Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just in: Fuente

Started by razorbackred1, October 09, 2017, 08:41:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorbackred1

He took over a Memphis program that had given serious consideration to abolishing the football program , there were only 55 players on scholarship, Memphis 4 previous years record 11-38, his last 2 years 10-3 and 9-3, a great person, an outstanding coach, would be a great asset to the Razorback program

Hogtimes

Quote from: razorbackred1 on October 09, 2017, 08:41:21 pm
He took over a Memphis program that had given serious consideration to abolishing the football program , there were only 55 players on scholarship, Memphis 4 previous years record 11-38, his last 2 years 10-3 and 9-3, a great person, an outstanding coach, would be a great asset to the Razorback program

Virginia Tech is a better job than Arkansas. 

TX HOG

WilsonHog

Geoff Calkins, who writes for the Commercial Appeal in Memphis, knows Fuente from his days at Memphis. Calkins said last week that Fuente had no interest in coaching in the SEC.

rtr

The more smites the more intelligent I get.

rtr

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 09, 2017, 08:48:27 pm
Geoff Calkins, who writes for the Commercial Appeal in Memphis, knows Fuente from his days at Memphis. Calkins said last week that Fuente had no interest in coaching in the SEC.

That I understand, Fuente is a very intelligent man.  When Saban retires, Dabo would do well to stay at Clemson.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

The Hawg Marshal

Nothing wrong with making a call to find out. The worst he can say is no.

GoldCoastHog

Quote from: Hogtimes on October 09, 2017, 08:46:42 pm

Today , yes. However, they are a Coach removed from doormat status. When Frank Beamer took over, they were a perennial homecoming game. He started from scratch. Remember, success is never linear, nor a given. See the "Mike years " at Bama.

Tortfeasor

Quote from: rtr on October 09, 2017, 08:57:55 pm
Nope.

Yep. Especially now. You will see that a lot of coaches want nothing to do with the SEC.

Justagp

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 09, 2017, 08:48:27 pm
Geoff Calkins is in the know. Did he happen to mention Mike Norvell?

Cinco de Hogo

Coaches wanting nothing to do with the SEC is understandable.

carolinahogger

This whole "open the checkbook" concept is ridiculous.  Give them a lower salary plus incentives for winning.  Opening the checkbook got us in this sh**** situation that we are in today.

Roaringboar

That'll never happen.......he's rebuilt Virginia Tech into a top 25 team in a single season.....And the ACC right now is undoubtedly better than the SEC.......I couldn't see him leaving to take over the horrible mess we call a football program when he has everything he could want at Tech.....
Let's all get aboard the LANE TRAIN BABY!!!! CHOOO-CHOOO!!!

3kgthog

Nope.

Easily yep. No Saban in their conference (Dabo might be the same thing), probably equal or better in-state talent than Arkansas, easily satisfied fanbase, more recent success, already beat us head to head, no Jeff Long, and Enter Sandman is cooler than running through the A (sorry, it just is).

hog.goblin

Yep

Nope.

It's been better for 25 years, so yep, it's a better job

Bubba's Bruisers

Without a doubt.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

The Boar War

Quote from: Roaringboar on October 09, 2017, 09:12:47 pm
That'll never happen.......he's rebuilt Virginia Tech into a top 25 team in a single season.....And the ACC right now is undoubtedly better than the SEC.......I couldn't see him leaving to take over the horrible mess we call a football program when he has everything he could want at Tech.....

Agreed.  We need to find the next Fuente.

sowmonella

Folks are always wanting someone else to open up the check book or pay off the buyout. Rich people didn't get rich being stupid.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Oklahawg

Fuente is from Tulsa. This is damn near home.

If he doesn't want the SEC it is because he likes where he is at and feels it could be the meal ticket to the very top.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Roaringboar

Quote from: The Boar War on October 09, 2017, 09:35:23 pm
Agreed.  We need to find the next Fuente.

Here's the only problem with that........when you say you're looking for "the next big deal", there's always going to be the issue of actually finding that......Let's face it, schools like Tech who got Fuente and even Clemson when they signed Dabo Sweeny were really, REALLY lucky......that type of luck isn't garunteed, and who's to say fans don't call for this new coach's head on a platter after just a few bad seasons.......if you do like everyone wants, bring this coach in with a low salary, really low buyout then the knee jerk reaction becomes fire the coach......hey, it's happened in the NFL......Look at teams like Cleveland and Jacksonville, going through 4-5 coaches in a 6 year span........I know that's the NFL, but it could just as easily become Arkansas......Last thing you want is a spinning door of coaches coming in and out like what happened to A-State, though they didn't really have a choice in their coaches going....... it really doesn't help the program to be in that type of situation......
Let's all get aboard the LANE TRAIN BABY!!!! CHOOO-CHOOO!!!

