Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So who is the "respected" member of the AR media Jim Harris is referring to...

Started by razorbackmkh, August 31, 2008, 09:28:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorbackmkh

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/sports_article.asp?aID=107798.29155.119918&page=3

Naturally, it only took until halftime, when Western held a 10-7 lead, until a well-respected media member who backed Houston Nutt during all the Malzahn-Mustain drama of 2006-07 said to us, "I guess Houston Nutt wasn't such a bad coach."

Are you kidding me? Any guesses?
Every time I see a grown man in a backwards hat I want to b***h slap Trooper Taylor.

IronHog

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

HoginIllinois

Quote from: razorbackmkh on August 31, 2008, 09:28:35 pm
http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/sports_article.asp?aID=107798.29155.119918&page=3

Naturally, it only took until halftime, when Western held a 10-7 lead, until a well-respected media member who backed Houston Nutt during all the Malzahn-Mustain drama of 2006-07 said to us, "I guess Houston Nutt wasn't such a bad coach."

Otis Kirk, maybe?........Oh wait, you said "well respected."

razorbackmkh

Well Harris said "well respected" media member in quotes, so I think there was a hint of sarcasm even in his article. I'd love for this to leak.
Every time I see a grown man in a backwards hat I want to b***h slap Trooper Taylor.

Marshfieldhog

SquidBilly

Hoot72

I'm not a Clay Henry fan -- but he is the one in today's paper, that quoted the HS coach as saying that the previous coach could have never engineered that 4th quarter comeback.  Appears that ol' Clay wants people to know/think that he is now on the Petrino bandwagon.

jreaganhog

Quote from: Hog Nutts on August 31, 2008, 09:30:23 pm
Otis Kirk, maybe?........Oh wait, you said "well respected."

I can see chuck barrett making this comment given the perceived pro-leatherneck tenor of his pbp calls. 

hogginbama

They should out him and let us fans have our way with his/her crazy ass. We will never see that "well respected" member of the media put it in print or on the air since he/she knows he would destroy the organization he works for.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

BigSexyHog

Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

h0gfan6

Hogeyeblind

my money is on Nate Allen

he was known to suckle at the teet o' Nutt

Wooisme

Orville Light, Doodley, Odus, Lil' Bo, Ricky Sunshine, Lollipops, & Rainbows, AND Chuckles...all are candidates for the comment. 

NONE are well-respected except in their own minds.
HDN: DID LESS with MORE than any coach in Razorback History.

pseudorabies

Albert Einswine

Anyone... and I mean anyone who would reason that Houston Nutt is even in the same galaxy with Bobby Petrino as far as coaching goes is nothing more than an insect,  a pestilence to be blotted out from among the Hog faithful!
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

DeltaBoy

There are no more respected AR media persons since Orville died and went to Hog Heaven.!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

BadHog

Jim was being polite.  He and Clay have both been in the business a long time.  And regardless of Clay's affiliation with Nutt, he will always be Orville's son and that speaks alot to most Razorback fans.
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

Porkatarian

"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

jamie72921

King is also the idiot that blasted Mustain and then "interviewed" Nutt, letting him lie about not having talked to Mustain about the book situation.

I didn't read King before all that because he is a joke. Certainly won't now. It's a shame someone so bad at his profession can rise to the level he has.

Journalist my arse!!
Bless your heart

hog_fan

The loser needs to be exposed for who he is. Wanna make that comment then man up and say it publicly.

pseudorabies

the "well respected" part made me lean toward Harry King but I have since been told it was not him. 

Hugulus Hog

jamie72921

Bless your heart

Qbackinman

Really could have been a few I can think of. But probably someone with NW ties.

Ex-Trumpet

Could be a number of people.  I think the list would be shorter on who it would NOT be.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

fatman423

I liked the two sentences that follow that:

"No, he was able with Darren McFadden and Felix Jones to outmatch two-third of the team's oponents last year. Let's not forget that Joe Adams would have been at Charlottesville, Va., with the rest of the Southern Cal Trojans this weekend had Nutt remained as Arkansas' coach."

