Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Has there ever been a less well recieved coaching hire?

Started by woo.pig, December 05, 2017, 08:09:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

tuskwound

Quote from: Doyle Hograves on December 05, 2017, 08:29:55 pm
I wanted anybody but this guy... Hell, I'd beg Bert to come back.
We have a winner! The rest of you guys can stop posting now, the prize for dumbest post of the day has been awarded.
"To hell with those fellows, buzzards gotta eat, same as worms." -Josey Wales

wachhog

Quote from: corpitguy on December 05, 2017, 08:13:11 pm
Our fan base is an embarrassment.
I don't think it was the fan base that lost all but 1 SEC game. Nor is it the fan base that can turn things around. A fan is, by definition, one who is an admirer of what he/she sees. Fans aren't sheep. Or lemmings.

Piggfoot

Quote from: wedge56 on December 05, 2017, 08:41:40 pm
Based on the praise heaped on Morris from outstanding football coaches, I would guess there have been plenty.
Bielema was also praised. I've heard when opposing coaches praise too loudly they think they've got it up your backside.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

devildoghawg

Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: pigmania on December 05, 2017, 08:40:05 pm
Our inability to hire a coach with a winning record and a decent recruiting ranking is what's an embarrassment.

Wildhog

Quote from: Jim Harris on December 05, 2017, 08:20:53 pm
Probably why he'll end up being the best they've had since at least the 1980s. That's how it kinda works around here.

Seriously, that's why I'm slightly encouraged.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

TexasHog

Quote from: STLhawg on December 05, 2017, 08:37:31 pm
Are you really THAT ignorant?  How much do you know about SMU and the situation Morris came into there.  I 'm betting you've done ZERO research on your own into the coach, but somehow you think you are an expert (rather or more like a lemming).

Both CBB and Morris coached their first 3 seasons at their respective schools after bad seasons with an interim.
Morris first 3 years 14-22
CBB record first 3 years 18-20 in a way stronger conference.

SMU football records.                                                                          Arkansas football record

2017 Morris 7-5                                                                                 2017 Bielema 4-8
2016 Morris 5-7                                                                                 2016 Bielema 7-6
2015 Morris 2-10                                                                               2015 Bielema 8-5
2014 Jones went 0-2 then resigned and the team finished 1-11             2014 Bielema 7-6
2013 Jones 5-7                                                                                  2013 Bielema 3-9
2012 Jones 7-6                                                                                  2012 John L 4-8
2011 Jones 8-5                                                                                  2011 Petrino 11-2
2010 Jones 7-7                                                                                  2010 Petrino 10-3

source https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/southern-methodist/

SMU National Recruiting Class Rankings
2018 ranked 70 Morris
2017 ranked 80 Morris
2016 ranked 75 Morris
2015 ranked 81 Morris
2014 ranked 80
2013 ranked 72 Jones
2012 ranked 70 Jones
2011 ranked 67 Jones
2010 ranked 66 Jones

Source https://247sports.com/college/southern-methodist/Season/2017-Football/Commits

Should have just kept Bielema if this is the best we could do.

Pudgepork

Who is going to ask Morris if his piss is hot?  Can't be much of a coach if it aint

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: OptimusHog on December 05, 2017, 08:44:00 pm
He was my choice. Man I can't believe we missed on him.

I can.  Jerry Jones is behind this.

dmacs_wife

Quote from: Broadway Rob on December 05, 2017, 08:25:52 pm
Listen bro, you can like the hire all you want, that's your right.  For me, all the data I'm seeing screams terrible hire.  Bo Mattingly can trot out all the experts to tell us how great the hire is, but if you do 5 minutes of research, you may have a different opinion, as I do.

What data are you referencing?

Art Vandelay

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on December 05, 2017, 08:14:41 pm
It's a toss off between JL and CM.

I think you mean toss up, toss off is something totally different, Lol.

Urban dictionary it...

RazorChuck

I am so disappointed, I am probably about to get banned.

