Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

V acu

Started by flippinhogmana, November 30, 2017, 04:29:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

flippinhogmana

for me the game and the box score really don't tell me as much as the press conference.  If a team doesnt buy in, if they dont believe in what you are pitching, they will take the floor and they will do what they can physically - but they wont give you their passion because they simply wont have it to give.  I think a dream is starting to happen for these girls.  No its not an NCAA championship or even as SEC championship, but it is being a good team and being a surprise to many this year. 

I think the team is growing, and that several of the players are growing.  I think that little by little they are getting it.  I believe that Mike Neighbors is little by little building them and perhaps something more important  - inspiring them.

Oh yeah, in the game the hogs went back and forth from cold to hot but put the game away when they needed to against a decent team.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

LadybackBBFan

Agree with flippinhogmana.  Raven came through last night when Devin had an off game.  Not one of our better games - too many turnovers that were unforced.  Thomas got to play the four some.  That is her natural position in my opinion - it would be nice to have her out there with a post player.

LadybackBBFan

After watching the press conference, I need to watch the game on my Roku and reevaluate my comments.

psycHOGlogist

It was really nice to see RNB get hot last night after Cosper went out. (And then it was great to see Cosper drill a couple shots when she finally got her chance to come back in). We really need some consistency. The final margin of victory was a little misleading. The starters had put us up by 20+, I believe, when CMN emptied the bench. The subs got some minutes but weren't very good on D or O, and ACU got a little bit closer. But this game was a blowout midway through the 4Q.

ACU helped us a lot with their generosity to pass and hand the ball to us.

I agree with flippin that the team seems to be buying in and is happier/learning more.

However, I continue to worry about our scoring lapses. There are times in games when we not only can't hit from outside, but we can't make the bunnies either. That is going to hurt us against better competition.

Sunday's game against Kansas should be interesting. KU is currently undefeated, but they haven't played anyone good. They are starting, I believe, 3 JUCO transfers, a tall Fr post, and a soph or junior shooting guard. Their best player went down for the year with a knee injury in preseason. Apart from the Fr post, they aren't very big. I'd really like to see us win that game.

nwahogfan1

I watched the game last night and a couple other games this year and I do not see this team as talented enough especially shooting the 3 or creating their own shot except maybe MONK or playing SEC tough nose defense or rebounding to win more than a few games in the SEC.  The Talent is just not there this year. Boy we are wildly inconsistent scoring and rebounding the ball.  I am glad the ladies are having fun and hustling for their new coach who seems very patient and has a good plan but Coach Neighbors needs more SEC talent.  We gave up way too many offensive rebounds to a team that would not win a SEC game so rebounding is a  huge issue.  We are not athletic enough to get many steals so we can not turn the game around with steals and easy baskets. Our shooting is way to erratic and I will be honest I think some of these ladies should not be shooting 3s but our Coach is desperate on trying to find points so what the heck turn them all loose.  I do not see anything but HOPE in our new coach to give me any confidence for our team this year. 

I know we have some help scoring the ball from our transfers next year but we also need a older big lady in the paint who will get all over the boards and give us some consistent scoring in the paint in this recruiting class.   

Of course I am not telling any of you who follow the ladies anything you do not already know.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on November 30, 2017, 10:14:37 am
I watched the game last night and a couple other games this year and I do not see this team as talented enough especially shooting the 3 or creating their own shot except maybe MONK or playing SEC tough nose defense or rebounding to win more than a few games in the SEC.  The Talent is just not there this year. Boy we are wildly inconsistent scoring and rebounding the ball.  I am glad the ladies are having fun and hustling for their new coach who seems very patient and has a good plan but Coach Neighbors needs more SEC talent.  We gave up way too many offensive rebounds to a team that would not win a SEC game so rebounding is a  huge issue.  We are not athletic enough to get many steals so we can not turn the game around with steals and easy baskets. Our shooting is way to erratic and I will be honest I think some of these ladies should not be shooting 3s but our Coach is desperate on trying to find points so what the heck turn them all loose.  I do not see anything but HOPE in our new coach to give me any confidence for our team this year. 

I know we have some help scoring the ball from our transfers next year but we also need a older big lady in the paint who will get all over the boards and give us some consistent scoring in the paint in this recruiting class.   

Of course I am not telling any of you who follow the ladies anything you do not already know.

Seeing as how we won what one SEC game last year with more overall talent (especially JJ) I dont think we expected much for this year (but with what we have coming in already for next year, who couldn't be upbeat about this team).  But i guarantee you we will finish mid pack or better in the SEC, just wait and see
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: flippinhogmana on November 30, 2017, 11:54:25 am
Seeing as how we won what one SEC game last year with more overall talent (especially JJ) I dont think we expected much for this year (but with what we have coming in already for next year, who couldn't be upbeat about this team).  But i guarantee you we will finish mid pack or better in the SEC, just wait and see

You know much more about SEC women BB than me so I hope you are absolutely right.   I would for this team to finish in the middle.   They will have to shoot the ball very well in those wins.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on November 30, 2017, 01:38:11 pm
You know much more about SEC women BB than me so I hope you are absolutely right.   I would for this team to finish in the middle.   They will have to shoot the ball very well in those wins.

Mike said exactly the same thing before the season began "when we shoot the ball well, we should be in any ball game, when we shoot the ball poorly, we might get blown out'.  Thats pretty close to a direct quote of what he said.

LadybackBBFan

We won two games last year with one being on the road and JJ not getting into the game.  A good coach could have won at least three or four more games last year and almost that amount each of the last five years.