Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Did Bret hold Alex Collins back? (Only one man could stop AC)

Started by Malvin, December 11, 2017, 09:56:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: steveaustin69 on December 11, 2017, 10:44:30 am
His NFL career was underwhelming due to injuries and playing behind a putrid Raiders line in what should have been his prime years. Nothing to do with talent, or DMac's "lack of vision."

It was partially due to talent.  It wasn't a great time to be in Oakland and he wasn't a bad NFL back when healthy.  Never worthy of the pick where he was chosen even if he had stayed healthy. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1797280-is-this-the-beginning-of-the-end-for-darren-mcfadden-in-oakland

"One of the biggest problems facing McFadden is his lack of vision, even in a scheme that better suits his style. McFadden's struggles in 2012 were blamed on the zone-blocking scheme, even though it's a scheme that has proven to be successful at the NFL level.

It was McFadden that struggled to see the cutback lanes necessary to make the zone-blocking scheme a success. That's not to say that McFadden is a bad player, but he is a limited one."
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

devildoghawg

Bret let Alex get lazy and fat, that's what held him back.
Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hawgon on December 11, 2017, 10:46:45 am
I don't think it is any coincidence that all of our players across the board added pounds to the point of being heavy and sluggish.

That's going to be the narrative apparently. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

jkstock04

Quote from: hawgon on December 11, 2017, 10:46:45 am
I don't think it is any coincidence that all of our players across the board added pounds to the point of being heavy and sluggish.
It's not just adding pounds but it's the type of weight they gained and put on them. There is a big difference between bulky muscle mass and lean muscle mass. My opinion several players looked their best talent/ceiling wise their freshmen years before the Bielema/Herb program got a hold of them.

Bielema believes in strength over stamina. Gotta be some high rep training in there too to gain stamina.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

RazorPiggie

HogHomer

Quote from: devildoghawg on December 11, 2017, 10:51:15 am
Bret let Alex get lazy and fat, that's what held him back.
Alex let himself get fat.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: jkstock04 on December 11, 2017, 10:45:15 am
20 lbs? This is false...unless the university was lying about his weight by 15 lbs. I would contend  he has lost fat and gained lean muscle mass.

No doubt the UA lied about his weight.  He had to be 230 lbs in his last season.

Besides...even if he did, what's the difference?  It was HIS changes that helped his career.  You can't pin a lack of self discipline on CBB when he certainly tried to motivate AC the best he could.  Geez....do you not RECALL all of those times when he was in doghouse with CBB, but he played him anyway...because he was so good?   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: jkstock04 on December 11, 2017, 10:53:11 am
It's not just adding pounds but it's the type of weight they gained and put on them. There is a big difference between bulky muscle mass and lean muscle mass. My opinion several players looked their best talent/ceiling wise their freshmen years before the Bielema/Herb program got a hold of them.

Bielema believes in strength over stamina. Gotta be some high rep training in there too to gain stamina.

I've heard it all now.  Bulky muscle mass, versus lean muscle mass.  Awesome. 

In one sentence, you just effectively re-wrote how DNA works in all of our bodies.   ::)
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on December 11, 2017, 10:15:47 am
You might want to consider had it not been for Coach Bielema, Alex Collins would have never set foot in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Great point. I remember his televised press conference when he announced. Unlike most of these, this time we got good news. And man, was that exciting...one of the top couple RBs in Florida and we beat all those schools out to get him.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

devildoghawg

Quote from: HogHomer on December 11, 2017, 10:54:42 am
Alex let himself get fat.

College kids are going to do college kid things.  Eating junk food and being lazy is part of that.  It's the coaches responsibility to manage his talent pool. 
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

jkstock04

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 11, 2017, 10:58:27 am

In one sentence, you just effectively re-wrote how DNA works in all of our bodies.   ::)
I'll try and simply it for you. If you want to bulk up...low reps, high weight. Want to lean up...higher reps, lighter weight.

At least I'm not the one with conspiracy theories about the university trying to hide his real weight, and try and make it look like he was lighter than he really was.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

urkillnmesmalls

Watch the guy run.  To this day, he still runs with his head straight ahead...and RARELY ever turns it.  I think that's the reason for his success, because he relies so much on his peripheral vision, and he can see the field in BOTH directions as a result.  Someone had to have coached him to do that at an early age, and it stuck, because it goes against human instinct not to look at the defender that is the immediate threat.   

hog of steele

Quote from: devildoghawg on December 11, 2017, 11:03:06 am
College kids are going to do college kid things.  Eating junk food and being lazy is part of that.  It's the coaches responsibility to manage his talent pool.

