Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

N. Barlow's dad on Drive Time

Started by JIHawg, August 28, 2008, 10:37:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JIHawg

Jeff Barlow wanted to clear the air-he said all the recruiting guys-Otis, Dudley, Trey, and Richard were all very professional, and respected Neil's time limits.  He said he didn't have a problem with any of them.

He did say he does read Trey's pay board, and there are "a few posters I'd like to meet in a dark alley one night".

It must really suck to be a Hog fan and your son decides to play for someplace like Kansas.

tiber

If people think the players and their respective families don't read and take into account what is said (often flippantly) on message boards they're being naive.

Decisions are sometimes swayed on the smallest of things.  Sometimes bigger things like rednecks with computers.

opineonswine

Quote from: JIHawg on August 28, 2008, 10:37:57 am
Jeff Barlow wanted to clear the air-he said all the recruiting guys-Otis, Dudley, Trey, and Richard were all very professional, and respected Neil's time limits.  He said he didn't have a problem with any of them.

He did say he does read Trey's pay board, and there are "a few posters I'd like to meet in a dark alley one night".

It must really suck to be a Hog fan and your son decides to play for someplace like Kansas.

play your cards and take your chances.  We are RAZORBACK fans on these boards....not KU fans, not Ole Miss fans, and not the Feel Good Club.

Tomhog™

I question what many perceive to be "bashing".  I hear that there is a lot of bashing that goes on here in the forum about recruits.  But, in my opinion, almost all of it is just a poster stating their (subjective) opinion of talent level.  To me, saying someone isn't an SEC calibur player isn't bashing, just stating their opinion.  To say someone isn't good enough to earn a starting spot considering all the depth we have at the position isn't bashing, either.  Subjectivity isn't the same as bashing. 

ADAM_713

Quote from: opineonswine on August 28, 2008, 10:51:53 am
play your cards and take your chances.  We are RAZORBACK fans on these boards....not KU fans, not Ole Miss fans, and not the Feel Good Club.

Amen to that
Quote from: kingofdequeen on May 19, 2010, 11:42:38 am
true story...

i paid a stripper $5 to slap me in the face right after i bit down on a lime after a tequila shot.  twas EPIC.

MJ2

If he doesn't want to be a Hog, let's just move on.  Next.

Hogginitall

August 28, 2008, 11:01:01 am #6 Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 11:02:36 am by Hogginitall
Quote from: Tomhog™ on August 28, 2008, 10:53:57 am
I question what many perceive to be "bashing".  I hear that there is a lot of bashing that goes on here in the forum about recruits.  But, in my opinion, almost all of it is just a poster stating their (subjective) opinion of talent level.  To me, saying someone isn't an SEC calibur player isn't bashing, just stating their opinion.  To say someone isn't good enough to earn a starting spot considering all the depth we have at the position isn't bashing, either.  Subjectivity isn't the same as bashing. 

I agree.  Barlow would not play for us if he came here.  We have plenty of talent there now and the talent level will only rise from here on out.  The only way I could see him playing in the future would be to add some weight and become a good pass catching TE.  Otherwise, his PT was going to be limited/none here.  His decision to go to Kansas is just fine with me (not sour grapes and not a shot at him).  I hope he sticks with his commitment and remains happy with his decision.  We'll be fine without him.  Sorry Mr. Barlow doesn't want to hear people give their opinions about his son.  I'm sorry that he takes some of it as bashing.  I think maybe he's maybe a little too biased regarding the subject and unable to look at the situation with any sort of objectivity.

Hawgon

The kid has a right to play at Kansas.  I have the right to tell him to go jump in a lake when he comes to me looking for a job.

Life is about choices.  One choice necessarily closes the door on another.

Monk-N-Dunk

Agree 100%

fu-man-soo

+1 to that Opine!

Conway4Hogs

I listened to the call yesterday and came away overall impressed with Mr Barlow except for his childish comments about meeting some posters in a dark alley.  Mr Barlow you and your son have the right and the privilege to attend any university in this great land but don't come on a Razorback call show making threats to "some" Hog fans because they have emotions and get upset when one of our own chooses to play out of state.
You really need to grow a tougher skin, I can assure you things will be said during the season and after your son signs to play with the "Fat man".
As a class Razorback fan I do wish you and your son well playing for a school in a conference way behind the SEC in talent and with a 3rd rate television contract.
Best of luck
GO HOGS !!!!!!!!! :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

jsimpso3

Quote from: Hawgon on August 28, 2008, 11:20:21 am
The kid has a right to play at Kansas.  I have the right to tell him to go jump in a lake when he comes to me looking for a job.

good post

Monk-N-Dunk

I go to the U of A.  Can I get a job from you?

Seebs

August 28, 2008, 11:58:11 am #13 Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 11:59:53 am by Seebs
A few problems I have with Mr. Barlow -

1. You pay to get Trey's Information? Seriously? Your credibility is just about shot right there.

2. I do not read the Tulane, Baylor, SUNY Buffalo or Arkansas State boards - because I have no interest in what is going on there. Why would you be knee deep in the Arkansas boards if your son has made the decision to go elsewhere? Trolling? Rabbit Ears? Make your decision and move on.

3. Someone said something bad about me or my son so now I will kick his/her a$$. Nice.  You sound like a fine role model for the WWE.

Move along ... you son is getting a free education for a BCS caliber school, no need to troll.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Wildhog

Great post. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

bighog77

I can careless what Barlows dad think.  His kid is not a hog so there is no need in calling the show. Its not like he was a Darius Winston type of recruit.  He was a 3 star recruit. There are ALOT of three star receivers out there and im sure alot of them are better than Neil.  Tell TOTO I said hi. 

Conway Cool Daddy

If you pick your college because of what someone says on a message board then you have deeper issues than wearing your feeings on your sleeve.

Our Mods do a very good job of keeping the players from being slammed personally. If there is a perceived deficiency in talent then I really don't mind hearing about it. If they don't like something that is said/written then prove that it is not true.

Life is tough, if you don't have a thick skin playing major college ball then there are people that will eat you alive.

Dutch Creek Hog

Seebs:

I'd like to meet you in a dark alley some night.
I love guntr.

Feral Hog on 9/10/08 on Nutt's inability to conserve timeouts:
QuoteHe eats Timeouts like cocktail nuts... They're like quarters in the pocket of a 3 year old in a candy shop.

sooiebaby

The problem with todays society is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Tomhog™

Don't get me wrong, I would like to see Neal commit and sign with Arkansas.  I think he would be a specialty receiver that would go in on certain plays.  He is agile for his height and create some good mismatches.

PorkRyan

Barlow chose Kansas because he liked the position coach there and he did not like how hard Petrino worked his players. 

It had nothing to do with what anyone on a message board said.  Though that is an easy cop out.

Wild Bill Hog

If your son turns down the home state university to go out of state to school, and you get on the home state's fan's board, you are looking for something negative.  Either that or you hope to see weeping and wailing.  I've got to believe Mr. Barlow and his buddy had an agenda no where close to only being Hog fans reading a board and finding something upsetting posted.

Hogginitall

If he was a real Hog fan, he'd be bad mouthing his own son for choosing Kansas over Arkansas!

Seebs

Quote from: Dutch Creek Hog on August 28, 2008, 01:02:17 pm
Seebs:

I'd like to meet you in a dark alley some night.

I .. um .. I am ahhh booked solid until like 2035. Um ... yeah. So, um, ahhhh .. gonna have to take a rain check on the ol' meeting in the dark alley action. Yeah. KK.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Hawgballz

Do you really consider that a reasonable excuse for some of the things that are said about a kid when he chooses another school?
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

dclay89

Quote from: Hawgballz on August 28, 2008, 02:52:15 pm
Do you really consider that a reasonable excuse for some of the things that are said about a kid when he chooses another school?

uhhh.... yup

Hawgballz

Quote from: Seebs on August 28, 2008, 11:58:11 am
A few problems I have with Mr. Barlow -

1. You pay to get Trey's Information? Seriously? Your credibility is just about shot right there.

2. I do not read the Tulane, Baylor, SUNY Buffalo or Arkansas State boards - because I have no interest in what is going on there. Why would you be knee deep in the Arkansas boards if your son has made the decision to go elsewhere? Trolling? Rabbit Ears? Make your decision and move on.

3. Someone said something bad about me or my son so now I will kick his/her a$$. Nice.  You sound like a fine role model for the WWE.

Move along ... you son is getting a free education for a BCS caliber school, no need to troll.

I am guessing that you don't know that Neal & his family are big hog fans.

Seebs

Quote from: Hawgballz on August 28, 2008, 02:55:39 pm

No need to guess. I don't know them, don't care to. I am ambivalent to what makes the Barlow's tick. I come to this board to learn of recruits intentions and who the Razorbacks are after.
Kids pick other schools, I'm happy for them and their families on getting an education paid for.

There is no need to voice displeasure about some jerks on a board saying inappropriate things. It won;t change the behavior and only fuels the people writing the crap because they now have validation that it is getting to their intended audience.

When you get spam emails at home, do you reply to them asking them to not send anymore, or do you just delete it? You probably just delete it since you don;t want to validate your email is active to the spammer, eventually it will stop. Mr. Barlow just validated to the hate spewers that he has his rabbit ears on and any insult would be read. Not good for him or the board modorators.

Just my take - Lets get Cobi and Jackson from La. and not worry about the local three star that went to Kansas.

Conway Cool Daddy

What was said? I don't remember anything that was unfair, but I don't see everything.
What was said that hurt their feelings so bad?

opineonswine

don't try to turn my comment into a blanket generalization like that.  I'm merely saying this isn't the bleeding hearts liberal "be nice to everyone" genre.  This is a fan board.  Don't expect everyone to play nice when you pick a school contrary to ours.  All I'm sayin'.

grayhawg

Quote from: Hawgballz on August 28, 2008, 02:55:39 pm
That being the case, I wonder why he chose the Jayhawks over the Hogs?