Houston Nutt was a bad coach and is a bad coach.  Nutt could not have won last night with this team.  In fairness to him, I don't know who he might have brought in on defense that would have helped but expect his offensive personnel would have been worse than what we saw last night.  Nutt probably would have kept 2 or 3 players Petrino let go and they might have helped out, providing they could have got permission from pardon and paroles to stay up that late.  Our coach may have not prepared our team as he shuld have but he made up for it with solid coaching every minute of the game which leads me to believe he did a pretty good job preparing also.  Remember, this team has one star, the center.  Everyone else is average or below or freshmen.  Many of our decent players were hurt and did not play.  Thats not an excuse but true.  We won because our coach never quit working and our QB hung in there, then the D played a little there at the end in spite of dropping 3 or 4 interceptions.

HogCzar1

Everyone, especially the media needs to get over HDN. HDN had 10 years of a record here on which he can be fairly judged. He was not able to move the program to a level beyond reaching the SEC Championship game. Bobby Petrino is a coach with the ability to do just that. Anyone who would watch the first half of a season opener in which we played countless freshmen in a completely new system, and then base a judgment that HDN "wasn't such a bad coach" should be dismissed as nothing more than a HDN partisan. I attended the game last night. Proper adjustments were made, the team was in excellent physical condition, and came back without panic to win. I don't recall that many times over the past 10 years that I could make such a statement, even if the opponent was a weaker team.

GuvHog

Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

WilsonHog

Houston Nutt is a snake.

Anyone who supports him must have a little bit of snake in them too.

Just helps to define people for what they are.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

If you think it was Wally, you have been living under a rock the last 3 years.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: dj shanon on September 01, 2008, 12:34:46 am
If you think it was Wally, you have been living under a rock the last 3 years.

We're dealing with Huggers here.

Under a rock is where they spend most of their time.

They are, as you well know, not the wisest of folk.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

pimpndistress

:razorback:  FIRE JEFF LONG :razorback:
SMITE ME IF YOU LOVE  JEFF LONG [move]

HoosierDaddy

People get pissed at rainbows, and they get pissed at criticism, regardless of the circumstances.

I'm likely in the minority, but I don't get worked up about it either way.  I have my own opinions and can listen to others' without wetting my pants.
"Objective Thinking Lives Here"

Albert Einswine

It has to be a practical joke because there are no "well-respected" members of the Arkansas sports media "who backed Houston Nutt".
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Arkstfan

I would have written that off as typical reporter sarcasm, except for the "backing Houston" thing.

There is an old saying I like a lot (and like John Brady a lot because he uses it even more than I do).

"You get what you tolerate."

The Achilles heel of the Razorback athletic program is the Arkansas media. Phat Fill would never have received the passes from the Tennessee media that Nutt received. No LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, or Florida coach would get those passes. Now very few members of the media in those places have the buddy-buddy relationship with coaches you see here. Part of that is because the coaches there know those guys will throw them out the door of the airplane and part of it is because those writers know their editors would never tolerate it and would throw them out of the airplane if they caught them playing big buddy.

The Nutt-Mustain-Gus fiasco brewed for months online before it reached such a noise level that the media had no choice but pick up the story. Even then it didn't get picked up until fans had done the basic research for them. No way that happens in Austin, Norman, Baton Rouge, or Birmingham.

Way too many members of the Arkansas media want the love Arkansans have for the Hogs to rub off on them and want to be a part of the program.

Back in the Orville Henry days, Hog football was a distant second to Cardinal baseball in the hearts and minds in the state. He and Broyles changed that. Over the years, Orville explained the UA struggles whether it be smaller recruiting base in the pre-cable era, smaller fan base, less money, or Texas refs. As the UA program grew past that, those things became articles of faith.