BB assigned a grad student for the sole purpose of making sure AC ate. What more would you have done?

devildoghawg

I think he meant to say there is an athletic performance difference in a sprinter and power lifter, but the idea that there are different types of lean tissue is not true.  You have different types of muscle fibers, but that has almost nothing to do with overall muscular appearance.  The only difference in a sprinter and power lifter is muscle density and fat.

devildoghawg

Quote from: hog of steele on December 11, 2017, 11:04:25 am
BB assigned a grad student for the sole purpose of making sure AC ate. What more would you have done?

Considering I was in the marine corps, and have seen first hand that you can very effectively manipulate someone's weight through diet, regardless of if they are over or under weight, there are numerous things one could have done if he cared.  One look at Bret gave the clear indication that personal accountability when it comes to health was not a priority of his, so why would you think that would translate to the players?

HogHomer

Quote from: devildoghawg on December 11, 2017, 11:07:33 am
Considering I was in the marine corps, and have seen first hand that you can very effectively manipulate someone's weight through diet, regardless of if they are over or under weight, there are numerous things one could have done if he cared.  One look at Bret gave the clear indication that personal accountability when it comes to health was not a priority of his, so why would you think that would translate to the players?
Ah you just don't like BB so he will always be wrong no matter what he did. Got it.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: jkstock04 on December 11, 2017, 11:03:52 am
I'll try and simply it for you. If you want to bulk up...low reps, high weight. Want to lean up...higher reps, lighter weight.

At least I'm not the one with conspiracy theories about the university trying to hide his real weight, and try and make it look like he was lighter than he really was.

"Lean up," is by losing fat.  Higher reps, less weight, will just tear down less muscle.  Muscle is muscle. 

And I didn't accuse you of heading up the conspiracy theory dept. at the UA.  Not even sure where that came from? 

Just don't know why people can't realize that AC carried weight on his own accord.  He wasn't instructed to "get fat."   

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: devildoghawg on December 11, 2017, 11:05:26 am
I think he meant to say there is an athletic performance difference in a sprinter and power lifter, but the idea that there are different types of lean tissue is not true.  You have different types of muscle fibers, but that has almost nothing to do with overall muscular appearance.  The only difference in a sprinter and power lifter is muscle density and fat.

Oh for sure...RB's are one of the hardest to train, because you have to balance the work with fast twitch as well as mass.  But what he's describing is simply doing squats with 15 reps rather than 4-5 reps, using less weight...will just tear down less tissue, and consequently not build as much back through repair.  That would be more of a "maintenance" type of program, which is exactly what SOME athletes end up needing so that they don't get slower. 

The discussion on here about DMAC is a great example.  TONS of fast twitch in that fella.  But...he was so thin from the waist down, that taking the beating in the NFL just proved to be too much for his genetics, FOR THE STYLE HE RUNS.  Others have succeeded, but they didn't run like him. 

Malvin

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on December 11, 2017, 10:23:31 am
Yep. OP lost all credibility after that blundering comment.

I'll eat crow on that, I was in a hurry and did a quick google search that found an article from the Seattle Times that said.. "Seahawks obviously though enough of Collins in the first place to draft him in the fifth round in 2016."  Saw the word first and I moved on.. so my bad.  It does highlight my point though, how could a kind with his talent go in the fifth round... under a more disciplined coach who got after their players would he have been a 1st or 2nd round pick? 

My entire point here is that yes, it sounds like BB had grad students going after him and that for a number of reasons maybe he was a slacker.. but would a coach who got after their players more instead of being their 'friend' got better results?  Could AC have surpassed McFadden's performance on the field with a more motivated team and as a more motivated player?

greenEGnHAWGS

Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Malvin on December 11, 2017, 11:25:09 am
I'll eat crow on that, I was in a hurry and did a quick google search that found an article from the Seattle Times that said.. "Seahawks obviously though enough of Collins in the first place to draft him in the fifth round in 2016."  Saw the word first and I moved on.. so my bad.  It does highlight my point though, how could a kind with his talent go in the fifth round... under a more disciplined coach who got after their players would he have been a 1st or 2nd round pick? 

My entire point here is that yes, it sounds like BB had grad students going after him and that for a number of reasons maybe he was a slacker.. but would a coach who got after their players more instead of being their 'friend' got better results?  Could AC have surpassed McFadden's performance on the field with a more motivated team and as a more motivated player?

