Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

N. Barlow's dad on Drive Time

Started by JIHawg, August 28, 2008, 10:37:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

pitbull1

I hear that he is taking a visit this weekend, so you never know what these kids will do.

Hogginitall

Quote from: pitbull1 on August 29, 2008, 09:21:44 am
I hear that he is taking a visit this weekend, so you never know what these kids will do.

I hope he sticks with his commitment.  A commitment, verbal or otherwise, should mean something. 

mizzouman

Quote from: Hogginitall on August 28, 2008, 02:01:59 pm
If he was a real Hog fan, he'd be bad mouthing his own son for choosing Kansas over Arkansas!

I think he chose Kansas over Mizzou and Arkansas was third.

mizzouman

Quote from: Tomhog™ on August 28, 2008, 09:18:59 pm
Guys, let's not write Neal off just yet.  I think we stand a good chance of flipping him back to the Hogs.

I'm not sure of that.

Wildhog

Quote from: mizzouman on August 29, 2008, 11:55:47 am

Why do you say that?
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hogginitall

Quote from: mizzouman on August 29, 2008, 11:55:47 am

That was a joke.  I don't really think that his dad should bad mouth him.  And I also don't care who he had 2nd on his list.  I don't even care who he has 1st on his list.  You know why?  Because I think there are better WRs that we should've been going after, before him.  Like I said many times before, I hope he sticks to his commitment.

mizzouman

Quote from: Wildhog on August 29, 2008, 12:20:10 pm
Why do you say that?

Lets just say that I have a gut feeling about that.

Wildhog

I think he's afraid of competition.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

mizzouman

Quote from: Wildhog on August 29, 2008, 12:38:44 pm
I think he's afraid of competition.

You must not know him very well.

Hawgballz

Neal, plans on being on the hill this weekend to cheer on the hogs.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

Hogginitall

Quote from: mizzouman on August 29, 2008, 12:43:39 pm
You must not know him very well.

I doubt you do, either.  Just a hunch.

averyjack

What's funny to me is you guys are so eager to dump NB, but if this were..... I don't know maybe some really good cornerback from say....Eastern Arkansas most of you guys wouldn't be so quick to dismiss him.

How are you going to react when Winston committs to OM? Not saying he's going to, but I bet there is a little different attitude about that.

What some of you perceive to be a slow, white, hope he grows into a te guy, may be the best slot receiver we have ever had. Have any of you stopped to think that maybe we need a rangy(sp?), big target, who could turn out to be the steal of the class. 

Hogginitall

Quote from: averyjack on August 29, 2008, 02:33:01 pm
What's funny to me is you guys are so eager to dump NB, but if this were..... I don't know maybe some really good cornerback from say....Eastern Arkansas most of you guys wouldn't be so quick to dismiss him.

How are you going to react when Winston committs to OM? Not saying he's going to, but I bet there is a little different attitude about that.

What some of you perceive to be a slow, white, hope he grows into a te guy, may be the best slot receiver we have ever had. Have any of you stopped to think that maybe we need a rangy(sp?), big target, who could turn out to be the steal of the class. 

You're right.  I will react differently if DW decides to go to Ole Miss or anywhere other than the U of A.  I actually thinks he projects very well to the next level at his current position.  I don't think Barlow does.  I'm sorry that I feel that way and I will pray tonight that the Lord doesn't strike me down for thinking such a thing. 

And yes, I have thought that we might need a tall, big target with good hands who could turn out to be the steal of the class.  His name is Greg Childs.  Give me Childs over Barlow all day and twice on Sundays.

Barlow will be a tweener at the next level.   I just don't think this is that big of a loss.

hogsfan4l1fe

Quote from: Hogginitall on August 29, 2008, 02:40:36 pm
You're right.  I will react differently if DW decides to go to Ole Miss or anywhere other than the U of A.  I actually thinks he projects very well to the next level at his current position.  I don't think Barlow does.  I'm sorry that I feel that way and I will pray tonight that the Lord doesn't strike me down for thinking such a thing. 

And yes, I have thought that we might need a tall, big target with good hands who could turn out to be the steal of the class.  His name is Greg Childs.  Give me Childs over Barlow all day and twice on Sundays.