The_Iceman

The Hawg Marshal

One telephone call won't hurt a thing. He's probably happy where he's at but.... you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

moses_007

Arkansas isn't going to hire a football coach from Memphis. 

SugarHillGaHog

If I was him I would turn it down.  It's a three year gig then you are tossed out in the SEC.  Bret got more as he's a likeable guy that you hope does well and he was at Arkansas which is less crazy.  It didn't work out.

The Boar War

Quote from: Roaringboar on October 09, 2017, 09:40:33 pm
Here's the only problem with that........when you say you're looking for "the next big deal", there's always going to be the issue of actually finding that......Let's face it, schools like Tech who got Fuente and even Clemson when they signed Dabo Sweeny were really, REALLY lucky......that type of luck isn't garunteed, and who's to say fans don't call for this new coach's head on a platter after just a few bad seasons.......if you do like everyone wants, bring this coach in with a low salary, really low buyout then the knee jerk reaction becomes fire the coach......hey, it's happened in the NFL......Look at teams like Cleveland and Jacksonville, going through 4-5 coaches in a 6 year span........I know that's the NFL, but it could just as easily become Arkansas......Last thing you want is a spinning door of coaches coming in and out like what happened to A-State, though they didn't really have a choice in their coaches going....... it really doesn't help the program to be in that type of situation......

No one said it was going to be easy.  It is the defining quality of an excellent AD.  That and a lot of luck.

greenEGnHAWGS

Fuente isn't coming to AR. He loves it out here and the Hokies are doing well.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

jvanhorn

It would be  a step down for him.  That is a very underated program in this part of the country.

ChicoHog

Va Tech has a good recruiting base also.  the Newport News/Norfolk area is full of players plus DC area, North Carolina and Tennessee.  Much easier job than Arkansas and more prominent nationally the last 25 years.  They played for a National Championship in 1999. 

Paul

Quote from: Justagp on October 09, 2017, 09:09:51 pm
Geoff Calkins is in the know. Did he happen to mention Mike Norvell?
. He's said Norvell wants to be Head Hog

Pork Twain

Nope.

Have you ever been to Tech?  At the absolute best, going to Arkansas would be a lateral move.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

husker71

Va Tech right now (and for the past few years) is a better job than ours.  Cannot think of anything right now that would make ours better.

Pork Twain

Quote from: husker71 on October 10, 2017, 02:02:03 am
Va Tech right now (and for the past few years) is a better job than ours.  Cannot think of anything right now that would make ours better.
By past few years, you mean since the early 90's which would cover the lifetimes of most fans, ages 0-37.  Too many Arkansas fans are still hanging on to the good ole SWC days.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Inhogswetrust

No it isn't. Equal.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ChicoHog on October 09, 2017, 10:30:27 pm
Va Tech has a good recruiting base also.  the Newport News/Norfolk area is full of players plus DC area, North Carolina and Tennessee.  Much easier job than Arkansas and more prominent nationally the last 25 years.  They played for a National Championship in 1999. 

There is also more schools recruiting those players in that recruiting base geography.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

October 10, 2017, 04:08:36 am #34 Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 05:24:48 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: jvanhorn on October 09, 2017, 10:24:39 pm
It would be  a step down for him.  That is a very underated program in this part of the country.

It is underrated by some but it is about the same level as Arkansas.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: carolinahogger on October 09, 2017, 09:12:34 pm
This whole "open the checkbook" concept is ridiculous.  Give them a lower salary plus incentives for winning.  Opening the checkbook got us in this sh**** situation that we are in today.

Especially when it isn't your checkbook......................

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pork Twain on October 10, 2017, 02:36:27 am
By past few years, you mean since the early 90's which would cover the lifetimes of most fans, ages 0-37.  Too many Arkansas fans are still hanging on to the good ole SWC days.