Even at ACs peak performance, he wouldn't have been DMac.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Malvin on December 11, 2017, 11:25:09 am

Yeah, thought you were trolling, and this just confirms it.  He was about as good as he was going to be in BB's system, which having that extra weight wasn't a huge deal.  Remember, when you get into the secondary in the SEC against the top teams, the speed is VERY close to that in the NFL.  I doubt he's going to "pull away" from the NFL secondary players either. 

Who knows on your last question?  Maybe he goes to Bama, "can't get right," and Saban doghouses him permanently, because he has backs that are almost as good as him.  Then what?  He transfers to UL Monroe...and then where does he get drafted, or does he? 

You need to let the past be the past, accept that for now he seems to be catching on with the Ravens, and enjoy the ride.  Stop trolling. 

Malvin

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 11, 2017, 10:50:24 am
It was partially due to talent.  It wasn't a great time to be in Oakland and he wasn't a bad NFL back when healthy.  Never worthy of the pick where he was chosen even if he had stayed healthy. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1797280-is-this-the-beginning-of-the-end-for-darren-mcfadden-in-oakland

"One of the biggest problems facing McFadden is his lack of vision, even in a scheme that better suits his style. McFadden's struggles in 2012 were blamed on the zone-blocking scheme, even though it's a scheme that has proven to be successful at the NFL level.

It was McFadden that struggled to see the cutback lanes necessary to make the zone-blocking scheme a success. That's not to say that McFadden is a bad player, but he is a limited one."

That may be true, but I think people greatly underestimate just how bad the Raiders were.  I'll never forget watching the Raiders..a screen pass that he caught.. at Arkansas he torched teams with that screen over and over.   With the raiders he had 3 blockers in front of them and at a glance you would think.. this is going to the house!  As the play unfolded the defensive had 2 players basically run pass the blockers.. not around them, through them untouched to tackle McFadden.  It was like his blockers had their eyes closed.. the most bizarre thing I have ever seen.  THAT, was the raiders.. over and over again.  There was a reason why over a 10 year span they were the worst team in the NFL year in and year out.

jkstock04

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 11, 2017, 11:16:11 am
"Lean up," is by losing fat.  Higher reps, less weight, will just tear down less muscle.  Muscle is muscle. 

And I didn't accuse you of heading up the conspiracy theory dept. at the UA.  Not even sure where that came from? 

Just don't know why people can't realize that AC carried weight on his own accord.  He wasn't instructed to "get fat."   
I've logged many hours in the gym to know what I am talking about. Higher reps with lesser weight tears down muscle? Lol I don't know about that. I guess speaking in 100% absolutes, I can only speak to my own body chemistry....if I want to gain weight and get stronger I would go on a serious regimen of low rep, heavy weight workouts for 3–4 months. If I did so and dieted correctly I could easily gain 20 pounds of muscle and maintain 20% body fat. If I wanted to "lean up" I would do something completely different than this.

I'm of the opinion Collins wasn't "fat" while here. It just looked to me like our players were being built and molded per something like the example I gave above. I could be way off but that's what it looked to me like seeing them in person watching them play.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

BallHog1

Is there any limit to what BB will be blamed for?
Global warming, proliferation of nuclear weapons, pollution, voter fraud, 19 years old not eating well....what else did he do?

Malvin

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 11, 2017, 11:29:15 am
Yeah, thought you were trolling, and this just confirms it.  He was about as good as he was going to be in BB's system, which having that extra weight wasn't a huge deal.  Remember, when you get into the secondary in the SEC against the top teams, the speed is VERY close to that in the NFL.  I doubt he's going to "pull away" from the NFL secondary players either. 

Who knows on your last question?  Maybe he goes to Bama, "can't get right," and Saban doghouses him permanently, because he has backs that are almost as good as him.  Then what?  He transfers to UL Monroe...and then where does he get drafted, or does he? 

You need to let the past be the past, accept that for now he seems to be catching on with the Ravens, and enjoy the ride.  Stop trolling.

I'm not trolling, I'm stating what we all can see and know here is that BB was very bad for our program.  As we try to understand why we had a terrible record over the past 5 years this is part of it.  AC had 5 star talent and was a great RB for us, but under a coach that wasn't mediocre he could have been legendary.  He obviously has the ability to our run SEC defenses because we are now seeing how out run NFL defenses.. that's the entire point.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Malvin on December 11, 2017, 11:31:56 am
That may be true, but I think people greatly underestimate just how bad the Raiders were.  I'll never forget watching the Raiders..a screen pass that he caught.. at Arkansas he torched teams with that screen over and over.   With the raiders he had 3 blockers in front of them and at a glance you would think.. this is going to the house!  As the play unfolded the defensive had 2 players basically run pass the blockers.. not around them, through them untouched to tackle McFadden.  It was like his blockers had their eyes closed.. the most bizarre thing I have ever seen.  THAT, was the raiders.. over and over again.  There was a reason why over a 10 year span they were the worst team in the NFL year in and year out.