STLhawg

Quote from: Piggfoot on December 05, 2017, 08:42:07 pm
Bielema's record his first three years here is better than Morris' at SMU.
SMU was 7-5, 5-7 and 1-11 in the prior three years before Morris arrived.  Arkansas was 10-3, 11-2 and 4-8 in the prior three years before BB arrived.  I think everyone can agree that SMU was much worse situation to step into.

redeye

Probably why he'll end up being the best they've had since at least the 1980s. That's how it kinda works around here.

Yep

And the way I remember it, Nutt was nearly forced on the University by fans.

Hogsfan1981

Quote from: Bogghawg on December 05, 2017, 08:21:23 pm
Your question implies the reaction on this board is typical across the state. Hogville is not representative of our fan base. (Irony: This is my 2,000th post) 

Guess that depends on what part of the state. I am hearing nothing but "Who?" "Are you kidding me?" "Why pay all that money to fire Bret to get this guy?"

"Why not Kiffin?"

"Why not Leach?"

"Why not Norvell?"

"Why not Venables?"

Most of the state is disappointed I'd bet. At the very least they are underwhelmed. But hey...who needs excitement.

Piggfoot

Quote from: STLhawg on December 05, 2017, 09:09:16 pm
SMU was 7-5, 5-7 and 1-11 in the prior three years before Morris arrived.  Arkansas was 10-3, 11-2 and 4-8 in the prior three years before BB arrived.  I think everyone can agree that SMU was much worse situation to step into.
That assumption can only be made by the graduation rate. We lost many NFL type players in Petrino's last year. Smiley did not replace them. Or better yet Arkansas' high schools did not keep turning out the Athletes Petrino enjoyed. The NFL type players that Bielema brought in were all from out of state except Henry and JC transfer Spaight. On top of that Birlema's Record was in the SEC West not the AAC. Morris May turn out to be a good head coach and I hope good fortune is kind to him. As a head coach calling all the shots he has not been in Bielema's league.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

potus

Problem is Razorback football today is as bad as Razorback basketball was back in the 70's when Broyles hired Eddie Sutton.

STLhawg

December 05, 2017, 10:12:10 pm #71 Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 10:28:19 pm by STLhawg
Quote from: Piggfoot on December 05, 2017, 09:23:51 pm
That assumption can only be made by the graduation rate. We lost many NFL type players in Petrino's last year.
Just how many exactly?  And who?  You should know since you brought it up.

Our 4-8 team under JLS was clearly not devoid of underclassmen talent based upon the number of guys that have played in the NFL from that roster (Wise, Flowers, Allen, J-Will, Hollister).

Quote from: Piggfoot on December 05, 2017, 09:23:51 pmOn top of that Birlema's Record was in the SEC West not the AAC.
BB has much easier/better job recruiting to the SEC than Morris did to the AAC (especially with SMU having won't only 6 game TOTAL the two season's prior to his). 

Quote from: Piggfoot on December 05, 2017, 09:23:51 pmAs a head coach calling all the shots he has not been in Bielema's league.
Correct, Morris was in the AAC like you mentioned before.  It was obvious that BB was taking us no where but down; his record of 4-8 in his fifth season made that clear.  I honestly don't think we have enough data on Morris to know how Morris will do here.  The PTB should have a lot more information about him than any of us do.  Heck on paper BB hire looked pretty great, but that turned out to be completely wrong.  I am not WOWed by the hire of Morris, but I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.  I cannot believe some of the venom people are spewing about it (it almost defies logic -- but I guess I was giving our fan base too much credit).

STLhawg

Quote from: RazorChuck on December 05, 2017, 09:10:36 pm
Jerry is a POS
Says they guy that has donated how much to help the university/program?   

JONAS

I'm ok now.  I don't have anything against Morris.  If I was offered the job, I would take it as well.  My problem is with the PTB.  If it is true that JCP offered Kiffin and it was pulled because we waited to wait on Gus, that is unacceptable.  That being said, I hope Coach Morris because the greatest coach in the history of Arkansas.  It is time we put this behind us and support the Hogs. 

HognitiveDissonance

1)He's not announced yet.
2)If he is, I don't necessarily think anything of the perception right now. He may stink, he may do great. But don't care what people think.