Barlow will be a tweener at the next level.   I just don't think this is that big of a loss.

You have had your a$$ handed to you in this thread so you might want to move on to another topic.

mizzouman

Hogginitall

Quote from: hogsfan4l1fe on August 29, 2008, 02:59:50 pm
You have had your a$$ handed to you in this thread so you might want to move on to another topic.

Nah, I'll stick to this one.  Care to show me where I had my "a$$ handed to me"?

Was it that one time when I said, "I don't think Barlow will be a very good WR at the next level" and that one guy responded with, "you're wrong."  Yeah, you're right, that one hurt.  You know what hurts me more than someone "handing me my a$$" in an internet messageboard thread?  When people LOL at me.  Ouch!

Tell Neal I said hello.

Albert Swinestein

Some really need to grow up.
Quote from: Hogginitall on August 29, 2008, 03:38:30 pm
Nah, I'll stick to this one.  Care to show me where I had my "a$$ handed to me"?

Was it that one time when I said, "I don't think Barlow will be a very good WR at the next level" and that one guy responded with, "you're wrong."  Yeah, you're right, that one hurt.  You know what hurts me more than someone "handing me my a$$" in an internet messageboard thread?  When people LOL at me.  Ouch!

Tell Neal I said hello.

WRICAT

Quote from: averyjack on August 29, 2008, 02:33:01 pm

I am going to chide in here!

What was the pass receiver's name, Robert ?, who was the favorite target of Houson Nutt in high school, and was probably recruited by Frank Broyles, who then retired, and Lou Holtz ended up being his coach, and he became a good player for Lou Holtz.

It was always stated he was slow, but had good hands.

I remember one touchdown he caught, I believe it was against SMU, and I think he had a very good day receiving against SMU, and their hot shot defensive back was interviewed after the game, and stated he did not think Robert ? was a very good receiver, was slow, etc., even though Robert ate his lunch that day.

Robert was very tall, and had that long stride, which made him look slow, but many times defensive backs were trying their best to cover him, and catch them.

Tall high cut lanky receivers have very deceptive speed, much like Matt Jones.

Razorvet

He may be a TE in Mizzous offense. Isnt Macklin a Heisman candidate. I know he wont win it but it shows the importance of that position in Mizzous offense. After the drubbing they put on us in the Cotton bowl they are bound to grab a few. They deserve it no matter what handicaps we suffered. The truth is this isnt a huge loss for the Hogs but it is a big gain for Mizzou. Im not down on you for calling saying he is not SEC caliber but I prefer to leave the evals up to the coaching staff and I believe Petrino is a full 85 roster kind of guy. If you notice there are a bunch of names on the roster we have never seen. Thats not how you build depth. Petrino knows this. He would never make an offer to a kid he didnt really plan to use. If he offered Barlow then Barlow was a fit for his offense.

Hogginitall

Quote from: Razorvet on August 29, 2008, 07:41:35 pm
He may be a TE in Mizzous offense. Isnt Macklin a Heisman candidate. I know he wont win it but it shows the importance of that position in Mizzous offense. After the drubbing they put on us in the Cotton bowl they are bound to grab a few. They deserve it no matter what handicaps we suffered. The truth is this isnt a huge loss for the Hogs but it is a big gain for Mizzou. Im not down on you for calling saying he is not SEC caliber but I prefer to leave the evals up to the coaching staff and I believe Petrino is a full 85 roster kind of guy. If you notice there are a bunch of names on the roster we have never seen. Thats not how you build depth. Petrino knows this. He would never make an offer to a kid he didnt really plan to use. If he offered Barlow then Barlow was a fit for his offense.

Jeremy Maclin isn't a TE.  He's 6-1, 200lbs, and is one of the fastest players on their team.  Barlow doesn't exactly fit in his mold.

mizzouman

Yes, Maclin is not a WR.  Barlow fits perfectly with how we use our TE as receivers.  Last year, we had 2 guys that were 6'6, 250lb at TE and one is returning this year.

I have heard that Barlow does not want to play TE and that might be why he eliminated Mizzou, but I'm not sure that Mizzou told him that he would play TE. 

