Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lane Kiffin question

Started by husker71, December 08, 2017, 09:10:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

husker71

If you go back in this forum you will see some topics started not to mention a lot of comments about Lane Kiffin.  I admit I am no Lane Kiffin fan.  My question is this    there had to be 15 or more jobs open and did he get any interviews at all for any of them??  Was he rumored anywhere beside Hogville and a Florida board about being a serious candidate that anyone wanted??   

RazorNick

Oregon was the last possibility, but not sure if they were interested in each other

woodrow hog call

Norvell and him both seem to be unsafe hires.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

husker71

you are right   on this board for a long time Norvell and Kiffin were 2 of the main topics.  Did anyone hear about either on getting any interviews or steam from another school.

247Hog

If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

Großer Kriegschwein

I believe he interviewed really early in the process but was never very seriously considered.

Late in the process it was just Gus as a 1st option but continuing to vet the 2a & 2b options who each had support from certain people in positions of influence (Morris & Norvell).

Leach did have a good interview during the CFB Hall of Fame trip, but was ultimately decided that he wasn't as good a long-term fit for the job.

This is my non-signature signature.

SchrodingersHog

I posted a similar question on one of the Kiffin threads.  Asked if he was such a great catch for Arkansas, why hadn't any of the other P5 schools grabbed him. 

I'm glad we didn't hire him.  He appears to be an immature jerk.  Hardly a great role model for college athletes.  I guess the AD's at those other schools thought the same. 

I hope CM does well here.  If he doesn't, the Kiffinites will be screaming I told you so.

Hawghiggs

Kiffin is a product of his own doing. If he really wants another P5 job. Then he needs to work on turning FAU into something and stop all these twitter wars or whatever they are called.

The Kig

He was easily the best option.  Have moved on to acceptance with Morris, but he and Venables were the only real homerun hires.  Not sure where the breakdown happened in the interviews.   Maybe he showed his arse.  Time to move on now that Morris is our HC.
Poker Porker

BrianG

Never understood Venables as a home run hire.  He has never been a HC.  He could be a good one but no one knows.

Wild Bill Hog

I was pro Norvell, but was leery of Kiffin.  Kiffin needs to grow up fast.

hoglady

What job was a realistic option for Kiffin?

Tenn - no
Aggies, Ms. St. and Florida - they appeared to have made their decision on new coaches prior to the old coach leaving.
Ole miss - Kiffin would have turned down.
That leaves Arkansas, Florida St and Oregon.
And we don't even know whether he wanted any of those jobs.
Chris Lowe said on the radio this week - he had spent last week with Kiffin and believed
he wanted to stay where he was for at least another year.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

depressed_fan

When the Raiders fired Kiffin in the middle of 2008, Al Davis held about a 45 minute press conference detailing all Kiffin's issues. Basically painted him as a liar, insubordinate, immature, ignoring authority, referring a past oakland QB to get a mental evaluation for questioning him, banning long time media from practice and generally causing problems.  Some of that you can probably put on the dysfunctional Davis but some seemed valid as there were witnesses.  I think that pc is still on youtube. He didn't last long at Southern Cal either.

He's probably where he needs to be. A small directional program.

parallaxpig

Kiffin is a risk for any AD to hire, especially one on day 1.............
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

docryde3

If he actually turned down Arkansas, he must of thought he was the homerun hire for FSU. Most likely he didn't have any real offers, and I agree he is a high risk. He most likely needs to coach a few more years at one school to be considered again.
Woo Pig Sooie

Hogwild

Quote from: depressed_fan on December 09, 2017, 08:50:40 am
When the Raiders fired Kiffin in the middle of 2008, Al Davis held about a 45 minute press conference detailing all Kiffin's issues. Basically painted him as a liar, insubordinate, immature, ignoring authority, referring a past oakland QB to get a mental evaluation for questioning him, banning long time media from practice and generally causing problems.  Some of that you can probably put on the dysfunctional Davis but some seemed valid as there were witnesses.  I think that pc is still on youtube. He didn't last long at Southern Cal either.

He's probably where he needs to be. A small directional program.

Al Davis+Lane Kiffin+Jamarcus Russell= worse possible trio to put together

bkjbearcat

Quote from: husker71 on December 08, 2017, 09:18:48 pm
you are right   on this board for a long time Norvell and Kiffin were 2 of the main topics.  Did anyone hear about either on getting any interviews or steam from another school.

I thought it was interesting that Norvell wasn't targeted by Tenn. He's right there in their backyard. Maybe it was the Arkansas job or nothing for Norvell. But still interesting.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

TNarch

As I have said before, I'm not sure that Kiffin will be seriously considered at any major school until he spends a couple more years where he is and shows some maturity and repeat performance.  He has a high level of toxicity, a poor record of stability and a mediocre record on the field.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: Hawghiggs on December 08, 2017, 09:53:24 pm
Kiffin is a product of his own doing. If he really wants another P5 job. Then he needs to work on turning FAU into something and stop all these twitter wars or whatever they are called.

i agree. i would've taken him, but he's mouthy online. it could be, however, that he's fairly satisfied with what he has and wants to create a track record, and the twitter is his way of making sure he gets noticed over and above his record.

buy yeah.....
The rest of the frog.

longtimeHogfan

December 09, 2017, 11:12:36 am #19 Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 12:11:29 pm by longtimeHogfan
Soooo glad we don't have Kiffin.   Unmitigated jerk. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Mellon Collie

Kiffin told arkansas thanks, but no thanks.

Snout team

I was getting ready to board the Lane train until the last two tweets before our decision.  From the interview on espn a few days earlier I thought he had matured.  After seeing the last two tweets I realized he had not.

Glad we didn't get him.
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Mellon Collie on December 09, 2017, 11:14:57 am

Facts or it didn't happen.  That's the bottom line.

Cinco de Hogo

If he had he would have twitted about it you can bet.

popcornhog

Quote from: husker71 on December 08, 2017, 09:10:27 pm
If you go back in this forum you will see some topics started not to mention a lot of comments about Lane Kiffin.  I admit I am no Lane Kiffin fan.  My question is this    there had to be 15 or more jobs open and did he get any interviews at all for any of them??  Was he rumored anywhere beside Hogville and a Florida board about being a serious candidate that anyone wanted??

It blows my mind that anyone would want LK. The good news is that the folks that were talking about him have zero power or influence.
WPS

DemiHOG

He doesn't need to be here!! My gosh, he's disruptive! And unreliable.

hobhog

All you need to know about him is that multiple job openings resulted in zero opportunities for Lane. Programs do their homework.

Peter Porker

Quote from: 247Hog on December 08, 2017, 09:19:42 pm
....K...I...F...F...I...N

Yea, good luck with that. Our fans cannot even get our players' names correct.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

HamGrowsOnTrees

Actually those Florida gigs are not too bad guys. Great recruiting pool. Fun campuses, they are starting to pay well.

I actually think strong and Kiffin will be at their current schools for a while more.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: parallaxpig on December 09, 2017, 08:53:30 am
Kiffin is a risk for any AD to hire, especially one on day 1.............

Or any university chancellor or president to sign off on.

I would have been fine with Kiffin. He was on my approved list. But I wouldn't have to live with responsibility for his tweets and antics, IF they persisted.

It is easy to have wanted him for our coach. I would be very difficult to hire him if you are the hiring authority for a large university. FAU is in a position where they can live with it.

carolinahogger

1.  Disloyal. 
2.  Immature.
3.  Joey Freshwater.

Add those together and you can see why no major program is interested.

cosmodrum

Gotta have that spelling bee I was talking about
Go away, batin'

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: hoglady on December 09, 2017, 08:45:34 am
What job was a realistic option for Kiffin?

Tenn - no
Aggies, Ms. St. and Florida - they appeared to have made their decision on new coaches prior to the old coach leaving.
Ole miss - Kiffin would have turned down.
That leaves Arkansas, Florida St and Oregon.
And we don't even know whether he wanted any of those jobs.
Chris Lowe said on the radio this week - he had spent last week with Kiffin and believed
he wanted to stay where he was for at least another year.

I admit, right or wrong, that Kiffin was in my top 3 or so. I also admit that thought was mostly based on how he did THIS season (which was amazing considering where that school had been) and I'm not sure that's enough. Having one good season has swayed many a coaching search in the wrong direction. It's happened to us before.

I was concerned about Florida State (when it was open) and Oregon, regarding Kiffin. They were certainly the sexier options. Kiffin may indeed need to prove it another year at FAU, before the bigger schools get serious.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Mellon Collie

Quote from: carolinahogger on December 09, 2017, 12:10:40 pm
1.  Disloyal. 
2.  Immature.
3.  Joey Freshwater.

Add those together and you can see why no major program is interested.

you forgot 2017 national coach of the year nominee

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Mellon Collie on December 09, 2017, 01:24:10 pm

Who was nominated in 2016?  I forgot that one too.

DLUXHOG

Y'all are obviously forgetting the issues at Alabama with a booster's wife and Saban's daughter.....  short memory span I guess...
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

carolinahogger

Quote from: Mellon Collie on December 09, 2017, 01:24:10 pm

Maybe you are right and the decision makers at every major program with a coaching vacancy are wrong.

Mellon Collie

Quote from: carolinahogger on December 09, 2017, 01:33:24 pm
Maybe you are right and the decision makers at every major program with a coaching vacancy are wrong.

or maybe those were jobs he did not want.

no reason to hate on a man who just turned around FAU in one year. 3-9 to 10-3,  8-0 conf champs

we got morris. be excited. about to have fun watching football again. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: The Kig on December 09, 2017, 08:26:23 am
He was easily the best option.  Have moved on to acceptance with Morris, but he and Venables were the only real homerun hires.  Not sure where the breakdown happened in the interviews.   Maybe he showed his arse.  Time to move on now that Morris is our HC.

Really? Have you ever interviewed him for a job or even otherwise? Do you know all of what were the supposedly candidates personally AND what they do coaching wise as well as otherwise? If not then you have no clue if he was the best option not.
As far as "real" home run hires there is no such thing.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Soooie21

Inhogswetrust

No thanks I don't believe you.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

TheEnemy

The thing with Kiffin is he might be considered too risky now.....but next year or the next he will probably be the hot name.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: TheEnemy on December 09, 2017, 05:14:19 pm
The thing with Kiffin is he might be considered too risky now.....but next year or the next he will probably be the hot name.
If Kiffin wins another conf championship he will be tops on all the lists next year.

1h0gl0w

It was stated  on the radio today that based on the rumors surrounding his program Kiffin was pretty much untouchable, thus no one pursued him. Tifwiw.

TheEnemy

Quote from: DLUXHOG on December 09, 2017, 01:31:38 pm
Y'all are obviously forgetting the issues at Alabama with a booster's wife and Saban's daughter.....  short memory span I guess...

Pretty sure those were false.  I know the Saban's daughter rumor was false.

JONAS

I wanted Kiffin or Norvell.  I do not think that Kiffin would have fit the culture here.  There is a lot more to being a head coach than just recruiting and coaching football.  I think Norvell would have fit in better, but not like Morris.  I was totally against Morris, but I feel like we got it right.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 09, 2017, 01:52:26 pm
No thanks I don't believe you.

Well....he actually said yes until they pulled the offer.

PRJ

Tusker4life

Why did they pull the offer? Just curious..

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on December 09, 2017, 05:50:07 pm
Well....he actually said yes until they pulled the offer.

PRJ
Cheering for Alabama because they are in the SEC is like cheering for the Devil because he is in the Bible...

ChitownHawg

Quote from: TNarch on December 09, 2017, 10:54:56 am
As I have said before, I'm not sure that Kiffin will be seriously considered at any major school until he spends a couple more years where he is and shows some maturity and repeat performance.  He has a high level of toxicity, a poor record of stability and a mediocre record on the field.

This is my feeling as well. In several of the "hire Kiffin" threads I asked why was he a good choice? Or a home run hire?

No one answered. It is the Gruden thing. People not understanding what makes a great college HC. Gruden has never recruited or been a college coach. Kiffin has never been the positive front man nor the winning HC.

Kiffin is doing what he needs to do. Stay there, win, be the positive front man, and rebuild his brand over time.

If we offered him the job then we dodged a bullet.  I just don't think we did give an offer.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

007 License To Squeal

******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******