They stunk so bad, that they resorted to dump passes to McFadden REPEATEDLY, and he would catch the ball and just get LEVELED time after time.  It was bad.  And...he also took some viscious hits pass blocking as well...because the line stunk so bad. 

Not going to argue that his career was hindered by how Oakland used him...sort of how Eark Campbell was with the Oilers, only his was in a different manner...just grossly over-used. 

HOWEVER, I'm still not convinced he had the build to take the pounding in the NFL.   

Grumpypenguin

Quote from: IronHog on December 11, 2017, 10:06:54 am

He was too heavy, fumbled several games away, and couldn't block to save his life.

BB got about half a season out of a "5 Star" back

AC was a great blocker by his 3rd year here

hogsanity

that poster never lets pesky things like facts get in the way..............
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Malvin on December 11, 2017, 11:34:36 am
I'm not trolling, I'm stating what we all can see and know here is that BB was very bad for our program.  As we try to understand why we had a terrible record over the past 5 years this is part of it.  AC had 5 star talent and was a great RB for us, but under a coach that wasn't mediocre he could have been legendary.  He obviously has the ability to our run SEC defenses because we are now seeing how out run NFL defenses.. that's the entire point.

Did you miss the SEC ALL TIME stats given above?  He's having a good season with the Ravens, and he's a good back.  Look how many other late round, or UNDRAFTED backs there are in the NFL that are doing well...guys you've never heard of. 

What are you even trying to say man?  That BB ruined AC?  Again....he lacked self discipline, and that's on HIM.  I think he would tell you that to your face if you asked him. 

I will GUARANTEE YOU that AC is not going to outrun the secondary in the NFL.  He may get past them if they have a bad angle, and he could always outrun most LB's.  You're acting like he went to the Ravens and immediately became the next Walter Payton or something.  It's ONE season man...and I hope he does amazingly well moving forward, but the list of ONE season effective running backs is LONG my friend. 

greenie

If Collins was over-weight/out-of-shape while at Arkansas, it's his fault, not CBB's.  It was well known that his work ethic, at times, was not what it should have been.  That looks like it may have changed now...and why not, he's grown up a bit.  Jonathon Williams was here at the same time, in the same group, subject to the same workouts/drills, and was always in peak condition (and almost never fumbled).  Why in the world do people feel the need to continue to create ways to take shots at Bielema.  The guy didn't make it here, for whatever reason.  He has continued to be classy in his exit.  It looks like we're on the upswing now, and so is Alex. 

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

I work with an Alabama/Baltimore fan. He asked what the heck we did to Collins while he was here. He said Alex never looked this fast in college.
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

hogsanity

Quote from: Malvin on December 11, 2017, 11:34:36 am

HE is not making his yards out running people down field. He is making his yards  being patient, waiting for blocks, and making quick cuts ( alot like Bell at PB ). He is not busting off 30+ yard runs very often. With the speed of nfl defenders hardly anyone is doing that anymore.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: greenie on December 11, 2017, 11:39:40 am
If Collins was over-weight/out-of-shape while at Arkansas, it's his fault, not CBB's.  It was well known that his work ethic, at times, was not what it should have been.  That looks like it may have changed now...and why not, he's grown up a bit.  Jonathon Williams was here at the same time, in the same group, subject to the same workouts/drills, and was always in peak condition (and almost never fumbled).  Why in the world do people feel the need to continue to create ways to take shots at Bielema.  The guy didn't make it here, for whatever reason.  He has continued to be classy in his exit.  It looks like we're on the upswing now, and so is Alex.

I'm blaming myself for feeding the troll.  He's doing a pretty good job of mixing in some points that are interesting to debate, but te overall theme is that AC would have won 3 Heisman trophies at the UA if BB wasn't the coach here.   ::)

hogsanity

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 11, 2017, 11:39:35 am
Did you miss the SEC ALL TIME stats given above?  He's having a good season with the Ravens, and he's a good back.  Look how many other late round, or UNDRAFTED backs there are in the NFL that are doing well...guys you've never heard of. 

