Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chris Beard

Started by FaytownHog, January 16, 2018, 02:26:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fan701

Quote from: niels_boar on January 22, 2018, 12:59:45 pm
There is no way in hell we were ever going to have Macon, Barford, Babb, and Whitt all on roster this season.  That's a nice fantasy. For one thing three of them wanted to play the same position.  Most likely if Babb had thrived here, we would have Babb instead of Barford, not a favorable swap, and still be in the same boat when Garland's problems arose.  Nobody recruited Garland to redshirt him this season.

Whitt wasn't mismanaged.  He played plenty as a frosh, and I don't think he was that big a loss.  He's a PG in his third year of college ball that shoots treys less often than Manny and converts 50% at the line when he rarely gets there.  His handle is nothing special, and he isn't a plus athlete.  He is pretty good on the drive. If he were around, he wouldn't be starting on this team, and there is no way his parents would let him hang around to be nothing but quality depth.  He's probably better off walking the ball up the court at SMU at their granny pace.
I know you've pointed out these obvious things before, and so have I, but it amazes me how the fantasies of our fans endure.  Having your cake and eating it too seems no problem for some.  I might also point out that when Whitt was here he was steadily trashed for his awful shooting form (and its usually awful results).  You would have to imagine Beard, Barford, Macon, Hannahs, Watkins, Babb, and Whitt all happily co-existing last year. That's more than half the roster.  Quite likely Macon and Barford never would have even been recruited, much to our loss.

razorhead94

Quote from: Fan701 on January 22, 2018, 02:04:15 pm
I know you've pointed out these obvious things before, and so have I, but it amazes me how the fantasies of our fans endure.  Having your cake and eating it too seems no problem for some.  I might also point out that when Whitt was here he was steadily trashed for his awful shooting form (and its usually awful results).  You would have to imagine Beard, Barford, Macon, Hannahs, Watkins, Babb, and Whitt all happily co-existing last year. That's more than half the roster.  Quite likely Macon and Barford never would have even been recruited, much to our loss.

This....I'm about tired of hearing of the Babb/Whitt scenario.  Straight up look at Barford vs. Babb and that's all you need to say.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

The_Iceman

Quote from: razorhead94 on January 22, 2018, 02:10:16 pm
This....I'm about tired of hearing of the Babb/Whitt scenario.  Straight up look at Barford vs. Babb and that's all you need to say.

D-E-P-T-H

razorhead94

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 22, 2018, 02:19:46 pm
D-E-P-T-H

Show me where the roster spot is?  Not having Garland is really hurting more than we thought.  But that was an unforeseen circumstance.

Fan701

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 22, 2018, 02:19:46 pm
D-E-P-T-H
So not having Macon and Barford, who were Whitt and Babb's replacements, and still losing Garland to a medical condition would have given us depth this year?  Please explain.  And don't try to sell me the absurd scenario of Macon, Barford, Beard, Whitt, Babb, Hannahs, and Watkins all on the same team last year playing (or sitting) happily together.

razorpimp

Quote from: razorhead94 on January 22, 2018, 02:28:23 pm
Show me where the roster spot is?  Not having Garland is really hurting more than we thought.  But that was an unforeseen circumstance.

Failure by Mike on recruiting front....shouldn't have to rely on a freshman recruit for meaningful minutes

razorhead94

Quote from: razorpimp on January 22, 2018, 02:46:37 pm
Failure by Mike on recruiting front....shouldn't have to rely on a freshman recruit for meaningful minutes

Again you guys have nothing to back it up with except it's "failure on Mike".  So recruiting Macon and Barford were failures?

Meaningless minutes?  I'm just referring to Iceman's response on D-E-P-T-H

FineAsSwine

Beard walked into a much better situation at Texas Tech than Mike Anderson did here.
Hogs up! Covid down!

SouthTulsaHog

Beard's road record in B12 play in his 2 years so far is 1-12. That 1 win funny enough is at the Phog. They road a pretty incredibly light non-conference schedule to their gaudy record they have now. Similar to Anderson's first couple of teams here. Could beat anyone at home.

I know its early in his career, but lets hault the breaks before we crown him God's gift to coaching

Breems

Quote from: razorhead94 on January 22, 2018, 02:55:54 pm
Again you guys have nothing to back it up with except it's "failure on Mike".  So recruiting Macon and Barford were failures?

Meaningless minutes?  I'm just referring to Iceman's response on D-E-P-T-H

No one will care about Babb and Whitt if we start winning again. If we're losing, people run out of things to blame on the coach and look for new stories.

Frankly, if I were trying to find "Fire Mike" talking point #234, I'd skip Babb and Whitt and go right for Jacorey Williams. He was bad here but became a beast at Middle Tennessee. Lesser conference and all, but he improved in all aspects and was a pretty good point-forward.

You're welcome, Hogville.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

ParkerSchnabel

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on January 21, 2018, 11:53:04 pm
Saying Beard will end up somewhere like Duke, UNC, Kansas or UCLA seems like a roundabout way of saying that he's really good.

Which was the point of this thread, I believe.
Doesnt change the FACT that we have a coach already. And that Beard isn't coming here. Nothing wrong with Mike anyway.

ParkerSchnabel

Quote from: Breems on January 22, 2018, 06:20:47 pm
No one will care about Babb and Whitt if we start winning again. If we're losing, people run out of things to blame on the coach and look for new stories.

Frankly, if I were trying to find "Fire Mike" talking point #234, I'd skip Babb and Whitt and go right for Jacorey Williams. He was bad here but became a beast at Middle Tennessee. Lesser conference and all, but he improved in all aspects and was a pretty good point-forward.

You're welcome, Hogville.

Funny post. But also reasonable. Thats referred to as dumb on hogville. Well not by me. But you know...

Atlhogfan1

I hate when a coach's success is used to attack or criticize ours.  It's crappy.  We've done it in football and we did it for 9 years pre Mike with Mike.   Enough to be critical about without whatever Beard is doing.

And if I were hiring in the Texas -Ok- Ks region I would go to Blacksburg and lure Buzz back this way.   Not Beard.  (We have a coach who will do well enough to not be fired so this has nothing to do with us)

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 22, 2018, 03:08:53 pm
Beard walked into a much better situation at Texas Tech than Mike Anderson did here.
Risking the regurgitation of the same discussions from the past years (sigh), I hesitate to ask what rationale is being used here.
Funny, I don't recall hearing a darn thing about Texas Tech basketball in recent years...other than Hannahs transferred out.
Tubby did a decent job, then left. They were basically...meh.

For the 1,000,000th time, Anderson did not inherit a bad situation here. It wasn't great, it wasn't bad. It was ok. And nobody cares about the APR. The talent he inherited wasn't bad at all.
I'm just tired of people talking about 'dumpster fires'. (now the most overused phrase...this tired old phrase must be retired). If a coach doesn't inherit a national title contending team, he has inherited a 'dumpster fire'. There was immediate talent for a guy doing even a decent job to win 15-20 games right off the bat. Is that where we want to be? No. But don't spin how terrible it was.
Some have complained, with some merit I think, that Year 5 (16-16) was worse talent than for Year 1. Which doesn't make sense.

raz1965

This program was so bad pre Anderson that a coach took the job an left into the sunset before the dust settled. We tend to forget how bad things really were, there not that way now.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: razorhead94 on January 22, 2018, 02:28:23 pm

This!
#NolanRichardsonCourt

FineAsSwine

Quote from: raz1965 on January 23, 2018, 07:59:15 am
This program was so bad pre Anderson that a coach took the job an left into the sunset before the dust settled. We tend to forget how bad things really were, there not that way now.

And this!
Hogs up! Covid down!

Atlhogfan1

An academic situation possibly affecting the eligibility of those players on the roster at the time.  A roster which was largely going to be turned over after the next season.  Mike didn't come in until 4 years later.  The APR improvement had already started.  Mike's handicap from this was not being able to turn over the roster quickly.  But in season 7, we still aren't seeing him with teams who consistently plays like he wants so not sure how much that mattered.  Lots of coaches take over rebuilds or builds.  It's why there is a job opening.  If all your argument is it is better now than Nolan's last season and the 9 seasons which followed, okay.  You are right. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HognitiveDissonance

Altman/later Pelphrey inherited a pre-made NCAA Tournament team. That Heath recruited.
That guy was walking into a very good situation. Heath had already done the work. Then when that team graduated he could build on it with his own guys.
Seems like an excellent way to start your tenure, to me.
Again, no one cares about the APR. We want it to be good, but let's be real, it's all about winning. We're talking about the roster, is it good enough to win with, or not. It was.

Tell me exactly how bad that is again? When you inherit a team with enough talent to make the NCAAs?

Even four years later as I said, when Anderson took over, there was enough talent to have a pretty good team and win 15-20 games. Not bad at all. Not outstanding, not bad. The only problem is that we're always (rightfully) comparing to the glory years and the Heath/Pelphrey years weren't comparable to the Eddie/Nolan years, so they were replaced. The same fate could have befallen Mike Anderson already if his name wasn't Mike Anderson. Because his era is better than the Pelphrey era, and similar to the Heath era or slightly better(depends on if you look at NCAA apperances, or 'win total'), but not drastically different. But it still doesn't compare to the glory days.

Just stop making it sound like an SMU-like Death Penalty situation, and stop exaggerating.

Jim Harris

Quote from: hawganatic on January 17, 2018, 11:12:49 am
How is twice in 6 years "regularly getting in now,"

because if you want to, you can also say he's gotten in twice in the last three years, with that missed year being an overhaul/rebuilding year. Just depends on how you want to couch your argument.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson