Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

lookin to buy my wife a gun for christmas

Started by bolo, December 07, 2017, 08:10:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bolo

handgun 9mm or whatever i need help. delta boy?
R.I.P OTR
R.I.P PRJ
2023 March Maddest Champion with a little help from my friends

grayhawg

Quote from: bolo on December 07, 2017, 08:10:53 pm
I'm not Delta, but a Glock 43 has a single stack clip and shoots like a dream

GolfNut57

Title sounds like a great opening for all kinds of humor. Gotta be careful about buying the wife a means of deadly force if you have a habit of coming home drunk.....smelling of strange perfumes........broke from gambling away the weekly paycheck........ ;)
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Mr.Swine89

Glocks are excellent. Springfield Armory XDS 9mm is a great small frame that's fun to shoot and easy to hide on your body. M&P Shields are excellent also.

bolo

Quote from: grayhawg on December 07, 2017, 08:56:22 pm
ok
R.I.P OTR
R.I.P PRJ

hog of steele

Quote from: Mr.Swine89 on December 07, 2017, 09:58:42 pm
Glocks are excellent. Springfield Armory XDS 9mm is a great small frame that's fun to shoot and easy to hide on your body. M&P Shields are excellent also.

I love my XDS. Just as a reminder though, the shield went on sale right after xmas last year. On sale, they were basically half the price. Essentially it's the same gun.

If they have the same sale check out PSA. I think they were selling the shield and three stripped lowers as a package for like 450.

95_alum

Let your wife test drive as many as possible.

DOGALUM

My wife has tried a few but settled on the Shield.  I'm a fan as well.  I'm carrying mine today. 
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

DeltaBoy

Baby Glocks or Smith and Wesson Shield and the Ruger LCP.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: grayhawg on December 07, 2017, 08:56:22 pm

Second the Glock, we are a 380 family no 9's but the Glock 42 is the same gun (basically) and my wife shoots it like a boss.  Fits her hand nicely, big enough she can get a good grip and not limp wrist it, and fits like a glove in all her carry purses.  She doesn't leave home without it.  I carry a Taurus TCP, I don't like hip or in waist band carry, it fits in every pocket I own so far and it has been flawless thus far.   

Wayne Watson

Quote from: bolo on December 07, 2017, 08:10:53 pm

I would go for a .40 instead of a nine.  The bigger question is, what is she comfortable using?
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

kodiakisland

Quote from: Wayne Watson on December 09, 2017, 05:23:20 pm
I would go for a .40 instead of a nine.  The bigger question is, what is she comfortable using?

After having many 9s, 40s, and 45s, i find little use for the 40.  I thought it would be the perfect round, capacity of a 9 and power of a 45.  In reality it didnt fit the needs of either. I'd stick to the 9 in a small platform.

Hard to go wrong with a shield or glock.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

SpareRib

Quote from: 95_alum on December 08, 2017, 08:26:57 am
Let your wife test drive as many as possible.

I second this one.  Bought my wife a Walther PPS a couple of years ago ... it's now my personal favorite CC.  😁
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

IronHog

Quote from: kodiakisland on December 10, 2017, 04:36:28 pm
After having many 9s, 40s, and 45s, i find little use for the 40.  I thought it would be the perfect round, capacity of a 9 and power of a 45.  In reality it didnt fit the needs of either. I'd stick to the 9 in a small platform.

Hard to go wrong with a shield or glock.

.40 is great if you had to carry a gun for a living

As a civilian I own 9mm and 45s
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

radar

During our 45 years of marriage my wife has shot a bunch of handguns and her favorite is the Walther PK380, it has a very light slide and recoil, the grip is excellent for smaller hands
Right now gunbuyer.com has them for $279, no tax, just pay your local ffl dealer to transfer.

hog of steele

Quote from: IronHog on December 10, 2017, 07:34:19 pm

That is what the FBI thought. But they are off the round too. If you carry for a living you can carry a full size gun. So 45 becomes a solid choice.

But what really is the swan song for 40 is the modern ballistics. The new round designs have made 9mm hit hard enough that it's not worth giving up capacity even for 45.

SpareRib

Quote from: IronHog on December 10, 2017, 07:34:19 pm

Yep.  My bedroom  friend is a SIG P245.  My carry is a Walther 9mm.  I'm 165 with a fairly narrow 33" waist and the Walther is easier to conceal and more comfortable for me.  Never saw the need for a .40.

I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

bolo

Quote from: radar on December 10, 2017, 08:00:29 pm
During our 45 years of marriage my wife has shot a bunch of handguns and her favorite is the Walther PK380, it has a very light slide and recoil, the grip is excellent for smaller hands
Right now gunbuyer.com has them for $279, no tax, just pay your local ffl dealer to transfer.
this looks good, i will check it out. thanks everyone
R.I.P OTR
R.I.P PRJ

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

David†

There are lots of great small platform cc guns out there. 9mm has enough power for personal protection and they're cheaper to shoot.

Slide springs can be pretty stiff to absorb recoil in the 3" barrel platform. Make sure she can rack the slide to load it safely. I've seen women have trouble with it. Make sure she gets a gun that's she is comfortable and confident shooting

IronHog

Quote from: hog of steele on December 10, 2017, 09:02:17 pm
That is what the FBI thought. But they are off the round too. If you carry for a living you can carry a full size gun. So 45 becomes a solid choice.

