Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Knight the only for sure starter this weekend.

Started by ricepig, March 14, 2018, 08:19:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Saturday and Sunday will/are listed as TBA. Campbell may come out of the bullpen on Friday night, if needed.

swineology

We're in trouble on the mound for sure.
McKinney and Weston Rogers going down is painful. Campbell's return is equally painful.
Hoping some of the young guns will step up in SEC play.

ucahogfan

Quote from: swineology on March 14, 2018, 08:37:17 pm
We're in trouble on the mound for sure.
McKinney and Weston Rogers going down is painful. Campbell's return is equally painful.
Hoping some of the young guns will step up in SEC play.
Who said Weston Rogers went down?  I have not seen that posted anywhere.

ricepig

Rutledge may be backed up until the Florida series, they don't expect him to throw against UNCC, now.

onebadrubi

Quote from: ricepig on March 14, 2018, 08:43:12 pm
Rutledge may be backed up until the Florida series, they don't expect him to throw against UNCC, now.

why?  did I miss something?

ricepig

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 14, 2018, 08:49:10 pm
why?  did I miss something?

Sore arm from the USC series, he's playing catch, but DVH said unavailable for this weekend and more than likely the mid-week series next week.

swineology

Quote from: ucahogfan on March 14, 2018, 08:40:16 pm
Who said Weston Rogers went down?  I have not seen that posted anywhere.

Hasn't thrown a meaningful pitch, word is bad shoulder.

dotnet

I think they're trying to light a fire under Campbell, but I think there is zero chance he doesn't pitch on Saturday. 

If he doesn't pitch well on Saturday, then I think its likely that the starters against Florida are Knight, Murphy, and Bonnin... but with Murphy unable to go, I can't imagine it happening this weekend.

PigWig

If we're really that unsure about the status of some of these guys, I'd rather match Bonnin up with Hjelle on Friday, and count on Knight to even the series Saturday if things don't go well in game 1. Throwing our only healthy, rested starter with SEC experience against possibly the best pitcher in the SEC sets you up for a series loss or even a sweep if you don't win Friday.

WBOBO

Cmon Jake.  We need for about 6-8 innings this weekend.  We really need ya
to get going.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

tennesseehogwild

There is probably a chance Murphy could start Sunday on four days rest!

WBOBO

Quote from: tennesseehogwild on March 14, 2018, 10:28:30 pm
I definitely would not be opposed to that.  Just give us 3 or 4 and go by committee
from that point on.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

onebadrubi

Quote from: tennesseehogwild on March 14, 2018, 10:28:30 pm

I'd think he could give you 50-70 pitches Sunday.  But they may not want to push it. 

hogwild04

Quote from: PigWig on March 14, 2018, 09:54:34 pm
If we're really that unsure about the status of some of these guys, I'd rather match Bonnin up with Hjelle on Friday, and count on Knight to even the series Saturday if things don't go well in game 1. Throwing our only healthy, rested starter with SEC experience against possibly the best pitcher in the SEC sets you up for a series loss or even a sweep if you don't win Friday.

That is a good idea, Kentucky scores runs and have to match, not saying we cant score vs Hjelle, but you know Knight will keep scoring to a min when he throws and chances increase to get more runs vs 2nd or 3rd guy.  Bonnin has the stuff ,   Take away the 1st inning walks, he threw a dang good game,  but cannot afford base runners on walks vs any SEC team,  They are like turnovers in football, they always seem to equal points.,  A Johnson butt chewing seemed to fix him, sat the next 7 batters ,just has to stay in control. We have to have run support.     Is Cronin capable of starting a series game? Have not heard that scenario, He was lights out vs Texas, has gas and some good stuff, just wondering. If Campbell is limited, get Lee and Murphy in one of the games,  then Cronin and Bonnin piece a game together, or a Bolden in there and we have others in the bullpen.  We have depth, just may need to piece it together.  You know Van Horn and other coaches are watching hours of film and will have a solid game plan.

ricepig

Quote from: ricepig on March 14, 2018, 09:01:34 pm
Sore arm from the USC series, he's playing catch, but DVH said unavailable for this weekend and more than likely the mid-week series next week.

Well, possible late this weekend, we'll see. I hope that he's 100% when he comes back, while I'd love to see him available to close something this weekend, we need him available the rest of the year.

rzrbkman

I was surprised Murphy came out to pitch the 6th on Tuesday. The Hogs had a big lead and I was surprised that inning pitched was not saved for Sunday.

jbell96

March 15, 2018, 10:16:37 am #16 Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 10:42:53 am by jbell96
I was surprised to see Murphy throw 6 on Tuesday, given our uncertainty on Sunday, but with his style of throwing, I could see him being able to throw 1-2 innings in a pinch. Bonnin was really good last Sunday until he gave up an awful 2 out walk, then a little Texas leaguer, before being pulled in the 5th. If he cuts down on the walks he's going to be difficult for anyone to face.

SquidBilly

Can Reindl start?   Guys got nasty stuff out of the pen.  Put him in to start and let him go three innings.

ricepig

Quote from: SquidBiily on March 15, 2018, 06:05:43 pm
Can Reindl start?   Guys got nasty stuff out of the pen.  Put him in to start and let him go three innings.

The problem lately is that he can't go an inning.

ucahogfan

Quote from: swineology on March 14, 2018, 09:27:10 pm
Hasn't thrown a meaningful pitch, word is bad shoulder.
I don't think I ever heard DVH mention his name during the fall.  I understand he is a local player, but I think he probably was a victim of an elite group of freshmen arms.

ucahogfan

Quote from: PigWig on March 14, 2018, 09:54:34 pm
Knight can outduel Hjelle.  Knight has a better ERA than Hjelle right now.  Sure, Knight has not faced a team like Texas Tech yet, but Knight has been excellent so far this year.  You always go with your stud on Friday night.

Obviously Hjelle will be tough, but the next three Fridays we will see guys who could legitimately go in the top 10 this June - Brady Singer, Ryan Rolison, and Casey Mize.

Greg ManChilds

I haven't read much on here this week as work has been crazy, but why is Zay not for sure one of our weekend guys? Game 2 against Kent St wasn't great but the defense didn't help him out much plus I feel that he get at least one pass since he hasn't pitched in almost two years. When he has been right this year he has looked very good.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

BigBrandonAllenFan

All nay sayers are hereby sentenced to the gulag for the weekend. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: Greg ManChilds on March 15, 2018, 10:19:33 pm
I haven't read much on here this week as work has been crazy, but why is Zay not for sure one of our weekend guys? Game 2 against Kent St wasn't great but the defense didn't help him out much plus I feel that he get at least one pass since he hasn't pitched in almost two years. When he has been right this year he has looked very good.

Who is Zay?

ricepig

onebadrubi

woodrow hog call

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on March 16, 2018, 09:11:39 am
All nay sayers are hereby sentenced to the gulag for the weekend. 

^^^^^ Here Here, I agree, DVH is not going to tell Knight that he can't beat their ace so we are changing up the rotation, and if I was Knight I would be pretty upset if he did. This ain't travel ball with 12 year olds.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

onebadrubi

Quote from: woodrow hog call on March 16, 2018, 11:44:00 am
^^^^^ Here Here, I agree, DVH is not going to tell Knight that he can't beat their ace so we are changing up the rotation, and if I was Knight I would be pretty upset if he did. This ain't travel ball with 12 year olds.

My guess is DVH would put BK up against any Friday night starter in the country.  Hedging his bet with the offensive fire power that we have that can come out at any moment. 

hogwild04

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 16, 2018, 01:02:09 pm
My guess is DVH would put BK up against any Friday night starter in the country.  Hedging his bet with the offensive fire power that we have that can come out at any moment.

See the point, would send wrong message if BK was anything but a Friday night guy.  I would take BK over a Kentucky kitty cat any day, so not a smart thought on my part.

Amityvillehogger

Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005