I'm betting there are just as many fans over 37 as under.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ChicoHog on October 09, 2017, 10:30:27 pm

Just like old barn with Cam and tejas with Vince they did it with a super good QB. Haven't touched one since.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on October 09, 2017, 10:24:28 pm
Fuente isn't coming to AR. He loves it out here and the Hokies are doing well.

I'm not going to be the Alabama coach............signed, Nick Saban.

I have no interest in any other job..............signed, a lot of coaches that did take another job.

MissippHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 10, 2017, 04:08:36 am
It is underrated by some but it is about the same level as Arkansas.
Not really.  At this point in time, VaTech is a much better job than Arkansas.  Being in the SEC doesn't have the appeal that it did 5 years ago.  Being in the worst geographic area for recruiting in the SEC makes it even worse. 

Arkansas will not get an established coach.  No one in the SEC will until Little Nicky leaves Tuscaloosa.  Best bet is to find an up and comer in the G5 running an innovative, dynamic offense. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MissippHog on October 10, 2017, 05:38:22 am
Not really.  At this point in time, VaTech is a much better job than Arkansas.  Being in the SEC doesn't have the appeal that it did 5 years ago.  Being in the worst geographic area for recruiting in the SEC makes it even worse. 

Arkansas will not get an established coach.  No one in the SEC will until Little Nicky leaves Tuscaloosa.  Best bet is to find an up and comer in the G5 running an innovative, dynamic offense. 

We got Petrino and Bret so we can get an "established" coach. I've lived in VA and spent time there. Even had VT students work for me in the summer. It is about on the same level as our program. We are down right now but can get back up. When a program pay as well as ours and is competitive with others we play against with a couple of exceptions then we will have a lot of interest by some good coaches. I don't particularly have an issue with an up and comer though. THAT is what VT hired and you say it is a much better job. Hmm. Thanks for helping make my point.

MissippHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 10, 2017, 06:04:16 am
We got Petrino and Bret so we can get an "established" coach. I've lived in VA and spent time there. Even had VT students work for me in the summer. It is about on the same level as our program. We are down right now but can get back up. When a program pay as well as ours and is competitive with others we play against with a couple of exceptions then we will have a lot of interest by some good coaches. I don't particularly have an issue with an up and comer though. THAT is what VT hired and you say it is a much better job. Hmm. Thanks for helping make my point.
And thanks for helping make mine. 
True that we got BP and BB, but how did/have those hires worked out?  Just look at the conference's most recent hires though.  None of them were established head coaches prior to becoming the head coach at their current school.  I expect our next hire will be similar.  Possibly a coordinator at a P5 school or an up and comer head coach from the group of 5.

hoghiker

Justin Fuente is probably as hot as any name in college football as a potential coach up the chain. This is the rub for Hogville. He might consider us if no one else up the chain offers. This is highly unlikely. The reality of where we are at in the pecking order is going to hit Hogville pretty hard methinks.

Redhogs

Quote from: GoldCoastHog on October 09, 2017, 09:05:21 pm
Today , yes. However, they are a Coach removed from doormat status. When Frank Beamer took over, they were a perennial homecoming game. He started from scratch. Remember, success is never linear, nor a given. See the "Mike years " at Bama.
The same thing could be said for us in reverse...as CBP proved.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

go hogues

Quote from: hoghiker on October 10, 2017, 07:47:54 am
The reality of where we are at in the pecking order is going to hit Hogville pretty hard methinks.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 09, 2017, 09:38:27 pm
Fuente is from Tulsa. This is damn near home.

If he doesn't want the SEC it is because he likes where he is at and feels it could be the meal ticket to the very top.

I would not want to be in the SEC while Saban is there cause he ruling the Roost nearly 90% of the time.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

texas tush hog

Quote from: razorbackred1 on October 09, 2017, 08:41:21 pm

Get real dude. Fuentes is at a destination job.

Atlhogfan1

http://tiptop25.com/overrated_ap_poll_era.html

As I've been saying, VT the most overrated program of the last 20 years. 

Perhaps that makes it a good job. I think it is a good job.  Fuentes shouldn't leave especially not for Arkansas.  The OP would be embarrassing if linked outside of our fan base.  Move on to other coaches. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: Paul on October 09, 2017, 11:30:06 pm
. He's said Norvell wants to be Head Hog

I've heard the same.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Roaringboar on October 09, 2017, 09:12:47 pm

No it isn't.  The gap isn't as large.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys.