for the insight.

Doesn't really matter who said it.  That line of thinking sounds like the same type of BS we've been getting fed for the last few years.

Pig_Lebowski

Sounds like a good story growing, which means it will die on the vine with the Arkansas media.

Hollywood_HOGan45

bet it was harry king or nate allen.

anybody who supports that piece of freaking trash IS a piece of freaking trash.

screw anybody who says anything good about nutt.

jmark

You see, that is the problem that should have been addressed by the new Athletic Department and the UofA.

The AD and UA have never come clean with the terror tactics that they used against the media last year.  They threatened media writers, tv, and radio sports casters with being banished from the UA media corp, thereby losing their (total - all sports) coverage.

By now the UA is not going to fess up about any wrong doing by the past administrators/coaches.  But a media problem still divides the fan base.  AD Long should have addressed this issue and "cleared the air."  The current BAC was LUCKY to hire Bobby P. and his staff.  His hiring has done more to unite the fan base than anything so far.  Bobby P. has remained a professional coach and state employee, not lending himself or his staff to be caught up in the continued debate over Nutt huggers and Nutt haters.

It seems to me, if the UA AD wants a new start, they should have replaced the football radio broadcast announcers, Chuck and Keef.  They were involved in the Nutt fallout.  Now every Razorback radio broadcast will have the names and voices of fan division.  Maybe AD Long did not have a choice in replacing Chuck and Keef this year with Chuck being a UA employee and next year's new SEC tv contracts.  I don't know.  but surely Mr. Long has to realize the media hugger/hater issues need to be resolved now.

Sometimes bad publicity is good publicity.  As long as "voice of the Razorbacks" is a controversial personality, its keeps fan interest fueled.

40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

Hawgrox

I can't believe you people are being so blind to this...it's so obvious...it was Popcorn Hog!

Seriously...I go with Nate Allen.

forrest city joe

Whoever made that statement to Jim Harris, knows very little about football.there is no comparison between coach BP and the Guy we fired.here is the deal folks.it is going to take time for our new coach to dig out of the ditch we are in.there will be hard times along the way.but in the long run, we are all going to be very happy.BP will build this program into a national power. we all just have to be patient.

hoghearted

Quote from: ScottFaldon on September 01, 2008, 11:14:50 am
I've never heard of the UA has ever threatening to pull media passes over coverage or opinions issued.

If the UA ever did that, it would raise a stink across the nation with the AP, APSE, SPJ and various other journalists' organizations getting involved. It would cause more headaches than it would solve.

Of course they wouldn't come out and have a direct frontal attack. However, Frank has enough big money allies that his friends might pressure editors through threat of advertising pullouts. It wouldn't even have to be outright threats. Subtle intimidation goes a long way when it comes down to big money.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Dugann

By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

hendrix08hog

Nate Allen or Sunshine Rick.

Nate loved Nutt and I got ticked off anytime he implied that Nutt was a good coach.

Schaeffer needs compensation for his terrible attendance predictions.
FTS BABY

Head Dahn Hog

Quote from: forrest city joe on September 01, 2008, 11:14:20 am
Whoever made that statement to Jim Harris, knows very little about football.there is no comparison between coach BP and the Guy we fired.here is the deal folks.it is going to take time for our new coach to dig out of the ditch we are in.there will be hard times along the way.but in the long run, we are all going to be very happy.BP will build this program into a national power. we all just have to be patient.

Spot on as usual Joe.  If anything, Saturday night was a further indictment against the former coach for the shape he left the program in after 10 years.

hoghearted

Quote from: ScottFaldon on September 01, 2008, 11:27:42 am
Why would a business owner hurt his own company's bottom line at Frank's request? He didn't have that much power over people. "You know Frank, my business is down 10 percent since I stopped advertising but I'll keep doing it for you."

Maybe, just maybe, the opinions expressed by the media are their actual opinions and not foisted upon them by threats or intimidation.

Maybe so, Scott. But I didn't say they would quit advertising. I said they could hint that they'd move their advertising to an outlet that was a little more 'friendly' in their coverage.

jmark

Quote from: ScottFaldon on September 01, 2008, 11:14:50 am
I've never heard of the UA has ever threatening to pull media passes over coverage or opinions issued.

If the UA ever did that, it would raise a stink across the nation with the AP, APSE, SPJ and various other journalists' organizations getting involved. It would cause more headaches than it would solve.

Well sorry Scott, but it happened.

Why did Mike Irwin leave the morning radio show, or quit posting on Hogville?
Do you know Bob Caudle?

hoghearted

Quote from: ScottFaldon on September 01, 2008, 11:39:36 am
What, the Thrifty Nickel? Any advertiser big enough to impact a media outlet's bottom line is already running ads everywhere.

Maybe some mom-and-pop pharmacy might drop advertising because the owner doesn't like a certain columnist. Or move to radio. But that revenue is easily made up by small business owners who agree with the columnist.

I'm telling you, all opinions expressed by the media are ones formed by the individual media members. And not a result of pressure from the UA.

If that is so, then the lot of them should be fired for incompetence. Calling Houston Nutt a better coach than Petrino, or even hinting it, displays a level of ignorance that is unacceptable in a sports journalist.

Pig_Lebowski

What, the Thrifty Nickel? Any advertiser big enough to impact a media outlet's bottom line is already running ads everywhere.

Maybe some mom-and-pop pharmacy might drop advertising because the owner doesn't like a certain columnist. Or move to radio. But that revenue is easily made up by small business owners who agree with the columnist.

I'm telling you, all opinions expressed by the media are ones formed by the individual media members. And not a result of pressure from the UA.

As weak as the Arkansas media is concerning criticism of the Program, past or present, it appears that Frank's heavy hand in very evident on who covers the Razorbacks, and what they report. 

phoggy

The truth of the matter is that we will never know who it was because they will never have the cajones to admit it publicly. They know their media outlet would suffer and we all know shiite rolls downhill.
Because of the climate of political correctness now pervading America, those of us in Arkansas will no longer be referred to as HILLBILLIES. We ask that you now refer to us as OZARK-AMERICANS.Thank you!....Now if you'll excuse me, I got possums to fry.

Mark Lericos

Quote from: ScottFaldon on September 01, 2008, 11:56:45 am
Second-largest paper in the state based on circulation size, thank you very much.

I really think Mythbusters needs to devote an entire episode to the UA. They could start with the Blank/Home Depot/ESPN conspiracy and then move on to the "media is pressured by the UA with threats and intimidation."

I'm not saying individual coaches don't say "Why'd you write that!?!" or even yell at members of the media. That happens everywhere. I am saying there is no institutional intimidation or threats being issued by the SID staff.

I would agree. Individual coaches can act on their own and make it difficult for media they don't like... but the institution would never go that route. Not in the day and age of internet, and word would spread like wildfire through the journalism ranks... followed by an angry mob of media outside the broyles center (which would be funny to see actually).

The U of A has a good thing going, a TON of media coverage compared to other programs in the SEC (read: Auburn, Ole Miss, Georgia, etc).  It wouldn't make any sense.

jmark

Quote from: Mark [Scoop] Lericos on September 01, 2008, 12:02:29 pm
  I would agree. Individual coaches can act on their own and make it difficult for media they don't like... but the institution would never go that route. Not in the day and age of internet, and word would spread like wildfire through the journalism ranks... followed by an angry mob of media outside the broyles center (which would be funny to see actually).

The U of A has a good thing going, a TON of media coverage compared to other programs in the SEC (read: Auburn, Ole Miss, Georgia, etc).  It wouldn't make any sense.

Frank was the institution.

And he swung his weight.

What did Frank say to Bo Matt when he broke the Malzahn hiring story?

taintlint

This isn't 1960 anymore. Some of you need to go on a walk. Frank Broyles hasn't been relevant, nor has the UA's "power", in decades.

ESPN doesn't hate us, Home Depot doesn't give a frick about us or who coaches our team, Frank Broyles has as much relevance as I do, and it's long over due that some of you remove the tin foil from your head.

Of course shady things happen and coaches can make things hard, but the ridiculous conspiracy theories you clowns come up with are laughable.

(If this gets deleted, it's because someone in the Broyles Center, ESPN, Home Depot, NASDAQ, NYSE, NAFTA, or the UN took it off.)

SwinedMelon

Quote from: Hoot72 on August 31, 2008, 09:38:13 pm
    I'm not a Clay Henry fan -- but he is the one in today's paper, that quoted the HS coach as saying that the previous coach could have never engineered that 4th quarter comeback.  Appears that ol' Clay wants people to know/think that he is now on the Petrino bandwagon.
Clay is very, very pro-Petrino... seems to me he thinks BP is an upgrade over HN... I am an HI prem member.
"Bar-keep, another go around again. One for me and whats-his-name, my new best friend!"

AckaBacka

That is a more damning indictment of the Ark media than if they were cowed by threats from the BAC.  If what you are saying is true, it means that they just didnt have it in them to begin with. 

porkurina

IMO the comment had nothing to do with actual coaching but had more to do with being friends with someone.  It's easy to overlook a friend's faults and make excuses for them.  And to find fault with very decsion his replacement makes.  The problem is that it affects the "friend's"  job performance.

Wooisme

Quote from: Mark [Scoop] Lericos on September 01, 2008, 10:49:11 am

Gee...Two SHILLERS, no waiting.    ;)
HDN: DID LESS with MORE than any coach in Razorback History.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: ScottFaldon on September 01, 2008, 11:56:45 am
Second-largest paper in the state based on circulation size, thank you very much.

I really think Mythbusters needs to devote an entire episode to the UA. They could start with the Blank/Home Depot/ESPN conspiracy and then move on to the "media is pressured by the UA with threats and intimidation."

I'm not saying individual coaches don't say "Why'd you write that!?!" or even yell at members of the media. That happens everywhere. I am saying there is no institutional intimidation or threats being issued by the SID staff.

I'm a man! I'm 40!

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: RZBC9 on September 01, 2008, 02:51:42 pm
I'm not a well respected member of the media, and I can't stand Nutt or his posse...... With the score at halftime(in the heat of the moment) I made the same comment to friends... The truth is it was an emotional game and we almost lost to q lower tier school... I support Coach Petrino and the Razorbacks so forgive me for being emotional in the heat of battle....

There's no excuse for EVER thinking Nutt "wasn't that bad of a coach".  EVER.

He was/is HORRIBLE, and nothing will change that.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

hoghearted

Quote from: AckaBacka on September 01, 2008, 01:57:49 pm
That is a more damning indictment of the Ark media than if they were cowed by threats from the BAC.  If what you are saying is true, it means that they just didnt have it in them to begin with. 

Exactly as I said. If this is true that this is their opinion that Nutt>Petrino as a coach, then the lot should be fired for incompetence.

OKhogfan1959

Quote from: BigDeal on September 01, 2008, 10:25:24 am

I thank you.

LIAR! Don't believe you!