Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

v A&M (redux)

Started by flippinhogmana, March 01, 2018, 01:47:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

flippinhogmana

Possibly the single thing we have going for us is that nobody gives us the slightest chance
game is at 2:30 pm and will be carried on the SEC channel.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

As good as we played (and my hat is off to everyone, Cosper hitting key shots at key times, Monk for just dominating the point, Mason for being her usual self, RNB for catching fire and playing like a warrior, Bailey for giving it a go and all she had - especially my hat off to Kiara Williams for playing like a super warrior - it was against the 13th team in the conference, Vandy, who we should have beaten Sunday.

As logic said, realistically - we are playing A&M today - very likely to be a much different result. 
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

hawg1221

The combination of height and athleticism kills us.

LadybackBBFan

Maybe we will get to see Weaver?

logic

Quote from: flippinhogmana on March 01, 2018, 06:23:57 am
As good as we played (and my hat is off to everyone, Cosper hitting key shots at key times, Monk for just dominating the point, Mason for being her usual self, RNB for catching fire and playing like a warrior, Bailey for giving it a go and all she had - especially my hat off to Kiara Williams for playing like a super warrior - it was against the 13th team in the conference, Vandy, who we should have beaten Sunday.

As logic said, realistically - we are playing A&M today - very likely to be a much different result. 
Unless their entire team comes down with the flu or food poisoning I don't see any way to win.  Weaver is not ready now, if ever.  Williams played great, but she is 6'-1" and A&M has two 6'-5" players; one is a 5 star and the other is 2nd team SEC and the leading re-bounder in the conference. Plus they have that super talented freshman, Chennedy Carter, that can shoot from anywhere.  If we triple team the 6'-5" players, Carter will kill us from the outside; if not, it will be layup after layup because their centers are too tall, too big, and too strong for Williams.  Nevertheless, if I could get 100 to 1 odds, I might risk $10 and hope to win $1,000, but that is what it would take for me to bet on Arkansas.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: logic on March 01, 2018, 01:44:16 pm
Unless their entire team comes down with the flu or food poisoning I don't see any way to win.  Weaver is not ready now, if ever.  Williams played great, but she is 6'-1" and A&M has two 6'-5" players; one is a 5 star and the other is 2nd team SEC and the leading re-bounder in the conference. Plus they have that super talented freshman, Chennedy Carter, that can shoot from anywhere.  If we triple team the 6'-5" players, Carter will kill us from the outside; if not, it will be layup after layup because their centers are too tall, too big, and too strong for Williams.  Nevertheless, if I could get 100 to 1 odds, I might risk $10 and hope to win $1,000, but that is what it would take for me to bet on Arkansas.

pulling for and betting money are two different things - I can always afford losing some emotional capital a lot more than I would be willing to lose money.

Bblover69

Unless we give Weaver more playing time we won't be able to see what she can do. Williams did well yesterday because they fed the post. Thomas has more than enough playing time to have been evaluated, and she needs more work as well. I'm hoping our guards will get get better at shot selection. Mason and Zimmerman trying to get it in just throwing it up from too far back vs throwing it into the post needs to be worked on. Unselfish basketball is the key. Congrats to Devin, what a terrific girl.

logic

Quote from: flippinhogmana on March 01, 2018, 02:52:14 pm
pulling for and betting money are two different things - I can always afford losing some emotional capital a lot more than I would be willing to lose money.
I bet you can afford to lose a dollar provide you get 100 to 1 odds.  I almost never bet, but it that situation I would.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: logic on March 01, 2018, 07:59:01 pm
I bet you can afford to lose a dollar provide you get 100 to 1 odds.  I almost never bet, but it that situation I would.

I dont know brother, I am pretty logical!  I hate to bet too, but I have, but not when it went against what I saw a near certain loss.  I dont dream or hope with money, its hard enough to get, easy enough to lose.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Bblover69 on March 01, 2018, 04:42:45 pm
Unless we give Weaver more playing time we won't be able to see what she can do. Williams did well yesterday because they fed the post. Thomas has more than enough playing time to have been evaluated, and she needs more work as well. I'm hoping our guards will get get better at shot selection. Mason and Zimmerman trying to get it in just throwing it up from too far back vs throwing it into the post needs to be worked on. Unselfish basketball is the key. Congrats to Devin, what a terrific girl.

Kiara did well yesterday because the Vandy's defense skills and plan gave her areas she could exploit with her quickness and hustle (and then she got hot).  They didn't drop anyone to help on post defense, and the player she matched up with wasn't over powering.  Today was a different story and you had to know it was going to be.

Weaver has come a long way since she stepped onto the court in the first game.  She was a deer in the headlights at first and didn't display very many low post skills on either offense or defense.  She looked timid and unsure of herself when she got the ball as well.  She did have length and good offensive rebounding and shot blocking skills to build on though.

Somewhere along the line (with practice and playing time) that began to change.  She is a lot less timid now and the banzai attitude of Williams is rubbing off on her and Thomas.  She displays a lot more low post skills now too.  She got a lot better at putting herself in a position to receive the ball on offense and a lot better at moving her feet on defense.  She doesn't pick up a foul a minute anymore (but then neither does Williams and Thomas).  All of them have come a good distance.

At 6-3 even Macy Weaver is still going to be smaller than most posts she plays against in the SEC next year, but with her long arms and shot blocking ability she gets close to neutralizing most posts on the other teams.  I think (just mho) that Thomas and or Williams would be better off playing the four while Macy is in. 

That would all be conditional on match ups, but Thomas especially has four spot skills, but at six one doesn't have the physical stature to really man the post.  We are never going to win many games if we get rebounded by 20 boards, its just not going to happen at any level, especially if those are offensive rebounds.