What are you even trying to say man?  That BB ruined AC?  Again....he lacked self discipline, and that's on HIM.  I think he would tell you that to your face if you asked him. 

I will GUARANTEE YOU that AC is not going to outrun the secondary in the NFL.  He may get past them if they have a bad angle, and he could always outrun most LB's.  You're acting like he went to the Ravens and immediately became the next Walter Payton or something.  It's ONE season man...and I hope he does amazingly well moving forward, but the list of ONE season effective running backs is LONG my friend. 

This is just another in the 100 threads we will see the nest 2 weeks bringing up BB to get clicks/replies because until the early singing day and NSD in FEB there is not going to be alot of fb news except the naming of a DC.

I mean look how many HDN and BP threads we still see. HDN has not coached here in a decade and BP has been gone 6 full seasons now.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on December 11, 2017, 11:40:28 am
I work with an Alabama/Baltimore fan. He asked what the heck we did to Collins while he was here. He said Alex never looked this fast in college.

Or....Man, Alex Collins sure has changed his ways right?  He went from not caring at all, and eating entire pizza's every night, to caring, trimming down, and working on his weaknesses. 

But no...it has to be because BB personally fed him cheetos and Dr. Pepper.   ::) ::) ???

Hogwild

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on December 11, 2017, 10:06:10 am
Fournette was close, but didn't play a full season his Junior year. Walker, McFadden, Collins, and Chubb are the only backs to have three 1,000 yard rushing seasons in the SEC.

Kevin Faulk had three consecutive 1,000 yards seasons as well.

Uncommon

greenie

Quote from: hogsanity on December 11, 2017, 11:41:53 am
HE is not making his yards out running people down field. He is making his yards  being patient, waiting for blocks, and making quick cuts ( alot like Bell at PB ). He is not busting off 30+ yard runs very often. With the speed of nfl defenders hardly anyone is doing that anymore.

Agree.  Collins has never been the type to outrun DBs...and still isn't.  He's a tremendous talent, but not much of a breakaway threat, ala DMac.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hogsanity on December 11, 2017, 11:44:15 am
This is just another in the 100 threads we will see the nest 2 weeks bringing up BB to get clicks/replies because until the early singing day and NSD in FEB there is not going to be alot of fb news except the naming of a DC.

I mean look how many HDN and BP threads we still see. HDN has not coached here in a decade and BP has been gone 6 full seasons now.

I'm angry at myself for getting involved.  There's no requirement for anyone to defend BB, but you would think that the fans that are intelligent enough to see that taking shots at him aren't helping anything, would understand that "If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all." 

I guess some were just raised differently than others.  Deep down, BB knows he's responsible for the failure.  Who else could he possibly blame?  He has to own that, and from what I've seen, he has.  I'm sure he has some more pointed reasons he would share in a private conversation at some point in the future, but it serves no purpose right now. 

I've never been one who is big on burning bridges.  It always comes back to bite you, and sometimes...you don't ever even know it until later.     

Hogwild

FrJoseph

Quote from: Malvin on December 11, 2017, 09:56:18 am
As I watch Alex Collins torch the Steelers defense, I just have to wonder how much Bert's approach to football hurt him.  Think about it, very talented running back but he never really had that break away speed in college.  He was really good, but could he have become a Legend at Arkansas under a coach who pushed their players to be their best?

Think about it, he gets out of college and goes to Seattle at hits a wall.. to slow, to big, he learns real fast what it takes to get it done at a high level in football.. as he barley makes the team as a first round draft pick but then is cut the next year.  Coming into the Ravens he is a total different player, I've never seen him play this fast before.  If he had Petrino, or Nutt, or heck any coach who pushes their players to be the best.. could he have been the next McFadden?

Yes.

For whatever reason, Bret had a problem with speed. Look at Dominique Reed as well. The season before last he orettt much saved when he came in. Last year he hardly ever hit the field. It was strange. AC is a superb human being. I just saw his highlights, but am pleased he is doing well and had seemingly found a home!!

Fr Joe
You made us for yourself oh God, and are hearts are restless until they rest in you.

Uncommon

hobhog

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on December 11, 2017, 10:15:47 am
You might want to consider had it not been for Coach Bielema, Alex Collins would have never set foot in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

SooieGeneris

Alex had a great college career, 3 1,000 yard seasons?

Only Herschel Walker and DMac have done that in the HISTORY of the SEC!

Yes, he could have done better, ball security was his biggest problem both here and in Seattle, but three thousand yard seasons is a great accomplishment.