NATEHOGG216

who cares what he thinks.  I wish his son well unless he plays us and then I hope we beat his and ku's assssss.  I hope we hold him to zero receptions.  I could care less.  he is a jayhawk.  get off our sports talk shows.  call into kansas and talk to them.

GOODBYE.

unless he changes his mind, if not, quit worrying about us and we wil do the same for you.
Quote from: 3kgthog on August 27, 2013, 09:15:10 AM
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

Hogginitall

August 28, 2008, 03:21:57 pm #33 Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 03:23:50 pm by Hogginitall

That I don't think he is anything more than an average WR, with above average height, and below average speed for a WR?  Yeah.  That I think he is making the right decision by going to a lower tier school like Kansas (yes, I know they won a BCS game last year...doesn't change things a bit) because he'd never play WR consistently if he came to Arkansas?  Yeah.  That I don't think he will pan out as a WR on the next level?   Yeah.

I am glad he made the commitment to Kansas and I hope he sticks with it.

NATEHOGG216

who cares hawgballz?  he isn't much of a fan if he's going to ku.  he's a jayhawk fan now.  have fun in kansas.  this is ARKANSAS.  we love the hogs, not jayhawks.  he is a jayhawk.
Quote from: 3kgthog on August 27, 2013, 09:15:10 AM
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: grayhawg on August 28, 2008, 03:13:23 pm
That being the case, I wonder why he chose the Jayhawks over the Hogs?

Excellent point and spot on.  Seems like the Barlow's are wanting people to ignore their actions and believe instead what they're saying.  We used to have a football coach like that, you know.

Choctaw Hog

Sometimes, I think negative posts on boards are actually rival fans trying to make another team's fans look bad.  Either that or they are idiots who post such things.

jmingram911

Well said Opine.

Conway4Hogs

Quote from: Hogginitall on August 28, 2008, 02:01:59 pm
If he was a real Hog fan, he'd be bad mouthing his own son for choosing Kansas over Arkansas!
The best post I have read in ages
+10

razorhog52

This reminds me of something Jimmy Johnson's dad told him back in the early 60s when he was being recruited by Arkansas and several other schools. His dad said...

"Son, you can go wherever you want, but if you want me to cheer for you, you'll go to Arkansas."

Earl

Quote from: razorhog52 on August 28, 2008, 05:03:34 pm
This reminds me of something Jimmy Johnson's dad told him back in the early 60s when he was being recruited by Arkansas and several other schools. His dad said...

"Son, you can go wherever you want, but if you want me to cheer for you, you'll go to Arkansas."

perfect..+1

Hawgballz

Quote from: opineonswine on August 28, 2008, 03:12:20 pm
don't try to turn my comment into a blanket generalization like that.  I'm merely saying this isn't the bleeding hearts liberal "be nice to everyone" genre.  This is a fan board.  Don't expect everyone to play nice when you pick a school contrary to ours.  All I'm sayin'.

Fair enough.

Razorvet

Quote from: Hogginitall on August 28, 2008, 03:21:57 pm
That I don't think he is anything more than an average WR, with above average height, and below average speed for a WR?  Yeah.  That I think he is making the right decision by going to a lower tier school like Kansas (yes, I know they won a BCS game last year...doesn't change things a bit) because he'd never play WR consistently if he came to Arkansas?  Yeah.  That I don't think he will pan out as a WR on the next level?   Yeah.

I am glad he made the commitment to Kansas and I hope he sticks with it.
So what your saying is Petrino is out giving offers to highschool kids who will never play in the SEC? We must be missing on alot of recruits if we are down to project players at this early in the process. I had hoped for more from Petrino. Thanks for setting me straight.

Hawgballz

Quote from: Razorvet on August 28, 2008, 09:44:52 pm
So what your saying is Petrino is out giving offers to highschool kids who will never play in the SEC? We must be missing on alot of recruits if we are down to project players at this early in the process. I had hoped for more from Petrino. Thanks for setting me straight.

Now you know that he was not thinking of that angle when he wrote that, so it is unfair for you to use that against him.   ;)

Hogginitall

Quote from: Tomhog™ on August 28, 2008, 09:18:59 pm
Guys, let's not write Neal off just yet.  I think we stand a good chance of flipping him back to the Hogs.

I hope not.  And I'm not just saying that because I think we can do better.  I absolutely HATE when kids commit somewhere and then change their commitment without something extenuating happening (family issues, coaching change, etc.).  I hope he sticks with his commitment.

Hogginitall

Quote from: Razorvet on August 28, 2008, 09:44:52 pm

Nope.  You obviously can't read.  I said I think he would be able to add some weight and become a good pass catching TE OR he could play WR in certain situations (i.e. red zone).  BUT, he would not play CONSISTENTLY for Arkansas if he was to commit here.

Hopefully that was clear enough for you.

Razorvet

Well we need to consider what we say before we put it in print.
And I know that aint what he meant. I was just being an ass.
There seems to be alot of that going around this thread.

HoopS

Mike_P

he signs with Arkansas. Which I say he will!