Anyway, he would make a great WR for ANY team.

hog_fan

Petrino's style isn't for everyone so if Neal isn't prepared to work his butt off it is best he goes elsewhere.

DT

Why is it that just because a kid picks another school over Arkansas he must be lazy and unwilling to work hard? Some of our fans are ridiculous. This kid reminds me so much of Marcus Monk, but I guess we don't need another 6' 7 receiver who can jump and who has great hands.

hog_fan

Quote from: DT on August 30, 2008, 02:48:03 pm
Why is it that just because a kid picks another school over Arkansas he must be lazy and unwilling to work hard? Some of our fans are ridiculous. This kid reminds me so much of Marcus Monk, but I guess we don't need another 6' 7 receiver who can jump and who has great hands.

Didn't say he wasn't. I said if he is best he goes elsewhere. Just find it wierd that he is said to be a huge hog fan and goes elsewhere.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: WRICAT on August 29, 2008, 07:24:25 pm
I am going to chide in here!

What was the pass receiver's name, Robert ?, who was the favorite target of Houson Nutt in high school, and was probably recruited by Frank Broyles, who then retired, and Lou Holtz ended up being his coach, and he became a good player for Lou Holtz.

It was always stated he was slow, but had good hands.

I remember one touchdown he caught, I believe it was against SMU, and I think he had a very good day receiving against SMU, and their hot shot defensive back was interviewed after the game, and stated he did not think Robert ? was a very good receiver, was slow, etc., even though Robert ate his lunch that day.

Robert was very tall, and had that long stride, which made him look slow, but many times defensive backs were trying their best to cover him, and catch them.

Tall high cut lanky receivers have very deceptive speed, much like Matt Jones.

Robert Farrell. Catches was against Baylor at Fayettnam, my Frosh Year. I believe the final score was 21-7. Also I believe the QB was Kevin Scanlon.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

LLPL

Quote from: JIHawg on August 28, 2008, 10:37:57 am
Jeff Barlow wanted to clear the air-he said all the recruiting guys-Otis, Dudley, Trey, and Richard were all very professional, and respected Neil's time limits.  He said he didn't have a problem with any of them.

He did say he does read Trey's pay board, and there are "a few posters I'd like to meet in a dark alley one night".

It must really suck to be a Hog fan and your son decides to play for someplace like Kansas.

Barlow will end up signing with Arkansas. Mangino put pressure on him and said if he did not commit then he would pull the over. He committed after his parents insisted. Petrino met with Barlow for about 45 minutes Sunday afternoon. I assure you that the conversation had a good result for the Hogs. He will sign with us on signing day. Bank it.

mizzouman

Quote from: LLPL on September 02, 2008, 10:56:45 pm
Barlow will end up signing with Arkansas. Mangino put pressure on him and said if he did not commit then he would pull the over. He committed after his parents insisted. Petrino met with Barlow for about 45 minutes Sunday afternoon. I assure you that the conversation had a good result for the Hogs. He will sign with us on signing day. Bank it.

I don't think that's what happened.  If Mangino did pull the offer, then why would Barlow still commit when he has at least 2 other options in Arkansas and Mizzou?

pedrothelion

Quote from: mizzouman on September 03, 2008, 08:22:41 am
I don't think that's what happened.  If Mangino did pull the offer, then why would Barlow still commit when he has at least 2 other options in Arkansas and Mizzou?
I have to agree.  Is Kansas's program even in a place where they can threaten to do that?  Texas threatening to pull an offer is one thing but Kansas... that's just not much of a threat especially when he had offers from better programs.

hogsfan4l1fe

Quote from: Hogginitall on August 29, 2008, 03:38:30 pm

Tell Neal I said hello.

Either your reading comprehension is nonexistent or your braille keyboard is broken. 

Quote from: Hogginitall on August 28, 2008, 03:21:57 pm
That I don't think he is anything more than an average WR, with above average height, and below average speed for a WR?  Yeah.  That I think he is making the right decision by going to a lower tier school like Kansas (yes, I know they won a BCS game last year...doesn't change things a bit) because he'd never play WR consistently if he came to Arkansas?  Yeah.  That I don't think he will pan out as a WR on the next level?   Yeah.

I am glad he made the commitment to Kansas and I hope he sticks with it.

Quote from: Razorvet on August 28, 2008, 09:44:52 pm
So what your saying is Petrino is out giving offers to highschool kids who will never play in the SEC? We must be missing on alot of recruits if we are down to project players at this early in the process. I had hoped for more from Petrino. Thanks for setting me straight.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.  In other words, quit posting fool.

Hogginitall

September 03, 2008, 11:03:26 am #80 Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 11:15:45 am by Hogginitall
Quote from: hogsfan4l1fe on September 03, 2008, 10:54:25 am
Either your reading comprehension is nonexistent or your braille keyboard is broken. 

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.  In other words, quit posting fool.

I still don't think he will be a consistent contributor at the WR position for Arkansas.  Even if he decommits from KU and commits to Arkansas, you won't see me change my position.  He will either add some weight and become a good pass-catching TE, will be used primarily as a situational WR (inside the red zone), or will sit the bench behind a bunch of more talented WRs.

I get it, you think my opinion is wrong.  That doesn't make yours right.  You have no idea what Petrino's plans for Barlow are.  You have no idea whether he will play a significant role in Arkansas' offense.  Barlow hasn't played a down of college football.  So, I will continue to post my opinion, whether you like it or not.  You don't have to read it.  In other words, STFU.

Porkys Revenge

Quote from: Hawgballz on August 28, 2008, 02:55:39 pm
I am guessing that you don't know that Neal & his family are big hog fans.
Big hog fans = Kansas commit. Interesting.

Hawgballz

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on September 03, 2008, 11:25:42 am
Big hog fans = Kansas commit. Interesting.

You have to look deeper than the cover of the book.  Arkansas is still recruiting Barlow.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

ConwayHog

September 03, 2008, 01:40:55 pm #83 Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 01:42:27 pm by Fresh Legs™
His dad went on Drive Time.  I really question his judgement. 

But if you must take offense Mr. Barlow, please go ahead and threaten me.  The use of a PM would be great.  I'd be more than happy to sue a Kansas fan and get some new toys. ;D

OTTER

BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

Hogginitall

kimjongsqUeAl

I've got 1 thing to say:

FKU!

GO HOGS!!!

Thanks  :D
:razorback:
The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge...
- God

The real Hogules

Neal Barlow will be a quality get for whichever school signs him and I hope it's the Hogs.

However at this time I don't see him as a simply must get and in the same class as a Winston, or a Wingo.

Now, he may get to college and turn out to be one helluva a college WR, but as of this moment he still (at least in my eyes) has something to prove.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

hogsfan4l1fe

Quote from: Hogginitall on September 03, 2008, 11:03:26 am
I still don't think he will be a consistent contributor at the WR position for Arkansas.  Even if he decommits from KU and commits to Arkansas, you won't see me change my position.  He will either add some weight and become a good pass-catching TE, will be used primarily as a situational WR (inside the red zone), or will sit the bench behind a bunch of more talented WRs.

I get it, you think my opinion is wrong.  That doesn't make yours right.  You have no idea what Petrino's plans for Barlow are.  You have no idea whether he will play a significant role in Arkansas' offense.  Barlow hasn't played a down of college football.  So, I will continue to post my opinion, whether you like it or not.  You don't have to read it.  In other words, STFU.

Tissue for your tears?

Hogway

Before we judge his talent let's watch him this Friday against a 5* corner everybody wants and see what he brings to the table.  We should have many answers after that game.   

Hogginitall

Quote from: Hogway on September 03, 2008, 02:22:36 pm
Before we judge his talent let's watch him this Friday against a 5* corner everybody wants and see what he brings to the table.  We should have many answers after that game.  

I doubt they'll be matched up 1 on 1 at all.  I hope so.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on September 03, 2008, 01:40:55 pm
His dad went on Drive Time.  I really question his judgement. 