But what really is the swan song for 40 is the modern ballistics. The new round designs have made 9mm hit hard enough that it's not worth giving up capacity even for 45.

True. Modern bullets have put the 9mm back on the map big time.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

PonderinHog

riccoar

Quote from: SpareRib on December 10, 2017, 04:55:53 pm
I second this one.  Bought my wife a Walther PPS a couple of years ago ... it's now my personal favorite CC.  😁
Traded a Kimber 9mm for a Walther P99c AS.  Hell of a lot easier to shoot.  But definitely find a shop with a range and try out until she gets the one she likes.

TuffTusk

Semi's are nice, but if your wife is like mine, she's not a fan.  I bought her a little Ruger LCR in 22mag, and she loves it.  I like the platform and now own one in 357.
Making the world a better place one frosty mug at a time

kodiakisland

Quote from: TuffTusk on December 18, 2017, 02:53:16 pm
Semi's are nice, but if your wife is like mine, she's not a fan.  I bought her a little Ruger LCR in 22mag, and she loves it.  I like the platform and now own one in 357.

The ruger SP101 is nice.  My wife has one next to the bed.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

TuffTusk

Quote from: kodiakisland on December 18, 2017, 03:24:08 pm
The ruger SP101 is nice.  My wife has one next to the bed.
I'd like to own one in 327 Federal

pigture perfect

Getting good advice from these guys. I would just throw this in there, shy away from the .380. Ammo is not worth the cost. Start with the 9, see how comfortable she is with it, and go from there.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

kodiakisland

Quote from: TuffTusk on December 18, 2017, 06:05:00 pm
I’d like to own one in 327 Federal

We have the 32H&R mag.  It doesn't match the .327, but it does reach 1000fps with 115gr speer gold dots.
The .327 is pretty awesome though.  I have a Freedom Arms with dual cylinders in 32H&R and .327.  The .327 really shines with 130gr hard cast bullets.

TuffTusk

Quote from: kodiakisland on December 18, 2017, 07:58:12 pm
We have the 32H&R mag.  It doesn't match the .327, but it does reach 1000fps with 115gr speer gold dots.
The .327 is pretty awesome though.  I have a Freedom Arms with dual cylinders in 32H&R and .327.  The .327 really shines with 130gr hard cast bullets.
I may be mistaken, but won't the SP101 in 327 also shoot the 32 H&R mag and the 32 short?

DeltaBoy

Quote from: TuffTusk on December 18, 2017, 11:00:08 pm
I may be mistaken, but won't the SP101 in 327 also shoot the 32 H&R mag and the 32 short?

YES.

kodiakisland

Quote from: TuffTusk on December 18, 2017, 11:00:08 pm

Yes, and some shoot the 32acp as well.  Mine is chambered for the 32H&R, so it wont chamber the .327.

It is not good for the chamber in the long run though. You get slight erosion in the chamber and buildup from the shorter rounds. In most chambers it's not an issue, but Freedom Arms are much tighter tolerances and not a good idea to shoot shorter rounds in.

TuffTusk

Sorry to kinda derail your thread OP.  I just get excited about calibers and can't help myself.  Good luck on your search.

onebadrubi

You guys putting light fast rounds next to you ur bed, y'all need more knock Dow. Power. 

We personally have judges next to the bed, also you don't have to worry about a stray bullet going through walls. 

A woman most likely won't like a 40 for carry.  Usually a 9mm is about as big as they are comfortable with.  A lot of good 380 platforms out there to try.  Remington has an ice inexpensive option out I just saw recently.  I'm personally a Springfield fan myself. 

Albert Einswine

Smith & Wesson M&P Bodyguard .380

I carry one in my front pocket daily. It's a great shooting little gun. Accurate, and I've never had a failure to feed.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Mr.Swine89

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 20, 2017, 06:59:17 am
You guys putting light fast rounds next to you ur bed, y'all need more knock Dow. Power. 

We personally have judges next to the bed, also you don't have to worry about a stray bullet going through walls. 

A woman most likely won't like a 40 for carry.  Usually a 9mm is about as big as they are comfortable with.  A lot of good 380 platforms out there to try.  Remington has an ice inexpensive option out I just saw recently.  I'm personally a Springfield fan myself.

Nice to see a fellow Springfield fan. I carry an XDS .45 3.3 inch   Awesome knockdown and a small, easy to conceal package. Also carry a MOD 2 in .45 when travelling for the extra ammo capacity. Excellent firearms that have never failed in any way for me after 500+ rounds through each. Have a Glock 43 by the bed for the wife. Easy to shoot and reliable. Can't go wrong with those 2 companies.

je100

My wife will sometimes take our little Sig 380.  Kinda pricey but great gun, if you haven't bought one already.  Sports Academy sells them for a little over $500.

https://www.sigsauer.com/products/firearms/pistols/p238/

1highhog

I'd definitely go with the Roger LCP, it's a fine gun for a woman to carry and it's also a great little gun for concealed carry.

DeltaBoy