BB can be faulted for MANY things, I don't think Collins is one of them. It is on the PLAYER, not just the coach to get in great shape and stay that way.

However, I would say having a grossly overweight HC gadding about in flip flops with a hangover and a three day growth of beard is not setting a good example in terms of discipline.

I can see where a player who needed to lose weight or gain discipline would eyeroll at being lectured to about such things as diet etc. by such a guy as Bert.

That "do as I say, not as I do" never works, never has, never will.

As far as Collins, the one most memorable play of his UA career to me was a run vs A&M.

Armani Watts, a 4 star safety for the Aggies who made All-SEC this year had AC dead to rights in the open field.

The supposedly "fat, slow" Collins gave Watts one move and left him in the dust, made him look ridiculous.

I will guarantee his team mates at A&M rode him hard in the film room over how Collins made him look.

We have fans who are constantly talking like LSU has sprinters at every position and we are fat and slow. Collins left them in the dust on an 80 yard run at Baton Rouge two years ago.

Granted, LSU has better speed than we do, hopefully CM can close some of that gap in recruiting, but also in S&C.

Herbert bulked us up too much on Bert's orders. Sprinters do NOT look like body builders. Bert and Her-bert tried to make nearly all of them look like body builders.

Collins overcame that and getting cut by Seattle was likely a wake up call. He wound up in a better situation as the line in Seattle is their achilles heel.

Baltimore is a better fit for him.
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

hogsanity

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 11, 2017, 11:49:17 am
I'm angry at myself for getting involved.  There's no requirement for anyone to defend BB, but you would think that the fans that are intelligent enough to see that taking shots at him aren't helping anything, would understand that "If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all." 

I guess some were just raised differently than others.  Deep down, BB knows he's responsible for the failure.  Who else could he possibly blame?  He has to own that, and from what I've seen, he has.  I'm sure he has some more pointed reasons he would share in a private conversation at some point in the future, but it serves no purpose right now. 

I've never been one who is big on burning bridges.  It always comes back to bite you, and sometimes...you don't ever even know it until later.     

To me this thread was dumb, not due to the assertion that AC was held back, but the thought that he was held back at all. He gained over 3700 yards in 3 seasons. The thought that he could have out done D-mac is absurd. The entire offense in 06 and 07 was built around getting dmac the ball in his hands just about every play because he was that dynamic. AC was a above avg college rb, but he was not dynamic like Dmac. Dmac was a threat to go 80 on any given play, but for every play like that he had many 1-2 yard gains by running into 9 guys who knew he was getting the ball.  AC was a threat to get 7-15 yards 25 times a game because the offense was designed to get him the blocking to do that if he would be patient.

Dark Helmet Hog

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hogsanity on December 11, 2017, 11:56:24 am
To me this thread was dumb, not due to the assertion that AC was held back, but the thought that he was held back at all. He gained over 3700 yards in 3 seasons. The thought that he could have out done D-mac is absurd. The entire offense in 06 and 07 was built around getting dmac the ball in his hands just about every play because he was that dynamic. AC was a above avg college rb, but he was not dynamic like Dmac. Dmac was a threat to go 80 on any given play, but for every play like that he had many 1-2 yard gains by running into 9 guys who knew he was getting the ball.  AC was a threat to get 7-15 yards 25 times a game because the offense was designed to get him the blocking to do that if he would be patient.

Totally agree with this assessment.  He was amazing, and if he hadn't shared the load with JWill to start out with, he might have gained even more.  Then again...he might have gotten hurt...who knows? 

If he had kept the fat off, and been a little more of a student of the game, then yes...there's the potential he might have been a notch better.  But...one could also argue that with the beating he took running primarily between the tackles for 3 years, maybe the extra weight helped him.  We'll never know.  What we do know is...he was amazing, and we've had few players who loved the Hogs more than him. 

greenie

If AC was not in top physical shape while at Arkansas, it was 100% his fault.  He had the same opportunities to train right and eat right that JWill had.  He was probably eating too many hush puppies while working at the Catfish Hole.
My gosh, he had over 3800 yards in 3 seasons...but somehow CBB held him back.  Ridiculous. 
AC had a great career here, and CBB helped make that happen...like it or not.

rude1

Another victim of "bodies by Herb" myth. Every player brought into this program was immediately stacked more mass onto them and subsequently loss speed and agility. But hey those before and after pictures were sure great to look at. Unfortunately when they got to the NFL combine we found out not only were they were slower, they were weak also...........