But if you must take offense Mr. Barlow, please go ahead and threaten me.  The use of a PM would be great.  I'd be more than happy to sue a Kansas fan and get some new toys. ;D

Unless he (NB's dad) has called in a second time, what happened was some guy who said he was a friend of NB's dad called DTS and whined and carried on about how Neal had been attacked on message boards and told Trey Biddy his board was the worst one for attacks on NB.  NB's dad called in the next day and said his son had been treated very fairly by Biddy, Kirk, Richard, etc.  He said there were a "couple of posters" he "would like to meet in a dark alley".  The inference was these were posters on Biddy's non-subscription board.  If anything has happened since then I don't know about it, but I'm not a full time DTS listener by a long shot.

Hogginitall

Quote from: hogsfan4l1fe on September 03, 2008, 02:18:30 pm
Tissue for your tears?

I just think Arkansas could do better at the WR position than Barlow.  Why does that make whiny, PC, overprotective soccer moms, like yourself, so upset?

hogsfan4l1fe

Quote from: Hogginitall on September 03, 2008, 02:41:52 pm
I just think Arkansas could do better at the WR position than Barlow.  Why does that make whiny, PC, overprotective soccer moms, like yourself, so upset?

1 of us is butthurt and it isn't me princess.  Barlow's biggest knock is that he is from PA.  IMO Barlow would make a hell of a TE with a year in the weight room.  I never saw him as a WR but I trust Petrino's judgment and if he wants him at WR, I'm fine with that. 

Hogginitall

September 03, 2008, 03:38:21 pm #94 Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 03:41:25 pm by Hogginitall
Quote from: hogsfan4l1fe on September 03, 2008, 03:13:53 pm
1 of us is butthurt and it isn't me princess.  Barlow's biggest knock is that he is from PA.  IMO Barlow would make a hell of a TE with a year in the weight room.  I never saw him as a WR but I trust Petrino's judgment and if he wants him at WR, I'm fine with that. 

You think I'm "butthurt" from some guy on a message board named "hogs fan for L one fe" telling me to stop sharing my honest opinion of a high school WR?  You're a bit mistaken, to say the least.  So, basically you just agreed with what I've been saying all along.  Just felt like being a whiny jacka$$ earlier, huh?

hogsfan4l1fe

Quote from: Hogginitall on September 03, 2008, 03:38:21 pm
You think I'm "butthurt" from some guy named "hogs fan for L one fe"?  You're a bit mistaken.  So, basically you just agreed with what I've been saying all along.  Just felt like being a whiny jacka$$ earlier, huh?

Are you high?  Look Fast Eddy, get off Hogville, put your helmet back on and get back on the grill.  Those fries aren't going to cook themselves.

Hogginitall

Quote from: hogsfan4l1fe on September 03, 2008, 03:45:23 pm
Are you high?  Look Fast Eddy, get off Hogville, put your helmet back on and get back on the grill.  Those fries aren't going to cook themselves.

Wow.  Those are two really good ZINGS right there.  While I'm cooking those fries on the grill ??? , why don't you write another Pulitzer Prize winning novel.  I can tell you're one of the brightest minds of today with thoughts like that flowing around inside your noggin.

Hogginitall

Like I said before, you don't have a clue how Petrino is going to use Barlow if he signs with the Hogs.  I think he'll use him as a pass catching TE or a situational receiver, thus making me correct.  I'm not saying that Barlow is a bad football player and that he will not contribute to the Arkansas football team (if he switches).  I just don't think he'll be a consistently good WIDE RECEIVER for the Hogs, that's all.

El Puerco

Quote from: Hogginitall on September 03, 2008, 02:28:39 pm
I doubt they'll be matched up 1 on 1 at all.  I hope so.

WHA?  Would you propose that teams put their lesser corner on the 6'7" beast? 

Don't discount Barlow.  He could be a GREAT weapon for our offense.

Hogginitall

Quote from: El Puerco on September 03, 2008, 03:54:37 pm
WHA?  Would you propose that teams put their lesser corner on the 6'7" beast? 

Don't discount Barlow.  He could be a GREAT weapon for our offense.

I know you were writing this when I was writing my response, but I'm not discounting his ability to play football.  I just think he'd be better suited, at the college level, as a pass catching TE.  He'd dominate from that position if he just put on a few pounds.