Where is the guy in the mainstream media who compares the quality of facilities at UA to the rest of the nation and the size of the football and basketball crowds to the rest of the nation and asks whether the on-field and on-court performance being delivered is up to the level it should be based on the support delivered by the fans.

Feralhog

Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

hawgXi

what would a HDN led football team do if they found themselves down 10 points late in the 2nd half facing a defensive scheme that had held them to 78 yards rushing by stacking 8 men on the line?

Feralhog

Quote from: Feralhog on September 01, 2008, 07:16:42 am
Your money is usually dead on.

Ooops, it looks like you were guessing before.  You hardly post anymore so I can't tell when you're making and educated guess or passing along information.  Since you know and didn't post the name, you're obviously not at liberty to say.  Bummer. 
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

Wooisme

Quote from: Arkstfan on September 01, 2008, 07:00:08 am
I would have written that off as typical reporter sarcasm, except for the "backing Houston" thing.

There is an old saying I like a lot (and like John Brady a lot because he uses it even more than I do).

"You get what you tolerate."

The Achilles heel of the Razorback athletic program is the Arkansas media. Phat Fill would never have received the passes from the Tennessee media that Nutt received. No LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, or Florida coach would get those passes. Now very few members of the media in those places have the buddy-buddy relationship with coaches you see here. Part of that is because the coaches there know those guys will throw them out the door of the airplane and part of it is because those writers know their editors would never tolerate it and would throw them out of the airplane if they caught them playing big buddy.

The Nutt-Mustain-Gus fiasco brewed for months online before it reached such a noise level that the media had no choice but pick up the story. Even then it didn't get picked up until fans had done the basic research for them. No way that happens in Austin, Norman, Baton Rouge, or Birmingham.

Way too many members of the Arkansas media want the love Arkansans have for the Hogs to rub off on them and want to be a part of the program.

Back in the Orville Henry days, Hog football was a distant second to Cardinal baseball in the hearts and minds in the state. He and Broyles changed that. Over the years, Orville explained the UA struggles whether it be smaller recruiting base in the pre-cable era, smaller fan base, less money, or Texas refs. As the UA program grew past that, those things became articles of faith.

Where is the guy in the mainstream media who compares the quality of facilities at UA to the rest of the nation and the size of the football and basketball crowds to the rest of the nation and asks whether the on-field and on-court performance being delivered is up to the level it should be based on the support delivered by the fans.

Gee...that's well written.  It's consise, clear, and well-constructed.

Let me guess.  You're NOT a member of the Arkansas Media Mogul "sports journalism" profession, are you?

Where is the guy in the mainstream media who compares the quality of facilities at UA to the rest of the nation and the size of the football and basketball crowds to the rest of the nation and asks whether the on-field and on-court performance being delivered is up to the level it should be based on the support delivered by the fans?  Indeed.  Where IS that guy?

HDN: DID LESS with MORE than any coach in Razorback History.

Steef

Quote from: razorbackmkh on August 31, 2008, 09:28:35 pm

HDN wasn't a bad coach. He was a bad person.

He was an average coach. In the SEC, where the best coaches live.

I am NOT an HDN fan. I believe him to be a blight on our school's history. But fair's fair.

That doesn't mean I wish we had him back. From every measurable perspective I can imagine, HDN isn't worthy to tie Coach Petrino's shoelaces.

But we have to be patient. We KNEW this year would have pitfalls. Half of the team we fielded this past week was playing High School ball a few months ago. Let's give 'em time to grow up, some.

HoginIllinois

Quote from: hawgXi on September 01, 2008, 07:19:01 am
what would a HDN led football team do if they found themselves down 10 points late in the 2nd half facing a defensive scheme that had held them to 78 yards rushing by stacking 8 men on the line?

He would have kept on pounding up the middle then say "I kept thinking we were going to break one." or "We should have had it right there, Chuck"

pigture perfect

I could almost see Craig O'Neil saying something like that in a joking manner.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"