I don't care anything about 'winning the press conference'. Bielema talked the greatest game in the world. He won every interview he did. He commanded the room. Look what that got us. So who cares?

All anyone should care at this point is how well he will do, and no one knows that.

Pork Twain

Funny but if you log off of here, it seems a lot less negative.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

axharbor

Quote from: Broadway Rob on December 05, 2017, 08:16:34 pm
Because we don't bow down to the notion that an amazing OC can't field a decent defense to save his life, but somehow we're supposed to believe he's a good head coach?  Sheep follow the herd and don't think for themselves.  Don't be a sheep sir.

Well said my friend. I hope I'm wrong but this hire doesn't instill much confidence in me. I was hopeful that HY would come in and make a splash, was just hoping it'd be a big splash of excitement and not a big splash from a belly flop.

jkstock04

Quote from: toxichog on December 05, 2017, 08:28:01 pm
I think the VAST majority will receive him very welll......especially after they hear him speak and watch him work.  This board is not indicative of the fan base in general.  To satisfy this board.........it would have taken Saban, Dabo, or maybe Gruden to have everybody think it was great and come together. 
That's a nice spin and dance til you consider the attendance at the end of the year. This isn't the only barometer of the fan base but it is a barometer. 

To the OP, this was way down the list on hires...worst hire I've ever witnessed received by the fan base. Gonna be very ugly unless this guy wins big out the gate.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

PorkSoda

Quote from: VirginiaHog on December 05, 2017, 09:38:24 pm
The hire is great.
will you say that when he wins 3 games next year?  Seems good enough for the chad lovers
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

jkstock04

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on December 05, 2017, 11:02:28 pm
1)He's not announced yet.
2)If he is, I don't necessarily think anything of the perception right now. He may stink, he may do great. But don't care what people think.

I don't care anything about 'winning the press conference'. Bielema talked the greatest game in the world. He won every interview he did. He commanded the room. Look what that got us. So who cares?

All anyone should care at this point is how well he will do, and no one knows that.
This is a done deal. The press conference tomorrow will be a very big deal to the local media to pivot off of and scream to the sky how awesome everything is going to be.

Ill wager much more emphasis from the local press will be put on his stint at Clemson vs his time at SMU for obvious reasons.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Tusks

Are some of you guys that like to berate the fanbase for being unhappy with the hire and ineptness of the PTB form Jonestown members that couldn't commit.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

RazorbackFan1

Its a very tough spot for CM. I am disappointed in the decision to hire him. Since he has never developed an above average team, he will be under immediate fire. In the end it will be bad for everyone involved. The only way I see it being successful is if he wins big immediately. That is a tall order in the SEC-W.

Some people will rally behind him for now but if he misses a bowl game next year 90% of the fan base will be ready to move on. That is the major problem with this hire. He will get no benefit of the doubt based upon his experience. Then we look like a clown show.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: tusked on December 05, 2017, 08:10:45 pm
Jack Crowe

Actually Crowe had some support as his year at OC put some life into KH's stale offense.

I'd say John L but most everyone accepted that situation as beyond Long's control.

I don't think any permanent coach has had this many negatives to start with.  The only comparable situation was Hatfield who wasn't unpopular but definitely a distant 2nd to Jimmy Johnson.

STLhawg

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on December 05, 2017, 11:46:29 pm
I don't think any permanent coach has had this many negatives to start with.
Isn't the internet and social media the best?  It really brings out the negative nancies.

PigInTheHole

Quote from: commonnonsense on December 05, 2017, 09:06:20 pm
I think you mean toss up, toss off is something totally different, Lol.

Urban dictionary it...

I looked it up, you are right that reads completely different now

I'm not starting that rumor
12/02/2017 Malzahn "I just said that I want to be the head coach at Auburn."

Sivad

casken

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on December 05, 2017, 08:21:11 pm
I'm warming up to it.

I think there is an initial shock factor with this hire.

Gotta roll with it now.

am there with you
"The human capacity to know the good and the right is distorted by the human will to fulfill desire."-Dallas Willard

Phil D

GO HOGS!!!!!!

soooieman

Quote from: Broadway Rob on December 05, 2017, 08:25:52 pm
Listen bro, you can like the hire all you want, that's your right.  For me, all the data I'm seeing screams terrible hire.  Bo Mattingly can trot out all the experts to tell us how great the hire is, but if you do 5 minutes of research, you may have a different opinion, as I do.
I hated the hire until after an hour research. Maybe you should read more. Look for articles with context about his improvements and not just glaze over a losing record at SMU

texas tush hog

Your'e embarassing yourself again.

texas tush hog

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 05, 2017, 11:22:27 pm
will you say that when he wins 3 games next year?  Seems good enough for the chad lovers

5-7 that seems to be his motus-operandi.

Le Hogtre

Quote from: soooieman on December 06, 2017, 03:38:48 am
I hated the hire until after an hour research. Maybe you should read more. Look for articles with context about his improvements and not just glaze over a losing record at SMU

How exciting.  It takes a solid hour of absorbing propaganda to find this coach moderately acceptable.  No thank you.

Broadway Rob

Quote from: TexasHog on December 05, 2017, 08:46:30 pm
Both CBB and Morris coached their first 3 seasons at their respective schools after bad seasons with an interim.
Morris first 3 years 14-22
CBB record first 3 years 18-20 in a way stronger conference.

SMU football records.                                                                          Arkansas football record

2017 Morris 7-5                                                                                 2017 Bielema 4-8
2016 Morris 5-7                                                                                 2016 Bielema 7-6
2015 Morris 2-10                                                                               2015 Bielema 8-5
2014 Jones went 0-2 then resigned and the team finished 1-11             2014 Bielema 7-6
2013 Jones 5-7                                                                                  2013 Bielema 3-9
2012 Jones 7-6                                                                                  2012 John L 4-8
2011 Jones 8-5                                                                                  2011 Petrino 11-2
2010 Jones 7-7                                                                                  2010 Petrino 10-3

source https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/southern-methodist/

SMU National Recruiting Class Rankings
2018 ranked 70 Morris
2017 ranked 80 Morris
2016 ranked 75 Morris
2015 ranked 81 Morris
2014 ranked 80
2013 ranked 72 Jones
2012 ranked 70 Jones
2011 ranked 67 Jones
2010 ranked 66 Jones

Source https://247sports.com/college/southern-methodist/Season/2017-Football/Commits

Should have just kept Bielema if this is the best we could do.

NOPE!  Sorry sir, this doesn't fit the narrative we were told to follow.  You'll need to take these alternate facts elsewhere.  Take the team defensive ranking of 122 (out of 130 teams) for SMU out of here as well.  Can't have that kind of talk in this place of worship.
Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

soooieman

Quote from: Le Hogtre on December 06, 2017, 03:52:05 am
How exciting.  It takes a solid hour of absorbing propaganda to find this coach moderately acceptable.  No thank you.
Propaganda? These are not biased articles. It's other coaches and player reviews along with progress and success. Just because it doesn't fit your agenda does not make it true.

razorbass

BOAR_N2BWILD

Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

RazorChuck

If only Morris would see this and decide to stay at SMU.
That would be great.

elksnort

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on December 05, 2017, 08:21:11 pm
I'm warming up to it.

I think there is an initial shock factor with this hire.

Gotta roll with it now.
This is pretty much how I feel.

Dannyluvssonic

Based on his record so far, the backlash is well deserved.

RazorChuck

Quote from: Hogsfan1981 on December 05, 2017, 09:17:44 pm
Guess that depends on what part of the state. I am hearing nothing but "Who?" "Are you kidding me?" "Why pay all that money to fire Bret to get this guy?"

"Why not Kiffin?"

"Why not Leach?"

"Why not Norvell?"

"Why not Venables?"

Most of the state is disappointed I'd bet. At the very least they are underwhelmed. But hey...who needs excitement.

Yeah, why would we want anything to do with winning.
So we pick the loser to replace the loser.